HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 7: Flyers @ Bruins - May 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I am attending the viewing party at the Wach. My first "playoff experience" ever. LET'S GO BOYS!

05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sadly, just "ABD" (All But Dissertation). Which means, I still have to write a book. But, the upside is that it means the rest of my graduate experience will be teaching (hopefully, cuz that pays) and reading about stuff I'm actively interested in.

It also means I'm doing jack squat the next few days... I'm generally a low stress person; I haven't been able to sleep well lately prepping for this thing.
That would blow up my mind. Congrats on the hard work paying off.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

vCash: 500

Old
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
What is your doctorate in?

Old
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
What is your doctorate in?
History, and my particular focus is in military/naval history in the early modern period (1500-1800ish) in Europe and the "Atlantic world".

Old
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. Given everything, this isn't a seriously Cup contending team right now.... however, they've shown some serious moxy which is very encouraging for next year. Also, I just passed my PhD exams and get to watch a playoff game with ZEROS stress hanging over me... you can read that as: I will be drinking during tomorrows game.

Thank you for that Flyers.

I wouldn't call the Flyers a contender on paper, but some things are falling into place for them. Montreal's hot but I'd rather face them than Pittsburgh or Washington. We drew NJ in round 1, and now the improbable comeback. Chicago and San Jose could conceivably beat each other senseless in a 7 gamer and even the odds a little for whoever comes out of the East. I'm not sold on the fact that we'll win Friday night, because I've learned the hard way about becoming too optimistic when it comes to our Flyers.

Congrats on the PhD Jester.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
History, and my particular focus is in military/naval history in the early modern period (1500-1800ish) in Europe and the "Atlantic world".
you and i would get along just fine.

damn, just entering this thread has gotten me nervous about the game.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I am attending the viewing party at the Wach. My first "playoff experience" ever. LET'S GO BOYS!

Habs had around 20 000 at the Bell for game 7. I wonder if Pittsburgh had that many at the Igloo?

Old
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Flyers93

Anyone know if it's gonna be close to being packed at the Wach tomorrow?

It's free admission and parking...soo I don't see why it can't be full.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
So then my idea is out the window . I was gonna say do it on the creation, application, and use of statistics in assessing performance in professional athletes. You're halfway to a doctoral dissertation just by copy-n-pasting from the back and forth between me, you and Chris this week.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I wouldn't call the Flyers a contender on paper, but some things are falling into place for them. Montreal's hot but I'd rather face them than Pittsburgh or Washington. We drew NJ in round 1, and now the improbable comeback. Chicago and San Jose could conceivably beat each other senseless in a 7 gamer and even the odds a little for whoever comes out of the East. I'm not sold on the fact that we'll win Friday night, because I've learned the hard way about becoming too optimistic when it comes to our Flyers.
No doubt, you have to like Montreal sitting there. I think Montreal will be the favorite, but all things considered...that's a fantastic matchup in the ECF.

Quote:
Congrats on the PhD Jester.
Danke, but we can hold off for a couple of years. Don't get the PhD until I defend the dissertation. They make you earn that thing.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
Anyone know if it's gonna be close to being packed at the Wach tomorrow?

It's free admission and parking...soo I don't see why it can't be full.
I haven't ever seen one that was full. I think the Joe had the lower level full for the finals one year. Montreal looked crowded for the Caps game this year though...

Old
05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Danke, but we can hold off for a couple of years. Don't get the PhD until I defend the dissertation. They make you earn that thing.
will you be discussing venice?

Old
05-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
So then my idea is out the window . I was gonna say do it on the creation, application, and use of statistics in assessing performance in professional athletes. You're halfway to a doctoral dissertation just by copy-n-pasting from the back and forth between me, you and Chris this week.
My attention to statistics is purely sidebar and intellectual in nature. My undergraduate degree is in computer science (oddly enough), and have a strong basis in math and statistics from that (as well as applied critical reasoning using math).

However, in 10 years I hope I'm telling people about how bat**** awesome Nelson was in 1805, rather than any stat analysis.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
I haven't ever seen one that was full. I think the Joe had the lower level full for the finals one year. Montreal looked crowded for the Caps game this year though...
Yeah, Montreal had the Bell Centre sold out last night, or atleast very, very close. And they charged $7.50 for admission.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
will you be discussing venice?
Nah, my dissertation will be about British policy/strategy during the Napoleonic Wars within an Atlantic context (so, big story type stuff).

Venice actually plays a role in that story from the continental perspective, but doubt I'll pay much attention to what is going on over there.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:56 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

The Fred Shero quote couldn't fit any better than a moment like this:

"Win together today, and we walk together forever."

LETS ****ING MAKE HISTORY BOYS.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1000
Dammit, Barry Melrose picked the Flyers. The same Barry Melrose who said the top four teams in the East were "no question" superior to the bottom four seeds and would win each series. Who are left? 6-7-8. He also picked the Flyers to win Game 7 in Tampa Bay in 2004.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Dammit, Barry Melrose picked the Flyers. The same Barry Melrose who said the top four teams in the East were "no question" superior to the bottom four seeds and would win each series. Who are left? 6-7-8. He also picked the Flyers to win Game 7 in Tampa Bay in 2004.
I guess we shouldn't bother watching the game tomorrow

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-13-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Fixed my grammar
Old
05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Dammit, Barry Melrose picked the Flyers. The same Barry Melrose who said the top four teams in the East were "no question" superior to the bottom four seeds and would win each series. Whose left? 6-7-8. He also picked the Flyers to win Game 7 in Tampa Bay in 2004.
He also said in his chat today on ESPN:

Quote:
I don't think either team will have a problem being focused. Boston has to create some offense somehow. They need to score and score first because the team that scores first will have the advantage.
This is also known as a one-goal advantage. The mystery as to why he isn't coaching receded with each such comment.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Nah, my dissertation will be about British policy/strategy during the Napoleonic Wars within an Atlantic context (so, big story type stuff).

Venice actually plays a role in that story from the continental perspective, but doubt I'll pay much attention to what is going on over there.
roger.

ive always been intrigued by the venetians. entirely driven by business/trade, they set up a prototype of the british empire. the venetian empire is windows 95 to the british empire's XP. that whole Arsenal deal is pretty nifty too, what with their tendency to lose entire fleets and rebuild them stronger in a year.

but yeah, all venice did with napoleon was surrender hard as they could, not much excitement there.

if i ever go for my phD its likely going to involve byzantine/west relations, but im not sure how badly i feel like learning greek in my offtime.

you definitely picked a fun topic, good luck with it!

and go flyers!!!

edit: barry melrose looks like a star trek villain with that goatee.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Are we going to be seeing your ass on the History Channel?

Old
05-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
roger.

ive always been intrigued by the venetians. entirely driven by business/trade, they set up a prototype of the british empire. the venetian empire is windows 95 to the british empire's XP. that whole Arsenal deal is pretty nifty too, what with their tendency to lose entire fleets and rebuild them stronger in a year.

but yeah, all venice did with napoleon was surrender hard as they could, not much excitement there.

if i ever go for my phD its likely going to involve byzantine/west relations, but im not sure how badly i feel like learning greek in my offtime.

you definitely picked a fun topic, good luck with it!

and go flyers!!!

edit: barry melrose looks like a star trek villain with that goatee.
Venice is a really interesting place, but it's also a bit prior to my time period for the most part. They're kind of "there" by the early modern period, and not the power that they were at their apex.

If you are interested in pursuing grad work in that area, language skills are absolutely the area you should think about before anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Are we going to be seeing your ass on the History Channel?
Heh, if you do, you'll never know. I also think the History Channel is (largely) crap. They do a lot of bad history in those programs.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:09 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Here we go. DO IT!

Old
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Heh, if you do, you'll never know. I also think the History Channel is (largely) crap. They do a lot of bad history in those programs.
If you were, I would hope you would let us all know. But then Kaktus might make fun of you about that in some way and get raged.

I'm taking a Dinosaur class and my professor was on the History Channel talking about dinosaurs. That was pretty cool, but yeah even as a casual viewer a lot of things seem glossed over or with a slight spin there.

Closed Thread