HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Bay State Breakers Tier III

Old
05-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Bay State Breakers Tier III

Can anyone give me any information on this team...go or bad.
What is the league like? Is this league scouted? Just any opinion you might have or insight would be helpful.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Head coach

05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
They play in the Eastern Junior Hockey League which is the best junior league in the Northeast. They play teams like the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs, Boston Junior Bruins, and the New Jersey Hitmen. Players like Charlie Coyle (2010 eligble), Brian Dumoulin (Hurricanes 2nd rounder in 09), and Jeremy Morin (Kitchener Ranger, Atlanta 2nd round pick in 09) all played in this league. The League is heavily scouted by Division I schools.

Bay State is a middle of the pack team who made the playoffs of last season.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
They play in the Eastern Junior Hockey League which is the best junior league in the Northeast. They play teams like the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs, Boston Junior Bruins, and the New Jersey Hitmen. Players like Charlie Coyle (2010 eligble), Brian Dumoulin (Hurricanes 2nd rounder in 09), and Jeremy Morin (Kitchener Ranger, Atlanta 2nd round pick in 09) all played in this league. The League is heavily scouted by Division I schools.

Bay State is a middle of the pack team who made the playoffs of last season.
Perfect, this is what I am looking for. I have a friend who's grandson has been asked to play for this team by the head coach. However, because he is 16, the head coach say that they will place him on the "B" team.

I personally feel that the "B" team would be no more then a team with reserves. So if someone gets hurt, they call them up. Chances are really good that the "B" team will NOT be heavily scouted. What do you think? Sounds like you know what's going on in this league.

Thanks for the info!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

If he's on the B team he will be playing in the Empire Junior Hockey League which is a Tier III Junior B league. The Empire League is a feeder system to the EJHL. A lot of the 16 year olds and 17 year olds play in the Empire League because the EJHL is mostly a 18-20 year old league.

Yes the Empire is less scouted, but you son is 16 so he will have time to develop and hopefully move up the ranks. The Empire League plays a full season schedule with showcase tournaments.

Old
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
If he's on the B team he will be playing in the Empire Junior Hockey League which is a Tier III Junior B league. The Empire League is a feeder system to the EJHL. A lot of the 16 year olds and 17 year olds play in the Empire League because the EJHL is mostly a 18-20 year old league.

Yes the Empire is less scouted, but you son is 16 so he will have time to develop and hopefully move up the ranks. The Empire League plays a full season schedule with showcase tournaments.
I take it that this Empire Junior Hockey League is pretty competitive? How do they compair with other Tier III teams. I have a friend that runs a Junior A Team Tier III. Would this Empire league be at the same caliber say as the Western States Hockey League?

Thanks for your info.
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I take it that this Empire Junior Hockey League is pretty competitive? How do they compair with other Tier III teams. I have a friend that runs a Junior A Team Tier III. Would this Empire league be at the same caliber say as the Western States Hockey League?

Thanks for your info.
Head coach
I am unsure to be quite honest with you, about going up the WSHL, but the Empire is probably the best Tier III Junior B league in the country...With the teams I've mentioned in my first post, they all have great Empire teams also.

Old
05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
minorlife

Some teams in the Empire would crush WSHL teams. The EJHL is in my opinion better than the NAHL in many cases. They do an excellent job at keeping the local east coast kids on the east coast. Some EJ teams could compete in the USHL and probably make the playoffs.

minorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
sigx15

The empire league is both good and bad. If a player truly has the talent he can use it as a stepping stone but a lot of times players get in the league and just become another player in the league. He must excel to really move on and get the exposure he needs. The breakers are a middle of the pack team and to tell you the truth a lot of times players may be used to fill rosters but the upper teams do not develop a lot of players from their B teams rather scout from teams all over the country.

A good development program with upward mobility is the junior bruins. The breakers were a much better organization 10 years ago than they are today and still use their old reputation from then to attract players. That said if he can go there and dominate he will be fine.

sigx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx15 View Post
The empire league is both good and bad. If a player truly has the talent he can use it as a stepping stone but a lot of times players get in the league and just become another player in the league. He must excel to really move on and get the exposure he needs. The breakers are a middle of the pack team and to tell you the truth a lot of times players may be used to fill rosters but the upper teams do not develop a lot of players from their B teams rather scout from teams all over the country.

A good development program with upward mobility is the junior bruins. The breakers were a much better organization 10 years ago than they are today and still use their old reputation from then to attract players. That said if he can go there and dominate he will be fine.
I would also put the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs with good upward mobility also

Old
06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Edges7

Quote:
What is the league like? Is this league scouted? Just any opinion you might have or insight would be helpful.
Okay. I will hop into this one.

The Empire League has suffered in quality over the last two seasons as it receives an influx of T2 midget players looking for a full season of play. In the Northeast there are 5 main Jr. Leagues: Atlantic, Continental, Eastern, Empire and Metropolitan.

There is no question that the EJ is the superior league. They can compete with NAHL teams. The Atlantic is second and the drop off in quality while minor is noticeable - and while I would state that it's most noteable in the goaltending, size disparity of blueliners is STARK. EJ d's are HUGE. So, while both leagues showcase excellent skill and skaters and good physical play, the EJ has a distinct edge in all three.

Three years ago, the Empire was a league superior to Metropolitan. That is no longer the case and I'd say that the play at the elite level is at parity and at the mid and lower levels, the Met is superior.

The Continental is a bender league.

I give you this background so that you can put your question into context:

Bay State is an upper mid level program in both the Empire and EJ. My understanding is that Bay State did not have a good turn out this year and that the Empire team was not fully rostered comning out of tryouts. That could matter less than this: You need to find out if Bay State's Empire team feeds into the EJ team. My understanding is that they do but check it out for yourself. This is a STRONG selling point. The EJ is a league that has players.

That all said, your friend's grandson will be seen this year at various showcases and if he starts showing up on scoring sheets, the point will be made to see him as well. The days of "B hockey is not scouted" are over. The USHL is expanding. The NAHL is expanding. D1 hockey is expanding.

Last edited by Edges7: 06-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
oldtimescout

good program for jr a, often recruit for jr a, just watch you dont get lost in the jr b program

oldtimescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimescout View Post
good program for jr a, often recruit for jr a, just watch you dont get lost in the jr b program
Most EJ teams with Empire teams operate them as two separate organizations. You will get a good idea, as a player @ B, where you stand with the A team if the A coach takes an interest in you and invites you on the ice with the A team to practice. Usually, it's only one or two players a season.

EJ teams scout and recruit very heavily.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:06 PM
jgherbert57

Information need on the IJHL Junior A elite league /WSHL etc

My grandson has been asked to play for a number of teams Junior A to Junior B, in the IJHL-A, EJHL-B, NORPAC-A, WSHL-A, this is our first year looking at the offers and he is in the process of visting each team right now and rating everything from the coaching staff to facilities, etc., so that we can help him make the best choice so he can meet his goals.

He will be 17 in August and will be a senior this coming up year. We understand the tier structure USHL-1, NAHL-2 Then you have the rest, how do you see the IJHL-A? vs NORPAC-A VS WSHL-A Then we have 2 junior B team EJHL-b which is the MJHL any and help opions are welcome.

jgherbert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgherbert57 View Post
My grandson has been asked to play for a number of teams Junior A to Junior B, in the IJHL-A, EJHL-B, NORPAC-A, WSHL-A. Then we have 2 junior B team EJHL-b which is the MJHL any and help [opinions] are welcome.
Sir, it literally goes from team to team. You are doing the correct thing educating yourself. As trite as this may seem, with B level hockey you get a pretty good idea from the standings about the program. But even that has its pitfalls as you need to pay attention to birth years as well.

The biggest problem with an A/B organization is whether or not the program is integrated. Look at the hometowns of the A team and then the hometowns of the B team. If the A team is stacked with out of towners, that is a very good indication that the B team is not a feeder. If the intent is to get into a program that your grandson can go from B to A in a season then you want to avoid those programs.

It's obvious that you are in the NE in the Boston area. Walpole is a very good organization. The Jr B's are a very good organization.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
jgherbert57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Sir, it literally goes from team to team. You are doing the correct thing educating yourself. As trite as this may seem, with B level hockey you get a pretty good idea from the standings about the program. But even that has its pitfalls as you need to pay attention to birth years as well.

The biggest problem with an A/B organization is whether or not the program is integrated. Look at the hometowns of the A team and then the hometowns of the B team. If the A team is stacked with out of towners, that is a very good indication that the B team is not a feeder. If the intent is to get into a program that your grandson can go from B to A in a season then you want to avoid those programs.

It's obvious that you are in the NE in the Boston area. Walpole is a very good organization. The Jr B's are a very good organization.
Edges7, Thanks for the information. We are coming out of Dallas Texas, he has gotten a lot of offers from all over. My grandson has done a lot of research, and we have spoken to all the coaches, now we are taken that long road to vist these areas NORPAC - River City Jaguars, NORPAC - Eugene Generals, WSHL - Arizona Redhawks, MJHL - Florida JR blades, EJHL - Bay state Breakers, IJHL - South Jersey Raptors, and one team from the NAHL now. We will pass this year on the NAHL however the goals is to get him into a Junior A program for one year and then possibly move up once he finishes high school next year. He has been asked to play for several U18 tier 1 AAA teams here in Dallas the issue is we do not get a lot of scotting down here in the South.

jgherbert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Edges7

Well...my opinion is that if he is going to be a first or second liner on any of those teams they should be at the top of the list. Then eliminate from bottom to top. My further advice is that if he is capable of playing on the second line in the NA don't hold him back.

PS: I'd choose most of your Junior options over Midget. Frankly, if you're not Chicago based Midget, it's not going to help you.

Last edited by Edges7: 06-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 08:14 PM
CoachBri21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Thanks for your help in advance.
Head coach

Like people have said previously BSB is a middle of the road team in both the empire and the EJ leagues. Both leagues are probably the best in the northeast as far as tier III goes and possibly the best tier III A and B leagues IMO. I will be entering my first season as an assistant in the Empire league but spent the past 2 years involved in the EJHL. The EJ is heavily scouted, especially up in Mass where the Breakers are located, and is primarily scouted by teams from the northeast. The empire league is scouted but I havent seen it happen as often at regular games. You are more likely to see scouts at showcases. If you have a chance to play in the Empire league and move up do it. Strive to be the best and you will move up to the EJHL and succeed with where you want to go in hockey.

CoachBri21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
LcandCompAlum91

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorlife View Post
Some teams in the Empire would crush WSHL teams. The EJHL is in my opinion better than the NAHL in many cases. They do an excellent job at keeping the local east coast kids on the east coast. Some EJ teams could compete in the USHL and probably make the playoffs.
I would not agree that its better than nahl. The monarchs and the hitmen are the only teams that could compete against "SOME" nahl teams. Plus parents dont have to pay for anything in the nahl except billeting. Unless if a kid is on those two teams or south shore, hes going d3. There are exceptions, especially if you have an agent or any political or money power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgherbert57 View Post
My grandson has been asked to play for a number of teams Junior A to Junior B, in the IJHL-A, EJHL-B, NORPAC-A, WSHL-A, this is our first year looking at the offers and he is in the process of visting each team right now and rating everything from the coaching staff to facilities, etc., so that we can help him make the best choice so he can meet his goals.

He will be 17 in August and will be a senior this coming up year. We understand the tier structure USHL-1, NAHL-2 Then you have the rest, how do you see the IJHL-A? vs NORPAC-A VS WSHL-A Then we have 2 junior B team EJHL-b which is the MJHL any and help opions are welcome.
If he is getting offers from his aaa u18 team is dallas, go there. I left to early to go play juniors in the opjhl instead of play aaa for compuware when I was 17 and most of my teammates who were on that team, are now in the ushl.

The ijhl is garbage stay away.

If your grandson is REALLY getting offers from the aaa teams such as the stars or the attack or the alliance bulldogs, then you are def in the clear and i would stay with them.

Norpac is not amazingly specatcular and nither is the aj or the wshl. Keep him in aaa and see what happens at the end of the year.

When he is on the aaa team, get as close to the coach as you can. Pay him if you have to. Its a dog eat dog world and you must do anything you can to get ahead.

If it is the NAPHL AAA TORNADOS that hes has offers from stay away. Its way too much money and even though i was a member of team maryland last year, the naphl was a average leauge. Nothing compared to the mwehl or the tier 1 leauge that its being called now.

Get an agent IMMIDIATELY. Anyone that gets anywhere has the coach on his side calling teams for him, is paying the coach to get it done, and has an agent who is looking at jr a teams for him.

If I knew back then what I knew today, I would def be in a better spot than i am now.

LcandCompAlum91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Tier1hockeyny

Get an agent IMMIDIATELY. Anyone that gets anywhere has the coach on his side calling teams for him, is paying the coach to get it done, and has an agent who is looking at jr a teams for him.

Do you have the name of some agents to contact?

Tier1hockeyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Honu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post
I would not agree that its better than nahl. The monarchs and the hitmen are the only teams that could compete against "SOME" nahl teams. Plus parents dont have to pay for anything in the nahl except billeting. Unless if a kid is on those two teams or south shore, hes going d3. There are exceptions, especially if you have an agent or any political or money power.
The Junior Bruins got a few D1 commitments as well.

Hockey East schools generally grab players from the USHL and EJHL. Very rarely will an NAHL player come east.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote