HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Old
05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Thanks for the comments. I had been using some roller blades until I broke them, so was used to the additional height. If I had choked up on the stick a bit more like Hockeyfan68 showed in his video, I probably would have straightened my top arm a bit more. It is something I'll definitely look at.

The other big thing I noticed is that I'm staring at the puck too much and not picking my target. When I looked at the camera, I hit the camera I think I was a bit nervous to completely miss the puck totally. Being able to slow down the video and really study the motion, and where I was striking the puck on my blade really helped me.

When I first built the pad and set up the net, I hated shooting slapshots because my hands were too close together and I was getting vibration like crazy in the shaft which hurt. But it was watching the videos in this thread and the howtohockey website which helped me analyze what I was doing wrong and helped me improve.

Last edited by Skraut: 05-08-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Wrist shot:60 MPH

Slap shot : not tested
A 60 mph wrister is pretty good for any non-pro. If you have good accuracy on that thing, you don't really need a slap shot.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 05-08-2010 at 02:23 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Thanks for the comments. I had been using some roller blades until I broke them, so was used to the additional height. If I had choked up on the stick a bit more like Hockeyfan68 showed in his video, I probably would have straightened my top arm a bit more. It is something I'll definitely look at.

The other big thing I noticed is that I'm staring at the puck too much and not picking my target. When I looked at the camera, I hit the camera I think I was a bit nervous to completely miss the puck totally. Being able to slow down the video and really study the motion, and where I was striking the puck on my blade really helped me.

When I first built the pad and set up the net, I hated shooting slapshots because my hands were too close together and I was getting vibration like crazy in the shaft which hurt. But it was watching the videos in this thread and the howtohockey website which helped me analyze what I was doing wrong and helped me improve.
Looking at a target is very important, you do not have to look at it the whole time either. I take a look just before winding up and then just before contact again all the way through the followthrough. It is THE most important thing about shooting with any shot if you have the time to look.

When you get good at it you can then fake where you are looking and use your peripheral vision to fake the goalie because they often look at your eyes to see what you are aiming at.

It is a great tool and has scored more for me than the actual velocity.

You can fake a shot and make a slappass as well while looking at the the corner of the net etc. Goalies are pretty damned good these days even in men's league non-pro levels.

It is the position that has improved the most in my opinion over the last 20 years for all goalies.

Anyhewdles this is the blade wear I was unhappy about shooting off of particle board, I will make a better shooting pad for the next videos which will show me from the front for mechanics purposes since the blister on my pointing finger on my lower hand had torn skin and stuff. I will film those when it heals up enough to do so.

Nothing that would stop me from playing or snything, I mean it is just a blister but not in a good spot for slapshooting.

This is what happened in not much time at all really. You'll notice on my 5.5 lie blade the wear is closer to the heel but when not choking up and on skates it is in the middle. It shows how important the lie is to shooting. Pictured is what would be considered a poor or incorrect lie. Good thing it does not do this when I use the full length of the stick while on ice in skates.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-08-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Skraut

Quote:

it's in HD if you click through to YouTube

I'd say be gentle I've only been playing hockey for 5 months, and have only been shooting slapshots for the past 2 weeks as part of this challenge. But I want to learn and get better, so let me know anything you see that I'm doing wrong.

I see quite a few things, but I'm always super picky on myself.
Ok, decided to nerd out and see if I could figure out the speed of the shot.

I'm using the 3rd shot since I know the distance.

The camera was 16 ft 2 inches, or 194 inches from where I hit the puck.

The camera shoots at 30 frames per second and it took 7 frames for the puck to go from the pad to hitting the camera. That is 0.23333 seconds.

194 inches in 0.23333 seconds = 47.2 mph

A few of the shots took 6 frames which would have put them at 55.1 mph, but most were right at the 7 frame mark.

I'm sure it's not as accurate as having a radar gun on it, but I'm sure I'm somewhere in that ballpark.

Old
05-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

The camera shoots at 30 frames per second and it took 7 frames for the puck to go from the pad to hitting the camera. That is 0.23333 seconds.

A few of the shots took 6 frames which would have put them at 55.1 mph, but most were right at the 7 frame mark.

I'm sure it's not as accurate as having a radar gun on it, but I'm sure I'm somewhere in that ballpark.
Brainiac! Math doesn't lie .... if the information is correct.

Interesting.

Old
05-10-2010, 02:22 AM
MJAYK

Quote:

Impressive, i've never thought of calculating the speed of the shot. Afterall, most of us have done more complicated calculations in school!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:05 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:

Nice, judging by the speed of your shot in the video, and the speed on my radar gun that looks about right. high 40's to low 50's for your shot.

......maybe if I hold the radar gun up to the screen..... haha just kidding

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

I am going to shoot some more video soon but just from the front to show mechanics. Like stated already I am sure I can pick out something I don't like from it and try to improve it.

Which is the purpose of this thread.

I will also make sure not to wear baggy clothing like I did in the first two videos I posted of my slapshot earlier in the thread to show more of the limb movement and balance etc.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:46 AM
boot399

gonna upload my video from like 2 weeks ago i already have improved alot more from there... wish i had a net it looks better than bouncing off a bord i also might use my new roller skates so i don't have to choke on my stick

boot399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot399 View Post
gonna upload my video from like 2 weeks ago i already have improved alot more from there... wish i had a net it looks better than bouncing off a bord i also might use my new roller skates so i don't have to choke on my stick
The choking up on the handle helps. As for bouncing pucks off a board, I've done it. I helped ruin the siding on a garage too. You know, stupid kid stuff years ago.

The owner was NOT pleased.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
boot399

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Nice, judging by the speed of your shot in the video, and the speed on my radar gun that looks about right. high 40's to low 50's for your shot.

......maybe if I hold the radar gun up to the screen..... haha just kidding
hey man congrats on getting your review of the Green Biscuit up on hockeyshot.com

Old
05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
boot399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
The choking up on the handle helps. As for bouncing pucks off a board, I've done it. I helped ruin the siding on a garage too. You know, stupid kid stuff years ago.

The owner was NOT pleased.
yeah i am only 13 so ounce i grow i can get a little more muscle get a hard shot i have surprisingly never broke a window though i have woke my parents up in the wee hours of the morning many times

Old
05-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
yeah i am only 13 so ounce i grow i can get a little more muscle get a hard shot i have surprisingly never broke a window though i have woke my parents up in the wee hours of the morning many times
Heartless bastad!

Old
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
skraut.

pretty good for only a couple of weeks. one thing I see is that top hand and arm are kinda close to your body. when you start your back swing try pushing that hand away from you. get that arm a little straighter. more of a pendulum (sp?) motion. its a little hard to see, from the camera angle, and how fast his hands move but in HF68's first video you can see how he gets seperation with his front hand from his waist. when you watch your shot your top hand is kinda stuck to your waist. that will help you get a little more leverage on the stick. keep working though you are doing a good job.also it will help you keep your stick on plane.
Thanks again, Really started focusing on extending that top arm, and the one thing I noticed is that the pucks seem to be getting better spin on them. They are wobbling a lot less on their flight. The other thing I was focusing on was moving my torso back to front a bit more, elongating the arc of my swing. I think I was coming in too sharply. Naturally when I had my wife tape me, I was back to non extended arms, and I had no power. Guess I got camera shy. Though I did have one I couldn't decide if it was 6 or 5 frames. So at 5.5 frames, that's roughly 60 mph.

Last edited by Skraut: 05-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old
05-13-2010, 11:31 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Thanks again, Really started focusing on extending that top arm, and the one thing I noticed is that the pucks seem to be getting better spin on them. They are wobbling a lot less on their flight. The other thing I was focusing on was moving my torso back to front a bit more, elongating the arc of my swing. I think I was coming in too sharply. Naturally when I had my wife tape me, I was back to non extended arms, and I had no power. Guess I got camera shy. Though I did have one I couldn't decide if it was 6 or 5 frames. So at 5.5 frames, that's roughly 60 mph.
It seems like you are having similar developments as I did when practicing. I was coming in too sharply, and did not have a smooth back swing and down swing, I came in to sharp as well.

I am just finishing an article wiht all the points that helped me, I still want to get video and pictures for it though, so maybe a few more days until it is up.

Also I just made another discovery that helped me break the 70MPH plateau.

Before I was hitting 65-68 fairly consistently, so much so that I thought the damn gun never went over 68MPH

I changed one thing and hit 69MPH, then though hmm...I'll try that again, laid into it and BAM 73 MPH, new top speed. Then is started to rain and hasn't stopped. I am hoping to shoot some more and test out the new change in form, see if I can consistently get over 70 MPH

Old
05-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
It seems like you are having similar developments as I did when practicing. I was coming in too sharply, and did not have a smooth back swing and down swing, I came in to sharp as well.

I am just finishing an article wiht all the points that helped me, I still want to get video and pictures for it though, so maybe a few more days until it is up.

Also I just made another discovery that helped me break the 70MPH plateau.

Before I was hitting 65-68 fairly consistently, so much so that I thought the damn gun never went over 68MPH

I changed one thing and hit 69MPH, then though hmm...I'll try that again, laid into it and BAM 73 MPH, new top speed. Then is started to rain and hasn't stopped. I am hoping to shoot some more and test out the new change in form, see if I can consistently get over 70 MPH

Hey that's pretty awesome. I do not remember what changes I made years and years ago but I too freaked when I started shooting noticably harder.

It brings a smile to your face as hockey should.

I picked out a couple of things in my video that i need work on and will make a video as soon as the raining stuff stops here too.

Old
05-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This thread delivers! Keep it up guys. I am a goalie so I have a total muffin shot when I play out, which is not often. Some of the stuff in these videos will probably help my shot out with in the span of a few hours of shooting.

Also, some of you guys have some pretty legit slappers. I see hockeyfan68 shooting center-high a lot, it just made me think about catching one of those jokers to the mask. That shot has ruined a goalie's day before, I can tell.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Glad I could help.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This thread delivers! Keep it up guys. I am a goalie so I have a total muffin shot when I play out, which is not often. Some of the stuff in these videos will probably help my shot out with in the span of a few hours of shooting.

Also, some of you guys have some pretty legit slappers. I see hockeyfan68 shooting center-high a lot, it just made me think about catching one of those jokers to the mask. That shot has ruined a goalie's day before, I can tell.
Yeah i have hit the butterfly goalie in the face before a few times which isn't what one should do haha. I broke a chip off one last summer and he had to have it repaired and repainted. He jokes about it whenever I see him.

But mostly when I score it is about 1 to 2 feet off the ice on the sides. Roofing is fun but not necessary and lots of time a waste of time since you goaslies pretty much all have good gloves these days so why make it easier for you lol.

I play defense by the way and usually it is a tool to get rebounds or score so they are pretty low in a game. The middle to upper areas look good on video I guess. *giggle*

Old
05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One of the hardest shots I've ever seen in league, a guy comes in 1-on-1, just RIPS a slapper from the blue line (yes...he took a slapper from the blueline on a 1-on-1), and literally in a blink of an eye, crossbar down for a goal. Never seen someone shoot that hard before or since. And I do mean literally, didn't even see the puck leave his stick until it hit the crossbar.

Something tells me he was a little too good for the C2 (lower level C rec league).

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:34 AM
HowToHockey

For some reason pucks always seem like they go faster if they hit something at the end of shot. If you can snipe the bottom half of the crossbar it just makes the shot look so hard and precise.

I bet if he just put it top corner it wouldn't have stood out so much. I think it is because you can see, and hear the beginning and end of the shot.

I thought it would be cool to get some old drum symbols and tie them up for target practice. I would have fun, my neighbours would be pissed

Old
05-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Yeah i have hit the butterfly goalie in the face before a few times which isn't what one should do haha. I broke a chip off one last summer and he had to have it repaired and repainted. He jokes about it whenever I see him.

But mostly when I score it is about 1 to 2 feet off the ice on the sides. Roofing is fun but not necessary and lots of time a waste of time since you goalies pretty much all have good gloves these days
so why make it easier for you lol.

I play defense by the way and usually it is a tool to get rebounds or score so they are pretty low in a game. The middle to upper areas look good on video I guess. *giggle*
If you can hit that spot from the high slot consistently, that's great area to shoot at for sure, on me at least. Its a slower motion to stretch your glove/blocker all the way out there over your ankle. I don't know if I could stop a shot like yours if it was placed there. I don't think I'd have enough time to get to it even if I saw it right off your stick (maybe if I was way out of the net and didn't have to reach as far). I'm a pretty average goalie at best though.

Where do you play/what level of players are you usually playing against?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
If you can hit that spot from the high slot consistently, that's great area to shoot at for sure, on me at least. Its a slower motion to stretch your glove/blocker all the way out there over your ankle. I don't know if I could stop a shot like yours if it was placed there. I don't think I'd have enough time to get to it even if I saw it right off your stick (maybe if I was way out of the net and didn't have to reach as far). I'm a pretty average goalie at best though.

Where do you play/what level of players are you usually playing against?
I will be 42 in July and am in the process of slowin g it down a bit after a torn bicep last summer which was an injury that would not have happened had i been 10 years younger.

I switched to defense also to use smarts more than all out skating assaults like playing forward. I did that tp stay playing competitively ... sorta.

But I play in an A men's league, a recreational pickup ice rental game a week and also a co-ed very relaxed with some who cannot play just for fun and to help out by passing to people at a higher level of crispness etc. I purposely don't dominate anything there to ruin the fun.

I do take slapshots in the A league only and from the point. I average a goal a game playing defense which pretty decent. I get 2 or more goals in a game and then sometimes go a couple scoring no goals. Hockey is like that.

But yeah I am an old man now and am starting to act like it. I listen to my body .... mark recchi .... God bless him, I know how hard he must work to stay in that shape.

Quote:
For some reason pucks always seem like they go faster if they hit something at the end of shot. If you can snipe the bottom half of the crossbar it just makes the shot look so hard and precise.

I bet if he just put it top corner it wouldn't have stood out so much. I think it is because you can see, and hear the beginning and end of the shot.

I thought it would be cool to get some old drum symbols and tie them up for target practice. I would have fun, my neighbours would be pissed
Yes that is true by the way Beavboyz .... I get some woots when it goes in off the pipe. I think it is because we use the non-marking pucks at the rinks I skate at, they are like a more plastic type rubber that freezes marble hard. I used to go through more wood blades when using those old Inglasco NHL quality pucks which freeze harder. The Canadian Tire aND GENERAL TIRE ONES ALSO FREEZE HARDER IF ANYONE NEEDS THAT INFO. Ooops damned caPS KEY!

The newer commercially available Inglascos are a regular vulcanized rubber .... um yeah they really do make different pucks so stop buying those cheap Chinese ones made from recycled tires.

You know you have the good ones when they have that high pitched PINGGGG off the pipe like in the pros instead of a CLUNKK sound.

That is one reason I like the hanging bottles in the net. They make a nice smashy sound when they are not filled with rain water that is. I bet metal coffee cans would rule it .... this gives me an idea! .... I'm sure the neighbors will be thrilled especially the ones living near the outdoor rink at night lol.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-15-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
boot399

My Slapshot

I have got alot better from when i recorded this video but my video camera isn't working right now so i had to deal with this one

Old
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I have got alot better from when i recorded this video but my video camera isn't working right now so i had to deal with this one

Ha that slo-mo intro ruled it! You knocked over the plywood!

I used a camera video as well because I do not have a video camera. The shots looked okay and the same thing applies to you as most of the others, you need more leg drive into the shots for more power.

So far most of the arm action is okay by almost everyone in this thread it is just the leg work that is wrong. read up on some of the other responses to that in this thread, it'll help you out