Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

10-11 OHL Season

Old
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Goaltending should be fine if Dark keeps his grubby hands off of Houser.

Martin I think was a small biproduct of Kadri. The kid has the tools but it's the drive IMO that he is missing. It helps when you make the team because your father is part of it.

Worrad and Harrington will both be top 3. Worrad showed some stuff in his call ups that he's ready for the OHL and very well may give Harrington a run. Healthy competition is good. I think McNeill's season next year rests in the this summers training. If he can added weight and foot speed he'll fill in the fourth spot if no one from south of the border shows. Tommy Hughes looked like he can play at this level again his summer of training will go a long way to helping him earn a 5th or 6th role.

My only fear again is with the size of this team and the toughness. As it stands now Schinkelshoek is the only guy maybe Desousa that will drop the mitts. Plus the size of this team is rather small. Fox and Griffith I'm sure will grow but missing Salters will hurt and missing Desando and Rinaldo after the deadline left a huge hole going forward into the playoffs.

My thoughts London finishes 3-6th right now. If Jacques moves on to Sudbury then it moves on from 4th to 8th. But that's without knowing about the south of the border kids showing up.
Is this the same Bill Dark that London fans were crowing about for stealing from the Windsor Spitfires this past offseason?

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
playthetrap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Is this the same Bill Dark that London fans were crowing about for stealing from the Windsor Spitfires this past offseason?
And who might those London fans be?

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan40 View Post
And who might those London fans be?
Sorry should have prefaced my comments by saying there wasn't much talk on here. It was mainly on the NOOF and one or two fans saying this was signs of the Spitfires crumbling and disharmony in the organization.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 08:25 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Clifford will be with Guelph.
I am more worried about him being in Los Angeles than Guelph. He was the final cut last year.

Cheers,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
JL17

Bill Dark made Hutch and Houser into inconsistent goalies. He's trying or tried to turn Houser from a athletic reflex oriented goalie to a positional goalie. It got to the point for Houser that he had no idea where his rebounds were going. I don't know how you start the year like he did and then try to change him that much. Tweek what is wrong and don't touch the rest. If the kid has a 900+ save percentage on the worst team in the USHL facing 40+ shots per game that means he's doing something right. Hutch improved under his watch but then started falling apart close to the end of the year.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Hutch improved under his watch but then started falling apart close to the end of the year.
When Hutchinson was with the Colts, it seemed like the opposite. In his draft year, he put on one of the most amazing displays I've ever seen by a goaltender in a playoff series during the first round against Brampton.

Quote:
Hutchinson has allowed just eight goals while turning away 187 pucks through four games. Only Niagara IceDogs overager Sebastian Dahm has allowed fewer goals in these OHL playoffs, letting four get through on 124 shots in his team's four-game sweep against the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors.
It was kind of like what Grubauer did in the final this year, except that there was no margin for error that year. If the Colts gave up two goals, it was over...

I'm sorry to hear that Hutchinson has progressed as we thought he would.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-09-2010, 09:15 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
When Hutchinson was with the Colts, it seemed like the opposite. In his draft year, he put on one of the most amazing displays I've ever seen by a goaltender in a playoff series during the first round against Brampton.

It was kind of like what Grubauer did in the final this year, except that there was no margin for error that year. If the Colts gave up two goals, it was over...

I'm sorry to hear that Hutchinson has progressed as we thought he would.

Cheers,
Shawn
He was a huge reason for the Knights regular season record. More so then Kadri. But come the end of the year he started letting in those goals that can deflate a team. At times though throughout the season he struggled with soft goals and rebound control. But there were times where he looked like he should be in the NHL. Flat out stole games.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that by trade-deadline after the GM gets to evaluate his team that a lot of the vets will be off-loaded for a bunch of picks and young prospects.
The Colts may be ok this year but the long range with very little in way of draft-picks could be deadly.
Trust me, going through a rebuild (like we did in Kitchener) can be almost as rewarding as watching a powerhouse like you guys have been.
Exactly my point, Barrie has 5 or 6 guys who can contribute, but for the most part they are in their last year, just like London it's in Barrie's best interests to sell those few assets for top dollar to the contenders of next year, and get the rebuild going so you're back in the playoffs for 2011-2012, everyone's gotta miss the playoffs sometime..

Even your top powerhouses (Kitchener in 2009, Windsor 2007, and London 2000)

Only 4 teams have been able to make the playoffs every year since the turn of the century.
Plymouth (Since: 1991 as Detroit Compuware Ambassadors)
Guelph (Since: 1992)
Ottawa (Since: 1995)
Barrie (Never- Since: 1996)

So yes, Barrie is the only organization to never miss the playoffs, but now is a better and most likely time than ever. They sold the farm for a title run, and they now have to rebuild as their few players that can be impactful are best used as trade assets rather than an attempt to finish 8th, then Barrie will be in desparate need, and will probably be embarassing in 11-12

Last edited by Default101: 05-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
So yes, Barrie is the only organization to never miss the playoffs, but now is a better and most likely time than ever. They sold the farm for a title run, and they now have to rebuild as their few players that can be impactful are best used as trade assets rather than an attempt to finish 8th, then Barrie will be in desparate need, and will probably be embarassing in 11-12
People keep saying this, but they had a full complement of picks this year, and six picks in the first 5 rounds. The Colts have rebuilt before, and they may do so again this year. It's not what the club is saying at this point though in subscriber communications (for whatever they're worth). My bet is they see what they have until the deadline though, and decide to go one way or the other at that point.

Best,
Shawn

Old
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
He was a huge reason for the Knights regular season record. More so then Kadri. But come the end of the year he started letting in those goals that can deflate a team. At times though throughout the season he struggled with soft goals and rebound control. But there were times where he looked like he should be in the NHL. Flat out stole games.
Well, maybe all is not lost then. I'll tell you this, that 2008 playoff run was insane...and the save that he made in overtime of game 4 broke the Battalion's back. Wish I could find video of it - like I say maybe the nicest save I've ever seen at any level of hockey. Everybody in the rink went silent - it was assumed it went in...then the place erupted.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
People keep saying this, but they had a full complement of picks this year, and six picks in the first 5 rounds. The Colts have rebuilt before, and they may do so again this year. It's not what the club is saying at this point though in subscriber communications (for whatever they're worth). My bet is they see what they have until the deadline though, and decide to go one way or the other at that point.

Best,
Shawn
I would assume if a good offer came up for one of their top players they would take it. Same happened in Sarnia, we had alot of solid picks last year, we still went into rebuild mode. I know it's not the same thing, but it is somewhat a relevent comparison because they did well in that draft.

As far as their picks they may have had 6 in the first 5 rounds, but look at their picks. Kerby Rychel who is 50/50 at best to report, and even if he does he's not going to be a top end player, his projection was a as a secondary offensive option that plays his heart out. their next 2 picks are are 2 late 3rd round picks. Late 3rd round picks usually don't make an impact as 16 year olds, unless they're home run picks, and those two are not home run picks.

This was a good draft for Barrie's future, but thats what my point was about, When i say they sold the farm, i meant they sold anyone they could in terms of players who will be good next year, or the year after for guys who would be better this year if they could swing the deal within the amount of cards they had. They did a good job of not losing a pile of picks, but a bunch of top 100 1994's isn't going to do much for them next year, especially since the only guy who would be a lock to make the team is 50/50 to report at best.

Maybe Barrie does make the playoffs, but this was based on looking at the other teams, and assessing Barrie's situation. It would make no sense for them to keep what they have, fight for 6th or 7th, hope to get real lucky and win a playoff round, then come back next year with absolutely nothing.

Sarnia made that mistake when they held onto Jamie Arniel, Matt Martin, Mark Katic, Dan Spence, and Justin DiBenedetto. The last thing i wanted was to see those 5 leave, but they should have, our GM was a moron, and we got destroyed by Plymouth in the first round, and got absolutely zero for all 5 of them and wound up having to play a bunch of 16 and 17 year old's on their top line.

Hopefully Barrie's GM (and London's for that matter) takes a lesson from Sarnia's 08-09 season and trade their assets for good 16, 17 year olds and picks, and start building their next contender.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
playthetrap*

London doesn't need to take a lesson from the Sting on that. The Knights already experienced the rebuild when trading Mason and Perry but still finishing fourth in the Conference. I don't know why you keep saying they should rebuild. They have 6 forwards who can play top 6 roles and two 16 year olds from this past season that are ready to have increased offensive roles. Good young goalie (Houser) and great young defenceman in Harrington. The Knights are trying to lure potential NHL first rounder Jarred Tinordi and Adam Clendening so the Knights are probably far from a rebuild next season.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I don't know why you aren't mentioning other teams in the West who are in a much more needed position to rebuild than London, I just don't get it.

Old
05-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Stumbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
I would assume if a good offer came up for one of their top players they would take it. Same happened in Sarnia, we had alot of solid picks last year, we still went into rebuild mode. I know it's not the same thing, but it is somewhat a relevent comparison because they did well in that draft.

As far as their picks they may have had 6 in the first 5 rounds, but look at their picks. Kerby Rychel who is 50/50 at best to report, and even if he does he's not going to be a top end player, his projection was a as a secondary offensive option that plays his heart out. their next 2 picks are are 2 late 3rd round picks. Late 3rd round picks usually don't make an impact as 16 year olds, unless they're home run picks, and those two are not home run picks.

This was a good draft for Barrie's future, but thats what my point was about, When i say they sold the farm, i meant they sold anyone they could in terms of players who will be good next year, or the year after for guys who would be better this year if they could swing the deal within the amount of cards they had. They did a good job of not losing a pile of picks, but a bunch of top 100 1994's isn't going to do much for them next year, especially since the only guy who would be a lock to make the team is 50/50 to report at best.

Maybe Barrie does make the playoffs, but this was based on looking at the other teams, and assessing Barrie's situation. It would make no sense for them to keep what they have, fight for 6th or 7th, hope to get real lucky and win a playoff round, then come back next year with absolutely nothing.

Sarnia made that mistake when they held onto Jamie Arniel, Matt Martin, Mark Katic, Dan Spence, and Justin DiBenedetto. The last thing i wanted was to see those 5 leave, but they should have, our GM was a moron, and we got destroyed by Plymouth in the first round, and got absolutely zero for all 5 of them and wound up having to play a bunch of 16 and 17 year old's on their top line.

Hopefully Barrie's GM (and London's for that matter) takes a lesson from Sarnia's 08-09 season and trade their assets for good 16, 17 year olds and picks, and start building their next contender.
They have a GM? They have the possibility of only having 2 players back on defense. This team is going to struggle mightily next year. Any OA's that come back from camps should be traded for younger players for a complete rebuild. Forget the making the playoffs for a 16th year. Who cares. When we find out who is the GM, or for that matter, the coaches are, we will then see the direction this team has to go. No Pain, No Gain

Stumbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I'll post the gens possible roster here:

Goalies:
Kevin Baillie
Michael Zador
****I doubt we carry both these guys for the season, one of them has to go*****

Defence:

Kyle Hope
Scott Valentine
Andrew Wilson (I think he won't crack this team)
Jimmy McDowell
Tony DeHart (OA)-He's a lock for an OA spot if he returns
Calvin DeHaan
Colin Suellentrop

Prospects who have a shot at the roster:
Joshua Brown (09 pick, has a real shot at a roster spot)
Cody Payne (he's committed to the USNTDP so doubt he reports for atleast 2 seasons)
Mitch Eden (5th round pick this year, longshot but who knows)
Patrick Koudys (09 pick with a NCAA scholarship. Doubtful)
Eric Chevrier (09 pick)
Brett Curran (American flyer pick from 09)
Zach Shapiro (5th rounder in 08, has a NCAA commitment though)

Overall I only see one spot open on D, and I'd expect it to go to Brown, considering the other prospects are longshots to make the team or report. I can't see them keeping Wilson and would rather see a younger guy on the roster.

Forwards:
Nick Esposto
Alain Berger (import and OA, hopefully he returns as he was solid before his injury)
John Padulo
Andy Andreoff
Cody Alcock
JP Labardo
Conor Stokes
Jeff Brown (OA)
Dan Pachis
Boone Jenner
Victor Terreri
Christian Thomas
Emerson Clark

Prospects who have a chance at the team:
Scott Laughton (10 1st rounder, a lock for the team)
Mark Petaccio (10 2nd rounder, he's a lock for the team)
Brian Hughes (09 5th rounder, played a handful of games this season)
Brent Norris (09 5th rounder)
Liam Board (09 8th rounder)
Sean McGovern (09 8th rounder
Lucas Lessio (09 1st, acquired via trade...if he reports it will be a great boost to the lineup.

That counts 13 forwards. I expect them to carry 14 throughout the season, and I fully expect Laughton and Petaccio to make the roster bringing it to 15 and I would think Hughes has earned a shot at the team. I could see guys like Terreri and Clark gone. I know Clark has a lot of heart but I would rather see a young guy develop other than a guy who does bring energy but not much else to the team.

We do also have an import spot open, maybe two depending on Berger. I could see the gens try to add a forward to the roster. Overall this is a pretty solid young team who should make the playoffs. The big question is once again in net. Both goalies showed they could be #1 goalies but were far to inconsistent to hold the #1 spot for long periods of time. I think the D is pretty much set and the forwards spots are definitely up in the air for some of these returning players especially if Lessio reports 3 of these forwards last season could be moved.

I don't expect a ton from the gennies this season but a realistic claim would be a 6 spot in the playoffs, i think anything more is great but once again it will come down to how good the goalies play for us.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Brock

William Wallen back to Sweden as I anticipated.

http://frolundaindians.com/sv/frolun...-hedman-klara/

Old
05-20-2010, 08:35 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Who are some players Kitchener could target in the import draft? In the K-W Record, it made a reference to Adam Larsson. Is this possible? Probable?
I've now read a couple of places that Spott is willing (or is working on a deal) to trade this pick, plus a roster player, for a 19 year old defenseman.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:19 PM
howlman

Rumour I've heard, O'Dell (OA) and Maggio to Kitchener for Tipoff (OA), Mascioli (OA), 5th overall Import pick and a roster player going to Sudbury.

Some people think O'Dell will go pro, others think he's not ready and will be back as an OA.. he has yet to sign with Atlanta. Maggio is one of the best 1991 Dmen available and wants out of Sudbury, and O'Dell has stated that no matter what he will not be playing for Sudbury next year (I'm assuming he thinks he will stick in the pros). O'Dell and Akeson have great chemistry together from their days playing on the same team in the CJHL before they both came to the OHL. Mascioli also has ties to Sudbury being from the area.

Should be interesting to see if the rumours I heard have any legs to them, with Kitchener and Sudbury making a deal close to the Import draft. Stay tuned!

howlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Rumour I've heard, O'Dell (OA) and Maggio to Kitchener for Tipoff (OA), Mascioli (OA), 5th overall Import pick and a roster player going to Sudbury.

Some people think O'Dell will go pro, others think he's not ready and will be back as an OA.. he has yet to sign with Atlanta. Maggio is one of the best 1991 Dmen available and wants out of Sudbury, and O'Dell has stated that no matter what he will not be playing for Sudbury next year (I'm assuming he thinks he will stick in the pros). O'Dell and Akeson have great chemistry together from their days playing on the same team in the CJHL before they both came to the OHL. Mascioli also has ties to Sudbury being from the area.

Should be interesting to see if the rumours I heard have any legs to them, with Kitchener and Sudbury making a deal close to the Import draft. Stay tuned!
I could see that trade being made, it benefits both teams.
I wouldn't be surprised if the roster player is Mike Morrison (Sudbury lad) or Mickey Sartoretto whos brother is a draftee of Sudbury.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
That's a new one on me. I've heard rumours of a deal with Oshawa, involving DeHaan though.

I don't mind the Tipoff+Mascioli+Import pick to Sudbury, provided O'Dell is returned to the OHL. Not sure how another roster player tips the scales - guess it depends who it is.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
zaluty

Where will Nathan Moon wind up for his OA season.

zaluty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
HockeyAddict30

Does the trade freeze lift after the Mem Cup is over? Anyone know the specific date?

The big question is - will Windsor unload?

HockeyAddict30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitRangerFan View Post
Does the trade freeze lift after the Mem Cup is over? Anyone know the specific date?

The big question is - will Windsor unload?
June 1rst.

Depends on who is back/reports in September. If everyone expected returns as well as those who are hoped to report do show up then a few deals could keep Windsor rolling with another strong season next year.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:04 PM
stormtracker

I am surprised at the lack of comments about the potential for the Guelph Storm to have a really strong season based on the returning players. However, given the underachievement of the team this year and the fact that Jason (over his head) Brooks is still in charge, I can understand why enthusiam might be muted.

I wish that Guelph fans had the optimism that London fans do about what appears to be a rebuilding club. Then that is why Dale was coach of the year and Mark is no slouch in the executive suite.

Congratulations to the Spitfires but I would like to see a couple of teams like the Storm run the score up on them a few times this year. (Not sure if that will be possible with Campbell in net).

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Hotsauce

Congratz to Spitz. Truly a great thing to go back to back for the cup.

Next year it will be another team, and the O looks strong.

stormtracker: Guelph is quiet, but they are hungry for wins, and know what went wrong last year?

I heard they will make some noise with import draft, trades, and other signings?

Who's returning? Who's coming? Who are they looking at to trade for who?

I forgot to mention the Palmeri sweepstakes. Any action?

Last edited by Hotsauce: 05-25-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Hotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
playthetrap*

I tried predicting the West in the Prospects Forum. What does everyone think?

1)Kitchener
2)Windsor
3)London
4)Saginaw
5)Soo
6)Guelph
7)OwenSound
8)Erie
9)Plymouth
10)Sarnia

Speaking from my team's point of view, the Knights will really depend on hard work from the forwards since they don't have that top end "guy" this year. The defence and goaltending should be fine and it will be better if Jarred Tinordi comes North.