HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group D • 05/12/10 • Finland 3, United States 2

View Poll Results: Who wins?
FIN 28 66.67%
USA 14 33.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Forsbergwannabe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
Ok thks, yr team showed a very good performance at this WHC congratulations for Qualification round but I think they will not yet reach the quarterfinal. Belarus they can may be beat but I think Russia and Slovakia will be too strong.

As far as I understand we dont have to beat those 2 teams, if we beat Belarus in regulation and then Germany fail to win in regulation vs Belarus, since 4 teams advance to the Quarterfinal.
All this is assuming Slovakia and Russia wins vs both teams mentioned.
Not sure if Germany holds the tie breaker due to their win over us in the last round?

Standings should be like this currently right?

Russia 6 points
Slovakia, Denmark, Finland and Germany 3 points.
Belarus 0 points.

Old
05-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbergwannabe View Post
As far as I understand we dont have to beat those 2 teams, if we beat Belarus in regulation and then Germany fail to win in regulation vs Belarus, since 4 teams advance to the Quarterfinal.
Not sure if Germany holds the tie breaker due to their win over us in the last round?
Yes they do. Head to head results break ties between 2 teams.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbergwannabe View Post

Standings should be like this currently right?

Russia 6 points
Slovakia, Denmark, Finland and Germany 3 points.
Belarus 0 points.
You could be right but I don't think that Germany doesn't win against Belarus in regular time. In my opinion Russia is for sure for the quarterfinal in this group and Beloruss will have no chance.

So are fighting Slovakia, Denmark, Finland and Germany for the quarterfinal and 1 of these teams will not reach it. If Finland loses against Slovakia - what I hope will not happen - you don't need to beat Slovakia this is true. But should Finland win against Slovakia then I think yr team will have to beat them because Denmark lost against Germany.

Last edited by Finnswiss: 05-13-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Depends on what kind of players you pick from the NHL too. A lot of these euro league players are creative playmakers and many have decisive roles on their teams. The US squad was essentially a bunch of grinders. Dunno what the people responsible for assembling that team were thinking.
No one on the Finnish team is known for their creativity except for Nummelin and occasionally Jussi Jokinen. Well, OK, Vatanen's been playing great too for his age. Rest of them are just (mostly) diligent workers, some with great wheels, some with a more physical approach to the game. The personal skill level as far as shooting or puck handling goes is at an all time low for team Finland though. I also can't understand why the coaching staff hasn't been able to adjust to modern defensive schemes by now.

It still baffles me what #20, #21 and #50 are doing on the team. Gotta love the effort by Korpedo and Pihlström though. And it was nice to see Komarov get under the opponents' skin so well.

Old
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Stanleyjub

here are the goals from the match:

as you can maybe hear, it is in finnish

Old
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Forsbergwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
You could be right but I don't think that Germany doesn't win against Belarus in regular time. In my opinion Russia is for sure for the quarterfinal in this group and Beloruss will have no chance.

So are fighting Slovakia, Denmark, Finland and Germany for the quarterfinal and 1 of these teams will not reach it. If Finland loses against Slovakia - what I hope will not happen - you don't need to beat Slovakia this is true. But should Finland win against Slovakia then I think yr team will have to beat them because Denmark lost against Germany.
Ah good point I hadn't even considered that Finland could end up missing the quarter finals, but it does call for an interesting a group .

Old
05-13-2010, 02:58 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyjub View Post
here are the goals from the match:

as you can maybe hear, it is in finnish
It is ridiculous that Komarov plays in the KHL. He should've been in the NHL a couple of years ago already. BUILT for the NHL.

Closed Thread