HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team 990 - Expect 2-3 more Canadians teams within 3 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
  #126
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Have empty arenas ruined the sport of Basketball or Baseball? No, both of those sports are doing fine. And regardless, you never have completely empty arenas. Stop acting as if they are 100% empty in those cities, but would be 100% full in Winnipeg. Hell, a slightly empty arena in Phoenix is still more people watching than a full arena in Winnipeg, because their arena is tiny.

If you continue to think that all that matters to a franchise is full arenas, then you are completely delusional and know absolutely nothing about what it takes to run a franchise. It takes much more than simply filling the arena. All of the cards are stacked against a city like Winnipeg for reasons I have already mentioned above. Your childish argument "but....but....the arena would be full EVERY night" is pure garbage, because you have no guarantees that the arena would be full every night anyways. Anything can happen, and Winnipeg already has a history of not selling out when times were rough. But I guess it was ok for Winnipeg then, but not ok for Phoenix now, even though they were facing a similar situation.....(fans knowing the team is in limbo and might be moving)
Why are you comparing the revenue streams of the MLB and NBA with that of the NHL. NBA and MLB have much bigger TV deals, way more substantial than NHL teams... and this includes NHL teams in U.S markets.

You fail to address this point - TV Deals for hockey are not substantial enough to keep franchises afloat.

In the NHL, a formula that works is SELLING TICKETS. Box suites, club seats, normal seats, and concessions from the game.

We're not talking about putting an NHL team in Laval, we're talking about putting an NHL team in 2 cities that are equal if not bigger than many existing u.s cities in the NHL.

I know where you are coming from - to you, Winnipeg is just not "cool".... which coming from Montreal, and having lived abroad, I can agree with.... You should however start thinking of NHL and Canada's dynamics (cultural, economical)in today's terms, not 15 years ago...

Like I said, you're stuck in 1995, and you're unwilling to differentiate the NHL with NBA.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
  #127
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Sorry, but the bread and butter of an NHL franchise should be hockey. Not Boxing, dog or car shows.
Stop reading and responding here. Go ask the Molson's if they could keep the Canadiens afloat by not renting out the Bell Center. You have basically no understanding of the buisiness side to running an NHL franchise and believe that all that matters is fan support.

If that was all that mattered half the league would be in Canada.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
  #128
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Stop reading and responding here. Go ask the Molson's if they could keep the Canadiens afloat by not renting out the Bell Center. You have basically no understanding of the buisiness side to running an NHL franchise and believe that all that matters is fan support.

If that was all that mattered half the league would be in Canada.
Why is the option of renting out the Bell Centre any different than a team in Winnipeg renting out the MTS Centre?

I think you should start reading a little more and posting less yourself.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
  #129
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Stop reading and responding here. Go ask the Molson's if they could keep the Canadiens afloat by not renting out the Bell Center. You have basically no understanding of the buisiness side to running an NHL franchise and believe that all that matters is fan support.

If that was all that mattered half the league would be in Canada.
Yes, of course, the bread and butter of an NHL franchise should be concerts, dog shows, boxing events and car shows....

Who cares if that's the only means of making a profit ... I mean, it's not like a hockey franchise should be judged on it's ability to make a HOCKEY profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
Why is the option of renting out the Bell Centre any different than a team in Winnipeg renting out the MTS Centre?

I think you should start reading a little more and posting less yourself.
It's not any different, the only difference really is that in New Jersey they play hockey to empty arenas, and in Winnipeg, they'll be playing in front of capacity crowds.

But profit from hockey operations should not be the bread and butter for a hockey franchise according to Kezia.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
  #130
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
It's not any different, the only difference really is that in New Jersey they play hockey to empty arenas, and in Winnipeg, they'll be playing in front of capacity crowds.

But profit from hockey operations should not be the bread and butter for a hockey franchise according to Kezia.
This is where you are misguided. The NHL isn't about making gate profits for owners, its about much larger investments. Until you understand that, you'll continue to be on the wrong side of the arguement.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:06 PM
  #131
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is where you are misguided. The NHL isn't about making gate profits for owners, its about much larger investments. Until you understand that, you'll continue to be on the wrong side of the arguement.
Macavoy, gate revenue in the NHL is a priority for any franchise. Regardless of this fact,
I'm not doubting that there are larger investments that make owners money, outside of hockey.

EVents, concerts and other such uses for Arenas that are profitable can exist with or without a hockey team in place .. the bottom line is, if the hockey team does not sell tickets and get corporate support, and essentially does not produce a sustainable profit from it's operations, the owners would be better served in focusing on the activities and investments that are making money.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
  #132
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Macavoy, gate revenue in the NHL is a priority for any franchise. Regardless of this fact,
I'm not doubting that there are larger investments that make owners money, outside of hockey.

EVents, concerts and other such uses for Arenas that are profitable can exist with or without a hockey team in place .. the bottom line is, if the hockey team does not sell tickets and get corporate support, and essentially does not produce a sustainable profit from it's operations, the owners would be better served in focusing on the activities and investments that are making money.
I'm drunk and you made the gdt so I don't want to argue with you. I'll let you have this one.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.