HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien

Old
05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien

Will Sather take a look at these guys this off-season?

What do you feel is fair offer to Chicago? They wouldn't be interested in any taking Cap space back, so hold the Rozsival proposals.

Patrick Sharp (C/LW) 28 years old 3.9M Cap hit, signed through 11-12.
Last 3 seasons: 223GP 87G 85A 172P

Coming off a career high with 45A. Averaged close to 30G last 3 season's. Despite his assist total, he's a shoot-first type of player. He lead all forwards on Chicago with 266 shots taken. Good speed, good awareness. Handles the puck well in open ice, and along the boards. Effective at both Center and Wing. Decent at faceoffs (51.7% FOW)

He's not very physical. Does battle hard, is responsible defensively. Doesn't block many shots, but can handle a two-way role very well. He has a good hockey I.Q, imo. Understands the game well, and doesn't make many errors.

Kris Versteeg (LW) Turned 24 today. 3.1M Cap hit, signed through 11-12. Unlike Sharp, he'll be a groupII when his contract expires.
Last 2 seasons: 157GP, 42G, 55A, 99P

Much like Sharp, Versteeg isn't going to provide a big impact defensively. Doesn't block many shots, doesn't hit much either. He's a shifty winger who can handle the puck in tight areas. Higher ceiling than Sharp, imo. But more inconsistent.

Dustin Byfuglien (RW/D) 25 years old. 3M Cap hit. RFA this summer.
Last 3 seasons: 226GP, 51G, 50A, 101P

Power forward who can skate and shoot. Definitely the least skilled out of the three, and probably the most overpaid, although he's versatile enough to play two positions at a competent NHL level.

Biggest gamble with Dustin, is what version are you getting from him? The motivated, hungry, aggressive 250lb bowling ball, or the floater who seems to somehow dissapear? Despite my concerns with Torts as a head coach, I think a player like Dustin can really thrive under him.

Dustin would definitely have the lesser production out of the three. But he would provide us with some size up front. Skilled enough to play a top-6 role.

Problems we have: Assets. There's going to be a lot of bidding for all three of these guys this summer. I don't feel any of them are worth a top-10 pick, so If that's the asking price for a Sharp, or Versteeg, GTFO.

I would absolutely dangle our 2nd round pick, plus a prospect for a guy like Sharp though. Versteeg I like, but out of the three of them, I think he'll impact our team the least.

2nd+Sauer = Sharp
2nd+4th '11 = Versteeg
2nd = Byfuglien

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Vitto79

I still think we would have to give up Sanguinetti to get Sharp and to be honest I would do it at this pt to get a top C in. He would'nt necessarily be the best for Gaborik but I rather have a C than wingers like Buff and Versteeg

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
ruckus*

I'm not sure any of those deals get done

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Sadly, I don't either. Underpayment for Sharp/Steeg, and overpayment for Dustin. I should have spent a little more time creating the proposal's.

Old
05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
All 3 deals are underpayment. Not going to happen.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:38 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I like Byfuglien the most. He's a big strong forward and plays the game so hard and tough. We need that.

Sharp and Versteeg are interesting but I would rather go for Byfuglien.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Sharp is only a band aid but I'd take him as that. Not sure what it would take to get it done. Versteeg I like but he might be a little redundant on this team and probably costs the most. Byfuglien would probably be great next to Anisimov but I question how much of his success comes from his high quality teammates. I'd put in deals for all three but I would not overpay. Thankfully, Sather avoids doing that so if we trade with them, there's a fair chance we end up winning.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Valverde

I think Rangers're in difficult situation as far as dealing with Hawks goes as both teams wil have problems getting under salary cap. Hawks are probably looking for picks/prospects/very cheap but promising bottom-liners.

Personally I wouldn't give up our 1st rounder for Versteeg and Byfuglien, but if we could het Sharp for the pick straight up, I'd definately consider it. I think Versteeg/Byfuglien have similar value, I reckon Hawks may get late 1st rounder and a solid prospect, but we don't have a late first rounder... 2nd rounder + a good prospect might also do it, but really, do we want to give up Grachev/Sangs/Stepan/Kreider along with pretty high 2nd rounder for Versteeg/Byfuglien? I didn't think so. Only positive is that Anisimov would look great with Byfuglien, fair play to him.

Sharp is a good player, I watch Chicago pretty often and he's the best offensive player out of this bunch. After the deadline we had Jokinen for what, over 4M per year? Sharp is much better than Olli right now and his cap hit is 3.9, definitely tolerable. I would consider giving up the 1st rounder, or 2nd + Sangs, if we were to deal for him.

Versteeg is a "nay" for me, Byfuglien I guess too. Sharp, I like him, would be an important guy in our top 6. I must say I'm confident with Sather that when there's an opportunity, he'd go for him and get him for reasonable price.

Valverde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Will Sather take a look at these guys this off-season?

What do you feel is fair offer to Chicago? They wouldn't be interested in any taking Cap space back, so hold the Rozsival proposals.

Patrick Sharp (C/LW) 28 years old 3.9M Cap hit, signed through 11-12.
Last 3 seasons: 223GP 87G 85A 172P

Coming off a career high with 45A. Averaged close to 30G last 3 season's. Despite his assist total, he's a shoot-first type of player. He lead all forwards on Chicago with 266 shots taken. Good speed, good awareness. Handles the puck well in open ice, and along the boards. Effective at both Center and Wing. Decent at faceoffs (51.7% FOW)

He's not very physical. Does battle hard, is responsible defensively. Doesn't block many shots, but can handle a two-way role very well. He has a good hockey I.Q, imo. Understands the game well, and doesn't make many errors.

Kris Versteeg (LW) Turned 24 today. 3.1M Cap hit, signed through 11-12. Unlike Sharp, he'll be a groupII when his contract expires.
Last 2 seasons: 157GP, 42G, 55A, 99P

Much like Sharp, Versteeg isn't going to provide a big impact defensively. Doesn't block many shots, doesn't hit much either. He's a shifty winger who can handle the puck in tight areas. Higher ceiling than Sharp, imo. But more inconsistent.

Dustin Byfuglien (RW/D) 25 years old. 3M Cap hit. RFA this summer.
Last 3 seasons: 226GP, 51G, 50A, 101P

Power forward who can skate and shoot. Definitely the least skilled out of the three, and probably the most overpaid, although he's versatile enough to play two positions at a competent NHL level.

Biggest gamble with Dustin, is what version are you getting from him? The motivated, hungry, aggressive 250lb bowling ball, or the floater who seems to somehow dissapear? Despite my concerns with Torts as a head coach, I think a player like Dustin can really thrive under him.

Dustin would definitely have the lesser production out of the three. But he would provide us with some size up front. Skilled enough to play a top-6 role.

Problems we have: Assets. There's going to be a lot of bidding for all three of these guys this summer. I don't feel any of them are worth a top-10 pick, so If that's the asking price for a Sharp, or Versteeg, GTFO.

I would absolutely dangle our 2nd round pick, plus a prospect for a guy like Sharp though. Versteeg I like, but out of the three of them, I think he'll impact our team the least.

2nd+Sauer = Sharp
2nd+4th '11 = Versteeg
2nd = Byfuglien
Hawks won't take any of those trades, they may ask for grachev which I would be reluctant to trade. Sangs and a 2nd rounder for Sharp sounds more realistic, but why not just sign lombardi because both are just stop-gaps until someone else is ready or acquired.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
NYR Viper

I would take Versteeg. Nothing wrong with another Callahan.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
BPD

I think if we were willing to flip something like Ryan Bourque and a 3rd for Byfuglien, they'd have to listen.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'd like all three of em, and i'd do the first two of the aforementioned deals. Not so sure Chicago would.

Sharp could really help this team, i'd almost be interested to see a package involving Girardi, maybe Sanguinetti or Grachev for both of em.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Wow, Blackhawks are really in a mess of a cap situation...

Between 9 forwards, 4 defensemen, 1 goalie... They have just about no cap space.

Since they need a defenseman, maybe we can package Girardi + Voros/Breashear() + 2nd Pick for Sharp.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Since they need a defenseman, maybe we can package Girardi + Voros/Breashear() + 2nd Pick for Sharp.
Girardi could get 3M this summer. He's not going to help their cap issues.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'd be interested in Versteeg and Sharp, but as I've said before, I really have no interest in Byfulgien.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:35 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Byfuglien is so versatile he can play D too in emergency situations.

Prust-Anisimov-Byfuglien could be a sick 3rd line and he can screen the goalie on the PP and cause all kinds of problems for the Prongers and Gills of the East.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I think Slats is going to take a serious look at Byfuglien especially since Arty seemed to play so well with physical wingers.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I think Slats is going to take a serious look at Byfuglien especially since Arty seemed to play so well with physical wingers.
Chicago has cap problems galore including having to resign Niemi. It would make more sense to trade Sharp because Byfug is much younger/more physical and will be an RFA while Sharp will be UFA but if they win it all, maybe Chicago will be willing to part with big Byfug.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Would rather sign Lombardi then to give away assets for Sharp.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
In The Flesh

Only interested in Buff, not interested in guys who don't hit, plain and simple. This franchise needs to go in a different direction.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 11:40 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Hawks motivation to move any of these players would be to get under the salary cap. The Rangers have cap concerns. The Hawks 2010-11 cap is a disaster.

Of the three, I like Sharp the best. He's a fair value at $3.9MM and while not a true #1 center, he's pretty close. And it appears he is a team leader. Sharp is a much better option than Lombardi.

We know the Hawks can't take back salary. If they like Sanguinetti, he's be a great start. Draft picks are also possible as well as another young prospect. Depends on what the like, want and need.

The other two guys are fine. I like Byfuglien better than Versteeg but neither fills the needs as well as Sharp.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be interested in Versteeg and Sharp, but as I've said before, I really have no interest in Byfulgien.
I just can't seem to sway your opinion on Byf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Byfuglien is so versatile he can play D too in emergency situations.

Prust-Anisimov-Byfuglien could be a sick 3rd line and he can screen the goalie on the PP and cause all kinds of problems for the Prongers and Gills of the East.
Not a big fan of having Prust on our 3rd line. I think Avery fills that role well. I wouldn't personally consider Byf if we're going to play him on our third line. I think he can be a long-term option as our second-line LW. Adds another dimension we lack, versatile enough to play Forward, and Defense, which is nice considering Torts doesn't typically carry 7 dmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't mind any of the three, as long as we don't give up much. It's clear what Dustin can provide. Versteeg is the biggest gamble imo. He's much more skilled than his stats suggest. Sharp is the sure-thing, but he's the oldest, most expensive, and only 2 years remaining on his rather friendly contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Would rather sign Lombardi then to give away assets for Sharp.
Believe me, I'm no fan of giving up picks. I hated the 2nd rounder we gave up for Antropov, and 3rd rounder we gave up for Boyle.

But Lombardi? Over Sharp? Like I said, if a 1st round pick is the asking price for Sharp, then I pass without even blinking. But if we can realistically get him for 2nd, + a prospect not named Kreider/Stepan/McDonagh, I would definitely consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Only interested in Buff, not interested in guys who don't hit, plain and simple. This franchise needs to go in a different direction.
3M+ for Buff. At that price, he needs to perform offensively. There's no doubt in my mind Steeg+Sharp make the bigger impact where we need it most. Reason why I want Byf is because of his variables. Age, size, versatility, and talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Hawks motivation to move any of these players would be to get under the salary cap. The Rangers have cap concerns. The Hawks 2010-11 cap is a disaster.
We do have cap concerns, but we can afford all three players.

Quote:
Of the three, I like Sharp the best. He's a fair value at $3.9MM and while not a true #1 center, he's pretty close. And it appears he is a team leader. Sharp is a much better option than Lombardi.
He's the safest gamble, imo. I think a 1st line of Dubi-Sharp-Gabs can be pretty successful. He plays just as well at wing too.

Quote:
We know the Hawks can't take back salary. If they like Sanguinetti, he's be a great start. Draft picks are also possible as well as another young prospect. Depends on what the like, want and need.
2nd, + Sangs. Would you do it?

Quote:
The other two guys are fine. I like Byfuglien better than Versteeg but neither fills the needs as well as Sharp.
Sharp
Byf
Steeg

That would be my order. Very close between Sharp+Byf, especially since dustin will cost a little less, and has more long-term appeal than Sharp. Steeg doesn't interest me as much, but I would definitely welcome him if the cost was appropriate for his skills.

All three can play a top-6 role on our team, for a fair price.

Old
05-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

2nd+Sauer = Sharp
2nd+4th '11 = Versteeg
2nd = Byfuglien
Hawks can get better value than those deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I still think we would have to give up Sanguinetti to get Sharp and to be honest I would do it at this pt to get a top C in. He would'nt necessarily be the best for Gaborik but I rather have a C than wingers like Buff and Versteeg
I dont see Sanguinetti being of interest to Hawks

He looked out of place in his brief times in NHL and was pretty terrible from what I saw of him in 2nd half down in Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I think if we were willing to flip something like Ryan Bourque and a 3rd for Byfuglien, they'd have to listen.
Hawks already have a few good C prospects in pipeline in Marcus Kruger (SEL) and Brandon Pirri (NCAA)

So I dont see Bourque appealing to them that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Wow, Blackhawks are really in a mess of a cap situation...

Between 9 forwards, 4 defensemen, 1 goalie... They have just about no cap space..
Our cap problems are overstated

Huet is going to be sent to AHL or loaned to Europe (It is clear he wont be back but he is probably not tradeable)

Sopel has value as a PK/Shot Blocking bottom pairing dman so Hawks can package him with a 2nd to get his final year off the books

We have to move 2 of Versteeg , Sharp and Byfuglien

After that we should be fine

Of the RFA's we should be able to sign most of them to decent fair deals. Hjalmarsson (2.6 range) , Niemi (1.8-2.0) , Ladd (1.8-2.0) , Hendry should get raise to about (800k) range , Bickell would only cost (.675k) and Skille will be resigned for lower then his ELC to something like (.950k)

Resign Burish who is a UFA and then we replace most of the guys departing with guys from our system

Eager - Bickell
Fraser - Dowell
Sopel - Connelly
Huet - Crawford

Beach/Skille will compete for open roster spot in top 9 next camp. So Hawks will probably field a team like this (I think we would rather keep Sharp out of the 3 options but if team is confident in Beach they would move Sharp and have Beach start year with Toews-Kane)

Brouwer-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa
Ladd-Kopecky-Skille
Bickell-Dowell-Burish
(Cheap extra )

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Connelly-Hendry
(Cheap UFA vet to be #7)

Niemi
Crawford

We will lose some depth but still a strong team

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hawks can get better value than those deals
What kind of return are you expecting from all three? I think there will be enough interest in all 3 players to garner a fair return, despite the situation you guys are currently in.

Old
05-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
What kind of return are you expecting from all three? I think there will be enough interest in all 3 players to garner a fair return, despite the situation you guys are currently in.
Sharp = Mid to late 1st + good prospect
Versteeg = Late 1st (Pens for instance) or 2nd + good prospect
Buff = 2nd + decent prospect

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote