HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are the most important shooting muscles?

Old
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
What are the most important shooting muscles?

Simply answer the question, please. Your thoughts...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

forearms

the rest comes from weight transfer and not really one specific muscle

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IMO, Core, Quads, Glutes

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
forearms

the rest comes from weight transfer and not really one specific muscle
I want to hear how you think the forearms are more important than the glutes, hips and lower back. Have you ever taken a slap shot standing fully upright? Even a wrister- try it completely upright, then with a good, deep knee bend. I'll bet money I know which one will be faster.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I want to hear how you think the forearms are more important than the glutes, hips and lower back. Have you ever taken a slap shot standing fully upright? Even a wrister- try it completely upright, then with a good, deep knee bend. I'll bet money I know which one will be faster.
i guess i mis read the title but i thought it said "muscle" obviously legs and core are going to be the answer, but i thought we were talking about 1 specific muscle as in like "what muscle should i work on getting stronger that would help my shot"

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Why would you ask someone for their thoughts and then turn around and basically tell them they are wrong? If you already know the answer then why ask the question?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i guess i mis read the title but i thought it said "muscle" obviously legs and core are going to be the answer, but i thought we were talking about 1 specific muscle as in like "what muscle should i work on getting stronger that would help my shot"
Sorry if my question was misleading. By the way, has anyone ever worked on their lower/middle back and seen a huge improvement in their shot? Several years ago, I was doing bent over rows and crunches on an exercise ball to rehab an injury and after a few weeks of that, my shot was the best it ever had been. But forearms is a good one if yours are underdeveloped.

Old
05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

I'd have to agree with forearms/wrists. In good leagues, a lot of the time you don't have time for huge wrist shots or slapshots. Often, you have to quickly snap a shot off. In that case, forehand, or backhand, it's really all about the power you generate with your wrist snap. If you're just talking about shooting in practice, where you have all the time in the world, pretty much every muscle in your body will improve your shot. If you're looking to improve "goal scoring" shots, wrists/forearms would be my focus. Being a goal scorer has a lot to do with your release.

This question is pretty misleading, too. Good form and proper weight transfer are, IMO, more important than overall strength. I think every moment spent lifting weights in order to improve your shot, would be better spent on the ice actually shooting.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
I'd have to agree with forearms/wrists. In good leagues, a lot of the time you don't have time for huge wrist shots or slapshots. Often, you have to quickly snap a shot off. In that case, forehand, or backhand, it's really all about the power you generate with your wrist snap. If you're just talking about shooting in practice, where you have all the time in the world, pretty much every muscle in your body will improve your shot. If you're looking to improve "goal scoring" shots, wrists/forearms would be my focus. Being a goal scorer has a lot to do with your release.

This question is pretty misleading, too. Good form and proper weight transfer are, IMO, more important than overall strength. I think every moment spent lifting weights in order to improve your shot, would be better spent on the ice actually shooting.
I think you're right on man, great post.

Old
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
hoonking

Quote:

Thats true that on the rush you need a quick release and strong forearms will obviously help but good balance and weight transfer will allow you to quickly flex your stick for a very fast snap.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Thats true that on the rush you need a quick release and strong forearms will obviously help but good balance and weight transfer will allow you to quickly flex your stick for a very fast snap.
Yep. That's why I said you're better off on the ice shooting, than lifting weights.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:56 PM
wearethegreek

All of them. And I'm not kidding.

I would say you need the following in every shot:

Strength
Endurance
Rhythm
Balance
Control

in equal proportion. At the very least even if you can't use proper form when shooting you can dig in and use your muscular power to get some kind of shot off. It may not be pretty but mastery of all of the muscles, legs, forearms, hips, wrists, shoulders etc. should result in you at the very least being able to get something behind the puck to play it, or rip off a wrister like Alex Semin using only a toe drag and a flick of your wrist. Look at guys like Joe Sakic. He had an ugly form but grrreaat successs.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Yep. That's why I said you're better off on the ice shooting, than lifting weights.
I agree, but shooting is something you have to practice a lot to get much better at and most people won't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
All of them. And I'm not kidding.

I would say you need the following in every shot:

Strength
Endurance
Rhythm
Balance
Control

in equal proportion. At the very least even if you can't use proper form when shooting you can dig in and use your muscular power to get some kind of shot off. It may not be pretty but mastery of all of the muscles, legs, forearms, hips, wrists, shoulders etc. should result in you at the very least being able to get something behind the puck to play it, or rip off a wrister like Alex Semin using only a toe drag and a flick of your wrist. Look at guys like Joe Sakic. He had an ugly form but grrreaat successs.
Excellent points!

Old
05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
HowToHockey

I think a university study will help settle this. It is a powerpoint and only covering the slapshot

http://www.cnhs.umb.edu/documents/Slapshot.ppt

I found it very helpful

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:15 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I think a university study will help settle this. It is a powerpoint and only covering the slapshot

http://www.cnhs.umb.edu/documents/Slapshot.ppt

I found it very helpful
That was pretty good. Here's something nice I came across, http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/r.../01/neural.cfm It explains the value of the CNS in strength and how skinny guys like Semin and Malkin can light beam shots.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 05-11-2010 at 02:23 AM.