HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group C • 05/13/10 • Sweden 1, Czech Republic 2

View Poll Results: Winner?
Sweden 17 73.91%
Czech Republic 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

vCash: 500
Yeah Hedman was solid, much better than Karlsson.
Niklas Persson and Omark both had a pretty decent game imo.

Old
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
We have no scorer without Weinhandl.
True, Weinhandl was the go-to-guy in the goalscoring department. All we need now is for Gustavsson to get injured so the circle of ****** can be completed.

Congrats to Czech, the team looked great today, keep on trucking

Old
05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post

And give Hedman a break, he's having some trouble switching back to the big ice but he's been rock solid on the pk and has stood up for Gustavsson several times.
He's sucked in Tampa too, been an healthy scratch on that defensively challenged sorry excuse for an NHL-team.

Old
05-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Swipes

vCash: 250
I'm pleasantly surprised to find that we won Can anyone tell me how we played? I missed the game

Old
05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13goleafsgo13 View Post
How has gunnarsson and the monster played

Gunnarsson? Soft soft soft but decent.

Old
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
He's sucked in Tampa too, been an healthy scratch on that defensively challenged sorry excuse for an NHL-team.
He far from "sucked". Obviously you didn't watch TB alot or/and you dislike Hedman for some reason.

Old
05-13-2010, 06:15 PM
DrCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
He far from "sucked". Obviously you didn't watch TB alot or/and you dislike Hedman for some reason.
Probably both. But expect nothing else from bilros/Nordic. When his mind gets stuck on something he won't let something like....you know...the truth get in his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipes View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised to find that we won Can anyone tell me how we played? I missed the game
You guys deserved the win I think. Skated well in the first two periods and the swedes had problems getting traffic in front of the net. Got to enjoy a player like Jagr. He's obviously lost a step or two but still a real treat to watch at times. Rolinek also had a good game. As for the swedes, you gotta love OEL. How good is this kid? Answer - really good.

Old
05-13-2010, 06:38 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
hey fans,

i attended this game, wondered where are the backstroms and forsbergs can u give me a little info.

Old
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Le JavJav

I didn't get to watch this game, but I'm excited at all the positive feed back on OEL.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I respectfully disagree with you.

For being a European rookie, who hasn't played a day in NA, he has more than exceeded the expectations put upon on him. Most European players need to play in the minors for quite some time to even get what is happening on an NHL sized rink, especially defenders.

Hedman has done well, and in the WCH he is still adjusting, which was very obvious on a couple of occassions when the Czech forwards snuck by him on the outside.

I do like OEL. I like him a lot, but playing in HA is quite different from playing a long grueling season in the NHL. The benefit is of course that OEL has had more time to practice and most likely built up a little bit better confidence. But, to compare the two right now is a bit odd. Just wait and see how OEL will do in the NHL. I have no doubt he will be a mega star, but I'd lie if I told you it would happen over night.

Like all other rookies, such as Hedman, OEL will have stretches of awesome, good, decent, bad, and awful games. Managing the ups and downs is half the trick in that 82 game marathon.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Mr Sakich

question for the Swede fans - are MPS and Omark ready for the NHL?

Old
05-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
hey fans,

i attended this game, wondered where are the backstroms and forsbergs can u give me a little info.
Backstrom is missing due to a shoulder injury

Old
05-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
MPS have the speed to play in the NHL, he need to get better around the boards though and practice on his finishing ability. If he does he will fare great over there. He's the most talented offensive player coming out from Sweden since Bäckström.

Omark - I don't think so. He's to weak IMO. Maybe if he plays in the right system, i don't know.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
We have no scorer without Weinhandl.
That sounds terrible when you think of it.

EDIT: Although we have no business in this tournament, ones gotta like the fact that our young players, our leaders for the future, outshines the supposedly "veteran" players like Mårtensson. Seriously, is there a weaker player in hockey, i would like to hear of him.

MPS and OEL have been the best players for Sweden, with Gustavsson closing in. That's the only positives.

Old
05-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Omark is not NHL material right now. He has some hands and some imaginiation for sure, allowing him to shine a bit, but he si way too passive without the puck, and defensively he will be a nightmare. Omark will need to spend some time in the AHL before he cracks a first or second line in the NHL on a regular basis. My guess is that he gives it a bit of a try, get sick of it and move back to Europe to cash in on the talents he has.

MPS can be all that and a bag of chips, but he has to learn how to fire on all cylinders, every moment, every shift. He has the tools to frustrate and expose any NHL defender but he needs to learn how to consistently challenge them, intimidate them with his speed and skill, torpedo the damn net with himself and the puck, instead of going behind and around it. Like many Swedes, he doesn't see the path through his guy as an option, but keeps searching for a way around him, allowing defenders to stop the attack by simply staying in position and keeping a stick in the passing lane. Having said that, plain mean attitude is something many kids in the NHL can develop quickly, and if he gets that, he will be awesome.

Old
05-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Pwnator

Quote:
MPS needs a year in the AHL, he's too soft and needs to learn the NA game style. Still destined to be a great player in the end though.

Omark is as ready as he will ever get, he is good at protecting the puck, has great balance and quick hands, and would actually benefit from playing on a smaller ice surface. I'm not sure that he would be as good as some people expect him to be though. He is an east-west kind of player and I'm not sure how he would fit inte the north-south game.

Old
05-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Neblod Zin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnator View Post
MPS needs a year in the AHL, he's too soft and needs to learn the NA game style. Still destined to be a great player in the end though.

Omark is as ready as he will ever get, he is good at protecting the puck, has great balance and quick hands, and would actually benefit from playing on a smaller ice surface. I'm not sure that he would be as good as some people expect him to be though. He is an east-west kind of player and I'm not sure how he would fit inte the north-south game.
There's no way that MPS is going to AHL - I think his playing style already fits the NHL. He's probably been the best Swedish forward in this tourney, and that says a bit about his current skill level. If he isn't going to NHL, then he is playing in SEL.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
MPS have the speed to play in the NHL, he need to get better around the boards though and practice on his finishing ability. If he does he will fare great over there. He's the most talented offensive player coming out from Sweden since Bäckström.

Omark - I don't think so. He's to weak IMO. Maybe if he plays in the right system, i don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Omark is not NHL material right now. He has some hands and some imaginiation for sure, allowing him to shine a bit, but he si way too passive without the puck, and defensively he will be a nightmare. Omark will need to spend some time in the AHL before he cracks a first or second line in the NHL on a regular basis. My guess is that he gives it a bit of a try, get sick of it and move back to Europe to cash in on the talents he has.

MPS can be all that and a bag of chips, but he has to learn how to fire on all cylinders, every moment, every shift. He has the tools to frustrate and expose any NHL defender but he needs to learn how to consistently challenge them, intimidate them with his speed and skill, torpedo the damn net with himself and the puck, instead of going behind and around it. Like many Swedes, he doesn't see the path through his guy as an option, but keeps searching for a way around him, allowing defenders to stop the attack by simply staying in position and keeping a stick in the passing lane. Having said that, plain mean attitude is something many kids in the NHL can develop quickly, and if he gets that, he will be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnator View Post

I agree with Crazyhorze and Ribban. MPS is ready or at least very close. Omark has serious questionmarks around him, I doubt he will ever be ready.

I do not agree really with "Pwnator" that MPS needs a year in the AHL. Maybe a month or two, if he doesn't make the Oilers out of camp. Omark is the more "european"style player of the two, and will need more time to get used to the NA game. The question is, will he accept being sent to the AHL? I doubt it.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Watched around 10 games this season + all the NHL.COm highlights where he continuesly got beat by average players.

I stand by my statement, he lacks vision, hockeysense and "smarts".

Quote:
Omark needs to improve his shot- right now he basically needs to skate the puck over the goal line to score. Omark seems to have regressed in Russia, was better when he played in the SEL.

MPS. This is going to sound weird, but he needs to work on his stickhandling (and balance/strenght)
I can see him becoming a Gagne kind of player. Never elite, but a few seasons sniffing 95-100 points

They should both make the NHL, given the fact that.....well....it's Edmonton

Old
05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
SWEDES

And it won't be even close. It is a plain fact they just know our button. Their organized and patient play makes our skill players frustrated and we don't even have any skill or quality players this year (okay Jágr and Voráček, but that is it, Marek is a total fairy!).

Just as well as Swedes can't beat Russians to save their lives we can't beat Swedes to save ours. That is a fact. We beat them on those silly Euro hockey tour just to lose the only match of the season that matters to them (WCHamps) year by year.

We lose to them on big tournaments on regular basis even with our A-teams (we might outshoot them, outplay them, but they just find the way to win and that's the only thing that matters), so we have no business lumbering any points out of them with this C-team we have this year.

Sad but. We're going to go further with 0 points and will get smacked by Danes, Canadians etc. and then whacked by Russians in the 1/4 finals and then this misery will be finally over.
I think you should now make an apology to our players for writing this.

Closed Thread