HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Michel Goulet VS Luc Robitaille?

View Poll Results: Michel Goulet VS Luc Robitaille
Michel Goulet 4 28.57%
Luc Robitaille 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
JFA87-66-99

vCash: 500
Michel Goulet VS Luc Robitaille?

Goulet and Robitaille are arguably two of the greatest left wingers in history, at least going by statistics, but who was better and who would you take first if building a team? It seems they both had similar careers as both are in the top 5-6 range of all-time leaders for left wingers in Goals,Assists, and Points. Goulet has 5 all-star team selections to Robitaille's 8 selections and Robitaille also has a cup. I'd like to hear some thoughts on these 2 players?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
seventieslord

I like that Goulet was solid defensively and pretty physically involved, but Luc Robitaille has an offensive resume that outweighs all of that. He just had an amazing knack for going to the net, and knowing how to get open and score. Such a simple game but one that no one could ever seem to figure out.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
jkrx

I have fond memories of Robitaille in Detroit. He always stood up for the team and delivered what was expected of him and more. I watched him alot in his early days in LA too and he was insane. Goulet isnt far behind but Robitaille is the best.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Goulet and Robitaille are arguably two of the greatest left wingers in history, at least going by statistics
Arguably, based on career statistics, but neither are Top-10 really.

For example, just looking at peak years, Goulet was four times Top-5 in goals and Luc was twice Top-5 in goals; Ovechkin was five times Top-5 in goals.

Quote:
...who would you take first if building a team?
Well, as you know, neither of them are chosen among the Top-25 left wingers of all time in the All-Time Draft on the Hockey Board-spawned sub-board:
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

Bobby Hull, LW
Ted Lindsay, LW
Valeri Kharlamov, LW
Frank Mahovlich, LW
Dickie Moore, LW
Aurel Joliat, LW
Alex Ovechkin, LW
Anatoli Firsov, LW
Toe Blake, LW
Johnny Bucyk, LW
Busher Jackson, LW
Cy Denneny, LW
Doug Bentley, LW
Roy Conacher, LW

all have been and would be better value to a team

and this doesn't include all the multipositional talents like:

Frank Nighbor, LW/C
Joe Malone, LW/C
Sid Abel, C/LW
Alex Delvecchio, LW/C
Lionel Conacher, D/LW
Syd Howe, LW/C
Eddie Gerard, D/LW
Babe Siebert, D/LW

the only all-time greats whom Goulet or Robitaille might compare with are guys who bring specific skill sets, like

Brendan Shanahan, LW
Bill Barber, LW
Clark Gillies, LW
Bob Gainey, LW

it seems pretty clear that in an all-time context, both Goulet and Robitaille would be marginal 1st liners, quality 2nd line left wingers in, say, a 30-team league of hockey history's best

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:30 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Arguably, based on career statistics, but neither are Top-10 really.

For example, just looking at peak years, Goulet was four times Top-5 in goals and Luc was twice Top-5 in goals; Ovechkin was five times Top-5 in goals.
I'm suprised to see no mention of Goulet, as stated he finished twice in the top 5 goals and finished 3rd in points in 1983-1984. He also was a +62 that season. His overall game has to be given a little more credit. I'm not saying he is better than Robitaille thats why i made this poll. But it's obvious that Goulet was a superior defensive player and also had some very good offensive seasons.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

There are quite a few left wings that I would take over Goulet and Robitaille if we were just comparing peaks and pure impact on the game, and that's not even counting the guys that clearly are on another level (Hull, Moore, Lindsay, etc). Looking at all-star voting for left wing in Goulet's prime makes me cringe. John Ogrodnick was a first team all-star in 1985, and that says enough about competition at that position during the 1980's, a decade during which was dominated by Goulet and Robitaille. Not until Kevin Stevens and Brendan Shanahan came along around 1990 did the positional competition get better, and those two quickly surpassed Robitaille and an aging Goulet.

Kevin Stevens would probably have been considered the greatest left wing of his generation had he not fallen prey to drug abuse and fell apart at the age of 30. He was considered a superstar and was much more of an impact player than anyone else at his position, and even today, you have to go back almost 40 years to find the last left wing who was better than Stevens in the playoffs. Steve Shutt, maybe Bill Barber. But, the tragic truth is that he did fall off the wagon due to substance abuse, and the rest is history.

But between Goulet and Robitaille, I would take Robitaille. Goulet was a better all-around player than Luc, and was pretty good defensively, but his best seasons were during the early-to-mid 1980's, a 6-7 year period that probably ranks as the highest scoring half-decade in NHL history. Not to mention, a certain named Peter Stastny may have had aided Goulet's point totals during that period. Goulet did not age well and was injury-prone as he got older; he was nothing more than a 60-70 point player after the age of 28.

Robitaille was just a better offensive hockey player. He could score goals. It didn't matter who was his center or whether it was in the offensive era or the dead puck era. Luc Robitaille was going to give you at least 30-35 goals every season, and even more than that when he was younger. Unlike Goulet, he was a very effective player at an older age. Between age 32-34, a three year period from 1999-2001, at the peak of the dead puck era, Robitaille averaged 37 goals and almost 80 points. That says enough.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 05-11-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Canadiens1958

Sneaky Good Defensively

Quote:
I'm suprised to see no mention of Goulet, as stated he finished twice in the top 5 goals and finished 3rd in points in 1983-1984. He also was a +62 that season. His overall game has to be given a little more credit. I'm not saying he is better than Robitaille thats why i made this poll. But it's obvious that Goulet was a superior defensive player and also had some very good offensive seasons.
Goulet and Robitaille were sneaky good defensively. Both played their junior hockey in Quebec as defense slowly started to become a factor in the league. Both were very responsible in the NHL and would use superior body position to compensate, creating the impression that opportunities were there only to shut them down with a turnover. Goulet was a slightly better skater, earning a bit of an edge.

Robitaille had a slight edge offensively, better puck movement, less wasted effort. Both were deadly shooters.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
mco543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Kevin Stevens would probably have been considered the greatest left wing of his generation had he not fallen prey to drug abuse and fell apart at the age of 30. He was considered a superstar and was much more of an impact player than anyone else at his position, and even today, you have to go back almost 40 years to find the last left wing who was better than Stevens in the playoffs. Steve Shutt, maybe Bill Barber. But, the tragic truth is that he did fall off the wagon due to substance abuse, and the rest is history.
Kevin Stevens destroying his face had a lot to do with him falling off as a player.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Big Phil

Hmmm, close, good poll I see it's tied 4-4. I chose Goulet. Neither would ever be kicked off my team though

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:41 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

2 of my favourite left wingers of all-time, went with Robitaille.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote