HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2010, 05:47 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Maybe "insane blue-line depth" wasn't exactly the best phrase to use, but assuming McDonagh is looking to play in the NHL right away upon leaving college, there are certainly several teams on which he'd have a much better shot at doing so than here. He would be fighting with at least two guys just to be the first call up from Hartford.
Since he's a non factor this season which is fine, no one knows what the status of Redden/Rozi/Gilroy/Girardi will be for 2011-12. All four might be gone. We'll see after July 1st who gets brought in and for how long.

I'm still hoping that Sangs and one of Kundratek/Valatenko make the team to start the season with all 3 seeing time this year and I think McD has the edge of just about anyone outside of those 3 excluding Pashnian but who knows if/when he'll come over.

Old
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Since he's a non factor this season which is fine, no one knows what the status of Redden/Rozi/Gilroy/Girardi will be for 2011-12. All four might be gone. We'll see after July 1st who gets brought in and for how long.

I'm still hoping that Sangs and one of Kundratek/Valatenko make the team to start the season with all 3 seeing time this year and I think McD has the edge of just about anyone outside of those 3 excluding Pashnian but who knows if/when he'll come over.
Kundratek couldn't stick in Hartford last year. I doubt he's ready for the NHL. Hopefully he's ready for the AHL now. If he ends up in the ECHL, it's a long shot that he'll ever be an NHL dman.

I'm not counting either Valentenko or Pashnin until they come over.

Old
05-12-2010, 09:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, TK is an EXTREME long shot to make the team. Frankly, I don't think he's even on the radar as a possibility at this point. I still like him as a prospect, but the chances of him making the NHL out of camp have to be close to zero.

It's just pain.
Old
05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, TK is an EXTREME long shot to make the team. Frankly, I don't think he's even on the radar as a possibility at this point. I still like him as a prospect, but the chances of him making the NHL out of camp have to be close to zero.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think he's a little older and wiser now and more physically mature (6 ft 2 and 220) and maybe he impresses. I know he was hurt a big chunk of this year but he has that AHL/KHL experience playing against grown men and he's not 19 anymore. Still, his team folded and he is a total FA, just get him over here already.

I know Kundratek couldn't stick in Hartford as the previous poster but who knows? He was too young. He played his overage year and did fine, now let him keep working out and getting better in the offseason and see what he has to offer in camp. If he's gonna contend for a spot it'll have to be for his hitting and D play and not his offensive prowess. I think he might be a little better than Gilroy or even Del Z defensively but let's see what he got.

Old
05-13-2010, 03:59 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. I think he's a little older and wiser now and more physically mature (6 ft 2 and 220) and maybe he impresses. I know he was hurt a big chunk of this year but he has that AHL/KHL experience playing against grown men and he's not 19 anymore. Still, his team folded and he is a total FA, just get him over here already.

I know Kundratek couldn't stick in Hartford as the previous poster but who knows? He was too young. He played his overage year and did fine, now let him keep working out and getting better in the offseason and see what he has to offer in camp. If he's gonna contend for a spot it'll have to be for his hitting and D play and not his offensive prowess. I think he might be a little better than Gilroy or even Del Z defensively but let's see what he got.
Maybe you have him mixed up with someone else. He doesn't have any KHL experience (being a young Czech) and has only played 1 AHL game so far. He's got very little chance of making the Rangers next year.

I like Valentenko's chances better but he missed practically all of last season with an injury and whether he's physcially capable of coming in and taking a spot at this point is very debateable. Best chances of young defenseman making it assuming Heikkinen is not returning are McDonagh if he signs and Sanguinetti and truthfully Sangs did not impress me all that much last year. Great start in Hartford--a callup and then he faded when he was sent back down.

Old
05-13-2010, 07:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

He played in the Czech Extraliga, which is borderline AHL quality. Not the KHL. And he has 1 game of actual AHL experience. He was also listed at 192lbs this season, so I'm not sure where you're getting 220lbs. He's not even close to that solid.

Anyway, he had a good--good, not great--overage season in the WHL. "Good, not great" overage defenseman making the jump into an NHL starting lineup, bypassing the AHL entirely? It's not going to happen.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I just hope Kundratek is ready to play in the A this year.

I just hope Valentenko chooses to play NA hockey again and can stay healthy.

Right now neither of these guys is a factor going into next year.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:47 AM
NYR Viper

Jeez it would be nice to have Valentenko, Kundratek, Sauer, McDonagh and Klassen all in the AHL this upcoming sesaon. I am thinking Sanguintti will make the NHL team.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He played in the Czech Extraliga, which is borderline AHL quality. Not the KHL. And he has 1 game of actual AHL experience. He was also listed at 192lbs this season, so I'm not sure where you're getting 220lbs. He's not even close to that solid.

Anyway, he had a good--good, not great--overage season in the WHL. "Good, not great" overage defenseman making the jump into an NHL starting lineup, bypassing the AHL entirely? It's not going to happen.
he might have been referring to valetenko.

Old
05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I saw TK as hartford bound next year. With all our potential D candidates, he doesnt strike me as the guy to look for.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:57 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
he might have been referring to valetenko.
LOL, yes the first paragraph was about Tank and the second one was about Kundratek. I can't post at work but I was waiting all day for someone to mention that.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:55 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...hould-you.html

Quote:
We like following Werek for a very simple reason; he is going to be a star for the Rangers if he can remain healthy. He may not be as fast as Kreider, not as good a passer as Stepan or as heavy a hitter as McDonagh is but what he might wind up turning out to be is the best overall prospect the Rangers have.
Best overall prospect we have? Better than Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, or Sangs? What do you guys think?

Old
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post

Best overall prospect we have? Better than Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, or Sangs? What do you guys think?
no, i dont even think it comes close. I think, on pure potential, Chris Kreider is without a doubt the best prospect we've had since Brian Leetch. I just think his combination of size, speed, skill, nose for the net and a hard shot with a quick release are almost unheard of. Guy has Gaborik like potential, but honestly I think he's already faster than Gaborik. Truth be told, I think Kreider could come into the NHL today, and I'm not sure if anyone would be as fast as him. With that said, this is all based on potential, more particularly, ceiling. Whether Kreider will ever achieve his unbelievable ceiling is the question, and it's probably in the "doubtful" range, simply because you so rarely see a player with those kinds of tools harness them all at the same time. I think Kreider also has some compete issues...well, not compete, but floating issues. He is a lot like Gaborik in that he floats, floats, and then wham hits the gas full speed and is gone. You'd like to see him more actively engaged. With his wheels, and more particularly with his size, he should be way more noticeable than he already is (which is still quite noticeable).

I think Werek is also well behind Stepan because of pure hockey sense. I'm a big fan of smart hockey players, i think hockey IQ is the single most underrated aspect of a hockey players repertoire. Honestly I would rather have a smart hockey player who has above average skills, than a dumb hockey player with elite skills (i'm talking to you Enver Lisin). Stepan still needs to work on his skating. I know Leslie called him an above average skater, but I disagree, I think at best you can call him an average skater, and I think he's also got some floating problems in his game as well, though, in his case it's probably just him reading the play on when to let up and when to go, whereas with Kreider I think he just sorta tries to pick his moments rather than make those moments happen if you get me.

I also rank Werek behind Grachev who also has a ridiculous combination of size, speed, and skill, though nowhere near the speed Kreider has, Grachev can definitely fly for a guy his size.

Werek is a nice prospect, but IMHO, I think he tops out as a 2nd line regular, and will likely be a 3rd line player if and when he makes it to the NHL.

Old
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Typical Jess...I think Werek is a 2nd line LW if he develops properly. But, both Kreider and Grachev are ahead of him at LW. And Stepan ranks higher due to position and hockey IQ.

I agree with Inferno about Kreider...he's the best chance this organization has at developing a legitimate 1st line talent.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Jess is smoking something good. Werek our best prospect? Not by a longshot. He's a good prospect, but we have a bunch who are better.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Jess is smoking something good. Werek our best prospect? Not by a longshot. He's a good prospect, but we have a bunch who are better.

LOL are you the Jimbo he is calling out in the comments section of that entry?

Old
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
LOL are you the Jimbo he is calling out in the comments section of that entry?
Haha, that's funny but unfortunately that is not me

I'm not a big fan of his work so I am not a member of his site.

Old
05-21-2010, 06:01 PM
LyNX27

The fact that Werek beat Hall is in a stickhandling competition... for starters there is clearly something that as a fan base, a lot of us are overlooking. That body with those tools and 2 30 goal seasons which could have potentiaslly been 40 goal seasons, and it looks like we have a real gem, not a dark horse but a player who has been flat out overlooked.

Old
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
The fact that Werek beat Hall is in a stickhandling competition... for starters there is clearly something that as a fan base, a lot of us are overlooking. That body with those tools and 2 30 goal seasons which could have potentiaslly been 40 goal seasons, and it looks like we have a real gem, not a dark horse but a player who has been flat out overlooked.
IMO that doesn't really say much. The real question is can he beat guy 1 on 1 with his stick handling skills in a game situation?

I know a bunch of guys that can do wonders with the puck when not going full speed or without a 200 pound guy coming toward them.

Old
05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I don't think he's been overlooked. He's a quality prospect. I happen to believe that he ranks behind both Kreider and Grachev on LW.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't think he's been overlooked. He's a quality prospect. I happen to believe that he ranks behind both Kreider and Grachev on LW.
LW is easily the organization's deepest position outside the big club. Which is why I think we need to draft forwards first and foremost, but all other things being equal, we should be looking C, RW, ....................LW.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:47 PM
NYR Viper

One of Grachev/Kreider/Werek will most likely play on the opposite side. If Werek were on a better team he would have replicated Grachev's numbers in the OHL. I know we are all in love with Evgeny's potential, Werek is about on par. There is a reason he was supposed to be a 1st rounder. Kreider + Werek may end up being 2 very good picks.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:48 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
LW is easily the organization's deepest position outside the big club. Which is why I think we need to draft forwards first and foremost, but all other things being equal, we should be looking C, RW, ....................LW.
Yup...Connolly, Tarasenko, Johansen, Burmistrov, Kuznetsov...plenty to choose from.

Old
05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I think Werek has real potential to be a 30G-30A guy in the NHL at his peak. He's not going to break Ovechkin's records, but there's no reason he won't be like a Graves or Franzen.

Very smart player and knows where to be to score and play defense plus a great attitude, leadership abilities, and outstanding work ethic.

Old
05-22-2010, 07:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The New York Rangers will likely change their AHL affiliation from the Hartford Wolfpack to the Rochester Americans beginning in the 2011-’12 season, a source close to the situation told Biz of Hockey.

This week, co-owner of the Rochester Americans Lewis Staats said the team will not extend its affiliation with the Florida Panthers past the 2010-’11 season, leaving the team a free agent. Rochester ownership made harsh comments this week concerning their relationship with the Panthers. Co-owner Curt Styres said he wants a partnership not a dictatorship, while Staats said the team’s best option is to search for a better affiliation.

According to the source, the Rangers, who reside approximately six hours from Rochester, are unhappy with their relationship with the Wolfpack and are very interested in becoming the parent club of the Americans.
http://bizofhockey.com/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=51

Closed Thread