HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky

Old
05-09-2010, 10:13 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
The question is people, will we be happy with a Turco-Boucher tandem next year if we know that we will have Bobrovsky developing in the AHL, and in two years, if all works out, we start to roll a Turco-Bobrovsky tandem that slowly turns into a Bobrovsky-Turco tandem?

I think with the blueliners we have, that this is our best bet to move forward without absolutely destroying the absurd depth at forward we now have. We already weakened it when we lost Lupul and Knuble, can we really afford to lose more, unless its a Hartnell or Briere (I don't see Briere leaving though...) because in that case, we open up salary in order to bring back some of the depth lost.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Have there been any quotes from the organization about him?
Not anything outside the typical, "We're happy to have him," and "We think he can succeed here," stuff.

The real talking the organization does is through action. Little went out and scouted a number of goalies over the last few months. He spent a lot of time in Russia looking at Bobrovsky compared to other goalies.

There was talk around the media overseas that this was the Flyers' goalie. If they wanted him they got him. It's not because he wasn't being looked into by other teams. Instead it's because we posed a unique opportunity for Bobrovsky. We could promise him the moon and the stars so to speak whereas other organizations certainly couldn't.

They picked him over Rynnas, Scrivens, and others. He was their guy. He has the most potential, the most experience, and he's the youngest. I think at this point, any consolation prize other than Bobrovsky would have been failure to them.

I mean everyone here probably thinks Gustavsson was such an amazing pick-up right?

Compare the numbers of these free-agent goalie signings at the age of 21 including league/strength of competition/numbers:

Hiller - 28 (ANA): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10454

Backlund - 28 (PHI): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1154

Gustavsson - 25 (TOR): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2250

Wesslau - 25 (CBJ): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=605

Scrivens - 23 (TOR): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=25777

Rynnas - 22 (TOR): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7634

Bobrovsky - 21 (PHI): http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14590

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
The question is people, will we be happy with a Turco-Boucher tandem next year if we know that we will have Bobrovsky developing in the AHL, and in two years, if all works out, we start to roll a Turco-Bobrovsky tandem that slowly turns into a Bobrovsky-Turco tandem?
I assume it will go like this:

2010-11: Turco/Ellis - Boucher

2011-12: Turco/Ellis - Bobrovsky

2012-13: Turco/Ellis/Bobrovsky - Bobrovsky/Eriksson

2013-14: Bobrovsky - Eriksson

That's if everything goes as planned.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I assume it will go like this:

2010-11: Turco/Ellis - Boucher

That's if everything goes as planned.
2010-11: Turco/Ellis - Leighton

Looks really good to me... I just made one small adjustment

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
2010-11: Turco/Ellis - Leighton

Looks really good to me... I just made one small adjustment
Boucher is signed for next year and Leighton is not.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
flountown

Can people please realize that the only way Leighton plays here next year is as a starter, and no one here, as far as I can tell, wants that. The guy played well enough to earn himself a 1 million dollar contract somewhere to be the 1A/B guy with a prospect, or older starter.

Boucher is signed, and has proven himself many times over to be a more than serviceable back-up, GET OVER IT PEOPLE...

Old
05-10-2010, 12:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Can people please realize that the only way Leighton plays here next year is as a starter, and no one here, as far as I can tell, wants that. The guy played well enough to earn himself a 1 million dollar contract somewhere to be the 1A/B guy with a prospect, or older starter.

Boucher is signed, and has proven himself many times over to be a more than serviceable back-up, GET OVER IT PEOPLE...
Being honest, even though I think Boucher is here next year instead of Leighton, more based off of contract, Boucher hasnt really proven much since on the Flyers this season. At one point, a rookie Swedish goaltender started over him for a game. Great, he lead the league against the Debs, but his 3.50 GAA and Mid .800s Sv% isnt really sparking this round.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being honest, even though I think Boucher is here next year instead of Leighton, more based off of contract, Boucher hasnt really proven much since on the Flyers this season. At one point, a rookie Swedish goaltender started over him for a game. Great, he lead the league against the Debs, but his 3.50 GAA and Mid .800s Sv% isnt really sparking this round.
I agree, although for me I don't see a huge difference between Leighton and Boucher. Leighton's less than half a season of success for me doesn't prove he is the better goalie and I doubt he will repeat the same success next year.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I agree, although for me I don't see a huge difference between Leighton and Boucher. Leighton's less than half a season of success for me doesn't prove he is the better goalie and I doubt he will repeat the same success next year.
They suck in different ways. In my opinion its easier to win with a goalie who sucks the way Leighton sucks than it is to win with a goalie who sucks the way Boucher sucks.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Sort of irrelevant to a "backup" discussion. He's a "backup" and not meant for a starting role... if he has to do that for you, then you have a problem.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Garbage Goal

Like the other guy said, Boucher has proven himself time and time again to be a serviceable backup. He gets way too much flak.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:09 AM
flountown

As far as back-ups go, it is the least of my worries. I think it will and should be Boucher. To take the results of this year for either of the options we are discussing as a back-up, Leighton and Boucher, would be absurd. There was a reason we signed Bouch at the beginning of the season, and it was based on his ability to play 20 or so games, exactly like he did the year before, and did so successfully. We picked up Leighton on waivers simply because we had no other options, and as much as I appreciate what he did, do we really expect him to do that again, as a back-up and not getting regular starts. When looking at both of their stats, AS BACK-UPS, Boucher is the better back-up goalie.

So like I said before, unless you want Leighton to be our starter next year, please get used to the idea that he won't be here.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Disagree about this round. I don't care about stats, he's not the reason we're losing.

Boucher has proven he's capable of winning playoff series and games and he's played well vs. Boston. The only really bad goals were Satan's 5-hole goal and the Ryder bounce. What more does he have to prove? A couple bounces here and there (Carcillo pots his OT breakaway, etc.) and we're up 3-1 or tied 2-2. We needed the split in Boston and we didn't get it - for no fault of Boosh's. He played great in game 4, esp. in OT.

Boucher has proven he's the ideal NHL backup goalie - someone good enough to start and win a playoff series. Not that many teams have that.

To me, they either decide to run with Leighton/Boucher next year, or sign one of the UFAs.

The wildcards are salary cap room and deals to create some.

IF you can trade Briere and/or Hartnell, you free up room to spend more in net so you might get an upgrade on Leighton as starter. If you can trade one of them in a package for an up and comer (e.g. Harding, Price) that's even better.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
They suck in different ways. In my opinion its easier to win with a goalie who sucks the way Leighton sucks than it is to win with a goalie who sucks the way Boucher sucks.
This is correct.

Leighton sucks predictably. He sucks the same way every single time he sucks. A good defense can recognize that and play to offset it.

Boucher is unpredictable.

Old
05-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Disagree about this round. I don't care about stats, he's not the reason we're losing.

Boucher has proven he's capable of winning playoff series and games and he's played well vs. Boston. The only really bad goals were Satan's 5-hole goal and the Ryder bounce. What more does he have to prove? A couple bounces here and there (Carcillo pots his OT breakaway, etc.) and we're up 3-1 or tied 2-2. We needed the split in Boston and we didn't get it - for no fault of Boosh's. He played great in game 4, esp. in OT.

Boucher has proven he's the ideal NHL backup goalie - someone good enough to start and win a playoff series. Not that many teams have that.

To me, they either decide to run with Leighton/Boucher next year, or sign one of the UFAs.

C'mon man, he is an NHL goalie. Satan's five hole goal was bad, the Ryder bounce should have never happened. Those weren't bad goals, those were abysmal. Those goals are where team morale goes to die. There have been other bad goals IMO (the Lucic turn-around slapper was very gettable, a couple of Recchi's goals have been very gettable). He's a god damn professional, he needs to be making at least some very tough saves. However it seems like any situation where the level of difficulty exceeds that which is routine, it is a goal against.

Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Detroit all have better back-ups than we do. And that's just off the top of my head from who I watched this week. Boucher is a bad goalie, as far as professional goalies go.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:28 AM

Boucher isn't the ideal NHL back-up. His only respectable set of performances come when he's had a a string of starts. When he comes in cold, he sucks. Leighton performs the same way no matter how often he plays.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:34 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
C'mon man, he is an NHL goalie. Satan's five hole goal was bad, the Ryder bounce should have never happened. Those weren't bad goals, those were abysmal. Those goals are where team morale goes to die. There have been other bad goals IMO (the Lucic turn-around slapper was very gettable, a couple of Recchi's goals have been very gettable). He's a god damn professional, he needs to be making at least some very tough saves. However it seems like any situation where the level of difficulty exceeds that which is routine, it is a goal against.
You know how I have said that not once in the past decade or so have we been ousted because of goaltending?

This may be the first year. Sure we have injuries, but we are playing even with them despite those injuries. They are not a better team than us. Soft goals are killing us. Boucher has been pretty good at times during this series, but he has also been awful.

Old
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
PhillyCurt12

this is sorta out of the blue, but does brovsky speak any english?

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:40 AM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
this is sorta out of the blue, but does brovsky speak any english?
I asked this a while back, Euroflyers said he doubted it and we did all our discussions with him through Evgeny Zimin, our scout, in all probability.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:51 AM
PhillyCurt12

hopefully he doesn't feel alienated from his team mates while he's learning.

random thought just popped into my head... i go to college very close to hershey, and i think varly had an english tutor very close by.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
hopefully he doesn't feel alienated from his team mates while he's learning.

random thought just popped into my head... i go to college very close to hershey, and i think varly had an english tutor very close by.
thats when you hope prospects like Popov and Bodrov are also on the team.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
As far as back-ups go, it is the least of my worries. I think it will and should be Boucher. To take the results of this year for either of the options we are discussing as a back-up, Leighton and Boucher, would be absurd. There was a reason we signed Bouch at the beginning of the season, and it was based on his ability to play 20 or so games, exactly like he did the year before, and did so successfully. We picked up Leighton on waivers simply because we had no other options, and as much as I appreciate what he did, do we really expect him to do that again, as a back-up and not getting regular starts. When looking at both of their stats, AS BACK-UPS, Boucher is the better back-up goalie.

So like I said before, unless you want Leighton to be our starter next year, please get used to the idea that he won't be here.
I agree with this post, but my only concern is what if we need a backup who can to start around 30-40 games? Is Boucher a wise option in that case? I mean say they sign a guy like Dan Ellis. His career high in starts is 37 games which happened two years ago. I'm not sure we could rely on someone like him to start 60+.

Not that I think Leighton is the answer (I don't), but I am not sure Boucher should be the backup no matter what. Although since he is signed the odds are he will be back and it's unlikely Holmgren will look beyond Boucher/Leighton as options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is correct.

Leighton sucks predictably. He sucks the same way every single time he sucks. A good defense can recognize that and play to offset it.

Boucher is unpredictable.
Are we basing this off his 20 or so games here? What if he plays like he did in the past? Is he still predictable?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
flountown

Quote:
I agree with this post, but my only concern is what if we need a backup who can to start around 30-40 games? Is Boucher a wise option in that case? I mean say they sign a guy like Dan Ellis. His career high in starts is 37 games which happened two years ago. I'm not sure we could rely on someone like him to start 60+.
That is why I am in full support of a Marty Turco signing in the neighborhood of 3 years or so. I really don't think the goalie free agent market is going to be as expensive as people think. The market is flooded with capable starting goaltenders which I think will bring down contract demands. I could definitely see Turco settling for a 3 year, 3.5-4.5 million dollar contract, which is more than reasonable if we can move 1 contract player (IMO, Carle, who is at his highest value...) and with Randy Jones contract coming off the books, we should be able to handle those demands. I also think that of potential places, Turco would definitely be willing to come to Philly, he is a guaranteed starter, unless Bobrovsky suddenly turns out to be the next Patrick Roy, for an extremely competitive team.

Old
05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sort of irrelevant to a "backup" discussion. He's a "backup" and not meant for a starting role... if he has to do that for you, then you have a problem.
But look what happened this season. We got from all the Boosh fans that he is a perfectly fine backup who can play 20 non-consecutive games. When our starter goes down (which time and time again has happened in the past) you need your backup to do an alright job in the net. He though pretty much shat the bed. I know I know, he is a backup, but what if that happens next season? Say we get the almighty Price and he gets hurt? Or Turco and he gets hurt? Leighton was thrown in there after around 10 games off and pulled off just 1 goal against him. Boucher was thrown in there and let in a goal on the first shot. Boucher in the past has been fully adequate, but when he has gotten time like a normal backup here (contrary to belief, he was thrown in like a regular backup. I think one game he let in 5 goals), he hasnt done well.

Like I said though, based off of just contract, Boucher is back. I just hope our starter doesnt get hurt or we are back to square 1 again.

The swedish goaltender part came from he was doing so bad at one point in the season, that an unknown quality was started over him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
jb**

Quote:
That is why I am in full support of a Marty Turco signing in the neighborhood of 3 years or so. I really don't think the goalie free agent market is going to be as expensive as people think. The market is flooded with capable starting goaltenders which I think will bring down contract demands. I could definitely see Turco settling for a 3 year, 3.5-4.5 million dollar contract, which is more than reasonable if we can move 1 contract player (IMO, Carle, who is at his highest value...) and with Randy Jones contract coming off the books, we should be able to handle those demands. I also think that of potential places, Turco would definitely be willing to come to Philly, he is a guaranteed starter, unless Bobrovsky suddenly turns out to be the next Patrick Roy, for an extremely competitive team.
I cant see turco even getting that much unless some dumb GM out there overpays, youknow someone who is known to do that when it is not needed. 3mm per shoudl do it, maybe 3.5. The teasm needing a goalie ar ento that great, soem of the teams not so great. Turco has somwhat limited option if he wants to play for a contender.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote