HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
I wish someone liked Kansas enough to invite them to a better conference, haha.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Tressel just needs some new scrubs to beat up on since RichRod sucks and JoePa is old and senile.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Is this one more step toward an NCAA D-1 Football Playoff ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Only way that happens is if it ends up at 4 superconferences of 16 teams. Not a fan of the superconferences, but hey, I'll take it. Certainly beats our current system. Only problem is that at least one of the mid-pack BCS contenders (TCU, Boise, Utah, BYU) are likely to still be left out depending on what kind of expansion the Pac 10 does. Even with this setup there are still 3 teams (likely TCU, Cincy or Louisville, and USF) left out of the picture that shouldn't be.

Last edited by DaveG: 05-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

And then of course you get the situation where some other school(s) starts to get good and they start to feel left out again.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:53 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I don't want Nebraska, I am okay with the others. I'd like Texas too, not only because it can add a ton but I'd like it personally too

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:29 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I don't want Nebraska, I am okay with the others. I'd like Texas too, not only because it can add a ton but I'd like it personally too
What's with all the Nebraska hate? Outside of the last 6 or 7 years, they've been a pretty strong program. I realize their academic standards aren't as high as the other Big-10 schools, but I'm sure they would improve once they were added.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Not until playoff $$$>BCS $$$.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
What's with all the Nebraska hate? Outside of the last 6 or 7 years, they've been a pretty strong program. I realize their academic standards aren't as high as the other Big-10 schools, but I'm sure they would improve once they were added.
that is the main reason for me, while Mizzou isn't as strong as the other schools either it adds the Kansas City and St Louis markets which lead to $$$.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Its the academics.

Its the same reason I laugh when people place BYU in the Pac-10. There are more than football to decisions like this when it comes to conferences, and prestige is ridiculously important to these school presidents. The Big Ten is on an island as it stands with their standards. The Pac-10 has some great schools, but it also has the Arizona schools and Washington State. This is one of the reasons why I've been pushing so hard for Pitt to the Big Ten because it fits the conference perfectly in every regard, except for the apparent fact that because Pennsylvania is already in the Big Ten's reach its unnecessary to include one of the most academically prestigious D-1 programs in the country.

I can only imagine how different life would be here at the University of Montana had the Grizzlies stayed in the Pacific Coast Conference.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Its the academics.
That and they run a dirty program, only play cupcakes in non-conference play and have the smuggest fan base in the game. Yes, worse than Notre Dame fans!

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That and they run a dirty program, only play cupcakes in non-conference play and have the smuggest fan base in the game. Yes, worse than Notre Dame fans!
Give them some credit, they babysat Bill Callahan for 4 seasons.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Hey! Don't badmouth Western Kentucky, Idaho, and South Dakota State like that!

Old
05-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hey! Don't badmouth Western Kentucky, Idaho, and South Dakota State like that!
I was referring to UDub.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
If the Big 12 loses 1 school, let alone 3, they'll immediately be out to recoup that loss. They'll go after TCU, Arkansas, and someone else.

There will be a ripple effect, and the conference that will be in shambles will be a mid-major, not the Big 12, outside chance it's the Big East

Or does Texas mean that much to the Big 12?

Last edited by GKJ: 05-11-2010 at 09:45 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:57 PM
invictus

Quote:
Its the academics.

Its the same reason I laugh when people place BYU in the Pac-10. There are more than football to decisions like this when it comes to conferences, and prestige is ridiculously important to these school presidents. The Big Ten is on an island as it stands with their standards. The Pac-10 has some great schools, but it also has the Arizona schools and Washington State. This is one of the reasons why I've been pushing so hard for Pitt to the Big Ten because it fits the conference perfectly in every regard, except for the apparent fact that because Pennsylvania is already in the Big Ten's reach its unnecessary to include one of the most academically prestigious D-1 programs in the country.

I can only imagine how different life would be here at the University of Montana had the Grizzlies stayed in the Pacific Coast Conference.
In what regard is Pitt one of the most academically prestigious D-1 programs in the country? I never thought of it as a bad school or anything, I'm just not from the area and other than the Cathedral of Learning, I really don't know much that makes it special.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Pitt is right around UGA and Maryland. Not great, not terrible.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:45 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
In what regard is Pitt one of the most academically prestigious D-1 programs in the country? I never thought of it as a bad school or anything, I'm just not from the area and other than the Cathedral of Learning, I really don't know much that makes it special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Pitt is right around UGA and Maryland. Not great, not terrible.
I believe he's referring to the University of Pennsylvania of the Ivy League and that its academic excellence can be used as an excuse for not needing/wanting Pitt.

05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Its the academics.

I'm not up on US university standards, so I guess that's why I don't quite get this whole thing. I never really thought of Iowa or MSU as great academic schools, but I may be wrong. The Big-10 could always lay down new academic requirements for new schools to abide by if they want in. It would be worth their while for the TV money alone.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Big-10 could always lay down new academic requirements for new schools to abide by if they want in.
Then forget Nebraska joining. This is a school that fired its coach the same year he got a contract extension.

Anyway, there's been a flury of denials about this story.

Old
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Easter Epic

Send a message via AIM to Easter Epic
Aren't we missing the greater point at hand......
How does a conference called the Big X have more than 10 teams?
Epic fail if you ask me.

Easter Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If the Big 12 loses 1 school, let alone 3, they'll immediately be out to recoup that loss. They'll go after TCU, Arkansas, and someone else.

There will be a ripple effect, and the conference that will be in shambles will be a mid-major, not the Big 12, outside chance it's the Big East

Or does Texas mean that much to the Big 12?
I'd say Texas means that much to the Big 12 ... They're usually a top 5 team in the nation in just about every sport beside Hockey

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Unholy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easter Epic View Post
Epic fail if you ask me.
yeah they probably answered those questions 20 years ago when they expanded to 11 schools

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Its one of the most prestigious medical programs in the world and a leading research university. Its consistently in the top 60 in world rankings. The other programs are nice and all I'm sure, but its the medical side of thing that puts Pitt up there. On rankings and affiliation scales it would be in the top third of the Big Ten.

Its still far from the best institution in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon), but of D-1 programs its in that second wave of academic programs (effectively about a third of the Pac-10 is the top tier).

I grew up a Penn State, for the record, and when it comes to the FBS I am still a Penn State guy. Pitt just fits the Big Ten persona so perfectly. The only ARWU Top 100 listed school that the Big Ten invited in this group would be Rutgers, who at spot #55 ranks lower than Pitt (50). In the present Big Ten only Iowa isn't ranked in the top 100. Even then Iowa ranks higher than Nebraska (Iowa in the top half of the 100s, Nebraska in the lower...they don't specify rankings past 100. Notre Dame & Missouri are on the same level as Buffalo and Southern Florida).

Though lists like that tend to change drastically year-to-year (Carnegie Mellon has top 5 rankings and is #59 there. Washington University in St. Louis (#29) is not a lesser institution than Minnesota (28), etc.).

Old
05-13-2010, 03:46 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easter Epic View Post
Epic fail if you ask me.
They were the Big Ten for almost 100 years before they added another school... they kept it for its history and name recognition.

Notice the 11 inside the logo.. so it's not like they don't acknowledge they have 11 schools, even if they do it subtlety.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote