HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Had this argument the other day

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Had this argument the other day

Who was the fastest skater to ever play for the Habs?

I said Cournoyer. Some other names to come up were Lafleur, Murray Wilson, Zednik, Frank Mahovlich, Lemaire.

Old
03-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Who was the fastest skater to ever play for the Habs?

I said Cournoyer. Some other names to come up were Lafleur, Murray Wilson, Zednik, Frank Mahovlich, Lemaire.
Oleg Petrov would also be one!

Old
03-06-2005, 02:51 PM
larue*

Russ Courtnall could be one. maybe

Old
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
RaTcine

Oleg. No doubt.

Old
03-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
There's plenty of fast skaters.

Cournoyer of course was something, Courtnall comes to mind, (i dont think Oleg was fast enought to beat those 2). I'm not sure at all, but i think Matts Naslund was pretty fast too, isnt he?

Old
03-06-2005, 05:03 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Courtnall was the fastest of all to escape any form of physical play in the corners.

Old
03-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I would say Russ Courtnall. When I first watched the Habs, he was my favourite player. Good old Number 6... Petrov later took that number, when he first started with the Habs.

Old
03-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Chet-Nick

During my lifetime, it would be a tie between Cournoyer and Courtnall. Another fellow that had great speed but, was better known for his heavy shot was Richer.

Old
03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Cournoyer is out of my realm of knowledge.

Russ "Headless Chicken" Courtnall was damn fast.

Lafleur was also fast AND electrifying. It was a beauty to watch Lafleur in puck possession, shifting gears.

I would say Lafleur was an all-around better skater with the puck. But Courtnall was a machine as far as straightaway speed.

This reminds me of an argument some people always bring up in Vancouver. They keep on saying Brashear beat everybody (including Pavel Bure) in a rink lap race at a team competition to say he was a faster guy than Pavel. They fail to realize that consistently carrying the puck at full speed like Bure is what really counts, IMO.

This is why guys like Fedorov are money. They are beautiful, smooth skaters, always in control. They are shifty and can accomplish it with or without the puck.

Another guy who made a good impression on me was Mats Naslund for the Habs. Naslund was such an awesome little player, a little bit in the Samsonov mold.

Old
03-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick
During my lifetime, it would be a tie between Cournoyer and Courtnall. Another fellow that had great speed but, was better known for his heavy shot was Richer.
Richer was pretty quick for a guy his size. His strength was underestimated. He was a powerful player with a powerful stride (not to mention his powerful shot!)

If only he had played with a chip on his shoulder, his career would have been even better.

Old
03-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Theodoredust

Habs fastest skater

I,ve been an avid Canadiens fan since 1953 - and the fastest skaters, to me, have been 1- Cournoyer , 2 - Ralf Backstrom , 3 - Henri Richard / Closest to these three was Russ Courtnall .

Old
03-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Poochie_D

ALL-TIME: Lafleur
PRESENTLY: Jan Bulis... followed closely by Zednik

Old
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
ALL-TIME: Lafleur
PRESENTLY: Jan Bulis... followed closely by Zednik
I agree with Bulis for the current habs. Bulis is by far the fastest skater IMO (zednik not even close). It would be hard to compare with previous guys. As many people mentionned Cournoyer and Cortnall where quite impressive. One guy that was not brought up at all is Guy Carboneau, If my memory serves me well he was quite a good skater. I can remember him blocking a shot at his blue line to eventualy get up and score on a breakaway...

Old
03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Lowetide

Backstrom was a terrific player, nice to see his name. Murray Wilson was really fast, Lafleur too, but I would say Cournoyer. I remember a game 30 some years ago against the North Stars where the puck got out of the Habs end and went all the way to the blueline. Maniago started to come out by the Roadrunner was so damn quick he got there in a heartbeat. Maniago got back in the net and Cournoyer SHOT from way out and damn near took Cesare's head off.

Funny what you remember.

Old
03-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Why is Zednik being mentioned? He isn't really that fast. He is just strong on his skates.

Old
03-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Why is Zednik being mentioned? He isn't really that fast. He is just strong on his skates.
I think he is mentioned because he is such a North-South player. It tricks a couple of people into thinking he's fast when really, he's just a good skater who always heads for the offensive zone in as straight a line as possible.

His skating and speed aren't extraordinary, I agree with you.

Old
03-06-2005, 11:27 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Cournoyer is out of my realm of knowledge.

Russ "Headless Chicken" Courtnall was damn fast.

Lafleur was also fast AND electrifying. It was a beauty to watch Lafleur in puck possession, shifting gears.

I would say Lafleur was an all-around better skater with the puck. But Courtnall was a machine as far as straightaway speed.

This reminds me of an argument some people always bring up in Vancouver. They keep on saying Brashear beat everybody (including Pavel Bure) in a rink lap race at a team competition to say he was a faster guy than Pavel. They fail to realize that consistently carrying the puck at full speed like Bure is what really counts, IMO.

This is why guys like Fedorov are money. They are beautiful, smooth skaters, always in control. They are shifty and can accomplish it with or without the puck.

Another guy who made a good impression on me was Mats Naslund for the Habs. Naslund was such an awesome little player, a little bit in the Samsonov mold.
This is the end of the internet.

Ahem... It is very hard to really determine the fastest skater in the NHL because almost all of them can skate pretty well, except the pylons on the blueline like Cory Cross or Chris Therien. Bill freaking Guerin won an all-star speed skating competition, don't remember which year it was! So if you say fastest skater meaning straightaway speed, alot of big guys are up there for sure because of their long, powerful strides. Moreover, as Vlad pointed out, speed with the puck is what really counts in an NHL game. That way you separate Bure from Brashear (although I'd say the former has the best set of hands and legs for a goon in the entire NHL, he has really improved).

Another tricky part is to separate the eras of hockey.Would Guy Lafleur get beat in a race by most players in today's NHL? Probably.
Thus, it is obvious that it has to be analysed from a relative point-of-view set in time.

Thus, we can say that Cournoyer and Courtnall beat everybody else.

Hey... HF does not encourage "Ditto-only" posts so there you go, this is my approval of Vlad's opinion on the subject!

Old
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
That's exactly what I thought. I don't think his straightaway speed is that impressive. ON the current roster, It would probably be Bulis though I think he's just a good skater. Yeah, courtnall was freaking fast. He had some great numbers in the earl nineties.

Old
03-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Russ Courtnall is my pick.... his speed is the only reason he played in the NHl cuz it made him a goal scorer. Without his speed, he was nothing cuz he didn't play a lick of defense. Petrov had strong acceleration but Courtnall could skate at a higher speed.

And I think it sunfair to bring up older guys like the ROAD RUNNER. Sure, he was one of the fastest in his era but I have a tought time believing that he would an elite skater in today's era. So I wouldn't consider him the fastest.

For a current Hab.... i'll take jan bulis.... he has amazing top speed but no balance to go with it

Old
03-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Sounds like Cournoyer is the all-time fastest with Bulis being the present day fastest.

My favorite Cournoyer goal was when he blew by the USSR defense in Game 2 of the '72 Series. Now that was speed and a shot!

Old
03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Guy Caballero

Courtnall-Cournoyer = tie for straight up speed.

Lafleur = best for speed + control.

Brashear = fastest guy without the ability to turn

Old
03-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Bulis is realy fast. Plekanec won the faste skater in the AHL so he's also fast. Courtnall was fast.

Old
03-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
Bulis is realy fast. Plekanec won the faste skater in the AHL so he's also fast. Courtnall was fast.
Plekanec said himself that he was surprised he won the event. I don't think he has super speed.

Old
03-07-2005, 02:34 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Plekanec said himself that he was surprised he won the event. I don't think he has super speed.
his friends (czech friends I guess) couldn't believe it, their first reaction was to ask him if he won because everybody else fell....

Old
03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
mcphee

Courtnall,Cournoyer,Lafleur,Bobby Sheehan, Wilson, I thought Rucinsky could fly,a guy named Chuck Lefley was pretty fast, Backstrom. JD's right, it's all comparitive. Richer and Zednik were power skaters who challenged on the outside, not sure if they had the same pure speed. I disagree about Carbo, he was a good skater but not in the class of these guys. I thought Svoboda was fast as hell. Sure I'm forgetting somebody.

Closed Thread