HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Season Tickets Discussion (23% increase)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Lone Ranger

vCash: 500
I've already picked which one of my kidneys I'm selling to pay for my seats.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
I've already picked which one of my kidneys I'm selling to pay for my seats.
I hope you sit by the glass. lol

Old
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Best argumant to buy season tickets is the difference between single game and season price. Center 300's were $60 for STH and $76.50 per game this year. When I first bought them 16 years ago there was only a $3 difference $23/$26.
more than doubled. wow

Old
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
more than doubled. wow
If it's anything like this year however, you will be able to find tickets to almost any game for face value or less from STH's on here or other forums. I couldn't GIVE my tickets away last year for most games and ate quite a few when I couldn't go. I'm done buying in for a few seasons until this team turns it around, or the economy perhaps. I can't put a finger on the low resale value considering early in the season the team was red hot, and late in the year they were surging attempting to get into the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
If it's anything like this year however, you will be able to find tickets to almost any game for face value or less from STH's on here or other forums. I couldn't GIVE my tickets away last year for most games and ate quite a few when I couldn't go. I'm done buying in for a few seasons until this team turns it around, or the economy perhaps. I can't put a finger on the low resale value considering early in the season the team was red hot, and late in the year they were surging attempting to get into the playoffs.
Agreed, I have never seen demand this low. Even from 98-2004 I never had a problem selling tickets. In my first 6 years as a season ticket holder, I ate 3 tickets total. One, I was sick and had the tickets, couldn't get them to my friend to let him go with someone else. Another my friend was sick but didnt tell me until about 4pm that day and couldn't find someone. I think he gave me the money anyway.

It is pretty simple, increased costs+poor economy+boring team (even when they are playing well)+lousy atmosphere at MSG=low demand. Even when they were lousy and missed the play-offs for 7 years, you could still have fun at a game.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Tikkanese

STH Price changes

Quote:
more than doubled. wow
Only about 5.5% annual increase, but still almost double the inflation rate.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
I'm gonna say it's the economy.

I went to atlantic city last week.. and the place was a ghost town. Not to mention that my friend got a free hotel room when he barely even goes at the borgata. A few years ago it was hard to get a hotel room at the borgata even if you were willing to pay for it.

Old
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I'm gonna say it's the economy.

I went to atlantic city last week.. and the place was a ghost town. Not to mention that my friend got a free hotel room when he barely even goes at the borgata. A few years ago it was hard to get a hotel room at the borgata even if you were willing to pay for it.
Absolutely. But when you keep raising ticket prices EVERY year at about a 10% clip there comes a point where people just aren't interested in shelling out the dough.

Here's what I posted in a different thread:

I agree. But with ticket prices and related expenses going up it becomes more difficult to continue going to the games on a regular basis. Especially with advancing technology. With HDTV and a large screen display (my projector cost less than $1,000 and throws a beautiful 112" image) you can have an excellent game experience in the comfort of your own home these days. Sure, you don't get the energy of the Garden. And you can't see the entire ice or always fully appreciate the speed and intensity of the game. But, for the savings it's a relative bargain. I mean for the price of 1 300 level ticket, two beers and 1 chicken fingers/frys...you're just about in for a C-Note. For that price you can really hook up the game-time spread at home and still have quite a few bucks left over. Plus, we know who scored or who deflected the puck on our big screen way before Sam and Joe do.

And as technology advances the broadcast presentation will certainly improve. HDNet was ahead of its time, but they really knew how to do hockey. They had a feature called "sights and sounds" where the announcers would take a break for a few minutes and you could just watch and listen to the sounds from the ice level mics. They also pioneered new viewing angles, so you could see the entire ice at times. Since they only broadcast in HD, they took advantage of the wider 16:9 aspect ratio so you could see more of the ice at home. As a result, during a power play they didn't have to keep moving the camera back and forth every time the puck went down low and then back up to D. It was a completely new (and improved) way to watch hockey at home. Some day everything will be shot/framed in HD and we'll all be better off for it.

I still love going to the Garden. There's really nothing better. But at the end of the day it all comes down to the almighty dollar.

Old
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Absolutely. But when you keep raising ticket prices EVERY year at about a 10% clip there comes a point where people just aren't interested in shelling out the dough.
When you're increasing ticket prices like that ESPECIALLY in this economy.

Anytime you hike rates > the rate of inflation there's some point where people won't stomach it anymore.

They've hit that point.

Old
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Giacomin

All I know is that I am re-upping my season tickets again. Nothing beats the experience of taking the LIRR to MSG and having a few cold ones before the game and then watching the game.

Old
05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

I still love going to the Garden. There's really nothing better. dollar.
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but why?

The arena is completely outdated, the product on the ice is far from great, and the team hasn't won anything significant in 16 years...

I've gone to maybe 35 games since the lockout and the history & tradition at the Garden goes right out the door when I'm there sitting in an old and outdated arena and witnessing a team struggle to find consistency on home ice....

Imagine what the atmosphere might be like if we were a divisional leader and competing for the Eastern Conference championship?

Old
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but why?

The arena is completely outdated, the product on the ice is far from great, and the team hasn't won anything significant in 16 years...

I've gone to maybe 35 games since the lockout and the history & tradition at the Garden goes right out the door when I'm there sitting in an old and outdated arena and witnessing a team struggle to find consistency on home ice....

Imagine what the atmosphere might be like if we were a divisional leader and competing for the Eastern Conference championship?
I guess I should have qualified that statement with "when they are playing well, or when it's the post season." So yeah, not that often. I was going to say to chris6 that it's unfortunate the experience of going to the Garden ends more times than not in a loss...something that gets old pretty quick when paying top dollar for the privilege.

Old
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
When you're increasing ticket prices like that ESPECIALLY in this economy.

Anytime you hike rates > the rate of inflation there's some point where people won't stomach it anymore.

They've hit that point.
Which is why they can't raise prices anymore or they'll see even a more significant drop in STH's. But you know what, they will anyway. Dolan just doesn't get it. People complain about how expensive it is to go to a Baseball game, they should look at Ranger ticket prices. At least you could get cheap seats at a Met or Yankee game. No such thing exists at the Garden.

Old
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Still trying to figure out how they decided to charge $8.25 for a Premio Sausage.... It's a god damn sausage on a bun!

Two Premio Sausages + One 20 oz Becks = $27 hole in my pocket...

Something is wrong when 2 sausages and a beer cost 73% of the price of admission to the event!

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old
05-10-2010, 07:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Still trying to figure out how they decided to charge $8.25 for a Premio Sausage.... It's a god damn sausage on a bun!

Two Premio Sausages + One 20 oz Becks = $27 hole in my pocket...

Something is wrong with 2 sausages and a beer cost 73% of the price of admission to the event!
Ridiculous indeed. Yet you buy 2 of them! lol Guess that's how they decided how much to charge.

Old
05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Crease

I really wonder how the insane ticket and concession prices today will affect the size of fan bases 15-20 years from now. My dad recalled fondly growing up going to Mets and Rangers games on a regular basis and that had a direct impact on me being a fan of both teams. If prices keep climbing the way they do, I can't ever imagine being able to afford taking my (future) kids to games on a regular basis. Certainly tough to maintain a strong fan base that way.

Old
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
The arena is completely outdated,

I've gone to maybe 35 games since the lockout and the history & tradition at the Garden goes right out the door when I'm there sitting in an old and outdated arena
How does this affect watching the game?

Old
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
How does this affect watching the game?
bad sight-lines = poor game experience

Old
05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Which is why they can't raise prices anymore or they'll see even a more significant drop in STH's. But you know what, they will anyway. Dolan just doesn't get it. People complain about how expensive it is to go to a Baseball game, they should look at Ranger ticket prices. At least you could get cheap seats at a Met or Yankee game. No such thing exists at the Garden.
To be fair, sitting in the grandstands/bleachers at a ball game sucks.

Even the 400s at MSG offer a great view

Old
05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
To be fair, sitting in the grandstands/bleachers at a ball game sucks.

Even the 400s at MSG offer a great view
My fathers 15 game plan for the Mets is in the promenade directly behind the plate. I would actually say it's comparable to our seats at MSG in 405. Since the Met prices vary based on game, I would say it's an average somewhere around $20-$25 a game which is a great deal. You get to see the entire field and prices are still low. I do get your point though but charging $37 as the cheapest ticket with it being well over $50 if you buy through ticketmaster is ridiculous.

Old
05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I really wonder how the insane ticket and concession prices today will affect the size of fan bases 15-20 years from now. My dad recalled fondly growing up going to Mets and Rangers games on a regular basis and that had a direct impact on me being a fan of both teams. If prices keep climbing the way they do, I can't ever imagine being able to afford taking my (future) kids to games on a regular basis. Certainly tough to maintain a strong fan base that way.
It's gotten ridiculous. I grew up in extreme poverty, a Ranger game was such a treat for us, but the fact was that it was still a possibility when we had a little extra money saved up. The prices these days, christ, we're more on our feet now, and we have an even harder time affording tickets. That goes to show you how out of control it's gotten.

Old
05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
For those of you who don't know:

Full or first month payment for 2010-2011 Season Tickets is due on Monday, June 14th. Invoices are currently being sent out-- Prices are the same as 2009-2010 in all seating catagories.

05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
broadwayblue

New York Rangers Season Tickets are Available Now

Not surprised. But this is the first time I've seen where you can actually become a season subscriber online. The cheapest available seats are in the 100/200 level and cost $4,180/ticket. Looks to be mostly 200 Sections at the ends. I've found seats in Section 215, Row E and 232, Row C.

Season Tix (Click on the giant ad to purchase.)

I'm sure everyone's gonna be racing to the site to grab these! lol Seriously though, if you do want to become a season ticket holder, you'll very likely have to start in these sections before you can move up to 300/400 seating a year from now.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Not surprised. But this is the first time I've seen where you can actually become a season subscriber online. The cheapest available seats are in the 100/200 level and cost $4,180/ticket. Looks to be mostly 200 Sections at the ends. I've found seats in Section 215, Row E and 232, Row C.

Season Tix

I'm sure everyone's gonna be racing to the site to grab these! lol Seriously though, if you do want to become a season ticket holder, you'll very likely have to start in these sections before you can move up to 300/400 a year from now.
What's the "upgrade" to 300/400? The ability to sit with other long time season ticket holders? Cheaper prices?

Old
05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
What's the "upgrade" to 300/400? The ability to sit with other long time season ticket holders? Cheaper prices?
Well a number of things actually. First, price. Most people want 300/400 because they are much more affordable. Plus, newer subscribers are usually seated at the ends. Personally I don't want to be on the 7th Ave side at all, and I'd rather not be all the way on the 8th Ave end either, unless the seats are just behind the glass. And yes, most of these sections will have a lot of turnover, as people will typically moves towards center ice as their tenure increases and they put in for an annual seating location upgrade. Often after people upgrade a few times they get seats they really like in a good section with many other long time ticket holders. You'll also get fewer fans of opposing teams nearby you as well, which is nice.

Closed Thread