HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

2010 HHOF Eligbles vs. Contemporary Inductees Outside Top 100 - Quick Glance

Old
05-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I'm not saying that I would vote for all of the following players, but my list would be:

Howe ... a crime he's waited this long.

Lindros ... I would have had no problem with him not being inducted, but with Neely's enshrinement, Lindros must go in

Propp/Desjardins ... Two of the most underrated players of their generations.

Recchi

I have Leclair below all 5 of the above .... and would include him alongside Brind'amour and Tocchet. I think arguments can be made for each of the 3, as to which was the better player, but they are very close.
I'd give Howe, Recchi, and Lindros my vote, and that's it. I've always admitted that Brian Propp was one of my favorite players of that generation, but that doesn't change the fact that while he was a very good player, he probably was not a great one.

Agreed about Eric Lindros, but even though Lindros was better than Neely, Cam had two things Lindros is going to miss when the selection committee is discussing him. Neely had a sparkling playoff career and a heart made of gold.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Recchi's a lock by this point in my opinion, but not just for what he did with the Flyers. I didn't really see Propp in his prime.

Desjardins vs. Leclair is tough. I watched a lot of Flyers/Devils battles over the years, and Desjardins was the only Flyers defenseman of that era who I ever saw making a difference when he was on the ice. And he made a huge difference. But on the other hand, Leclair was considered the best LW in the world for quite a few years (ahead of Kariya, Tkachuk, and Shanahan).
I believe that Propp is the best LW the Flyers have ever had, just the slightest nod over Bill Barber (very similar players). Both had far more dimensions to their game than LeClair. Killed penalties, very good defensively, good playmakers etc.

LeClair could score goals, and he was better at that than either of the two mentioned above, but Barber and Propp brought far more to the table.

As for Desjardins vs. LeClair it's not really all that close. Desjardins was never worse the the 2nd most valuable player during his tenure as a Flyer, and oftern was more valuable than even Lindros. He carried our defense corps for years, and never had anything close to another #1 or even a real #2 defenseman, until Kim Johnsson came along atthe very end.

The Flyers could win without LeClair, they never could without Desjardins.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I believe that Propp is the best LW the Flyers have ever had, just the slightest nod over Bill Barber (very similar players). Both had far more dimensions to their game than LeClair. Killed penalties, very good defensively, good playmakers etc.

LeClair could score goals, and he was better at that than either of the two mentioned above, but Barber and Propp brought far more to the table.

As for Desjardins vs. LeClair it's not really all that close. Desjardins was never worse the the 2nd most valuable player during his tenure as a Flyer, and oftern was more valuable than even Lindros. He carried our defense corps for years, and never had anything close to another #1 or even a real #2 defenseman, until Kim Johnsson came along atthe very end.

The Flyers could win without LeClair, they never could without Desjardins.
Propp and Barber > LeClair is to me a no brainer.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxellien View Post
Not to worry, detractors of my 3 choices for induction should take heart: Neither Don Mckenney, Fleming MacKell nor Doug Mohns are so much as shown or mentioned, a complete Stalinization ostracizing job. other 50s regulars...Jerry Toppazzini..Cal Gardner..Bob Armstrong....larry Reagan..Allan Stanley.... this Flash Hollett from the 1940s.......Nor is Leo Boivin WHO IS in the HOF!!... Simply surreal!!
Well why don't we make it simple then and just induct every Original Six player with over 400 games played? These were all fine players, but come on. If we applied your standards to the modern era we'd be inducting the likes Stu Barnes and Ray Ferraro.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Axxellien

McKenney MacKell, Mohns:

Nonsense!...Although You could do alot worse!

Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote