Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL Announces 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup Bid Applicants

Old
05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Quite honestly Branch and the OHL has no right to ever claim they care about the communities their teams are in. This decision makes it abundantly clear. Windsor is a long time member of the OHL and has long supported junior hockey. Given the recent struggles of this auto town, Branch had a golden opportunity to help kick start the economy of this community when they could really need it. Instead they opted to award the memorial cup to Mississauga to improve the league's footprint. That's not a decision based on caring about the community.
I think that Windsor will have a great shot in 2014. The fact that the Cup has gone to three staight Western Conference teams I think played a factor. You're talking about significant road trips for people from Ottawa, Kingston, Belleville, Oshawa, Sudbury etc. I think it's time those folks got a turn.

Your point about rewarding OHL communities is well taken. We could have certainly used it here in Barrie, this community took a major hit with the closing of Molson's several years ago, and the delays in building Park Place. Certainly Barrie hockey fans have supported Junior hockey and we were turned down once before right after building the brand new rink. Like I say, I would have preferred it were here, but at least I can stop in Mississauga on the way home from work for a game and then head home without a hotel.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
No, but I wish I had heard it! My job isn't such that I can really listen or call in during the day.

I wrote to Landry and Stellick the day after the final ended, but I'm not sure if they mentioned it next day. It was interesting to hear unbiased views on the whole Kerby Rychel thing...

Cheers,
Shawn
No problem...there was a Shawn from Barrie on the show and he really knew his stuff!
I thought there would be a good chance it was you!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Ottomatic

A big deal is being made about Melynk's $3M guarantee - How much did the WFCU center cost? Who's paying for that? The Windsor tax payers. That was a HUGE commitment from tax payers and the Memorial Cup was going to go a long way to pump money back into the area.

I think everybody realizes that the fix was in and this was decided long ago when Melnyk bought the Majors.

And according to an article in the Star, Branch and co "forgot" the MVP trophy which is why it wasn't presented.

I hope Rychel keeps the team together to see what they got. I still think they could be a top tier team next season of we get our non-OA's (other than Hall) back and a couple US commitments.

Not to mention Mississauga sort of threw in the towel this season - at least the Spits made moves to make a run this season as well. Mississauga stood pat even though they had a top team in the East because their eyes were on next season and only next season. That's pretty crummy. But I guess it was rewarded.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 11:49 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
You do know Branch isn't on the selection committee, right? He doesn't get a vote.

And you don't know what either bid looked like, or how the presentation went. When Kitchener was awarded the 2008 Cup, everyone in Ontario figured it was Oshawa's. Their presentation wasn't as strong, there were a few screwups, and they lost the bid to Kitchener.

Missy will have a very strong team next year, without counting on players who haven't yet reported. And I can't help but think that the WFCU ticket process hurt them as well. If they struggle to get tickets arranged for a regular season game for a group of 20, I'd be concerned about screwups when it comes to providing tickets across the country as well as the media that covers the event.

Another thought.... I wonder how much the threat of a CUPE or other union strike factored in. What better opportunity for a union than to cause havoc when the national sports and other media is focused on your city?
Yes. I know Branch did not have a vote. Who appointed the selection committe as well as set the criteria? I would imagine Mr. Branch would have had some form of input into who was on there and what criteria they should be following when making their decision. I am also sure as the OHL commissioner as well as president of the CHL he would have some influence with the committee members, even without a vote.

As I have stated in other posts I have no issue that Missy will do a good job with the hosting duties and I wish them all the best but my issues are with the criteria that was set out and publicly outlined and the failure to apply it when the decision was made.

Strength of team can only be speculated about. Yes some players are more likely to return then others but if a player has eligibility left you cannot completely discount them during the selection process. Who would have thought that Timmins and Mitchell would be on their way to Brandon this season. They were completely out of mind when looking at this season's Spitfire roster.

The biggest factor after strength of team as I understood it was fan support. Now how can someone convince this committee that Missy has strong fan support? They need to rely on corporate spomsorship and out of town fans to make this a success. If that were not to happen, and I do fully expect them to receive that type of support but if not then this tourney will not be the success that it should be. No one should expect out of town support to carry this tourney... but that must be what is happening since the attendance figures clearly show a lack of support for the OHL/Missy.

Money, money, money. Yes it is what business is all about but to take a chance with a tourney that represents the interests of 60 teams and award it, at least to a certain extent on past monetary favours one owner has done for the league is wrong. He did a service to the league but he is now benefitting at the expense of others in the league.

I can understand your issue with the ticket situation in Windsor having some flaws as I am sure no other venue has ever screwed up ticket sales except the WFCU Centre. The only OHL arena that is not perfect. I am sure though that the comments on the NOOF concerning ticket sales for this event and the problems that are perceived to be shaping up (I have not personally looked into it) will still pale in comparison to the twenty tickets that were screwed up even though these problems could affect hundreds.

The exposure of the league to the GTA. Well how many times has the league had a franchise in the GTA that has failed to survive or at least been moved elsewhere so that it would not fold? This tourney will not likely do much for attendance in Missy or Brampton as well as not likely generate much media attention throughout the season or after the tourney is over. It will undoubtedly get some exposure during the time it is ongoing but before and after will likely be business as usual as far as the media is concerned.

I just feel this was awarded to Missy for all the wrong reasons and nothing to do with what was stated in regards to the criteria set up for the bidders. To me that is all wrong.

As for Cupe or other unions, that is a bit of a needless and insulting shot towards our region especially when you consider that CUPE also went on strike in Toronto last year during the same time frame, just not as long. So do we have to worry about that in the Missy/GTA region next May as well or is it simply a Windsor thing. If you followed that strike much you would also realize that most of the directives were issued by the union bosses located in Toronto so they could decide what tactics would work best when their Toronto members went out on strike. With CUPE being a national union I guess they could affect any region/city at anytime they have a contract to settle so where will they strike next?

The east vs west arguement doesn't make much sense to me when it should be based on who will better represent the CHL/OHL. Eastern conf. teams or western conf. teams, can you tell me who represents the OHL better? If there needs to be a generic answer then for me it would be the western teams since they have now won the last three OHL championships. IMO though it doesn't matter, just the strength of the bid.

Yes I know we Windsor fans sound disgruntled and some of us are but for different reasons. Like I have said it is the way the proccess was applied, one way for one team and another way for the other three teams by the looks of it which shows that the proccess was possibly manipulated.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
RayzorIsDull

cfaub-Branch said Missisauga met and surpassed all the criteria. Thought you would like that one. Meeting and surpassing that fan commitment must have been tough, I mean drawing 1400 for a 2nd round playoff game. Branch should be honest with the public for once.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
youngblood10

Great post cfaud. The only thing I'd debate is if the Leafs win a round in the playoffs, they can kiss that media coverage good bye.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Ottomatic

This quote from the Star article says it all -
Quote:
Majors executive vice-president Duncan Stauth said it is important to bring the Memorial Cup to Mississauga because the fan base in the region can be motivated by a high-profile event.

“This town loves big events and this is the biggest — a national championship,” Stauth said. “It doesn’t get any bigger.

Old
05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Yes I know we Windsor fans sound disgruntled and some of us are but for different reasons. Like I have said it is the way the proccess was applied, one way for one team and another way for the other three teams by the looks of it which shows that the proccess was possibly manipulated.
Good post. I don't think anyone would disagree with you in terms of your assessment of the quality of the team. Gord Kirk was on the radio this evening and talked about the selection process. I do remember him saying that they considered:

- Strength of club
- Facility
- Accessibility/Infrastructure

The one area where I think Windsor would have to fall considerably behind Mississauga is Accessibility/Infrastructure. Quantity of hotels would have to be strongly in Mississauga's favour as would general accessibility - junction of the 401 and 427 or wherever it is - basically smack in the middle of all OHL teams.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
This quote from the Star article says it all -
I would tell that guy the Eastern Conference Finals is huge for your hockey franchise and nobody gave a care. Yep 1500-2000 are already accounted for so you only need to sell 4000, congrats Missisauga. Hope your quest for an OHL title and Memorial Cup title goes down the toilet. Better tell your coach to loosen the reigns on the players, nobody will want to watch a team that traps to death all game.

Old
05-11-2010, 12:56 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
I can understand your issue with the ticket situation in Windsor having some flaws as I am sure no other venue has ever screwed up ticket sales except the WFCU Centre. The only OHL arena that is not perfect. I am sure though that the comments on the NOOF concerning ticket sales for this event and the problems that are perceived to be shaping up (I have not personally looked into it) will still pale in comparison to the twenty tickets that were screwed up even though these problems could affect hundreds.

The exposure of the league to the GTA. Well how many times has the league had a franchise in the GTA that has failed to survive or at least been moved elsewhere so that it would not fold? This tourney will not likely do much for attendance in Missy or Brampton as well as not likely generate much media attention throughout the season or after the tourney is over. It will undoubtedly get some exposure during the time it is ongoing but before and after will likely be business as usual as far as the media is concerned.

I just feel this was awarded to Missy for all the wrong reasons and nothing to do with what was stated in regards to the criteria set up for the bidders. To me that is all wrong.

As for Cupe or other unions, that is a bit of a needless and insulting shot towards our region especially when you consider that CUPE also went on strike in Toronto last year during the same time frame, just not as long. So do we have to worry about that in the Missy/GTA region next May as well or is it simply a Windsor thing. If you followed that strike much you would also realize that most of the directives were issued by the union bosses located in Toronto so they could decide what tactics would work best when their Toronto members went out on strike. With CUPE being a national union I guess they could affect any region/city at anytime they have a contract to settle so where will they strike next?

The east vs west arguement doesn't make much sense to me when it should be based on who will better represent the CHL/OHL. Eastern conf. teams or western conf. teams, can you tell me who represents the OHL better? If there needs to be a generic answer then for me it would be the western teams since they have now won the last three OHL championships. IMO though it doesn't matter, just the strength of the bid.

I'm sorry - it wasn't my intention to rip on Windsor, or the fans. The CUPE question only entered my head because there was a problem last year with getting to the WFCU. You're right that a union could pull that stuff anywhere.

As far as the ticket office, I know that I'm not the only person who has run into issues with it. It's not run by the Spits, but it does affect the bid.

No one knows what hosting the Memorial Cup will do for the overall attendance in Mississauga (if I were to put money on it, I'd say it will have a minimal effect).

As I said, none of us has seen any of the bids, or knows what was taken into account. Kitchener put in a few bids along the way before they were awarded the 2008 Cup. My guess is that Windsor will take what they've learned, and will bid on the 2014 Cup, and they'll be successful at it. I think the fact that the West has hosted the past 3 times had a big effect.

I think we'll see a very good tournament - Missy will be loading up knowing they're hosting, and the western conference has been strong for quite some time.

I completely understand being disappointed in Windsor not being awarded the 2011 Cup. But we don't know what swayed the committee one way or the other.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
jughead42

All this talk of "well 2014 you'll have a chance" really bugs me. What does Windsor do, sell off their players and aim for 2014 only to see the Memorial Cup get awarded to the next Montgomery Burns wannabe piece of crap, who buys a franchise and tries to shoehorn it into a market that doesn't want it as a favor to Branch? Maybe the Newmarket Royals can return with all their rich history when the next franchise threatens to go belly up.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

Am I the only one that thinks Mississauga won't even be that great? Let's the current team at face value and look at how many draft picks they have, may have.

Cizikas
Gaunce-OA probably won't be back
Flemming
Billingsley-OA
Carrozzi-OA
Smith Pelley-will be drafted
JP Anderson-will be drafted

Doesn't look that impressive to me. One of the goalies won't be there probably Carrozzi, maybe another in Gaunce. Then you're left a meager 5 NHL draft picks. Not bad but to be hosting not that impressive either.

Old
05-11-2010, 02:29 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
All this talk of "well 2014 you'll have a chance" really bugs me. What does Windsor do, sell off their players and aim for 2014 only to see the Memorial Cup get awarded to the next Montgomery Burns wannabe piece of crap, who buys a franchise and tries to shoehorn it into a market that doesn't want it as a favor to Branch? Maybe the Newmarket Royals can return with all their rich history when the next franchise threatens to go belly up.
Couldn't agree with you more. This talk of Windsor selling off players shouldn't be etched in stone. Rychel and Boughner are two of the most competitive people you will see if they can make a run next year they will because they would love nothing more than to win another OHL title, then go to Missy and stomp on Branch's dream team. If Fowler and Ellis return will Missy have anybody at that level on D? Nope. Will they have a goalie as good as Jack Campbell? Nope. Will they have a forward better than Shugg or Kassian? Nope. Of course though the Majors are now the media darlings but whoops there is no media to cover their team.

Old
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Sorry, was just trying to cheer you up. Maybe you won't have another shot at it for a while. God knows we haven't had a sniff since the late 90's we had a great team and one of the nicest buildings in the OHL. We were turned down for similar reasons at the time (infrastructure). Buildings get old fast, and the WFCU Centre won't be top notch forever.

P.S. - I lived in Newmarket when the Royals were there. My first OHL game featured a Scott Walker hat trick. He never turned into anything, I don't think. Before that, I was an AHL guy (we had the Saints). I am convinced that no level of hockey will ever work in Newmarket (OHL, AHL), not even the NHL...

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Ottomatic

Melnyk buys the Memorial cup for $3M, Windsor Tax Payers are on the hook for a $60M WFCU center. I wonder what promises were made when Windsor decided to build that.

Why didn't the league give the Canada-Russia game to Mississauga, the Prospects Game to Mississauga? Because they wanted to use Windsor fans to sell out the events, knowing in Mississauga they'd get <1000 fans.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
krazy kanuck

From the Major's website:

Quote:
MEMORIAL CUP INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS

Due to limited seating availability, individual game tickets for the Memorial Cup will not be available.
Is this a joke? I'm not laughing. This could be one empty rink.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM
jughead42

From what I understand there's some scam to sell the tickets via seasons ticket packages or some such crap. You can buy packages for Majors season tickets with memorial cup packages included.

So Krazy, still planning on catching a game on your way home?

From what I understand any tickets that aren't sold this way by a specified time will then go up for sale, by it probably won't be individual game tickets.

If you're lucky, it will be a situation similar to Rimouski where a scalper is set up outside selling good individual tickets. I got mine at lower than face value this way, and there was no shortage of tickets.

Here's an interesting article I read about the 2011 mem cup.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...1_mississauga/

Here's the quote I found interesting. Most seem to be drinking the kool aid that Missy should be the superior team to Windsor next season, so this caught my attention:
Quote:
The Majors are primed for a run at the championship next season, but in many hockey circles aren't projected to be as strong as Windsor.

Last edited by jughead42: 05-12-2010 at 03:51 AM.
jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:10 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
From what I understand there's some scam to sell the tickets via seasons ticket packages or some such crap. You can buy packages for Majors season tickets with memorial cup packages included.

So Krazy, still planning on catching a game on your way home?

From what I understand any tickets that aren't sold this way by a specified time will then go up for sale, by it probably won't be individual game tickets.

If you're lucky, it will be a situation similar to Rimouski where a scalper is set up outside selling good individual tickets. I got mine at lower than face value this way, and there was no shortage of tickets.

Here's an interesting article I read about the 2011 mem cup.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...1_mississauga/

Here's the quote I found interesting. Most seem to be drinking the kool aid that Missy should be the superior team to Windsor next season, so this caught my attention:
Not if I have to buy the whole package, unless the Colts are in it...

Thanks for sharing that link. I note that article says that Fan Support is not a consideration. Interesting. It does say that facilities including rink, surrounding hotels, infrastructure etc. (obviously in Mississauga's favour) and team strength (questionable as to the favorite is) are. I wonder what the other to "official pillars" are.

Cheers,
Shawn