HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drilling Sweat / Vent holes In Skate Bottoms???

Old
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
drgnarr

vCash: 500
Drilling Sweat / Vent holes In Skate Bottoms???

I am getting excess sweat and moisture in my skates, Bauer 7000's. I know some skates have a pattern of holes drilled in the bottoms to drain sweat and ventilate. The question is...........Can anyone offer any advice? Side of holes, pattern, how many, etc.?

Thanks

drgnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

My Wayne Primeau Bauer XXXX (40s) have 4 very small holes drilled into the bottom center of the boots. the holes look like they were drilled with a dremle tool so they are small like around 1/16"

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:28 AM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Don't drill through the towers of the holder and you are fine. A couple holes right in the arch isn't going to kill a skate.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:29 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Extremely common thing to do.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:52 AM
HowToHockey

Yup, just drill a few near the middle.

Didn't this start when the flyers and penguins went to 5 O.T's and the trainers started drilling holes in the players skates.

After that the companies started making skates with holes in them..

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Gino 14

Why not do the right thing and remove the insoles and let the air get in to dry the skates? I guarantee you that the skates will dry better than putting 4 or 5 tiny holes in the skate.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:40 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Why not do the right thing and remove the insoles and let the air get in to dry the skates? I guarantee you that the skates will dry better than putting 4 or 5 tiny holes in the skate.
Its not for drying afterwards, its for extra ventilation while wearing them.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Its not for drying afterwards, its for extra ventilation while wearing them.
Yeah, I'm sure the air will just flow right through the insoles that cover the holes, through your socks, and in through the skates and flood your foot with fresh air.

You were joking, weren't you? If you were serious, well, that's just sad..

Old
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the air will just flow right through the insoles that cover the holes, through your socks, and in through the skates and flood your foot with fresh air.
I'm with Gino on this one, I don't think it's not going to ventilate your skates that much, and it also could damage the intregrity of the skate.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
jsykes

Quote:

You were joking, weren't you? If you were serious, well, that's just sad..
I am serious. Its not for drying afterwards, as you said, what good is that going to do? I also never said it was to flood your foot with fresh air.

Its been an option with custom skates for years, its on many, many pro skates and its now been added by Bauer to the TotalOne as one of the most commonly asked for custom options.

Quote:
Outsole

Lightweight full NEW Vented Texalium Composite
Easton is adding a similar item on their new EQ5 skates.

Quote:
TEXALIUM COMPOSITE OUTSOLE
This new lightweight, stiff design adds composite power and Easton’s Dry Flow™ sets the standard for improved moisture management
I've seen the skate and in their case its even more of a vent that is supposed to direct air in, not just holes like in Bauer's case. With it being a "scoop" that faces forward, that is indicative of it being to direct air in while moving, not something for when the skate is static and sitting.

When I remove my footbed after a game, the entire bottom of the boot is wet, so yes, sweat does soak through the insole and get between it and the boot.

How effective the holes are I cant really say, but yes, I'm serious. It wont do crap as you say for drying afterward because removing the footbed is far more effective, but they are there to help ventilate the boot while its being worn.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I am serious. Its not for drying afterwards, as you said, what good is that going to do? I also never said it was to flood your foot with fresh air.

Its been an option with custom skates for years, its on many, many pro skates and its now been added by Bauer to the TotalOne as one of the most commonly asked for custom options.

Easton is adding a similar item on their new EQ5 skates.

I've seen the skate and in their case its even more of a vent that is supposed to direct air in, not just holes like in Bauer's case. With it being a "scoop" that faces forward, that is indicative of it being to direct air in while moving, not something for when the skate is static and sitting.

When I remove my footbed after a game, the entire bottom of the boot is wet, so yes, sweat does soak through the insole and get between it and the boot.

How effective the holes are I cant really say, but yes, I'm serious. It wont do crap as you say for drying afterward because removing the footbed is far more effective, but they are there to help ventilate the boot while its being worn.
There's a sucker born every minute. That has to be one of the most ridiculous gimmicks I've heard in a long time. It's funny the crap people will buy with no regard for common sense.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
forbs02
Blergh

The holes aren't for ventilation, they are for drainage. After you skate and pull your footbed out, there is going to be a lot of moisture in there. The holes allow some of that sweat to drain out while you are playing. The holes will not affect the integrity of the outsole. Every pro stock skate comes with drilled holes and now a lot of high-end stock skates come with them.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I've never heard of someone sweating so much that they have to drill holes in there skate so it can drain out like there is really a inch of sweat in there or something.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
The holes aren't for ventilation, they are for drainage. After you skate and pull your footbed out, there is going to be a lot of moisture in there. The holes allow some of that sweat to drain out while you are playing. The holes will not affect the integrity of the outsole. Every pro stock skate comes with drilled holes and now a lot of high-end stock skates come with them.
Interesting. So you have socks and a footbed that both soak up sweat, and the footbed effectively covers the holes to prevent drainage, and this is now on every pro stock skate? I'll bet there are people out there just wetting their pants to get a pair of these. So, how much drainage does a player expect to see? 50% or better? That must translate into a tremendous increase in speed due to the loss of weight from all the moisture.

Any problems with puddles on the ice from the skates draining?

Old
05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Guys, its for draining sweat, especially for pros or players who are skating every day of the week and yes, do sweat a ton in skates. The vent mentioned above by Easton is more of a scoop, but its debatable how effective it is.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Heat McManus

If you're doing it for ventilation during play then it's not going to do much.

As previously posted, it's for drainage after you skate. Every little bit helps keep rivets in shape and the sole from breaking down.

If you're not a real heavy sweater then it's not really going to do much, but if you want to try it won't damage the sole if done properly.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:18 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
It helps in limiting swamp-foot, it drains excess sweat.

I have never seen a used skate for any pro that did not have the holes drilled in the outsole... and I've seen NHL players in retail skates. It's one of the first things the EQM does to the skates.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:13 PM
LarryO

But pros don't have to worry about their skates breaking down prematurely so the fact that pros do this is not a very good example.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Gino 14

"Seems like a good idea" and "actually proven to be effective" are two different animals. But hey, the pros do it so it must be the right thing to do.

Ever stand in the shower with your foot over the drain and watch the water back up? Now think about 3 or 4 tiny holes in your skate bed, covered over with the in sole, draining out the sweat that's soaked into the skate, your socks, and the foot bed. End result is weakening a high stress area in your skates and no drainage, but you're doing what all the pro guys do.

Old
05-14-2010, 06:49 AM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I've never heard of someone sweating so much that they have to drill holes in there skate so it can drain out like there is really a inch of sweat in there or something.
Perhaps you have heard of Nikolai Khabibulin?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...khabibulin_to/

KerPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Crosbyfan

I doubt their is any liquid moisture "drained", but I bet it works to some extent as water vapour is driven off due to the temperature gradient-warm foot to cold rink air-even though the holes are pretty small.

This process also cools the foot, so it may reduce sweating as well...again, in a small way.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
"Seems like a good idea" and "actually proven to be effective" are two different animals. But hey, the pros do it so it must be the right thing to do.

Ever stand in the shower with your foot over the drain and watch the water back up? Now think about 3 or 4 tiny holes in your skate bed, covered over with the in sole, draining out the sweat that's soaked into the skate, your socks, and the foot bed. End result is weakening a high stress area in your skates and no drainage, but you're doing what all the pro guys do.
There's the Equipment Managers meeting in June in Florida. I'm sure they'd love your companionship and expertise.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
But pros don't have to worry about their skates breaking down prematurely so the fact that pros do this is not a very good example.
I've never seen a skate break down in this area due to drilling. I've seen it break down in the area around the rivets more often. If you're really worried about that then you should get your rivets replaced more often.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
There's the Equipment Managers meeting in June in Florida. I'm sure they'd love your companionship and expertise.
Does it bother you that I'm not a mindless sheep, that I dare to question something like this? I know when people have original thoughts and they question others, they intimidate others not capable of thinking on their own.

Old
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
i'm with this guy.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote