HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ball hockey shooting tips?

Old
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Ball hockey shooting tips?

I have to be blunt: my shot sucks. I'm not an elite ball hockey player by any means, but shooting is especially problematic. It's gotten to the point where I (literally) pass up good shooting opportunities because I'll flub it.

The main thing is getting the ball off the ground. All of my shots seem to float only two feet off the concrete. When I try to lift it up, it sails ten feet over the goalie. The happy medium is eluding me. The most frustrating part is that I didn't have this problem at all a couple of years ago; hell, my shot was the best part of my game. As far as I know, I haven't changed my technique at all, but the results have completely disappeared.

This is for slapshots, wrist shots, snapshots. My backhand, strangely enough, is pretty good. Anyone have ideas as to what I should do?

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:53 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
I have to be blunt: my shot sucks. I'm not an elite ball hockey player by any means, but shooting is especially problematic. It's gotten to the point where I (literally) pass up good shooting opportunities because I'll flub it.

The main thing is getting the ball off the ground. All of my shots seem to float only two feet off the concrete. When I try to lift it up, it sails ten feet over the goalie. The happy medium is eluding me. The most frustrating part is that I didn't have this problem at all a couple of years ago; hell, my shot was the best part of my game. As far as I know, I haven't changed my technique at all, but the results have completely disappeared.

This is for slapshots, wrist shots, snapshots. My backhand, strangely enough, is pretty good. Anyone have ideas as to what I should do?
How's the follow through? do you go all the way? or do you just flick the ball with your wrist?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:14 PM
genghiz9000

try recording yourself shooting then post it here..or just ask people who you play with

other than that try watching a few youtube videos and SHOOT A LOT.

Have you recently got a new stick (curve) ?

genghiz9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
The Bored Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
How's the follow through? do you go all the way? or do you just flick the ball with your wrist?
The follow-through is probably part of the problem. I either follow-through too far or not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghiz9000 View Post
try recording yourself shooting then post it here..or just ask people who you play with

other than that try watching a few youtube videos and SHOOT A LOT.

Have you recently got a new stick (curve) ?
Yeah, I found some really good videos browsing through here. I got a new stick last season; maybe that's part of the problem?

Old
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
genghiz9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
I got a new stick last season; maybe that's part of the problem?
maybe, I got a new stick few months ago and the curve is very different from what i was using before. Most of my shots would usually go too high..took me some time to adjust. I play a lot of ball hockey btw..

genghiz9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Khabby

It could definitely be the curve of the stick. I started using a ABS zetterberg curve, Took awhile to get used to is cause there isn't much of a curve on it, but now I can pick any part of the net without a problem for wristers. But when I grab any of my other sticks say with more of heel curve with more of a open face, I roof the ball way over the net. I find if you have an open blade for ball hockey your more likely to go real high with the ball since the stick gets under it so much easier, that even with a lower follow through you still get crazy lift on the ball.

Best curves I have used for ball hockey has been the Zetterberg curve or a Nash curve that I had on a cheap TPS R1

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 05:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabby View Post
It could definitely be the curve of the stick. I started using a ABS zetterberg curve, Took awhile to get used to is cause there isn't much of a curve on it, but now I can pick any part of the net without a problem for wristers. But when I grab any of my other sticks say with more of heel curve with more of a open face, I roof the ball way over the net. I find if you have an open blade for ball hockey your more likely to go real high with the ball since the stick gets under it so much easier, that even with a lower follow through you still get crazy lift on the ball.

Best curves I have used for ball hockey has been the Zetterberg curve or a Nash curve that I had on a cheap TPS R1
Just got the 2010 Easton ABS with Zetterberg and i can now pull off tape-to-tapes where i couldnt before. Am still shooting way too high though

Old
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Khabby

Quote:
Just got the 2010 Easton ABS with Zetterberg and i can now pull off tape-to-tapes where i couldnt before. Am still shooting way too high though
Yeah I got a couple of the new 2010 Easton ABS Zetterberg blades in a S5 shaft and a RBK 5k shaft.

Im more of a passer than a shooter anyways, and I find that the zetter curve is really good for passing and back hands. But when I first got this curve I couldn't get the ball up as fast as I wanted. I fixed my follow through and was pickin corners in no time, lol. Really I just wanted a ABS blade for street hockey, and the zetterberg curve was the only one available, but It has grown on me for street hockey, lol

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Yeah I got a couple of the new 2010 Easton ABS Zetterberg blades in a S5 shaft and a RBK 5k shaft.

Im more of a passer than a shooter anyways, and I find that the zetter curve is really good for passing and back hands. But when I first got this curve I couldn't get the ball up as fast as I wanted. I fixed my follow through and was pickin corners in no time, lol. Really I just wanted a ABS blade for street hockey, and the zetterberg curve was the only one available, but It has grown on me for street hockey, lol
Yeah, Easton's ABS blades/sticks form last and this yr only offer Zett, but the new Reebok 2K stick/blade has a wedge curve and a mid curve, maybe even the Crosby i believe, you'll have to go over to MSH and check the catalogue

Old
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
CSampson

Shoot like you would shoot on the ice. Make sure you're using your stick flex. It's not as effective, but shooting doesn't change whether you're on the ice or pavement. Visualize it at first if its giving you trouble. Try not to depend on your curve, nor getting under the ball to get it up. Complete your follow through. Practice makes perfect!

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Shoot like you would shoot on the ice. Make sure you're using your stick flex. It's not as effective, but shooting doesn't change whether you're on the ice or pavement. Visualize it at first if its giving you trouble. Try not to depend on your curve, nor getting under the ball to get it up. Complete your follow through. Practice makes perfect!
The mechanics of shooting during ball hockey and shooting during ice hockey are completely different. You rely on wrist and forearm strength alot more during ball hockey cause it's difficult to load a flexed stick while running.

Always follow through, in the direction of where you want it to go. For wrist shots, try pulling the ball back behind you farther than you normally would on ice, it makes it easier to build up the speed of your shot, and with a good follow through, gives you plenty of time to get the ball up where you want it.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
I dunno, but this is incorrect, as the above poster mentioned, shooting a ball is VERY different, relying on more the snap of the wrist. Also, the ball is very different than the puck obviously

Old
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
The Bored Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
The mechanics of shooting during ball hockey and shooting during ice hockey are completely different. You rely on wrist and forearm strength alot more during ball hockey cause it's difficult to load a flexed stick while running.

Always follow through, in the direction of where you want it to go. For wrist shots, try pulling the ball back behind you farther than you normally would on ice, it makes it easier to build up the speed of your shot, and with a good follow through, gives you plenty of time to get the ball up where you want it.
Quote:
I dunno, but this is incorrect, as the above poster mentioned, shooting a ball is VERY different, relying on more the snap of the wrist. Also, the ball is very different than the puck obviously
Haha yeah, I tried flexing and shooting during a practice once. The results were hardly desirable .
I'll give the wrist-snapping and follow through a shot.

Much appreciated, everyone!

Old
05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
drivefortwentyfive

Quote:

Yeah man, setting me up for all the Ginos with my Spezza stick.

drivefortwentyfive is offline   Reply With Quote