HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kari Lehtonen signs extension (3Y, $10.65M)

Old
05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Kari Lehtonen signs extension (3Y, $10.65M)

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Quote:
If there was any doubt about how much faith the Dallas Stars have in Kari Lehtonen, the club proved it beyond question today when they agreed to terms with the 26-year-old Finnish netminder on a three-year contract extension worth $10.65 million ($3.55 million per year average)

While there are always personnel changes from one season to the next, the Stars in 2010-11 are destined to be quite different, with perhaps the biggest lineup alteration being the departure of 10-year veteran goaltender Marty Turco as a free agent. That means Lehtonen, who was acquired in a trade with Atlanta on Feb. 9, will be counted upon to carry the load as the number one man between the pipes.

Lehtonen shone for the Stars down the stretch, demonstrating just how good he can be if he’s in tip-top shape and remains healthy. Over the final 14 games, of which he started nine, Lehtonen sparkled, fashioning a 6-3-0 mark, including his 100th career victory, with a 2.44 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.

"We’ve had a long tradition here of having premium goaltenders,” Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk said. “Marty Turco has been a solid goaltender here for over a decade now and has done great things on and off the ice. But I just felt for the long-term success of our franchise, we needed to acquire Kari Lehtonen. I think the way he played in the last 10-12 games, his performance showed that with a good summer of training, we hope that he can be an elite goaltender once again like he was early in his career.

“We’re moving forward with Kari. I just felt it was time we went in a different direction.”

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I like it if he stays healthy

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Chad_

How does a guy who played 12 NHL games since his last contract signing get an 18 percent raise? Too much for such an unproven commodity.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
The "raise" is likely in order to pay him less than 3 million this upcoming season, which wouldn't have been possible with a QO. We'll see how it breaks down.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Heika now saying the contract hasn't been signed...

Quote:
Kari Lehtonen has not yet signed his new contract as he is in Atlanta right now, but the team sent out a release that the two sides have agreed to terms.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Chad_

Don't do it, Kari. Pull a Jim Halpert and demand a pay decrease.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
vofty

As with the trade that brought Kari here, only time will tell if this is a good deal or not, but the Stars really had no other option so here's to a semi-long and healthy contract Kari

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
vofty

Contract breakdown per Andrews:
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...act_extension/
Quote:
...will pay him $2.7 million in the first year, $3.7 in the second and $4.25 million in the third.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

With a new bill of health and some tweaks on the blueline, this signing could be brilliant. I can't wait to see what he can do next year. Few more pieces to go Joe, keep it going.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Muchacoman

I liked the trade when it happened, and thought it was inevitable that this would happen sooner or later, but I am glad it was sooner. I like his size and commitment to stay in the crease and not try and do too much extra. I think that the structure of the contract helps us with the ownership situation and cap issues in the present, but will not hamper us in the future either.

Who else is left as RFA? Neal and Grossman I am aware of, am I leaving anyone else out? And does it mean anything that Lehtonen was the first of the group of RFAs to get resigned, or am I reading too much into this?

Muchacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The other real notable RFAs are Niskanen and Brunnstrom.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind seeing both Niskanen and Brunnstrom back (after Neal gets signed, of course - hurry the **** up, Joe, I'm getting impatient ), and then maybe they can shop Daley and/or Skrastins at the draft for a pick or something.

05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
SinBinTexan

can we just abandon Project Fabian? He is awful.

SinBinTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinBinTexan View Post
Meh. It's not entirely his fault, but he likely won't reach his potential here in Dallas. He was lost in a numbers game on the wings, and for various reasons, not the least of which was his hand-shake deal with management at the time of signing to not go to the minors, Brunnstrom found himself on the outside looking in.

I really hope he goes somewhere and has a good NHL career because I think he still can. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but he would look great next to Crosby. Yes, I know, a lot of players would, but the difference is that Fabian will be extremely cheap with considerable upside if he does pan out.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
SinBinTexan

i'll give you some of that, but he has been a turnover machine/pylon every game ive seen him in with absolutely no desire to defend.

SinBinTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Risky signing for you guys and I compare the Lehtonen situation to the LeClaire one we have in Ottawa. Two talented netminders that are always hurt and need to find consistancy...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Risky signing for you guys and I compare the Lehtonen situation to the LeClaire one we have in Ottawa. Two talented netminders that are always hurt and need to find consistancy...
If need be we have an ECHLer who can come up and get hot for us if Kari goes down. If Elliot can do it, maybe Bachman can.

I like giving him 10 mil over 3 years especially the way the contract is structured. Better than the 10 mil Vancouver will be giving Lou next year.

LeClaire did have a tough year no doubt, but what bad luck. Going to be straight with ya, Lehtonen does have more size and more talent than Leclaire. I feel like the Stars are getting him at the right age. He's more mature and will hopefully make the commitment to working harder this offseason to be in better physical shape to handle the rigours of a long season. He knows he has something to prove as a 2nd overall pick in 2002. And, the guy has won a division crown for the Atlanta Trashers; not many goalies will ever be able to say that. He's got upside, now he needs a little luck.

Old
05-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinBinTexan View Post
He has been awful, but he will be an absolute bargain no doubt. I don't mind keeping all the young RFA's, it's not going to cost us anymore than it did this year...ship the cash from Brunnstrom to the Real Deal and call it a done deal. I could see Brunnstrom and Ott being great wingers alongside Jamie Benn; two guys who aren't afraid to mix it up. Though Niskanen and Brunnstrom have been the 2 weaker players of the 4 RFAs, I don't see Dallas giving up these young talents with the current cap/ownership sitch.

Old
05-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Ub the Bub

If he stays healthy and reaches his potential this could be a really great deal... However, as things look now this does seem like quite the gamble. Hopefully it'll work out.

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote