HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Captain?

Old
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
About the only thing Arnott and Sullivan have in common is the uniform they wear. During the playoffs, Sullivan was in the trenches almost every shift it seemed, battling for pucks, taking abuse, trying to make things happen. Even if he isn't playing all that well, Sully is always trying to generate something. He's the leader of this team, and has been for several years now.
i'm speaking from a philosophical standpoint, not a comparison of their abilities, effort, or work ethic. I just think the leadership focus needs to move out of that group and on to the hungrier youth.

Might also be added incentive for Weber, when contract time shows up next summer.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think it means a lot if and when the captain isn't giving it his all on the ice. It sends a bad message to the other guys, especially the young ones, that if he's not gonna bust his tail, why should we.

Lots of guys have different styles. Lidstrom and Niedermayer do it the quiet way, the lead by example on the ice and in their play. A guy like Doan steps up his physical play during the playoffs. Dustin Brown wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

I think two great examples are Messier and Yzerman. Granted, hall of famers but when Messier said they'd win, he elevated his game one more notch. Yzerman was playing with a bum knee one year, do you think anyone in that locker room was gonna give less than 100% when he was out there playing handicapped?

While I see your point and get it I think it means more than you stated. That's just me though.
+1

....haha, apparently "+1" is too short of a message by itself.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
+1

....haha, apparently "+1" is too short of a message by itself.
+1 is considered spam on HF boards.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I'd look really long and hard at giving it to Weber and not because he's younger or hungrier. It's the symbolic statement of, "this is his team now." He is simply the most important player the Predators have and, as long as he's shown some leadership ability already (and he has), then the C belongs on his sweater.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Tennman

Hey guys, new to the board (been lurking for awhile) and now that I have calmed down from my temper tantrum after the playoff loss I thought I would add my 2 cents.

Arnott is the softest big man in the NHL. He doesn't deserve to wear the C. Weather it would make any difference in the standings is debatable but it is embarrassing to have a captain with no heart.

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
Hey guys, new to the board (been lurking for awhile) and now that I have calmed down from my temper tantrum after the playoff loss I thought I would add my 2 cents.

Arnott is the softest big man in the NHL. He doesn't deserve to wear the C. Weather it would make any difference in the standings is debatable but it is embarrassing to have a captain with no heart.
I'm a Preda-Oilers fan. Two words: Ethan Moreau. Similar to Arnott in that he used to be a passionate leader. Now he's a useless plugger.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post

I suspect the players would disagree with you.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Guess it depends on which ones you ask.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Tennman

Quote:
They very well may. I'm not in the locker room, I only know what I see from the stands. To me he looks lazy. Leaders lead in different ways, but they should always lead with their actions. I don't see the desire to win in him.

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:45 AM
jlsg

You have to be careful about separating Arnotts playing style with his ability to lead a team. He doesn't use his size because he has skating and puck handling skills. You can argue on whether that's a flaw in his game, but he's had an above average career in the NHL. None of us can speak to the leadership qualities in the locker room, I've heard various things, but you have a room full of strong personalities so you have to keep that in perspective. He was the best choice for the C when he was given it, I don't know that taking it away at this point solves anything.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
You have to be careful about separating Arnotts playing style with his ability to lead a team. He doesn't use his size because he has skating and puck handling skills. You can argue on whether that's a flaw in his game, but he's had an above average career in the NHL. None of us can speak to the leadership qualities in the locker room, I've heard various things, but you have a room full of strong personalities so you have to keep that in perspective. He was the best choice for the C when he was given it, I don't know that taking it away at this point solves anything.
Marleau was stripped, given to Blake, Thornton kept an A, other A is on Boyle. San Jose going to the Western Conference Finals with Marleau and Thornton finally showing up in the playoffs. Thornton played like a man possessed against Detroit. He can skate and has some pretty decent puck handling skills last time I checked and he was throwing his body around. Not saying it's a be all fix but sometimes having the C on someone else alleviates the leadership issue and he can just play and let someone else worry about leading the team. May or may not work but it's not like it matters all that much with him gone after next year anyway.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Bad Karma

Marleau was Captain in 2004 when they last made it this far. A majority of San Jose's problem make up of the team. The teams since the lockout ended won playing a finesse game, before was more on grit and hard work. Marleau's game hasn't changed much from then til now.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
Marleau was Captain in 2004 when they last made it this far. A majority of San Jose's problem make up of the team. The teams since the lockout ended won playing a finesse game, before was more on grit and hard work. Marleau's game hasn't changed much from then til now.
so scott nichol and jed ortmeyer are responsible for this?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
so scott nichol and jed ortmeyer are responsible for this?
Works for me!

Old
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
So watching the playoffs you don't see grit and hard work anymore? So if the makeup of the team has changed this year, why did they need to strip Marleau of the captaincy? Also, watch Thornton play, he's actually using his body and hitting people. There is a correlation here to both our points. The makeup of the team has been changed but the core group of guys is still relatively the same.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Bad Karma

Between 2006 and 2009 when it come's to what the Sharks did... Nope.

If you look at Marleau and Thornton's numbers this year and compare them to the last few years there isn't much of a change except from last year.

They've kept a core at forward, but on defense.... not so much.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Between 2006 and 2009 when it come's to what the Sharks did... Nope.

If you look at Marleau and Thornton's numbers this year and compare them to the last few years there isn't much of a change except from last year.

They've kept a core at forward, but on defense.... not so much.
Numbers may not have changed much but style of play has, especially for Jumbo Joe.

If only the d has changed, why strip Marleau?

Old
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Bad Karma

I really don't know... I thought maybe since they did, he'd pick up his game even in the playoffs but it hasn't. San Jose has always had the high end talent but never has put it all together in the playoffs. They haven't even looked that good this year. They could have been easily on the golf course by now.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
I really don't know... I thought maybe since they did, he'd pick up his game even in the playoffs but it hasn't. San Jose has always had the high end talent but never has put it all together in the playoffs. They haven't even looked that good this year. They could have been easily on the golf course by now.
So are you saying Detroit was playing poorly in the second round matchup? Marleau and Thornton are getting big goals finally. I'm not sold on their blue line for a finals run but they certainly look like a different team this year than in years past. Big guns playing with some fire finally.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Guess it depends on which ones you ask.....

care to elucidate?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
I'm a Preda-Oilers fan. Two words: Ethan Moreau. Similar to Arnott in that he used to be a passionate leader. Now he's a useless plugger.
Who also takes really stupid penalties.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So are you saying Detroit was playing poorly in the second round matchup? Marleau and Thornton are getting big goals finally. I'm not sold on their blue line for a finals run but they certainly look like a different team this year than in years past. Big guns playing with some fire finally.
Detroit played the same way they played all year for the most part, lead but lose in the end. They never had consistency when they weren't playing bottom feeders like at the end of the year. They scored 7 goals in one game but only one the next.

Old
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Detroit played the same way they played all year for the most part, lead but lose in the end. They never had consistency when they weren't playing bottom feeders like at the end of the year. They scored 7 goals in one game but only one the next.
So has anyone really played that well in the west? LOL

Old
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Bad Karma

Touche'

Old
05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
+1 is considered spam on HF boards.
Really?! Dang I didn't know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
I don't know if Arnott has ever had a rep for being a passionate leader. Seems like he's had the same reputation with every team he's played on...works hard when he feels like it, which is only sometimes. Don't think he ever had a letter on his jersey with another franchise either but I could be wrong about that.

Quote:
What makes you say that? I've always wondered what the other players really think about Arnott, and you know they're not going to share any negative thoughts with the public or a fan, so I haven't heard anything negative about him...but I also haven't heard any glowingly positive stuff about him either. It recently came to my attention that he wasn't voted to be captain by his teammates, like we did with Johnson and Timonen, but that Poile gave it to him...so it's not like the players really chose him to be captain.

I kinda feel like we should've done what Montreal did when Koivu left...chose to have no captain, rather than the wrong one. We didn't really have a clear leader after Timonen left, since Sully was hurt...at least not enough of one to let the players vote. Montreal has said that they'll name a new captain when someone separates themselves from the pack, and for now they've got a few alternates instead...seems to be working out well for them.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote