HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 VI

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
I might be late with this, but this is about the exact opposite of what I want the coach to be saying after that playoff effort :
Yeah Boudreau never shoulders the blame. I didn't expect him to say anything like: "I didn't adjust," "I had a dickfest for Fleischmann and Semin," or "We got out-coached."

Old
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
init2winit

I already knew that he wouldn't take the blame, but to say you don't want it to detract from the season the players had? Their season was a failure because of the playoffs and there is no way the regular season accomplishments are going to mean anything if you disappoint in the only season that matters.

Old
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
I already knew that he wouldn't take the blame, but to say you don't want it to detract from the season the players had? Their season was a failure because of the playoffs and there is no way the regular season accomplishments are going to mean anything if you disappoint in the only season that matters.
The regular season is close to meaningless. They are far from deserving a pat on the back and a "Good Job". The season was a "FAIL". All it did in the end was bring to light what most of us new going into the season.

Old
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I might be late with this, but this is about the exact opposite of what I want the coach to be saying after that playoff effort :
Teams reflect their coaches.

He doesn't man-up, and he's done.

Edit: Qualifying. ;P

Last edited by EroCaps: 05-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
txpd

Your words are marked. Boudreau is done. Who will be the coach in training camp?

Old
05-09-2010, 07:40 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Your words are marked. Boudreau is done. Who will be the coach in training camp?
Ovechkin. Player-coach. Book it.

Old
05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Ovechkin. Player-coach. Book it.
Not with all the practices he skips

Old
05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Bruce is afraid of owning his failures and constantly coddles his players the way he coddles himself. The lack of discipline demanded and collective pants-pissing at pressure situations manifests itself when the chips are down. Teams reflect their coaches. He's a petulant baby.

Mark my words: He's done in D.C.
You've got to be the most over-dramatic person on this board.

Old
05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You've got to be the most over-dramatic person on this board.
The irony of his avatar.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Millhaus

I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I can't recall any example of it off hand, when has a team lost a playoff series and the coach said he was simply out coached? Or for that matter said something to the effect of, 'I put my trust in player X, Y, and Z and they let me down?'

Again, not saying that hasn't happened, I just don't remember when if it did...

Old
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
alexthekidd

Some of these are awesome, really a fan of the digital ones.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...ine/#more-4102

Old
05-13-2010, 10:11 AM
NeilYoung

Semin, Ovie and Varly playing right now if anyone cares
http://www.dailyfunsports.com/

Old
05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

This article will make most of us feel a little better. Well, at least about Ovie.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=3019856

Old
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
werash39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
This article will make most of us feel a little better. Well, at least about Ovie.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=3019856
Decent article although the Crosby-Ovechkin debate is just starting to get stale.

My only issue is that most pundits seem to firmly believe that Crosby is a very good defensive player and one of the best "two-way" players in the game. I don't see it. He routinely makes poor plays in his own zone and fails to cover his man. He more than makes up for it on the other end but just because he is a center (which is a more "important" position than a wing) they think he is automatically good in his own zone.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:52 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by werash39 View Post
Decent article although the Crosby-Ovechkin debate is just starting to get stale.

My only issue is that most pundits seem to firmly believe that Crosby is a very good defensive player and one of the best "two-way" players in the game. I don't see it. He routinely makes poor plays in his own zone and fails to cover his man. He more than makes up for it on the other end but just because he is a center (which is a more "important" position than a wing) they think he is automatically good in his own zone.
It's a combination of being a center and being Canadian that makes people assume he's a good two-way player. The guy averaged 19 seconds of PK time in the playoffs, almost all of it late in games in which the Pens were trailing and were sniping for shorties. I think that kind of says it all about whether his own team considers him to be a "very good" defensive forward.

And as I've said for years, if you just look at the frequency with which opponents score when Crosby is on the ice, he's a defensive liability. Over the last two years (regular season), Crosby has been on the ice for 30 more even-strength goals against than Ovechkin (20% more) in almost identical minutes (Crosby has played 3322 minutes to Ovie's 3309, a 0.4% difference). This year, normed for even ice time, the numbers aren't even close. And nobody is calling Ovechkin a masterful two-way force, nor can anyone rightly say that the Caps have some sort of magical defensive core or goaltender which would account for the difference.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 05-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old
05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Foy

as much as I hate to defend Crosby, when Ovechkin is on the ice, he's out there with a guy who actually is one of the best 2-way forwards, Backstrom.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
as much as I hate to defend Crosby, when Ovechkin is on the ice, he's out there with a guy who actually is one of the best 2-way forwards, Backstrom.
I'm not sure that's really defending Crosby. Backstrom is a good two-way player, but he's hardly a Selke contender (yet) and doesn't really kill penalties. And despite that, and despite our mediocre defensive corps and inconsistent goaltending, and Ovie's so-called personal defensive liabilities, Ovie's numbers are dramatically better than Sid's.

Or, if you want to make the more direct comparison, normed for ice time, Crosby was on the ice for 21 more even-strength goals against than Backstrom just this season.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
I'm not sure that's really defending Crosby. Backstrom is a good two-way player, but he's hardly a Selke contender (yet) and doesn't really kill penalties. And despite that, and despite our mediocre defensive corps and inconsistent goaltending, and Ovie's so-called personal defensive liabilities, Ovie's numbers are dramatically better than Sid's.

Or, if you want to make the more direct comparison, normed for ice time, Crosby was on the ice for 21 more even-strength goals against than Backstrom just this season.
I'd say Backstrom might even be a bit better defensively than Sid. For all the slack Ovechkin takes on his defense I don't think its that big of a problem. Wasn't there a stretch of 13 games he wasn't on the ice for an opposition goal?

Old
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
werash39

Quote:
It's a combination of being a center and being Canadian that makes people assume he's a good two-way player. The guy averaged 19 seconds of PK time in the playoffs, almost all of it late in games in which the Pens were trailing and were sniping for shorties. I think that kind of says it all about whether his own team considers him to be a "very good" defensive forward.

And as I've said for years, if you just look at the frequency with which opponents score when Crosby is on the ice, he's a defensive liability. Over the last two years (regular season), Crosby has been on the ice for 30 more even-strength goals against than Ovechkin (20% more) in almost identical minutes (Crosby has played 3322 minutes to Ovie's 3309, a 0.4% difference). This year, normed for even ice time, the numbers aren't even close. And nobody is calling Ovechkin a masterful two-way force, nor can anyone rightly say that the Caps have some sort of magical defensive core or goaltender which would account for the difference.
Good points...and sorry for turning this into another Crosby-OV thing. I just wanted to say out loud how Crosby is not a good "two way" player as mentioned in the article. He's a dynamic offensive player who does play hard who is suspect in his own zone. Ovechkin can be described the same way. The great "two way" guys usually aren't phenomenal (points wise) in the offensive zone because it takes a tremendous amount of energy to be great in the defensive zone. That's why Datsyuk might never be a 100 point guy.

Old
05-16-2010, 03:15 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Ovechkin now has 1 goal in all 5 World Championship games so far. 4 of them are game winners.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

But, at the same time, you can argue that the Pens goaltending and D were worse than ours, at least at times.

Not sure what point I'm trying to make, really, as I don't disagree that Crosby's D is overrated.

Old
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Has there been any more news on Poti? Is the eye injury thought to be career-threatening?

Old
05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Has there been any more news on Poti? Is the eye injury thought to be career-threatening?
I believe they said he'll be fine for next season.

Quote:
"There was a mirror in the trainer's room," Poti said. "I looked in the mirror. Both my eyes were wide open, but I couldn't see out of the one on the right." An examination Wednesday revealed that his vision has returned to 20/20 and that he's regained full movement of the eye. Doctors expect that he'll be able to resume playing next season without any lingering issues.
And he's going to start wearing a visor.

Quote:
"Going through what I've gone through the past two weeks, putting my family through it, my wife through it, I've decided it's really not worth not wearing a visor to protect something that's so important," he said. "I'm definitely going to wear one."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051304265.html

Old
05-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Thanks, mon.

Old
05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor