HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

One More Time Regarding 2010-2011 Cap

Old
05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
McMikel

vCash: 500
One More Time Regarding 2010-2011 Cap

I have a few questions on the science behind the cap.

Spacek has 35+ cap (or is it a contract). The Habs can not unload his contract, regardless. Correct?

BGL was bought out and the Habs do not take a hit for his salary. Right?

Can the Canadiens package salaries on the 2010-11 cap list with a player, say a goaltender, and trade off this obligation (Hammrlik & Price)?

McMikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

1) Correct, unless via trade or LTIR. LITR wouldn't remove his hit but allow us to add that amount to our cap.

2) BGL hasn't been bought out yet, it's not the proper timeframe, but his hit would be 500k for next season and the one after. Not too bad but disappointing none the less. What a bum.

3) Hamrlik has got to go in a production vs. cap hit stand point, Price's hit would probably be around 1.5-2.5m so he's worth keeping (I'm a huge fan, I'm biased.) The Kostitsyn's are for sure gone IMO, that's 4m. Mara, Metro and Bergeron are gone too 3.2m around.

Total leaving (not incl. the returning salary for the Kostitsyn and Hamrlik trades that will surely happen) = 5.5 + 4 + 3.2 = ~12.7m

To resign (to significant salary increase): Plekanec, Halak, Price.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMikel View Post
I have a few questions on the science behind the cap.

Spacek has 35+ cap (or is it a contract). The Habs can not unload his contract, regardless. Correct?

BGL was bought out and the Habs do not take a hit for his salary. Right?

Can the Canadiens package salaries on the 2010-11 cap list with a player, say a goaltender, and trade off this obligation (Hammrlik & Price)?
Spacek is 35+ so if he retires, we're still on hook for his salary against the cap.

Any bought out player counts against the cap.

Anybody can be packaged in a trade.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
1) Correct, unless via trade or LTIR. LITR wouldn't remove his hit but allow us to add that amount to our cap.

2) BGL hasn't been bought out yet, it's not the proper timeframe, but his hit would be 500k for next season and the one after. Not too bad but disappointing none the less. What a bum.

3) Hamrlik has got to go in a production vs. cap hit stand point, Price's hit would probably be around 1.5-2.5m so he's worth keeping (I'm a huge fan, I'm biased.) The Kostitsyn's are for sure gone IMO, that's 4m. Mara, Metro and Bergeron are gone too 3.2m around.

Total leaving (not incl. the returning salary for the Kostitsyn and Hamrlik trades that will surely happen) = 5.5 + 4 + 3.2 = ~12.7m

To resign (to significant salary increase): Plekanec, Halak, Price.
BGL had one year left after this year. His contract was to end next season, 2010-2011.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
BGL had one year left after this year. His contract was to end next season, 2010-2011.
We can either take his $1.6m cap hit next year, or we can buy him out and take a 500k cap hit for 2 years.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
We can either take his $1.6m cap hit next year, or we can buy him out and take a 500k cap hit for 2 years.
Personally, I'd pay him the $1.6m to do nothing next year so he doesn't get a job. I'd also want to save our cap space for 2 years from now.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote