HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Bernier

Old
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
I don't really get all the hate for this guys performance... Sure the guy is really streaky and frustrating to watch but what do people really expect point wise from a 3rd or 4th liner?
At $1mil a year I think you accept he's a limited player that will make modest contributions and you live with it. At $2mil he becomes dead cap space. There are only so many places to free up money and he's one of the guys not really outperforming his contract, nor looks to do so any time soon. If there was some untapped upside there you could live with a short term hit for a longterm gain but Bernier has shown little to no signs of developing for the last 4 years.

Brian Burke is a guy I could see inquiring about Bernier. I would absolutely love to see the Canucks pry Tomas Kaberle out of Toronto with Bieksa and Bernier as centrepieces in the deal. Hell, throw in our 1st round pick too. I think it's worth a call.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Aside from taping his eyes open and making him watch video of Andrew Ladd in the playoffs, what do you do with him next year?
ladd ??? the guy that punches obrian in 5 minute old stitches, crosschecks keslers nose when not looking, slashes bieksa's wrist....... the guy is a coward (to quote kesler). he is a bad skater, only cheapshots, and only won a cup by being a fringe player who ran roloson and took him out of the playoffs. real great guy..... just a perfect role model.

bernier is good, does his job and is worth 2 mill. like geez. he's also the only big body up front we have.

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
the guy that punches obrian in 5 minute old stitches, crosschecks keslers nose when not looking, slashes bieksa's wrist.......
Albert! Albert! Albert!

Quote:
(to quote kesler)
After no-showing in the playoffs AGAIN Kesler needs to ****.

Old
05-13-2010, 12:14 AM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Albert! Albert! Albert!
i dont understand this

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:24 AM
NCPokey

Quote:
i dont understand this
Maybe this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkyMM3EScjA

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yup. You can do well in this league with slow feet and quick hands or average hands and elite level skating. However you can't excel with slow hands and slow feet. Bernier just doesn't have the fast twitch muscle to turn his career around. You can wait as long as you want, fast twitch muscle doesn't take longer to develop, you either have it or you don't. Bernier does not.

Let's not even get into what goes on between the ears. I can't decide what's slower - Bernier's hands, feet or his brain.
This might hold water if not for the 2nd half of the 08-09 season.

Bernier was great down the stretch and into the playoffs two years ago, and was everything you could want from a big physical 3rd line player - not any different from a guy like Ladd for Chicago now. He was skating well, keeping up with the play, hitting everything in sight and finishing his checks *hard*, and scoring the odd goal.

This season was just a total write-off.

Between the lost weight and the abdominal problem, and probably just a general lack of confidence, he was trash all year.

I don't know what to do about him for next year. The main issue here is that if he's on, he helps fill a major organizational weakness - size, grit, and physical play on our top 3 lines.

It wouldn't kill me if he was gone, but I'd completely understand the decision if he's back here for one last chance next year.

As bad as he was this season, he looked like a terrific aquisition a year ago.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
I thought it was an excellent move at the time of the deal - and like you said he's had his moments, including the playoffs where he's looked pretty good minus the Chicago series. With that said, there are only so many realistic places the canucks will be able to shed salary and Bernier is one of them. I'd look to move Bieksa or Alberts before him but Bernier would be one of the next guys to look to along with Shane O'Brien if the space was needed.

One thing that does make Bernier valuable is he has shown he can play physical without taking penalties. That's something a lot of physical players struggle to do. He might just be a luxury the team cannot afford if they want to upgrade the defense.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Try to convince Joe Niewendyk to take Bernier and Bieksa for Brenden Morrow.

He'd be one of my targets this offseason. Hungry, physical leader who can obviously still play and play hard.

Plus with Dallas rebuilding and his relatively high salary ($4.1mm next 2 years), he can be had. But salary would need to be going back or offloaded elsewhere for him.

Gillis needs to target more of these types.
I can't imagine the feeling of waking up and seeing a trade like that go down if I were a Canuck fan. That would be absolutely ideal for you guys, wouldn't it?

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:06 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I thought it was an excellent move at the time of the deal - and like you said he's had his moments, including the playoffs where he's looked pretty good minus the Chicago series. With that said, there are only so many realistic places the canucks will be able to shed salary and Bernier is one of them. I'd look to move Bieksa or Alberts before him but Bernier would be one of the next guys to look to along with Shane O'Brien if the space was needed.

One thing that does make Bernier valuable is he has shown he can play physical without taking penalties. That's something a lot of physical players struggle to do. He might just be a luxury the team cannot afford if they want to upgrade the defense.
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I liked what I saw from him in 08-09 enough that I'd probably be willing to give him the last year of his deal to prove himself again. Bad years happen.

We should have enough cap space to upgrade the blueline without moving Bernier, I wouldn't think.

If Bieksa and Mitchell are gone, sliding (say) Hamhuis and Seidenberg in at about $8.5 million combined is only $1 million more.

If we need space, O'Brien is a much more likely cap casualty. If we add 2 quality guys to Edler/Ehrhoff/Salo, Rome is perfectly capable of being a solid #6 with Alberts as an OK #7. I don't know how likely O'Brien is to be back after everything that happened this season.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:12 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
ladd ??? the guy that punches obrian in 5 minute old stitches, crosschecks keslers nose when not looking, slashes bieksa's wrist....... the guy is a coward (to quote kesler). he is a bad skater, only cheapshots, and only won a cup by being a fringe player who ran roloson and took him out of the playoffs. real great guy..... just a perfect role model.

bernier is good, does his job and is worth 2 mill. like geez. he's also the only big body up front we have.
Yeah. He's all those things. AKA the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs. Brought a huge physical presence.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
xOvechkin*

trade him right away!

he still has trade value high....or else it's gonna be low and nobody will be interested in him...

i say trade him cuz he's still young...

xOvechkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
This might hold water if not for the 2nd half of the 08-09 season.

Bernier was great down the stretch and into the playoffs two years ago, and was everything you could want from a big physical 3rd line player - not any different from a guy like Ladd for Chicago now. He was skating well, keeping up with the play, hitting everything in sight and finishing his checks *hard*, and scoring the odd goal.

This season was just a total write-off.

Between the lost weight and the abdominal problem, and probably just a general lack of confidence, he was trash all year.

I don't know what to do about him for next year. The main issue here is that if he's on, he helps fill a major organizational weakness - size, grit, and physical play on our top 3 lines.

It wouldn't kill me if he was gone, but I'd completely understand the decision if he's back here for one last chance next year.

I tend to agree with most of this. I think I'd like him back. He had an awful season, but I think the injury really hampered him. Let's not forget, at Christmas, Bernier had already scored 10 goals. I believe Bernier suffered the ab strain shortly after that?

He scored 4 goals in 6 games in the LA series, and I thought he played well Game One in Chicago, had an assist. Bernier was not very good in Game Two, but after that, he couldn't get on the ice.

The last 4 games of the Chicago series, Benier played 7:36 in Game 3, only 4:24 in Game 4, back up to 9:54 in Game 5 (a game they won), and then back down to 6:50 in Game Six.

I think there is potential there, and if he can regain his stride, he's can be a good player here. You can't teach size.

I agree that his overpaid and has generally been a disapointment, but I would give up on him just yet.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
If only Gillis could have landed Backes instead of Bernier...
If only Gillis had not made the offer sheet for Backes and exposed Bernier to a retaliatory offer sheet that pushed his salary beyond what was reasonable for such a player.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
they guy has over 300 games played--think it is time to drop him from the prospect list
Bernier is Number 2 on the Suspect List - just behind Kevin Bieksa.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
You cant keep him.. There's no way.. He fits nowhere.

We clearly need to re-tool our 3rd and 4th lines to involve some sort of defensive peeps that can check.

Benier doesn't bring to the table anything we need at this point.

Trade him for a draft pick, or put him on waivers and send him down.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I liked what I saw from him in 08-09 enough that I'd probably be willing to give him the last year of his deal to prove himself again. Bad years happen.

We should have enough cap space to upgrade the blueline without moving Bernier, I wouldn't think.

If Bieksa and Mitchell are gone, sliding (say) Hamhuis and Seidenberg in at about $8.5 million combined is only $1 million more.

If we need space, O'Brien is a much more likely cap casualty. If we add 2 quality guys to Edler/Ehrhoff/Salo, Rome is perfectly capable of being a solid #6 with Alberts as an OK #7. I don't know how likely O'Brien is to be back after everything that happened this season.
Bernier is a $2M 4th liner on a contender - not needed and ties up valuable cap space.

As for the D, accurate assessment by MS - Salo, Ehrhoff and Edler are 9.85 vs 20-21M available for the D. That's 2 solid defenders for sure, almost 3. I've stated before that having 6 top 4, given how many times D men get injured (regardless of the organization), makes great sense. The above + Mitchell-Hamhuis-Michalek would just be insane compared to what we dressed in game 6. And its actually doable if the UFAs are willing to sign here and Gillis is determined to make it happen - I'd hurry and do it before the C$ goes to 1.1 and real estate collapses...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote