HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre McGuire sounds bitter

Old
05-13-2010, 05:06 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire sounds bitter

He seems happy for the city and fans, though when asked about the team itself there always seems to be a " but ".

For example, it's great, the science experiment is working right now, BUT __________

1. Nobody expected Halak to play like this
2. Regular season struggles
3. etc..

My point is, why can't he ever say " wow, I was wrong ... this team is making me look stupid LOL "

I know he wanted the GM job, but I'm shocked that he acts so obviously envious ..

He'd also be a lot more likable if he took the stick out of his ass and admitted to error once in a while....

Hey Pierre, your head is shinier than a baby's but... Stop taking yourself so seriously!!

Sorry, just felt like getting this off my chest

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

**** Pierre Mcguire, I have nothing against him,but were in the ECF BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Still, **** Pierre Mcguire.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:20 PM
pine

vCash: 50
time for a protest?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Guys...

He is just anti-jinxing.

Stop *****ing.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Well, the fact that he's a public personality means his GM interview is a 24 hour gig. Teams don't want a guy who's wrong after a season. They want a guy who maybe didn't expect something, but if he just said "I was wrong", then why would he be right about his own team?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL View Post
time for a protest?
Tank the series!!!

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL View Post
time for a protest?
The best anti-jinx in all of history

* bowing

Thank you thank you!

Old
05-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Lucius

Come on. Only the most deluded of us Habs fan actually expected this....

...and those who did are completely delusional

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
He seems happy for the city and fans, though when asked about the team itself there always seems to be a " but ".

For example, it's great, the science experiment is working right now, BUT __________

3. etc..

My point is, why can't he ever say " wow, I was wrong ... this team is making me look stupid LOL "

I know he wanted the GM job, but I'm shocked that he acts so obviously envious ..

He'd also be a lot more likable if he took the stick out of his ass and admitted to error once in a while....

Hey Pierre, your head is shinier than a baby's but... Stop taking yourself so seriously!!

That idiot was the biggest critic of Bob's offseason....oh and a bunch of you idiots too!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Right now, he is about as qualified for an NHL job as Jacques Demers. They're both in broadcasting and both have been out of the NHL since the 90's. Yes Demers is older, but he was much more successful, so that would balance any of the age bias out.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
BLONG7

I get a real kick out of idiots like this, it just goes to show you, they know as much as we do, yet they are paid to do their prediction shows at the start of the season....picked for out of the playoffs, too small, too soft blah blah blah....the pundits know squat...Mcguire is a monster idiot...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Huh? Just listened to the whole thing. Pierre McGuire is the biggest Habs fan in the world--as far as analysts are concerned--He just happens to be extremely unbiased in how he speaks about players and teams in general. If you want to hear a guy jump up and down praising Gainey and the team, listen to Marinaro and Co. McGuire doesn't need to admit he's wrong because he isn't. This team was a science experiment. We didn't have a good regular season. This is a big surprise. The team is gelling at the right moment, buying into the system, etc.,. No one could have predicted that so much would go so right for us on this playoff run...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Well, the fact that he's a public personality means his GM interview is a 24 hour gig. Teams don't want a guy who's wrong after a season. They want a guy who maybe didn't expect something, but if he just said "I was wrong", then why would he be right about his own team?
Because no GM has the same path and direction .. just because it works out one way that he would have not done, doesn't make what he would of done wrong

Old
05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
le_sean

Yeah he was on the Team 1200 in the morning in Ottawa and he sounded very reluctant to get on the bandwagon. Pretty much states the only reason the Habs are this far is because of Halak. While that is clearly true, he brushed aside the idea that Martin outcoached Bylsma, which I think is pretty obvious.

This is old time playoff hockey. Great defence, great goaltending and timely goals. I do not think you can pin it to just one player. Almost double the blocked shots than any other team? Crosby going from 14 points to 5? Ovechkin pretty much a non-factor the last 3 games? Yes Halak has a lot to do with this, but there are other factors too.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Huh? Just listened to the whole thing. Pierre McGuire is the biggest Habs fan in the world--as far as analysts are concerned--He just happens to be extremely unbiased in how he speaks about players and teams in general. If you want to hear a guy jump up and down praising Gainey and the team, listen to Marinaro and Co. McGuire doesn't need to admit he's wrong because he isn't. This team was a science experiment. We didn't have a good regular season. This is a big surprise. The team is gelling at the right moment, buying into the system, etc.,. No one could have predicted that so much would go so right for us on this playoff run...
Good post.

Marinaro is bandwagon jumper. How can we forget that this very season, the man came up with his own rebuilding plan and wanted to blow everything up. Did anyone hear any admission of guilt? I hope so cuz this guy was pouring it on daily.

I also echo the sentiment that Mcguire is not wrong. I just don't think he was able to express himself properly.

It WAS a science experiment. There ARE better ways, less goalie-dependant systems, to win hockey games. He admits that this WAS a successful season but he's also right in saying its not truly sustainable. So it was a science experiment that produced beautiful fireworks but might leave a terrible smell.

That said, having seen what the team can do and having studied its strength and deficiencies, Gauthier is now in a much better position to improve the team going forward. It just so happens that his team is winning, any way they can, during this assessment period. McGuire fails to mention this possibility of improvement and got caught tiptoeing the line between being excited for the team and giving a word of caution. Cuz seriously, how can anyone say anything bad about the team after everything they've accomplished?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
**** Pierre Mcguire, I have nothing against him,but were in the ECF BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Still, **** Pierre Mcguire.
No thanks! He ain't my type or sex but you can $%^# Pierre McGuire, if you wish.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Habarazzi

Wouldn't it be great if Bob Gainey interviewed for the Tampa job

and Got it! ....... over McGuire

that would be priceless!! (no pun intended)

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Newhabfan

If there is one thing annoying with Pierre McGuire is that he is always praising everyone in the NHL. Players, GMs, coaches, TV anchors, doctors, equipment managers - he keeps saying nice things about absolutely everyone, knowing probably that he might need them to help him at some point.

Everyone except 2 persons. Bob Gainey and Jacques Martin. The amount of criticism he brought to these two was incredible. The only explanation I have is that he wanted (or wants) their jobs and was dissapointed not to have been considered (he was equally critical of Therrien at some point though to be honest - same reasons probably.

Melnick kept rerunning all season long a quote from McGuire where he blasts the "failing rope-a-dope system" that JM is trying to set while in fact he should let his attackers attack and encourage them.

Guess what ? The "rope-a-dope" system actually worked beautifully. It's hard to admit you were wrong all year.

Also - his emotional ties to Pittsburgh are way stronger than with the Habs.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Come on. Only the most deluded of us Habs fan actually expected this....

...and those who did are completely delusional
Exactly. If somebody says the were expecting a knockout of Washington and Pittsburgh after backing into the playoffs getting a Loss point from Toronto. Serioulsy. who is kidding who

Frankly I'm on the ride and enjoying it a lot. But no way will I say I expected this. every fan hopes, but hey . . . .

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Well McGuire can't say he was wrong in his perception because you can't say that Gainey was right for having chosen this team as I still think for whatever reasons all the stars alligned to create what is happening here. Remember Gainey wanted to trade Halak and he's become God-like. I think if there was a clear move made by Bob wich he knew needed to be made was hiring Jacques Martin and Martin accomplished what Bob wanted. And that may be the thing that McGuire got wrong. But the rest is surprises after surprises.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Pascal

here's to Pierre:

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:27 PM
pt_mck

Pierre McGuire will NEVER admit that he was wrong about something.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Garo

Is he an expert?

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

3. etc..

didn't hear the interview... but can't really see what your gripe is...

did anyone expect Halak to be THIS good? and had he been even a little bit below (say .920 vs .930 sv %), we'd have been golfing weeks ago.

we did struggle in the regular season, didn't we? we barely made the playoffs...

everyone is excited, and everyone wants to see how much longer this miracle run will continue...

but imo, a hockey analyst that continues to analyze, vs simply get caught up in the emotions of success, is 100x better than the annoying plugs that only and always state the obvious/say what people want to hear.

let's just enjoy the run and save the *****ing and I told you so's till the cup parade!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

At least he's sticking to his opinion?

Not like Michel Bergeron who's stating one day that he wants everybody to be traded and then when they start being not that bad, ends up saying that he said that AT THE TIME, 'cause that's how they were playing back then.....

Or a better one.....Bergeron, Villeneuve and some others who keeps saying "Well we were right to bash them" since they are playing much better now.

How can you be wrong that way either?

Yet, do people realize that we were one loss away from not witnessing what we're seeing right now? And while the team plays a great system, that Cammy, Gio and some others are just great hockey players, do people really believe that an ordinairy Halak still make us win the Caps series? Seriously?

But what McGuire and others forget to mention is that the goalie is part of the team. Even the almighty Pens cannot win when they have an ordinairy Fleury in net. Only Detroit might have won without an extraordinairy goalie and still, I believed we've underrated some of Osgood performances thinking that he wasn't that great when he actually made a whole lot of key saves.....nothing says that a Osgood from the old days, would not have made the Wings still be part of these playoffs....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote