HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 7: Flyers @ Bruins - May 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
  #51
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Venice is a really interesting place, but it's also a bit prior to my time period for the most part. They're kind of "there" by the early modern period, and not the power that they were at their apex.

If you are interested in pursuing grad work in that area, language skills are absolutely the area you should think about before anything else.



Heh, if you do, you'll never know. I also think the History Channel is (largely) crap. They do a lot of bad history in those programs.
yeah the Venetians and other trading power in Italy were finished when new trade routes were discovered, their wealth just dissolved away...same thing was pretty crippling to the Ottomans and whoever was running Egypt at the time (don't recall.)

I've focused a lot on Roman history, up through the Byzantine empire, which kept me up to speed on Venice and stuff. I've only got a rudimentary understanding of Brit history after Elizabeth though, and almost nothing from 1820ish-1914.

i've made up for it by using HBO's documentary to educate myself in the field of Flyers lore.

oops edit: ive got enough latin knowledge to translate most documents (rudimentarily) given enough time and effort, its pretty much just my complete lack of greek that hamstrings me.

and yeah, **** the history channel.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
  #52
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
If you were, I would hope you would let us all know. But then Kaktus might make fun of you about that in some way and get raged.

I'm taking a Dinosaur class and my professor was on the History Channel talking about dinosaurs. That was pretty cool, but yeah even as a casual viewer a lot of things seem glossed over or with a slight spin there.
It's nothing to do with the contributors and what they say, it's just that the overall presentation ends up not doing a good job, IMO. Some are better than others, but I've seen a few of their things that were just brutal (particularly one on the Battle of Hastings). It's just the nature of that public consumption history, and having people that know history but don't know the history they're talking about involved. A lot of times you have someone that is quite brilliant on one subject just talking about something that is completely out of their range...

Jester is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:26 PM
  #53
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
yeah the Venetians and other trading power in Italy were finished when new trade routes were discovered, their wealth just dissolved away...same thing was pretty crippling to the Ottomans and whoever was running Egypt at the time (don't recall.)

I've focused a lot on Roman history, up through the Byzantine empire, which kept me up to speed on Venice and stuff. I've only got a rudimentary understanding of Brit history after Elizabeth though, and almost nothing from 1820ish-1914.

i've made up for it by using HBO's documentary to educate myself in the field of Flyers lore.
I will tell you that a lot of departments would probably be thrilled to get someone coming in that subject area...as it's a lowly represented area. The problem would be that you seem to be somewhere between the history and ancient history department area.

You're thinking of the Marmaluks I'm assuming.

And while I think new trade routes were probably a key factor there, it was also a matter of the expansion of maritime technology. The Venetians and then the Portuguese did a very good job of maintaining a maritime advantage over Europe for some time before losing it...but once it was gone, they were F'd.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:27 PM
  #54
Flyers93
Registered User
 
Flyers93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Jeez, who knew a Philadelphia Flyers gameday thread for a Game 7 in which we came back from being down 0-3 to tie a series could turn into such an intellectual discussion.

Flyers93 is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:28 PM
  #55
FlyersCup08
Registered User
 
FlyersCup08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Forwards:
Left Wing Center Right Wing
Blake Wheeler Patrice Bergeron Mark Recchi
Milan Lucic Marc Savard Miroslav Satan
Daniel Paille Vladimir Sobotka Michael Ryder
Steve Begin Trent Whitfield Shawn Thornton

I'm sure the Flyers won't be over-confident and won't take the Bruins lightly but:

Those Bruins forwards flat out SUCK. They suck and there's no two ways about it. They're awful.

Here's a summary of the best Boston forwards:

Recchi can tap a goal into an open net.
Lucic can camp in front and has a hard shot but is so god damn slow.
Bergeron can win faceoffs.
Savard is a great passer and can't control himself.
Satan can finish here and there but is so slow and soft.

Here's the worst:

Sobotka - worse than Ross
Paille - slightly slower version of Powe with worse hands
Wheeler - big and slow but too slow to use his size
Ryder - how was he ever good?
Begin - did he suck this bad in Montreal?
Whitfield - if he gets 10 breakaways - he still won't score
Thronton - sucked 3 years ago - now he's a joke

No joke the Bruins have 7 forwards that are horrible. The only guy of those 7 that could even play for the Flyers in place of Nodl is maybe, maybe Wheeler.

I'm not going to make any predictions other than to state that these forwards suck and will continue to suck. Effort only goes so far. The Flyers will not only match but surpass the Bruins effort. That is my prediction. I am confident. That is all.
As a group, they're not very good. But Bergeron is pretty good, can't knock him, and Satan was only good with Krejci, he's a shell of himself without him. There is no way Sabotka's worse than Ross, cmon. Savard is still not even close to 100%, and as he is he's a pretty insignificant player. Recchi's their smartest player, which is why he seems to find the back of the net. Ryder and Wheeler suck.

But Boston's forwards are pretty much (except for Satan, Ryder, and Wheeler) all very good at buying into Julien's system defensively, which makes them a potent opponent if they get a one or two goal lead.

They're not a powerhouse up front, but there's a reason they're in Game 7 of the second round. They don't all suck.

Okay, after throwing up for defending Boston, lemme say **** all of them and I can't wait to see their faces after the Flyers mop up tomorrow night.

FlyersCup08 is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
  #56
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I'm a little concerned honestly. The Flyers have yet to see a BRuins team up against elimination. They've seen our best shot. Granted, they have lost the last three, but they know what to expect. I don't think the Flyers have seen Boston's best game yet. I hope they can weather the storm of the first five minutes tomorrow and then pot a couple quick one's, get everybody thinking about golf.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:43 PM
  #57
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'm a little concerned honestly. The Flyers have yet to see a BRuins team up against elimination. They've seen our best shot. Granted, they have lost the last three, but they know what to expect. I don't think the Flyers have seen Boston's best game yet. I hope they can weather the storm of the first five minutes tomorrow and then pot a couple quick one's, get everybody thinking about golf.
This. After being ever hopeful the last 3 games and knowing the boys could win them, I'm finally nervous! I hope the Flyers come out fighting and playing that great uptempo game, keeping the puck in the B's end.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is online now  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
  #58
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I will tell you that a lot of departments would probably be thrilled to get someone coming in that subject area...as it's a lowly represented area. The problem would be that you seem to be somewhere between the history and ancient history department area.

You're thinking of the Marmaluks I'm assuming.

And while I think new trade routes were probably a key factor there, it was also a matter of the expansion of maritime technology. The Venetians and then the Portuguese did a very good job of maintaining a maritime advantage over Europe for some time before losing it...but once it was gone, they were F'd.
actually, the reason im not wrapping up grad school right now is that not a single school accepted me (so much for that 650/630 GRE), according to what they told me when i asked, is that i didn't really fit in to a program there. my supposed safety school, VT, actually told me they rejected me for my own good...unfortunately i didnt get into UPenn, despite family tradition, because i really just am not qualified to jump into grad there.

the venetians were real awesome at building galleys, but galleys arent so awesome at doing anything outside the Med, or compared to anything built but the continental powers in the 16th century on. its weird to me that such an innovative society couldnt adapt, but i guess by that point their naval tradition was too firmly entrenched.

and yeah, Mamluks

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-13-2010, 11:51 PM
  #59
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'm a little concerned honestly. The Flyers have yet to see a BRuins team up against elimination. They've seen our best shot. Granted, they have lost the last three, but they know what to expect. I don't think the Flyers have seen Boston's best game yet. I hope they can weather the storm of the first five minutes tomorrow and then pot a couple quick one's, get everybody thinking about golf.
ive tried not to think about this, but it lingers in the back of my mind.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
  #60
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,882
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
Jeez, who knew a Philadelphia Flyers gameday thread for a Game 7 in which we came back from being down 0-3 to tie a series could turn into such an intellectual discussion.
Ever see "Little Big League?" When right before the playoff game instead of concentrating on the game, they're trying to help Billy with his homework....

GKJ is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:01 AM
  #61
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
actually, the reason im not wrapping up grad school right now is that not a single school accepted me (so much for that 650/630 GRE), according to what they told me when i asked, is that i didn't really fit in to a program there. my supposed safety school, VT, actually told me they rejected me for my own good...unfortunately i didnt get into UPenn, despite family tradition, because i really just am not qualified to jump into grad there.

the venetians were real awesome at building galleys, but galleys arent so awesome at doing anything outside the Med, or compared to anything built but the continental powers in the 16th century on. its weird to me that such an innovative society couldnt adapt, but i guess by that point their naval tradition was too firmly entrenched.

and yeah, Mamluks
Yeah, you seem like a tweener, and the department system is basically completely ****ed for handling people that don't fit their pigeon holes.

Did you apply to Ohio St?

Jester is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
  #62
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, you seem like a tweener, and the department system is basically completely ****ed for handling people that don't fit their pigeon holes.

Did you apply to Ohio St?
i didnt, but i kind of wish i did. im not sure how i overlooked them, but i realized a year after the fact i should have probably applied. i dont really remember for sure where i applied anymore, but the ones i remember are UNC, Maryland, Penn, VT. there were others scattered in, but the whole experience frustrated me enough that ive tried to ignore it.

i might be working at UMD soon, and if that happens, ill definitely go for it again...but this time ill pick an established time period and stick with it.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:09 AM
  #63
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Please please win. This is going to make a great story once we win the cup.

DeadPhish5858 is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:09 AM
  #64
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i didnt, but i kind of wish i did. im not sure how i overlooked them, but i realized a year after the fact i should have probably applied. i dont really remember for sure where i applied anymore, but the ones i remember are UNC, Maryland, Penn, VT. there were others scattered in, but the whole experience frustrated me enough that ive tried to ignore it.

i might be working at UMD soon, and if that happens, ill definitely go for it again...but this time ill pick an established time period and stick with it.
Well, the reason I ask is because this dude: http://history.osu.edu/people/person.cfm?ID=691

wrote an entire book on galley fleets. So, if you're interested in galleys I would play that up and get in touch with him. I find the book irritating because he's way too happy with himself while writing it, but it's right up your alley.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:21 AM
  #65
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Anyone going to watch it at the center?

Slowbro is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:21 AM
  #66
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Anyone going to watch it at the center?
Yessir, I'll be tailgating around 4

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:21 AM
  #67
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
As a group, they're not very good. But Bergeron is pretty good, can't knock him, and Satan was only good with Krejci, he's a shell of himself without him. There is no way Sabotka's worse than Ross, cmon. Savard is still not even close to 100%, and as he is he's a pretty insignificant player. Recchi's their smartest player, which is why he seems to find the back of the net. Ryder and Wheeler suck.

But Boston's forwards are pretty much (except for Satan, Ryder, and Wheeler) all very good at buying into Julien's system defensively, which makes them a potent opponent if they get a one or two goal lead.

They're not a powerhouse up front, but there's a reason they're in Game 7 of the second round. They don't all suck.

Okay, after throwing up for defending Boston, lemme say **** all of them and I can't wait to see their faces after the Flyers mop up tomorrow night.

I'm beginning to question your resolve. So they buy into a system - the Devils had a system with better forwards and defense. Julien is such a genius he has rolled the same lines three games in a row and we know how they all turned out. Laviolette is a better coach and the Flyers are a better team. No, they don't all suck but many of them do.

+/- rankings out of 341 players

Sobotka -10 341 and DEAD LAST give him more ice time Julien you turd!
Ference -8 339 and 3rd from LAST
Wheeler -6 334
Begin -6 331
McQuaid -4 325
Ryder -4 308

JVR -4 worst Flyer

I'm not big into stats but when I sorted +/- from the bottom up all these BOS names jumped out at me...

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
  #68
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the reason I ask is because this dude: http://history.osu.edu/people/person.cfm?ID=691

wrote an entire book on galley fleets. So, if you're interested in galleys I would play that up and get in touch with him. I find the book irritating because he's way too happy with himself while writing it, but it's right up your alley.
ah, i was originally referred there by a professor i know. he said i might be a good fit there, but i've been a lazy jackass and havent looked further into it. thanks for the link though, i'm going to see if i can get that Gunpowder and Galleys book.


edit for pertinent content: having laviolette as our coach gives me a huge boost of confidence in this team. i'm pretty sure he can find a way to pull this out. unlike that stevens guy.

edit 2: http://www.amazon.com/Gunpowder-Gall...3815190&sr=8-1 holy ****, 100 bucks for a book!??


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-14-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:28 AM
  #69
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I'm beginning to question your resolve. So they buy into a system - the Devils had a system with better forwards and defense. Julien is such a genius he has rolled the same lines three games in a row and we know how they all turned out. Laviolette is a better coach and the Flyers are a better team. No, they don't all suck but many of them do.

+/- rankings out of 341 players

Sobotka -10 341 and DEAD LAST give him more ice time Julien you turd!
Ference -8 339 and 3rd from LAST
Wheeler -6 334
Begin -6 331
McQuaid -4 325
Ryder -4 308

JVR -4 worst Flyer

I'm not big into stats but when I sorted +/- from the bottom up all these BOS names jumped out at me...
So basically, whatever you do, don't give them power plays and you'll be in pretty good shape.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:41 AM
  #70
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
ah, i was originally referred there by a professor i know. he said i might be a good fit there, but i've been a lazy jackass and havent looked further into it. thanks for the link though, i'm going to see if i can get that Gunpowder and Galleys book.


edit for pertinent content: having laviolette as our coach gives me a huge boost of confidence in this team. i'm pretty sure he can find a way to pull this out. unlike that stevens guy.

edit 2: http://www.amazon.com/Gunpowder-Gall...3815190&sr=8-1 holy ****, 100 bucks for a book!??
First rule of graduate school: get everything from the library. Horribly overpriced books. OSU has a really strong graduate program as far as placement. If you're more interested in military history I would suggest looking at Temple, too. They have a strong cadre of military folk, and student body. However, it's VERY modern, so they won't serve you well on that front.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM
  #71
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
So basically, whatever you do, don't give them power plays and you'll be in pretty good shape.
They're dead to rights at this point. They obviously can win a Game 7, but I don't see how the Bruins can get through another series with the way that team has played sand Krejci.

They should let us go on just because we have a chance...especially if Carter makes a miraculous comeback.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM
  #72
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Anyone going to watch it at the center?
I would, but HD, beer, and a comfy chair are too appealing.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM
  #73
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
First rule of graduate school: get everything from the library. Horribly overpriced books. OSU has a really strong graduate program as far as placement. If you're more interested in military history I would suggest looking at Temple, too. They have a strong cadre of military folk, and student body. However, it's VERY modern, so they won't serve you well on that front.
thank you sir.

im actually considering hopping by VT's library and seeing if i can get that book through library loan, since im staff.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:45 AM
  #74
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Anyone going to watch it at the center?
I will most likely be there.

ShawnTHW is offline  
Old
05-14-2010, 12:46 AM
  #75
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
thank you sir.

im actually considering hopping by VT's library and seeing if i can get that book through library loan, since im staff.
I'm sure they can. I got it via EZ-Borrow when I read it.

Jester is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.