HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginners and high-end sticks

Old
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
ryangib

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
I have coached, played, and watched alot of hockey in the 20 years (I'm 29 now) I have been envolved in the sport. My opinion on the matter is buy the best stuff you can with your budget. I don't always mean the latests and greatest but, the best quality equipment. I myself don't buy the stuff with the highest price tag because it has the highest price tag. Reputation, warrantee, performance, and comfort are the biggest components whether I am buying a hockey stick, a new car, or a lap dance from a hot ass stripper. Life is too short, enjoy the finer things in life because you can't take it with ya.

Dropp'in a little wisdom on you young guys.

amen

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
canuck44

I have a hard time understanding a lot of people around here. There's nothing wrong with buying good equipment (if you can afford it). Like with anyone else, you simply get what you pay for. Will beginners really be able to tell the difference? No. But I don't get why people are so judgmental about how others spend their money.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:23 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Hehehe. But like someone else said, avoid beginners should avoid pro stocks, to say the least.
I think it's more than beginners who should avoid pro stock sticks.

Old
05-11-2010, 10:47 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
I have a hard time understanding a lot of people around here. There's nothing wrong with buying good equipment (if you can afford it). Like with anyone else, you simply get what you pay for. Will beginners really be able to tell the difference? No. But I don't get why people are so judgmental about how others spend their money.
Because beginners who can barely skate can hardly expect to load a high-end stick while shooting, thus negating the reason that you buy a one-piece stick? I mean, damn, if they want to spend the $200 to buy a cool looking top end stick, all the power to them. They certainly won't feel the difference when they're at the top of the slot flicking the puck on goal.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Because beginners who can barely skate can hardly expect to load a high-end stick while shooting, thus negating the reason that you buy a one-piece stick? I mean, damn, if they want to spend the $200 to buy a cool looking top end stick, all the power to them. They certainly won't feel the difference when they're at the top of the slot flicking the puck on goal.
That's a nice summary. Beginners won't get the benefit of the stick, 99 times out of 100.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Heat McManus

One thing about lie for beginners: It's not a scientific number. Each company uses a different number. The indicated lie changes from brand to brand (and occasionally from stick to stick of the same model). A 4 Warrior is about a 5.5 Easton.

One of the advantages of going to a store and picking the stick out is you can feel the lie for yourself.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:40 AM
jagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post

+1

Just like cars. I don't race in the WRC, but why can't I own a Subaru Impreza STI?

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:59 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
+1

Just like cars. I don't race in the WRC, but why can't I own a Subaru Impreza STI?
The subaru WRC is pretty much a whole different car if you wont include the body and main parts of the engine .

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
jagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
The subaru WRC is pretty much a whole different car if you wont include the body and main parts of the engine .
True... but my point still stands

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't recommend it just because I don't think a beginner would get anything out of an expensive stick. For one, maybe they don't stick with the sport. Or it could break on a slash. And what if a beginner buys a 100 flex Drury and then figures out they should be using a 75 flex Iginla?

I won't hold it against beginners for having nice equipment though...some people do. Same thing with musical instruments...I've seen YouTube videos of people who can barely keep a beat playing a $4,000 drumset with $2,500 worth of cymbals. Yeah it makes me wince, and I do get a bit jealous because I'm a pretty damn good drummer (or at least was in my gigging days) and make do with a mid-level kit and can't afford the heads and cymbals I REALLY want...but what can you do.

If someone gets into hockey at 40 years old and has a nice income and wants to splurge, good for them. But my opinion is that your first set of gear (as a beginner) should be mid-level (except maybe the helmet and possibly skates) because you'll probably want something else as you develop tastes and preferences.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Main parts of the engine? More like the whole engine. WRC displacement is 2L, the STi has a 2.5L.

Old
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
canadaisthebesst

im a begginer and have a brand new dolomite spyne but only paid $80 for it my point being that how many of you saying that begginers shouldnt waste there money actually now if they paid full price for that high end stick

canadaisthebesst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipushmycar View Post
The way I see it, start off strong. Why spend 50 bucks on a beginner stick, only to want a $100 dollar stick 2 weeks later?
Problem is, I'll bet most beginners have no clue what they want/need. A $35 wood stick is a good way to transition into something with the kind of flex and curve you really want down the road. Keep the woody for the back yard and as a backup.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote