HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missing Cammalleri

Old
05-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Mattias

vCash: 500
He wanted to stay with the Kings as much as Kovalchuk wanted to stay with the Thrashers.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

wats funny is u guys think TM would let Cammalleri play Cammalleri hockey. He was always a 1 dimenseional player and even though he gets more glory, players like Handzus are the ones who are the real money players.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
wats funny is u guys think TM would let Cammalleri play Cammalleri hockey. He was always a 1 dimenseional player and even though he gets more glory, players like Handzus are the ones who are the real money players.
This, FTW. Hard to miss something that you would not have had anyway.

My only regret is that he wasn't moved sooner when his value was higher. That is Lombardi's only mistake in the matter.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Hollywood

Lombardi beat him down in arbitration and wouldn't let his ego be beaten down by an up and coming yet not proven(to the rest of the NHL) sniper. Lombardi has done a lot for this organization but he has made some massive blunders that have impeded the good things he has done. Camms is one of the biggest mistakes.
He is exactly what we missed this year but ego came into play again...

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 152
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Lombardi beat him down in arbitration and wouldn't let his ego be beaten down by an up and coming yet not proven(to the rest of the NHL) sniper. Lombardi has done a lot for this organization but he has made some massive blunders that have impeded the good things he has done. Camms is one of the biggest mistakes.
Ridiculous. DL doesn't have to bend over backwards for Cammy. Dean is a player agent and a labor attorney - that is why Cammy lost, that and he wasn't worth anywhere near $6 million. We had a decent team this year and made major strides. Look to have our offensive woes rectified this offseason. The re-build is obviously garnishing results, why not continue it intelligently? Not everything comes at once.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:40 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Sorry pal but your way wrong on this one. The only ego that came into play was Mikes.Your letting your fanism cloud your rational judgement. As you put it:

"Lombardi beat him down in arbitration and wouldn't let his ego be beaten down by an up and coming yet not proven(to the rest of the NHL) sniper". You'd really pay an uproven one-way player 5-6 million ? This isn't NYC or Toronto.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Sorry pal but your way wrong on this one. The only ego that came into play was Mikes.Your letting your fanism cloud your rational judgement. As you put it:

"Lombardi beat him down in arbitration and wouldn't let his ego be beaten down by an up and coming yet not proven(to the rest of the NHL) sniper". You'd really pay an uproven one-way player 5-6 million ? This isn't NYC or Toronto.
Dean didn't want to pay Cammalleri 6 mill...but a year later he is cool with paying Ryan Smyth 6 million, or Justin Williams and Jarret Stoll 3.5 million each?

You guys are hilarious with your one way BS, you know the goal is to score the most goals. You want all these gritty guys and then wonder why we have trouble scoring goals in the playoffs.

Montreal is one win away from knocking out the Presidents Trophy winners and defending Cup Champs in back to back series...largely on the back one "one dimensional and unproven" Mike Cammalleri.

And as for the rumors of him not wanting to play in LA, after the 07 season he and his agent were looking for a 5 year deal worth 25 million. He wanted to stay a King at the time, maybe the arbitration situation changed things. But if DL had done the smart thing and signed him then he would still be here, we would have a young sniper in his prime for another 2 years, instead of a broken down Smyth for the same cap hit.

The fact remains LA had a homegrown guy who is playing like one of the better snipers in the league right now, traded him for a draft pick which turned into Colten friggin Teubert, this was obviously an awful deal, considering the thing the Kings are most lacking right now is a 1st line sniper.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:05 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

How many times does this have to be beaten into Kings fans heads. Cammalleri didn't want to play for the Los Angeles Kings. Had no desire. Out right said he didn't want to be a King (see above posts). Michael Cammalleri (then not yet proven and free agent the next season) was traded for a 1st round pick. That's pretty good deal.

End this nonsense. Your making us look like Duck fans.

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Ridiculous. DL doesn't have to bend over backwards for Cammy. Dean is a player agent and a labor attorney - that is why Cammy lost, that and he wasn't worth anywhere near $6 million. We had a decent team this year and made major strides. Look to have our offensive woes rectified this offseason. The re-build is obviously garnishing results, why not continue it intelligently? Not everything comes at once.
You talk about the $6 million...but if it was about the $$$ why did DL have no problem trading for Ryan Smyth and his god awful contract.

Would you rather be paying Cammy $24 million over the next 4 years or Smyth $12 million over the next two?

I'm sure we will hear the "Smyth is a DL type of player" excuse, just like Williams, Calder, Stoll and Stuart were DL players also.

DL clearly doesn't like players like Cammalleri and Visnovsky, which is another reason I don't see us signing Kovalchuk, he isn't a "DL kind of player"

If you ask me, this team needs more skill players and less "DL type players"

Old
05-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

It's easy to criticize Lombardi right now while Cammalleri is killing it in the playoffs, but I don't remember much naysaying when Cammi finished the year with 26 goals in 65 games, only a 32 goal pace when you multiply it out over an entire season.

Brownie had 24 on the year, plays defense, hits, and he's only making $3.175 a year through 2013-14.

Would you guys really want to pay Cammalleri almost double that to score about 8 more goals a year?

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
How many times does this have to be beaten into Kings fans heads. Cammalleri didn't want to play for the Los Angeles Kings. Had no desire. Out right said he didn't want to be a King (see above posts). Michael Cammalleri (then not yet proven and free agent the next season) was traded for a 1st round pick. That's pretty good deal.

It's not all of us. It's just a few sentimental types. Most of us knew he was not going to stay a King.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post

Because it's not true...Cammalleri was looking for a long term deal from the Kings after the 06-07 season, DL did not feel he was worth the money, they went to arbitration and the rest is history.

If 5 years, 25 mill had been offered in the summer of 07 he would still be a King, whether you want to believe it or not, that is the truth.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
You talk about the $6 million...but if it was about the $$$ why did DL have no problem trading for Ryan Smyth and his god awful contract.

Would you rather be paying Cammy $24 million over the next 4 years or Smyth $12 million over the next two?

I'm sure we will hear the "Smyth is a DL type of player" excuse, just like Williams, Calder, Stoll and Stuart were DL players also.

DL clearly doesn't like players like Cammalleri and Visnovsky, which is another reason I don't see us signing Kovalchuk, he isn't a "DL kind of player"

My thinking is...

Cammalleri had one shot at becoming unrestricted, especially at a time when he is entering his prime and he can earn the most money possible in an open market. It is his one big ticket to earning a fat contract that will cover most of his earnings as a professional athlete.

After signing a big contract, he isn't going to have much left to provide and isn't going to earn as much. With that in his mind, he was dead set to test the free agent waters and see what he could get on the open market. Montreal came calling, he found it to be a desirable location, close to home, lots of money and a long-term deal. It was the perfect fit.

I'm happy for what Cammalleri has accomplished, was a big fan of his since his college years and I still like watching him perform. But I can also accept the fact that he had no desire to stay here. Cammalleri clearly wasn't going to take a home team discount, and at that time, that is what the Kings were looking for, a player who can show commitment to the organization like we saw from Kopitar and Brown when they took discounts and were willing to forgo the free agency process to sign long term extensions.

They also got Quick locked up to a bargain price. We will likely see that happen next with Doughty and hopefully Johnson and Simmonds soon thereafter. Who knows, maybe Kozun can develop into the next Cammalleri. He has the same spark in his game.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm happy for what Cammalleri has accomplished, was a big fan of his since his college years and I still like watching him perform. But I can also accept the fact that he had no desire to stay here. Cammalleri clearly wasn't going to take a home team discount, and at that time, that is what the Kings were looking for, a player who can show commitment to the organization like we saw from Kopitar and Brown when they took discounts and were willing to forgo the free agency process to sign long term extensions.
I agree, and I think what people are forgetting is that at the time Cammalleri was an impending free agent, this was not a team that was one sniper away from being a contender like it is now, it was a bottom feeder in the midst of a lengthy rebuild. In 2007-08 we went 32-43-7 and our starter was Jason Labarbera.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Football sucks.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:30 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
Cammy was never going to re-sign in LA anyway.
This.

I'm disappointed that L.A. couldn't get more in trade for him, but Cammalleri wasn't going to return.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
This.

I'm disappointed that L.A. couldn't get more in trade for him, but Cammalleri wasn't going to return.
He wasn't going to return because Lombardi wasn't going to offer him fair market value, he wanted to be a King but the feeling wasn't mutual.

When you guys say he wasn't going to return, you are right, but its not on Cammalleri, its on Lombardi, he made the decision to not sign him, its not as if Lombardi made a respectable offer and Cammy said "I will not play in LA." Hell the guy still owns a home in the south bay. Lombardi used the money he could have paid Cammalleri and traded Kyle Quincey for Ryan Smyth and his $6 mill contract a year later, I'm sure some of you would prefer Smyth, I personally think Cammalleri is much more a $6 mill player than Smyth.

And as for the Flames, they made the decision to acquire JayBo's rights and went in that direction, and they suffered because of it, as they had terrible issues scoring goals this season.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 152
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Dean didn't want to pay Cammalleri 6 mill...but a year later he is cool with paying Ryan Smyth 6 million, or Justin Williams and Jarret Stoll 3.5 million each?

You guys are hilarious with your one way BS, you know the goal is to score the most goals. You want all these gritty guys and then wonder why we have trouble scoring goals in the playoffs.

Montreal is one win away from knocking out the Presidents Trophy winners and defending Cup Champs in back to back series...largely on the back one "one dimensional and unproven" Mike Cammalleri.

And as for the rumors of him not wanting to play in LA, after the 07 season he and his agent were looking for a 5 year deal worth 25 million. He wanted to stay a King at the time, maybe the arbitration situation changed things. But if DL had done the smart thing and signed him then he would still be here, we would have a young sniper in his prime for another 2 years, instead of a broken down Smyth for the same cap hit.

The fact remains LA had a homegrown guy who is playing like one of the better snipers in the league right now, traded him for a draft pick which turned into Colten friggin Teubert, this was obviously an awful deal, considering the thing the Kings are most lacking right now is a 1st line sniper.
Quote:

Quote:
He wasn't going to return because Lombardi wasn't going to offer him fair market value, he wanted to be a King but the feeling wasn't mutual.

When you guys say he wasn't going to return, you are right, but its not on Cammalleri, its on Lombardi, he made the decision to not sign him, its not as if Lombardi made a respectable offer and Cammy said "I will not play in LA." Hell the guy still owns a home in the south bay. Lombardi used the money he could have paid Cammalleri and traded Kyle Quincey for Ryan Smyth and his $6 mill contract a year later, I'm sure some of you would prefer Smyth, I personally think Cammalleri is much more a $6 mill player than Smyth.

And as for the Flames, they made the decision to acquire JayBo's rights and went in that direction, and they suffered because of it, as they had terrible issues scoring goals this season.
Wow, it is like you took every single thing that fanbase believes and just decided to go the other way just for the sake of being controversial

You have basis for your reasons though, whether random conjecture or blindly accurate - it makes no difference, and they are clearly unwavering, but it seems that you yourself have answered all your own questions so that leaves little to say other than at least wait until free agency and/or Teubert to develop before letting the tears flow.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:51 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

Fair market value for a player in his 2nd season? IIRC, he wanted to be the highest paid player on the Kings (at a time when Luc and Blake were on the team).

Cammalleri LOST the arbitration case, so apparently the arb judges agreed that Cammalleri wanted too much.

For the record, Smyth's bad contract doesn't suddenly make Cammalleri's $6M demand any sweeter.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:53 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Montreal is one win away from knocking out the Presidents Trophy winners and defending Cup Champs in back to back series...largely on the back one "one dimensional and unproven" Jaroslav Halak.
Fixed that for you.

Old
05-12-2010, 04:07 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

As much as I've defended Lombardi over that move, I gotta admit that seeing Cammy light up these playoffs is making me wish he was still a King.

Certainly would have helped our 5 on 5 play.

The reality is that if DL would have given Cammy that 5 per deal, we probably wouldn't have Smyth and we definitely wouldn't be looking at Marleau or Kovy next year.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Wow, it is like you took every single thing that fanbase believes and just decided to go the other way just for the sake of being controversial

You have basis for your reasons though, whether random conjecture or blindly accurate - it makes no difference, and they are clearly unwavering, but it seems that you yourself have answered all your own questions so that leaves little to say other than at least wait until free agency and/or Teubert to develop before letting the tears flow.
Because people just seem to make stuff up, just like 100% false rumors that Cammalleri was going to go play for the St. Mike's Majors unless the Kings broke the bank for him. It's like if people say it enough on this board it becomes fact, even when its not.

If Lombardi didn't want to pay him, then fine, but people seem to want to peg it on Cammalleri not wanting to stay in LA, which isn't true. This was an asset decision made by Dean Lombardi. And the fact that he signed for $6 mill and right now is earning every penny of it, seems to prove that there was a $6 mill demand for him

Lombardi had negative feelings towards Cammalleri, Diehards comments should show everyone that, Dean clearly didn't think much of him, and IMO it was a disaster of a trade, all the way from the original deal to the selection of Teubert, who has clearly not come close to living up to expectations.

Honest question for you...if you were re-doing the 2008 draft right now would you take Teubert in the Top 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Fixed that for you.
Halak has been remarkable, more so in the Washington series, but Cammy has 11 goals and the next highest guy has five, he has carried that team offensively. Pretty amazing for a guy who was a product of Iginla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
As much as I've defended Lombardi over that move, I gotta admit that seeing Cammy light up these playoffs is making me wish he was still a King.

Certainly would have helped our 5 on 5 play.

The reality is that if DL would have given Cammy that 5 per deal, we probably wouldn't have Smyth and we definitely wouldn't be looking at Marleau or Kovy next year.
Smyth is a negative at this point, the guy has been through so many battles throughout his career, I just don't see him as a guy who can play a 1st line role and have that much of a cap hit. Although I agree with you about the Kovalchuk/Marleau part, I'm not sure we can afford it because of Smyth's contract. Been saying that for awhile now, the Kings are going to have to set aside a ton of money to sign Doughty, Johnson and even Simmonds.

I don't see DL shelling out that much money for a player like Kovalchuk, which is unfortunate, because this team really needs a sniper, badly.

Last edited by Herby: 05-12-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old
05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:

this

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Do I regret the trade? Not really, but I do wish Cammy was still here. Hindsight is 20/20 and I can't say wether he would have left in free agency anyway or if TM makes him want to leave or if what herby is saying is true, or whatever, but he definitely would have been great to have. If he isn't traded (and stays, obviously), we probably don't get Smyth, but the Williams deal still seems like it could happen along with Modin and Halpern. Just a thrown together lineup:

Cammalleri - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Stoll - Brown
Richardson - Handzus - Simmonds
Parse - Halpern - Modin
Clune/Harrold

Doughty - Scuderi
Johnson - Quincey
Greene - O'Donnell
Preissing

Maybe you put Fro and Cammy back together since Fro had his best season with him and Armstrong and that season nearly matches the production Cammy put up with Iginla (34G 80P vs 39G 82P). The cap situation wouldn't even be that much different than we're in now. Quincey would need an extension this spring and Preissing's contract ends 2011. Cammy + Quicney extension wouldn't be that much more than Smyth's cap hit, which ends after we have to extend the RFAs and we wouldn't really be pining for Kovi.

Obviously it's impossible to predict what would have happened, but that's pretty nice. The past is the past and I'm not upset about it, but I do wonder sometimes.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:07 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
that is why Cammy lost.
Really? Cammy lost? How exactly has a player who is playing some of his best hockey for a team about to challenge Pittsburgh for a EC playoff spot making a salary he is worth, how did he lose?

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote