HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hextall in running for TB GM job

Old
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Hextall in running for TB GM job

Darren Dreger was a guest on NHL Live yesterday at 1pm. Dave Nonis is high on TB's list but MLSE is trying to keep Nonis and continue having him work with Brian Burke. Dreger reported Kings AGM Ron Hextall is a candidate for the TB job. Jeffrey Vinik wants a big name/superstar GM. Pierre McGuire has interviewed twice for the job as well.

So if we lose Hextall who's the next assistant GM?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
It has to be someone from this board.

or

Luc Robitaille?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Reaper45

Personally, I think Lombardi would promote one of Yannetti or Futa.

Old
05-09-2010, 12:22 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Yeah, I was just gonna say it probably would be Futa.

You never know; remember when Lombardi talked about bringing Gretzky into the organization? He could bring in Gretz as AGM but more as a figurehead in the organization.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Sybil227

Patrick Roy

or, if he wants to keep the Philly connection:
Eric Lindros

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Yeah, I was just gonna say it probably would be Futa.

You never know; remember when Lombardi talked about bringing Gretzky into the organization? He could bring in Gretz as AGM but more as a figurehead in the organization.
That would be the worst thing to possibly happen to us. A cosnultant? Alright... Assistant GM? Apocalypse.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
What is exactly the job of the GM Assi ??????
Make coffey for Lombardi ???? Be sure the room is well temperated ????
Drive him to McDonald's ????

I would be happy for Hextall to get a real job and makes his own team.
I'm pretty sure the whole brass up in the office is not that healthy
as they try to show us.

I don't think all of 'em are that happy with the Kings and their perfomance

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Shellz

ewww

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
What is exactly the job of the GM Assi ??????
Make coffey for Lombardi ???? Be sure the room is well temperated ????
Drive him to McDonald's ????

I would be happy for Hextall to get a real job and makes his own team.
I'm pretty sure the whole brass up in the office is not that healthy
as they try to show us.

I don't think all of 'em are that happy with the Kings and their perfomance
Hextall has a real job, or did you forget that he is the Monarchs' GM as well. He has done a lot of work with certain kids in Manchester, and in general busts his ass in LA. I wouldn't doubt his contributions to the Kings recent success at all.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

LOL @ people who think Hextall doesn't do anything in the Kings organization, not only is he Dean's assistant GM, he's the Monarchs GM.. I can see Robitaille becoming the assistant GM or Gretz coming in and helping the team out as a consultant/assistant GM

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Hextall has a real job, or did you forget that he is the Monarchs' GM as well. He has done a lot of work with certain kids in Manchester, and in general busts his ass in LA. I wouldn't doubt his contributions to the Kings recent success at all.
I'm sure he gets paid a good penny also. I doubt he leaves the Kings in favor of Tampa

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
I'm sure he gets paid a good penny also. I doubt he leaves the Kings in favor of Tampa
Of course he would leave if he was offered the GM job. That's a huge promotion.

Just like Tippett left to join the Stars as a head coach. No one wants to be an assistant for too long.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Those of you who complained about our pro scouting in the other thread should be pulling for this to happen. Hextall is in charge of pro scouting.

For that reason I doubt Futa or Yannetti are promoted as they are doing such a bang up job on the amateur side of things.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Randart

Just want to say...

Grats to Hexi cause his work is being complimented in just being considered for a GM job! I think he does deserve to get his chance at running a organization he is doing good an he is all about doing better! Good for RH!

I wish he was a bit more positive when speaking of Frolov but thats just cause I want Fro back here! But that is off topic... Now as to who gets the promotion, you guys have made great suggestions and I agree with them Luc or Gretz would be making alot of sense from the stand point they both have some experiance in management now, especially Gretz... Will be very interesting to see where this goes.

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
Grats to Hexi cause his work is being complimented in just being considered for a GM job! I think he does deserve to get his chance at running a organization he is doing good an he is all about doing better! Good for RH!

I wish he was a bit more positive when speaking of Frolov but thats just cause I want Fro back here! But that is off topic... Now as to who gets the promotion, you guys have made great suggestions and I agree with them Luc or Gretz would be making alot of sense from the stand point they both have some experiance in management now, especially Gretz... Will be very interesting to see where this goes.
I hate to be negative but I don't think Luc or Gretzky make any sense at all. Gretzky isn't going to put in the kind of effort and hard work that Hextall does in that job. We don't need a figure head in that position.

From Luc's comments in the past, I doubt that he has the patience to do the job of GM down the line. I'm afraid that much like Kings' GMs in the past he would constantly be trying to bring in a big name to try and provide star power instead of winning hockey.

Think about it folks, what did the Kings ever really win all the time Gretzky was here? ONE division title, and ONE trip to the Stanley Cup Finals. The team got past the second round in the playoffs exactly ONCE. Give me a GM that knows how to develop talent from within the organization instead of trading for it, that is what we would need after Lombardi is done here.

Old
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
The major issue i have with Luc or Gretz as assistant GM is what happens the day DL gets canned.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

You are assuming DL will get canned. I think is going to win us a cup or two or three and be around a long long time.

Old
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
You are assuming DL will get canned. I think is going to win us a cup or two or three and be around a long long time.
I think he will too. I would much rather see a younger guy like Nelson Emerson in the Assistant GM job if Hextall leaves to learn Lombardi's ways, so he can take over when Lombardi is done. Again, I don't think Luc has what it takes to be a successful GM. Emerson has been in the trenches so to speak helping develop young talent for the Kings and understands the importance of scouting and player development at all levels.

Old
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

ummm ain't MIKE O’CONNELL still with the Staff ?
IF Hextal were to leave {which I hope he stays}, I'd think he'd be the front runner with his experience w/ Boston, no ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Those of you who complained about our pro scouting in the other thread should be pulling for this to happen. Hextall is in charge of pro scouting.

No he's not. That job belongs to Rob Laird. The rest of the pro scouts are Bob Berry, Oto Hascak, Steve Greeley and Alyn McCauley.

Hextall, "assists President/General Manager Dean Lombardi in all facets of the Kings Hockey Operations department, including contract negotiations and player personnel, and overseeing the organization’s top prospects."

Old
05-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
ummm ain't MIKE O’CONNELL still with the Staff ?
IF Hextal were to leave {which I hope he stays}, I'd think he'd be the front runner with his experience w/ Boston, no ?
He's still around, he's currently in charge of Pro Development and Special Assignments.

Old
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I would be extremely surprised if Gretzky took a job as a consultant or Assistant GM for any team in the league. Stunned.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, but the last thing I think any of us want is a bad season...followed by DL getting canned...followed by Luc or Gretz taking the reins. You would hope Liewieke and co. wouldn't let that happen, but yeah.

Then again, I always think in worst case scenarios when it comes to AEG's control of the office.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No he's not. That job belongs to Rob Laird. The rest of the pro scouts are Bob Berry, Oto Hascak, Steve Greeley and Alyn McCauley.

Hextall, "assists President/General Manager Dean Lombardi in all facets of the Kings Hockey Operations department, including contract negotiations and player personnel, and overseeing the organization’s top prospects."
I didn't say he DOES the pro scouting, I said he is in charge, as in, oversees. I distinctly remember an interview with Hexy where he said that Dean was more focused on dealing with the amateur scouting and that Hexy focused more closely on the pro side, then relaying info to Dean to be discussed and decided upon.

I know he assists Dean with everything, but I am positive he said that they break it up more than that. Not that Hextall makes final decisions or anything, just that he spends more time dealing with the pro scouts than Dean does, who spends more time with Futa and Yannetti.

Old
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'd be good with Nelly taking over for Hexy. Always had the utmost respect for Nelly.