HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Thinking of getting a droid

Old
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Heaton
#hope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
There is an option in the contacts under settings where you can only have people with phone numbers appear in your contacts list. This will limit the clutter in your contacts. Also, if you go into your Gmail account (on your PC), you can merge contacts fairly easily so there aren't multiple contacts floating around.

Once you get this whole sync thing down (especially with things like Google Calendar and Google Reader (both RSS/Atom and podcasts), you'll never want to live without an Android phone again. I've only been on Android for 5 months, and I already can't imagine life without it.
Beautiful. Thank you.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Welcome to Android Heaton!
Always glad to see another person join the ranks!

(Although I secretly hate you for having such an awesome phone )

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Welcome to Android Heaton!
Always glad to see another person join the ranks!

(Although I secretly hate you for having such an awesome phone )
Thanks for all of the advice!

Do you have the Droid Light app? It says touch to turn LED on but it never really changes.

Old
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Thanks for all of the advice!

Do you have the Droid Light app? It says touch to turn LED on but it never really changes.
If I recall that requires root access to work. (Root access is similar to iPhone/iPod Touch jailbreaking)

I'm guessing you want to use the phone's LED as a flashlight.

BTW, here's a few sites to get you started on what apps to get:
http://gizmodo.com/tag/androidappsdirectory
http://androidandme.com/tag/reviewcontest/
http://appaware.org/stats.php
http://www.androlib.com/

BTW see those boxes that are on the pages of these sites. Those are QR codes.
Like this:

If you go to the market and grab the app called "Barcode scanner" you can read those QR codes with your camera using "barcode scanner" or "Google Goggles" (which is another app I recommend) and it will link you directly to market page of the apps your looking at on your computer.

Google Goggles in addition to being able to scan QR codes and Barcodes for stuff like Books and DVDs, can also identify object just by taking a picture of the item or a logo.

I also recommend Shopsavvy and/or Shopper by Google they can scan Barcode of stuff like DVD and books and games and give you an idea about prices for that item online or even competing stores in your vicinity if you have GPS on.

Last edited by Sined: 04-29-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old
04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
If I recall that requires root access to work. (Root access is similar to iPhone/iPod Touch jailbreaking)

I'm guessing you want to use the phone's LED as a flashlight.

BTW, here's a few sites to get you started on what apps to get:
http://gizmodo.com/tag/androidappsdirectory
http://androidandme.com/tag/reviewcontest/
http://appaware.org/stats.php
http://www.androlib.com/

BTW see those boxes that are on the pages of these sites. Those are QR codes.
Like this:

If you go to the market and grab the app called "Barcode scanner" you can read those QR codes with your camera using "barcode scanner" or "Google Goggles" (which is another app I recommend) and it will link you directly to market page of the apps your looking at on your computer.

Google Goggles in addition to being able to scan QR codes and Barcodes for stuff like Books and DVDs, can also identify object just by taking a picture of the item or a logo.

I also recommend Shopsavvy and/or Shopper by Google they can scan Barcode of stuff like DVD and books and games and give you an idea about prices for that item online or even competing stores in your vicinity if you have GPS on.
Yeah, looks like some of the flashlight apps aren't working with the Incredible yet.

Looks like I have a bunch of things to get going, I'm sure I'll be contacting you down the road.

Old
04-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Paradigm

Alright, apparently I'm eligible for new phone. I got a letter in the mail stating so, even though the store told me July when I talked with them in December.

Anyway, I'm ready to move into the Android realm from my Alias. I love the keyboard on the Alias, so I was originally drawn to the Droid and the Devour. I know the Droid is probably way better than the Devour, but there's just something about the Droid keyboard that doesn't sit perfectly with me. I think I'd like the spacing of the Devour better, although I haven't actually held one yet.

Then there's the Incredible, which is supposed to be, well, incredible. Is it really that much better than the Droid?

So I guess my questions are: how would you rank these phones in terms of features? I know the Droid and Incredible are probably better overall, while the Devour is oriented more towards social networking, which I'm not really involved in. Also, how are the on-screen keyboards compared to the physical keyboards? Did anyone else jump from the Alias? How often do you find yourself using the physical keyboard as opposed to the on-screen for those of you that have a Droid or Devour?

Thanks in advance for the input, and any other info that would make my decision easier is greatly appreciated.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
Alright, apparently I'm eligible for new phone. I got a letter in the mail stating so, even though the store told me July when I talked with them in December.

Anyway, I'm ready to move into the Android realm from my Alias. I love the keyboard on the Alias, so I was originally drawn to the Droid and the Devour. I know the Droid is probably way better than the Devour, but there's just something about the Droid keyboard that doesn't sit perfectly with me. I think I'd like the spacing of the Devour better, although I haven't actually held one yet.

Then there's the Incredible, which is supposed to be, well, incredible. Is it really that much better than the Droid?

So I guess my questions are: how would you rank these phones in terms of features? I know the Droid and Incredible are probably better overall, while the Devour is oriented more towards social networking, which I'm not really involved in. Also, how are the on-screen keyboards compared to the physical keyboards? Did anyone else jump from the Alias? How often do you find yourself using the physical keyboard as opposed to the on-screen for those of you that have a Droid or Devour?

Thanks in advance for the input, and any other info that would make my decision easier is greatly appreciated.
As I *just* entered the Droid universe yesterday I can tell you that I was worried about another touchscreen keyboard as the ones I've used in the past haven't been very good. But the autocomplete feature and great touch reaction with the Incredible doesn't make me miss a physical keyboard one bit. It's almost better than any of the physical ones I've ever used.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
As I *just* entered the Droid universe yesterday I can tell you that I was worried about another touchscreen keyboard as the ones I've used in the past haven't been very good. But the autocomplete feature and great touch reaction with the Incredible doesn't make me miss a physical keyboard one bit. It's almost better than any of the physical ones I've ever used.
He basically put it the best way. The HTC software keyboard is considered by most, one of the premiere touch based keyboards in the smartphone market, comparable and excels in certain situation against the top of class iPhone software keyboard.

Basically if you take the Devour you're getting old hardware.
The Droid's keyboard leaves A LOT to be desired.

If you can go to a Verizon store and try out one of the live demos of a Droid Incredible it would probably be your best plan to figure out if you can live without a hard keyboard or not.

If you can't stand the soft keyboard go with the Droid, it's a solid phone. But just don't expect a whirl of a time with the hardware keyboard. I would personally just stay away from the Devour. Like you said it is gear towards social networking enthusiasts and has aging hardware.

If you can live with an onscreen keyboard the Droid Incredible is the best Android phone available not only on Verizon but the best Android phone available in America period. (At least until the EVO 4G hits the market, presumably)

Old
04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Paradigm

Thank you both for the input so far. I definitely agree with the line of thinking that puts me closer to an Incredible. I'll definitely be trying out each phone at the store to get somewhat of a feel for them.

The EVO 4G looks awesome, but is it going to be a Sprint exclusive? Not a fan of Sprint at all.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
Thank you both for the input so far. I definitely agree with the line of thinking that puts me closer to an Incredible. I'll definitely be trying out each phone at the store to get somewhat of a feel for them.

The EVO 4G looks awesome, but is it going to be a Sprint exclusive? Not a fan of Sprint at all.
Yeah, actually as awesome as the EVO 4G is for a Geek like myself. I can really see it's size being TOO big for a casual person looking to try out a smartphone for the first time.

The butter zone for comfort is probably in the 3.5'-4' range.

But yeah the EVO 4G is an exclusive.

Knowing Verizon, the Incredible will be a massive hit for people who are willing to forgo a hardware keyboard.

Old
05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Sorry, just another quick question: would anyone know how to change keyboards (standard, japanese, Android) on the XPERIA x10?

EDIT: So, apparently you just long press any text box and change the input method... wow. I tried googling "xperia x10 keyboard change" and other variants, but nothing happened until I accidentally prompted the input method box by mistake. Useless post of the year.

Last edited by Saren: 05-13-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
Sorry, just another quick question: would anyone know how to change keyboards (standard, japanese, Android) on the XPERIA x10?

EDIT: So, apparently you just long press any text box and change the input method... wow. I tried googling "xperia x10 keyboard change" and other variants, but nothing happened until I accidentally prompted the input method box by mistake. Useless post of the year.
I would get a replacement keyboard to replace the X10 one. It simply sucks.
Is that Emma Roberts in your avatar?

Old
05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
I would get a replacement keyboard to replace the X10 one. It simply sucks.
Is that Emma Roberts in your avatar?
Yeah, the keyboard is much too small for my liking. I have short, chubby fingers, and I always end up pressing the keys adjacent to the one I'm trying to reach.

And yes, that would be Miss Roberts in my avatar. Lovely little thing, isn't she?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote