HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky

Old
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Boucher gives up those Cechmanek back breaking killer goals. He getting himself out of position far too often in this series and isnt good enough or quick enough to recover.
We all know hes a NHL backup but a minor league goalie could have stopped the Satan goal. The Lucic one was once again bad positioning. This has nothing to do with bad breaks, or whatever the hell you want to call it. Its come down to goaltending and Boucher hasnt been good enough.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
That is why I am in full support of a Marty Turco signing in the neighborhood of 3 years or so. I really don't think the goalie free agent market is going to be as expensive as people think. The market is flooded with capable starting goaltenders which I think will bring down contract demands. I could definitely see Turco settling for a 3 year, 3.5-4.5 million dollar contract, which is more than reasonable if we can move 1 contract player (IMO, Carle, who is at his highest value...) and with Randy Jones contract coming off the books, we should be able to handle those demands. I also think that of potential places, Turco would definitely be willing to come to Philly, he is a guaranteed starter, unless Bobrovsky suddenly turns out to be the next Patrick Roy, for an extremely competitive team.
I agree with you that the goalie market won't be as expensive, but I think such a deal for a 35+ Marty Turco is way too risky. No way I do that.

Edited to add: His birthday is not until August so I don't think he will count as a 35+ contract, but I still wouldn't sign him to 3 years at his age.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Boucher gives up those Cechmanek back breaking killer goals. He getting himself out of position far too often in this series and isnt good enough or quick enough to recover.
We all know hes a NHL backup but a minor league goalie could have stopped the Satan goal. The Lucic one was once again bad positioning. This has nothing to do with bad breaks, or whatever the hell you want to call it. Its come down to goaltending and Boucher hasnt been good enough.
Pretty much it. The goals he has given up are terrible. I would for once like to have a goalie the whole team feels confident in, who is good, who can bail a team out when needed. Then let the rest of the players play to their strenghts instead of having to compensate for the weak goaltending. Indirectly goaltending has killed this team for years, despite what the stats may say. When you have little confidence in your goalie your play suffers. But then again some people actaully believe goaltending is not a reason they have not won in the last 10 years. Then what is the reason? ?Injuries, bad breaks, lucky bounces, hockey gods dont like the flyers, and all the other excuses.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I agree with you that the goalie market won't be as expensive, but I think such a deal for a 35+ Marty Turco is way too risky. No way I do that.

Edited to add: His birthday is not until August so I don't think he will count as a 35+ contract, but I still wouldn't sign him to 3 years at his age.
He most certainly will count as a 35+ contract. Doesn't matter the age that you sign the contract at, it matters hold old said player is when the season starts and the contract starts. Pronger signed his extension at 34, but it doesn't kick in until he's 35 and it fully counts against the cap for the length of the contract.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He most certainly will count as a 35+ contract. Doesn't matter the age that you sign the contract at, it matters hold old said player is when the season starts and the contract starts. Pronger signed his extension at 34, but it doesn't kick in until he's 35 and it fully counts against the cap for the length of the contract.
I'm pretty sure it's as of June 30th of the year in which the contract starts. So Pronger signed at age 34, but what really matters is how old is he on June 30th (so like 2 months). At that time he will be 35. If Turco signs a deal now, all that matters is that on June 30th he is still 34 (assuming it's true his birthday is in August).

So no, the 35+ rule will not apply to Turco assuming he does not turn 35 until August.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I cant see turco even getting that much unless some dumb GM out there overpays, youknow someone who is known to do that when it is not needed. 3mm per shoudl do it, maybe 3.5. The teasm needing a goalie ar ento that great, soem of the teams not so great. Turco has somwhat limited option if he wants to play for a contender.
The Crapitals have money to play with as well though.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I would give him three years if he signed cheap. If he wants more than three million a year, no way. If he wants one or two million over three years, I'd do it. He is a solid goalie with great puck handling skills as well. Doesn't have a history of injuries and has always been an above average goalie. I would love to see Turco here as the starter next season or so, let one of the younger guys develop and bring them up and then maybe Turco becomes the backup. Does anyone know what kind of deal he is looking for money-wise?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I thought the contract starts when it is signed unless it is an extension.

In Pronger's case his extension doesn't kick in until July 1, 2010 and he turned 35 in October of 2009.

If we sign Marty Turco on July 1, 2010 his contract begins then and he doesn't turn 35 for another month. So they may avoid the 35+ status, but I am not sure.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would give him three years if he signed cheap. If he wants more than three million a year, no way. If he wants one or two million over three years, I'd do it. He is a solid goalie with great puck handling skills as well. Doesn't have a history of injuries and has always been an above average goalie. I would love to see Turco here as the starter next season or so, let one of the younger guys develop and bring them up and then maybe Turco becomes the backup. Does anyone know what kind of deal he is looking for money-wise?
Turco is in a goalie's decline years. Three years is too long. A three year deal at say $1M a year wouldn't be awful but why commit that long when it's not necessary?

I don't know what kind of money he is looking for. I was reading Bill Meltzer's blog yesterday and in the comments section he mentioned he heard Turco is looking for a two year deal, but he doesn't believe anyone will give him two years. He said he could see Turco sitting as a free agent for a while. No mention on money.

Also it seems that the Flyers view him as a fallback plan and not one of their first options.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
DUHockey9

Here's the quote from the CBA

Quote:
All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective)...

...shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary
So again, Turco will NOT be subject to the 35+ rule (again assuming the August birthday is correct. I didn't look that up).

Old
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
jb**

Quote:
The Crapitals have money to play with as well though.
Yeah, i think they stay with the russian guy and their other young guy. I dont htink they feel that was why they lost and will use the resources elsewhere. Depending on cost they may go the Turco route but unstead just find a steady vet while the russian is the starter imo. I would think Turco wants a starter role.

Last edited by jb**: 05-10-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: info
Old
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

As stated before, Id be all up for signing Turco, 2 years 3 mil per year. I wouldnt put to much into his last 2 season at Dallas, they havent been that good

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Yeah, i think they stay with the russian guy and their other young guy. I dont htink they feel that was why they lost and will use the resources elsewhere. Depending on cost they may go the Turco route but unstead just find a steady vet while the russian is the starter imo. I would think Turco wants a starter role. Isnt Turco only 33 so why would the 35 year old rule apply to him?
Turns 35 on August 13.

35+ rule still doesn't apply to him though. He makes it by a couple months.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Turco is in a goalie's decline years. Three years is too long. A three year deal at say $1M a year wouldn't be awful but why commit that long when it's not necessary?

I don't know what kind of money he is looking for. I was reading Bill Meltzer's blog yesterday and in the comments section he mentioned he heard Turco is looking for a two year deal, but he doesn't believe anyone will give him two years. He said he could see Turco sitting as a free agent for a while. No mention on money.

Also it seems that the Flyers view him as a fallback plan and not one of their first options.
Yeah I agree the guy is definitely in decline, but he is still a good goalie. I'd take him over any of the guys we had this year and most likely any of the guys we could get in the off season. If you sign him to a three year deal, he doesn't have to start all three years, and if it is not 35+ contract I believe he can be waived if needed. I would risk having him on board an extra year or two to get him as somewhat of a stop-gap while we wait for one of our younger guys to maybe turn into something. Hell Backlund looked pretty good in his limited action. Maybe we waive Boosh and let Leighton walk and Backlund backs up Turco for a year then becomes the starter.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yeah I agree the guy is definitely in decline, but he is still a good goalie. I'd take him over any of the guys we had this year and most likely any of the guys we could get in the off season. If you sign him to a three year deal, he doesn't have to start all three years, and if it is not 35+ contract I believe he can be waived if needed. I would risk having him on board an extra year or two to get him as somewhat of a stop-gap while we wait for one of our younger guys to maybe turn into something. Hell Backlund looked pretty good in his limited action. Maybe we waive Boosh and let Leighton walk and Backlund backs up Turco for a year then becomes the starter.
Nah just trade boucher to the rangers for Brashear and 4th rd pick.
while i doubt they waive boucher, they do need a veteran goalie for the ahl imo, assuming backlund doesnt return (doubt backlund wants to be a mentor anyway), to help the rushkie. Riople and the like i do nto see being int he ahl or probably not even signed.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Idont see Backlund back sadly. He did have a solid AHL showing and a good 1 nhl showing, but I dont think thats enough. What I see happening is some kind of vet getting resigned to backup Brovsky with Riopel in the ECHL. Then as times goes on Brovsky moves up as a backup on the Flyers and Riopel the starter on the AHL. I like Riopel and think he could be a decent backup. He has faced adversary his whole career, and like how he adjusts to everything.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Idont see Backlund back sadly. He did have a solid AHL showing and a good 1 nhl showing, but I dont think thats enough. What I see happening is some kind of vet getting resigned to backup Brovsky with Riopel in the ECHL. Then as times goes on Brovsky moves up as a backup on the Flyers and Riopel the starter on the AHL. I like Riopel and think he could be a decent backup. He has faced adversary his whole career, and like how he adjusts to everything.
That would be ok with me as well. Is there any timetable as to when Erikkson or even Morrison would be NHL ready? I haven't really been following them too much. And how about De Serres or Kovar? They seem at least somewhat promising as well. Or is Bobrovsky the future of Flyerdom?

Old
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nah just trade boucher to the rangers for Brashear and 4th rd pick.
while i doubt they waive boucher, they do need a veteran goalie for the ahl imo, assuming backlund doesnt return (doubt backlund wants to be a mentor anyway), to help the rushkie. Riople and the like i do nto see being int he ahl or probably not even signed.
I dont want Brashear anywhere near this club.
1 million dollars for being a worthless retard. no thanks.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
That would be ok with me as well. Is there any timetable as to when Erikkson or even Morrison would be NHL ready? I haven't really been following them too much. And how about De Serres or Kovar? They seem at least somewhat promising as well. Or is Bobrovsky the future of Flyerdom?
At the moment I'd go

Brovsky
Eriksson

Riopel

Morrison

The rest of the guys

I can see Eriksson staying over at the SEL for 1 more season, then coming over to the AHL. He wanted to come over this season, but the management wanted him to stay there for another season. Morrison is alittle iffy. In the beginning of the season, he was top 5 in GAA and Sv%, then got outbeat by another goaltender. If he can get traded in the WHL and start over, I think he could get back on track. Deserres I see probablly starting on some ECHL team. Kovar is meh, and I dont think we will resign him when the contract is up. Phillips being hurt kinda hurt him in the future. He seemed to be a decent goalie, but then got hurt, missed a while season, and now is the backup.

The closest guys to becoming anything are probablly just Brovsky, Sunshine, and Riopel

Old
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Can't wait to see Sergei Bobby over here.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well I would take a healthy Emery over Turco, but I'd definitely take Turco over the other two goalies we had. While we may be able to waive him if he isn't worth his contract it makes no business sense to sign him up to a 3 year deal when it's not necessary. If they can sign him to a one year deal that makes the most sense because it gives them flexibility and if he plays well they always have the option to re-sign him. It's not as if there will ever be a huge market for him and they must sign him to a three year deal or risk losing him. There aren't many teams that will view him as their #1 goalie. Only the desperate such as the Flyers would and even they don't view him as their #1 option.

Quote:
With Eriksson it will depend on how well he does next year and if the Flyers think he will need time in the AHL. IN the best case scenario he dominates the SEL next year and will be ready the following season, but it seems more likely he could be 2-3 years away. Morrison is only in juniors and has lost his starting role so I don't think you can plan anything around him, but the best case would be 2-3 year away. I don't think DeSerres is NHL caliber and it appears the Flyers have given up on Kovar.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
Well I would take a healthy Emery over Turco, but I'd definitely take Turco over the other two goalies we had. While we may be able to waive him if he isn't worth his contract it makes no business sense to sign him up to a 3 year deal when it's not necessary. If they can sign him to a one year deal that makes the most sense because it gives them flexibility and if he plays well they always have the option to re-sign him. It's not as if there will ever be a huge market for him and they must sign him to a three year deal or risk losing him. There aren't many teams that will view him as their #1 goalie. Only the desperate such as the Flyers would and even they don't view him as their #1 option.

With Eriksson it will depend on how well he does next year and if the Flyers think he will need time in the AHL. IN the best case scenario he dominates the SEL next year and will be ready the following season, but it seems more likely he could be 2-3 years away. Morrison is only in juniors and has lost his starting role so I don't think you can plan anything around him, but the best case would be 2-3 year away. I don't think DeSerres is NHL caliber and it appears the Flyers have given up on Kovar.
You forgot Roman Malek and Ville hostika!

Old
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Haute Couturier

I just read on another Flyers board that Chuck Gormley was just on the Fan 590 in Toronto. He said they want to find a goalie they would stick with for the next 10 years. Said they might be willing to part with JVR for Price or Bernier.

Which is interesting because the other day in Carchidi's chat he said he thinks they would part with JVR in the right deal. He said Giroux is untouchable, but JVR is not. He also said Price and Bernier are their top two choices.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I just read on another Flyers board that Chuck Gormley was just on the Fan 590 in Toronto. He said they want to find a goalie they would stick with for the next 10 years. Said they might be willing to part with JVR for Price or Bernier.

Which is interesting because the other day in Carchidi's chat he said he thinks they would part with JVR in the right deal. He said Giroux is untouchable, but JVR is not. He also said Price and Bernier are their top two choices.
I still think it will be a waste of an asset. Oh well

Old
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

Is Bernier supposed to be that good?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote