HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Shanahan v. Tkachuk v. Roberts

Old
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
His career obviously didn't depend on it. He got back into shape and played several more seasons.
..and Blues missed the playoffs. No Im not blaming Tkatchuk solely for this. But having their 1st line left wing and one of their most important players out of shape did not help their cause. Losing Pronger is obviously also a reason.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
mco543

Wasn't it Doug Weight that trashed the room in Nagano, not Tkachuk?

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
Wasn't it Doug Weight that trashed the room in Nagano, not Tkachuk?
Nobody knows for sure. I've heard Weight, I've heard Tkachuk, I've heard Roenick.

People really wanted to blame Tkachuk, because he had recently signed a huge contract in St. Louis that he didn't deserve, and he had just played terribly on the big ice surface in Nagano.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Kevin Stevens is also a member of the 50/200 club. (1991-92)
And had he not succumbed to drug abuse, I fully believe that he not only would have been considered the greatest power forward of his generation, he also would have been the best left wing of his time. Kevin Stevens had every physical tool you could dream of putting in a hockey player, but even more so, he had the ability to dominate the playoffs in a way that no left wing from that time span came close to doing. He was as important to Mario Lemieux as Mario Lemieux was to him, and unlike most players at his position, he had the ability to carry a line, as he so often did when Lemieux was hurt, whether it be in the regular season and playoffs.

Stevens gets overlooked easily because his substance abuse problems shot him down at the ripe old age of 30. It's so tragic, but how many times have we seen it happen in professional sports? During that 3 year span between 1990-91 and 1992-93, there was no better left wing in hockey. He dominated games in a way that was, and generally still is, very unusual for the left wing position, and his ability to create offense for himself also is not typical of a left winger (except for the generational types like Hull and Ovechkin). There was an article in the Hockey News in 1991 or 1992 that had the GM's list all the players they regarded as superstars in the league. I'll try to find it,, but from memory (I saw it a few months ago), the list went something like Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Bourque, Sakic, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, and Stevens. Not Scott Stevens, Kevin Stevens. If only he had been able to keep that stupid stuff away from his body. He had every tool, and on top of that, he was a much, much better playoff performer than any other of his contemporaries at left wing, including Shanahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Nobody knows for sure. I've heard Weight, I've heard Tkachuk, I've heard Roenick.

People really wanted to blame Tkachuk, because he had recently signed a huge contract in St. Louis that he didn't deserve, and he had just played terribly on the big ice surface in Nagano.
It's pointless speculating, but Roenick's comments, immediately after the incident, about how the chairs in the room were too small to sit on are eyebrow-raising, if you ask me. Was Tkachuk involved? Who knows? He was Roenick's team-mate in Phoenix and they were very good friends. I just don't see someone like Doug Weight being involved, honestly, because he is just way too nice of a guy. Then again, who knows?

I do know that Chris Chelios was at dinner when it happened, and Brett Hull was at a bar, but Chelios still signed a personal check, yes a personal check, for $3K to pay for the damages. The damages were about $1K. He wasn't asked to, but he did anyways. It's pretty pathetic when the captain of the team, who had nothing to do with it, has to spend personal money because no one on the team would actually own up to it. To this day, Ron Wilson says he doesn't know who did it, but that fact is debatable.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 05-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
And had he not succumbed to drug abuse, I fully believe that he not only would have been considered the greatest power forward of his generation, he also would have been the best left wing of his time. Kevin Stevens had every physical tool you could dream of putting in a hockey player, but even more so, he had the ability to dominate the playoffs in a way that no left wing from that time span came close to doing. He was as important to Mario Lemieux as Mario Lemieux was to him, and unlike most players at his position, he had the ability to carry a line, as he so often did when Lemieux was hurt, whether it be in the regular season and playoffs.

Stevens gets overlooked easily because his substance abuse problems shot him down at the ripe old age of 30. It's so tragic, but how many times have we seen it happen in professional sports? During that 3 year span between 1990-91 and 1992-93, there was no better left wing in hockey. He dominated games in a way that was, and generally still is, very unusual for the left wing position, and his ability to create offense for himself also is not typical of a left winger (except for the generational types like Hull and Ovechkin). There was an article in the Hockey News in 1991 or 1992 that had the GM's list all the players they regarded as superstars in the league. I'll try to find it,, but from memory (I saw it a few months ago), the list went something like Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Bourque, Sakic, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, and Stevens. Not Scott Stevens, Kevin Stevens. If only he had been able to keep that stupid stuff away from his body. He had every tool, and on top of that, he was a much, much better playoff performer than any other of his contemporaries at left wing, including Shanahan.

It's pointless speculating, but Roenick's comments, immediately after the incident, about how the chairs in the room were too small to sit on are eyebrow-raising, if you ask me. Was Tkachuk involved? Who knows? He was Roenick's team-mate in Phoenix and they were very good friends. I just don't see someone like Doug Weight being involved, honestly, because he is just way too nice of a guy. Then again, who knows?

I do know that Chris Chelios was at dinner when it happened, and Brett Hull was at a bar, but Chelios still signed a personal check, yes a personal check, for $3K to pay for the damages. The damages were about $1K. He wasn't asked to, but he did anyways. It's pretty pathetic when the captain of the team, who had nothing to do with it, has to spend personal money because no one on the team would actually own up to it. To this day, Ron Wilson says he doesn't know who did it, but that fact is debatable.
I still hold Robitaille higher than Stevens but yeah, I agree. Steven would've been a bigger rival for best left winger.

Chelios is just that big of a leader and teammate. Story like this really explains why people like Roenick and Tkatchuk never won anything with their NHL teams.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I still hold Robitaille higher than Stevens but yeah, I agree. Steven would've been a bigger rival for best left winger.

Chelios is just that big of a leader and teammate. Story like this really explains why people like Roenick and Tkatchuk never won anything with their NHL teams.
What won Roenick?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Big Phil

Shanahan. He's the best. Will be the only one out of the three that will end up in the HHOF. Tkachuk was of course a playoff nightmare but count me in as a guy who isn't all together overwhelmed by his regular seasons. Two 2nd team all-stars and that's it. I never thought of Tkachuk as a guy I wanted on my team if I wanted to win.

Roberts is third I guess, but only overall. In the playoffs I want him over Tkachuk. But the overall package is a small advantage for Tkachuk

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote