HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs or Flyers vs. Sharks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
  #26
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
anybody but the Flyers - I hate them
Because their physical?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:22 PM
  #27
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Because their physical?
I don't know anything about their medical check-ups

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
  #28
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I don't know anything about their medical check-ups
HAH, dammit, I was hoping to start an argument. .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
  #29
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Blake could win 12 cups. He could clone himself and win a cup as a team full of dobbleganger Blakes, none of it would change how he treated LA in 02 (or was it 00?... Its early) or how he played his second time around. Its not like his detractors ever claimed he was a bad player, only that he sucked his last two years here, ripped off the C in unceremonious fashion and refused to accept a deadline trade to the team he signed with anyways. San Jose winning the cup does nothing to de-douchify the Flake.

It would be funny though if Cammy won the Cup. Not because of the people who have bashed Cammy, but rather because it would be amusing to watch his uber-supporters act like it was all Cammy's doing and not give the rest of the Habs credit. Guys like Gomez, Gionta, Halak, Moen and Gil who have played a monumental role in getting the Habs this far.
GTFOH! only a fool would believe that someone that plays 20 mins a game won the Cup all on his own That he was a part of a winning team is enough for some of us especially when a lot said that a player like him doesn't help or is never a part of a winning team (a mercenary). that whole team has played great and Subban is a treat to watch.

Hawks vs Habs!!!

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
  #30
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
GTFOH! only a fool would believe that someone that plays 20 mins a game won the Cup all on his own That he was a part of a winning team is enough for some of us especially when a lot said that a player like him doesn't help or is never a part of a winning team (a mercenary). that whole team has played great and Subban is a treat to watch.

Hawks vs Habs!!!
Congrats man, I think this may be the longest run on sentence ever! The only reason I say this is because I have the same problem.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
  #31
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I still don't see the Subban love outside of speed. I've seen him get caught out of position more than create good chances.

I refuse to credit him for Fleury giving up a stupidly awful goal.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
  #32
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Congrats man, I think this may be the longest run on sentence ever! The only reason I say this is because I have the same problem.
the smiley was a period, see the capital letter after it? =)

About Subban he isn't on Drew's level or anything but his skating and passing is good. For him to jump into the playoffs with no NHL experience and play the way he has is impressive. I don't know how he would do over the long haul of an NHL season but i see no reason to believe he can't keep it up.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
  #33
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
the smiley was a period, see the capital letter after it? =)

About Subban he isn't on Drew's level or anything but his skating and passing is good. For him to jump into the playoffs with no NHL experience and play the way he has is impressive. I don't know how he would do over the long haul of an NHL season but i see no reason to believe he can't keep it up.

Ah. Dumbass. Me.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
  #34
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Ah. Dumbass. Me.
Agreed.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
  #35
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Agreed.
You win!

Edit: Too funny!

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
  #36
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Blake could win 12 cups. He could clone himself and win a cup as a team full of dobbleganger Blakes, none of it would change how he treated LA in 02 (or was it 00?... Its early) or how he played his second time around. Its not like his detractors ever claimed he was a bad player, only that he sucked his last two years here, ripped off the C in unceremonious fashion and refused to accept a deadline trade to the team he signed with anyways. San Jose winning the cup does nothing to de-douchify the Flake.
... LOL. This should be posted on Snopes as the definition of "urban legend". I find it curious that it's just A-OK for Lombardi to trade guys the day before their NTC kicks in (like Visnovsky), yet Blake is a ****** for not waiving his NTC and taking advantage of the concessions he earned through negotiation. It's OK for the GM to exercise his rights, but not the player? As for how Blake played in his second stint here ... well, he led the Kings in ice time while surrounded by a mostly ****** team and in front of poor goalies. Did you expect all-star level results?

As for what went down 2000-01, and the whole ripping off of the C -- it's pointless to go over it a decade later, and the fact of the matter is that the C was pulled off a day after Kings threatened to trade Blake if he didn't accept the team's terms. The Kings didn't even negotiate with Blake; they kept the same figure they initially had in training camp and didn't bother to make any concessions until the season was more than half over and Blake had already said he was done talking about it. The Kings said Blake would 100% test free agency, and he of course didn't.

What I find interesting about all of it was that the ONLY people bitter at Blake were (and are) misinformed Kings' fans. Not his teammates, or ex-teammates, or coaches, or executives -- no one but a group of bitter fans of a losing team who felt the need to boo someone. I always found that telling. And if Blake DOES win the Cup while wearing the C, the bitterness toward him will be that much easier to dismiss as sour grapes and ungratefulness. He's a leader and a winner, he was a big part of the best success the Kings' franchise ever had, and when he was let go he found success elsewhere as well. The facts fly in the face of your bitterness, but hey -- by all means have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
It would be funny though if Cammy won the Cup. Not because of the people who have bashed Cammy, but rather because it would be amusing to watch his uber-supporters act like it was all Cammy's doing and not give the rest of the Habs credit. Guys like Gomez, Gionta, Halak, Moen and Gil who have played a monumental role in getting the Habs this far.
... No one has ever said it was all Cammy's doing, nice try though; everyone's given Halak credit for being the MVP for Montreal in these playoffs. We've merely said Cammalleri has been a key factor in their success, which he absolutely has. Not bad for a guy who wasn't wanted here.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
  #37
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Blake could win 12 cups. He could clone himself and win a cup as a team full of dobbleganger Blakes, none of it would change how he treated LA in 02 (or was it 00?... Its early) or how he played his second time around. Its not like his detractors ever claimed he was a bad player, only that he sucked his last two years here, ripped off the C in unceremonious fashion and refused to accept a deadline trade to the team he signed with anyways. San Jose winning the cup does nothing to de-douchify the Flake.

It would be funny though if Cammy won the Cup. Not because of the people who have bashed Cammy, but rather because it would be amusing to watch his uber-supporters act like it was all Cammy's doing and not give the rest of the Habs credit. Guys like Gomez, Gionta, Halak, Moen and Gil who have played a monumental role in getting the Habs this far.
JDM does it again. I am soooooooooo worried though about either one of those two winning the cup that it keeps me up at night.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
  #38
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Why is it that the Blackhawks have literally the worst section on this board as far as number of posters? Seriously. . . they're are more Florida posters in their section than in the Chicago section. . . No one has interwebs up der?

Quality over Quantity maybe?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
  #39
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... LOL. This should be posted on Snopes as the definition of "urban legend". I find it curious that it's just A-OK for Lombardi to trade guys the day before their NTC kicks in (like Visnovsky), yet Blake is a ****** for not waiving his NTC and taking advantage of the concessions he earned through negotiation. It's OK for the GM to exercise his rights, but not the player? As for how Blake played in his second stint here ... well, he led the Kings in ice time while surrounded by a mostly ****** team and in front of poor goalies. Did you expect all-star level results?

As for what went down 2000-01, and the whole ripping off of the C -- it's pointless to go over it a decade later, and the fact of the matter is that the C was pulled off a day after Kings threatened to trade Blake if he didn't accept the team's terms. The Kings didn't even negotiate with Blake; they kept the same figure they initially had in training camp and didn't bother to make any concessions until the season was more than half over and Blake had already said he was done talking about it. The Kings said Blake would 100% test free agency, and he of course didn't.

What I find interesting about all of it was that the ONLY people bitter at Blake were (and are) misinformed Kings' fans. Not his teammates, or ex-teammates, or coaches, or executives -- no one but a group of bitter fans of a losing team who felt the need to boo someone. I always found that telling. And if Blake DOES win the Cup while wearing the C, the bitterness toward him will be that much easier to dismiss as sour grapes and ungratefulness. He's a leader and a winner, he was a big part of the best success the Kings' franchise ever had, and when he was let go he found success elsewhere as well. The facts fly in the face of your bitterness, but hey -- by all means have fun with it.



... No one has ever said it was all Cammy's doing, nice try though; everyone's given Halak credit for being the MVP for Montreal in these playoffs. We've merely said Cammalleri has been a key factor in their success, which he absolutely has. Not bad for a guy who wasn't wanted here.
thanks for your accounts on the Blake situation. it was around the time when i became a fan and every thing i read on the subject was Flake this, Flake that. now my only reason for not liking him is his lopsided head and the fact that he signed with a club he declined a trade to months before. i know it was his right to do so but it gave me the impression that he would sign another contract with us. Did we attempt to re-sign him that offseason?

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
  #40
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Didn't the Kings offer him 3-4 Mil?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
  #41
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
thanks for your accounts on the Blake situation. it was around the time when i became a fan and every thing i read on the subject was Flake this, Flake that. now my only reason for not liking him is his lopsided head and the fact that he signed with a club he declined a trade to months before. i know it was his right to do so but it gave me the impression that he would sign another contract with us. Did we attempt to re-sign him that offseason?
The story was that Lombardi said to Blake something along the lines of "hold on, we will offer you a contract, but want you to take a slightly smaller role on the team, since we are about to rebuild the whole damn thing." Blake didn't like that, so immediately signed with SJ, saying that DL never offered him a contract, which is technically true, but a little misleading since DL would have offered him a contract in the coming week had Blake not bolted to SJ straight away.

How you can not be a little upset at Blake confounds me.

Once again, I am a KINGS fan. Not a Blake fan. Not a Cammy fan. Not a Kopitar fan. Not a Doughty fan. There is no individual player who takes precedence to the Kings for me.

Now Blake was homegrown. He was our Luc on defense. Luc managed to get traded, leave via FA, and still come back and endear himself to the fans, always giving it his all.

Its not just a farce that makes Kings' fans mad at Blake.

In 00-01, Blake demanded to be paid like Chris Pronger. That was it. He basically said "make me the highest paid defenseman in the league or I walk."

At the time, Dave Taylor was still hamstrung by ownership, and couldn't/wouldn't offer him such a raise. I believe I remember that they offered him a contract that would make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid dman in the league, but Blake insisted he be the highest paid.

He never treated the LA franchise the way Luc did, the way we all wanted him to.

Luc cared about himself for sure. Everyone does. Luc wanted his cup, so he went and got it. But he always made it clear where his heart was. Blake never gave such an impression. He gave the impression of "thanks for nothing Kings, but money is #1"

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:42 PM
  #42
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The story was that Lombardi said to Blake something along the lines of "hold on, we will offer you a contract, but want you to take a slightly smaller role on the team, since we are about to rebuild the whole damn thing." Blake didn't like that, so immediately signed with SJ, saying that DL never offered him a contract, which is technically true, but a little misleading since DL would have offered him a contract in the coming week had Blake not bolted to SJ straight away.
... LMAO. He HAD AN OFFER from the Sharks at the time. He was willing to sign with the Kings for a million per season less; willing to take a hometown discount. Lombardi says, "yeah, let me get back to you on that." What would you expect Blake to do, JDM? Just wait around until the Sharks pull their offer off the table? Wait until Lombardi feels like doing his job as a GM and making a decision? Time was of the essence. It wasn't a trick question -- either the GM wants the player or he doesn't want the player. Are you honestly expecting me to believe that Lombardi had no idea what his payroll was going to look like in the coming year? That he or his assistants hadn't drawn up a few preliminary budgets beforehand? I was born at night, but not last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Once again, I am a KINGS fan. Not a Blake fan. Not a Cammy fan. Not a Kopitar fan. Not a Doughty fan. There is no individual player who takes precedence to the Kings for me.
... I'm a Kings fan, too. The Kings are made up of players. The players make the money for the team based on their skill and their effort. Without the players, there is no team and there is no game. I don't come to the rink to see Dean Lombardi or Tim Leiweke. I go there to see the players play the game. You may say that no player takes precedence over the Kings. Well, no GM takes precedence over the Kings, either. Just as the players are accountable, so is the GM.

And furthermore, we're not talking about some rookie involved here; some guy just called up from the minors. We're talking about the captain of the team at the time. He's willing to take less than market value to stay with the team, and to show his appreciation for that, the GM says "I'll get back to you"? And yet, the player's at fault here? What kind of stupid-ass logic is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Its not just a farce that makes Kings' fans mad at Blake.
... Actually, it is. A couple of farces, like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
In 00-01, Blake demanded to be paid like Chris Pronger. That was it. He basically said "make me the highest paid defenseman in the league or I walk."

At the time, Dave Taylor was still hamstrung by ownership, and couldn't/wouldn't offer him such a raise. I believe I remember that they offered him a contract that would make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid dman in the league, but Blake insisted he be the highest paid.
... This is fiction. Blake never said anything like that. He was willing to take less than Pronger took, but he wanted to be in that ballpark. He had every right to ask that. Arguably, he was the most valuable defenseman in the league at the time, and he was certainly the best player on the team. The Kings didn't even bother to negotiate; their offer was over $2 million less than Pronger's deal per season and they didn't change it until after the midway point of the season, and after Blake had said publicly that his side was through talking about it. After Blake was traded, Dave Taylor said that Blake "was intent on testing free agency", probably as a way to save his ass -- and of course that didn't happen, did it? Again, the premise that Blake is any more about the money than Robitaille or anyone else the Kings have had is flawed and misguided. But, as I said, by all means -- do what makes you happy. If hating certain players is your thing, have fun.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:55 PM
  #43
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
JT, did you ever hear Bob Miller's take on the Rob Blake situation? He spoke of it on the air after the trade

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:20 PM
  #44
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... LMAO. He HAD AN OFFER from the Sharks at the time. He was willing to sign with the Kings for a million per season less; willing to take a hometown discount. Lombardi says, "yeah, let me get back to you on that." What would you expect Blake to do, JDM? Just wait around until the Sharks pull their offer off the table? Wait until Lombardi feels like doing his job as a GM and making a decision? Time was of the essence. It wasn't a trick question -- either the GM wants the player or he doesn't want the player. Are you honestly expecting me to believe that Lombardi had no idea what his payroll was going to look like in the coming year? That he or his assistants hadn't drawn up a few preliminary budgets beforehand? I was born at night, but not last night.



... I'm a Kings fan, too. The Kings are made up of players. The players make the money for the team based on their skill and their effort. Without the players, there is no team and there is no game. I don't come to the rink to see Dean Lombardi or Tim Leiweke. I go there to see the players play the game. You may say that no player takes precedence over the Kings. Well, no GM takes precedence over the Kings, either. Just as the players are accountable, so is the GM.

And furthermore, we're not talking about some rookie involved here; some guy just called up from the minors. We're talking about the captain of the team at the time. He's willing to take less than market value to stay with the team, and to show his appreciation for that, the GM says "I'll get back to you"? And yet, the player's at fault here? What kind of stupid-ass logic is that?



... Actually, it is. A couple of farces, like this one:



... This is fiction. Blake never said anything like that. He was willing to take less than Pronger took, but he wanted to be in that ballpark. He had every right to ask that. Arguably, he was the most valuable defenseman in the league at the time, and he was certainly the best player on the team. The Kings didn't even bother to negotiate; their offer was over $2 million less than Pronger's deal per season and they didn't change it until after the midway point of the season, and after Blake had said publicly that his side was through talking about it. After Blake was traded, Dave Taylor said that Blake "was intent on testing free agency", probably as a way to save his ass -- and of course that didn't happen, did it? Again, the premise that Blake is any more about the money than Robitaille or anyone else the Kings have had is flawed and misguided. But, as I said, by all means -- do what makes you happy. If hating certain players is your thing, have fun.
I agree with a lot of what you've said because bottom line was Blake was pretty much left on the back burner.

Now, Having said that, Blake would have hit a grand slam with me, if he would have came back for another year for a league minimum or something close. Why, would he, you may ask? Because he was overpaid for the 2 yrs that he was here. And if he would have shown that he was more about the organization (an organization he wanted to be part of after retiring from hockey) and not just money, I think he could have been an asset here. And as prior poster mentioned above, he didn't want to waive his NTC to go to SJ at the trade deadline, but he had no problem leaving for SJ leaving kings with nothing in return. To me, that was a bit of a slap in the face.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:34 PM
  #45
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
I really don't think Lombardi wanted Blake back at all, and that was just fine with me.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.