HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
  #1
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations

After being acquired in a draft-day trade, Brodziak scored a career-high 32 points, finished -3 and was shuffled along various lines throughout the year. Rather streaky, Kyle had stretches where he would be invisible for a month followed by a week long scoring streak. With that said, without Belanger and most likely Ebbett, what are your expectations for Brodziak next year?

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
  #2
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
More of the same. He'll probably get more ice and better linemates that he deserves, and that will pad his stats.

If you look hard at what Brodziak did last year, he was a disappointment. His goal total was the lowest of his career, and that was playing with better linemates and ice time. his stone hands were very evident. And most importantly, he was far from a faceoff ace. In fact his numbers short handed, and cumulatively, were borderline poor.

With that said he has the potential to bounce back to an Edmonton level of play, but even that is not the improvement over it that we wanted to see.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
  #3
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
That's not true at all - 0 and 1 are fewer than 9.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
  #4
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Kyle was brought in as a depth forward familiar with Todd Richards and the system he planned on using, with the versatility to play all 3 forward positions(though he played C exclusively). Its not his fault that at times he was our 2nd best center, but he clearly does not belong in the top-6. The line of him, Kobasew, and Clutterbuck played fairly well, and could be re-united next year as our 3rd line.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
  #5
Goldy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
He's a third liner, nothing more. He's a good fit for the system, and we got him for next to nothing. Not a bad pickup, but not a difference maker either.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
  #6
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I expect Brodziak to play a 3rd line center taking big draws and playing the PK. That's where he's a good fit and that's where he will hopefully play.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
  #7
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Brodz doesn't have the hands to be anything more than our checking line center. So, as long as he keeps doing what he does, then I'm fine with that.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:16 AM
  #8
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
He wants to have his checking role back, and that was quoted by Russo from him. He isn't meant to be a scorer nor play the kind of minutes he was playing. Basically he needs to be 3rd line with Clutterbuck and probably Kobasew next year.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
  #9
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

Edit: Wellman obviously, not Weller.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
  #10
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

Edit: Wellman obviously, not Weller.
I could see this, but he's also Richard's favorite guy, so we know he'll get plenty of minutes.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
  #11
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

Edit: Wellman obviously, not Weller.
What two can score??? Wellman could score, but Clutterbuck still can't hit the broad side of a barn if he tried. .096% shooting. 136 Shots on Goal with only 13 goals.....

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
  #12
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
  #13
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.
18 SOG @ .056%. Considering linemates....that isn't too bad.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
  #14
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Wellman has speed and a fantastic shot. If he gets stronger he'll be just fine. Few people enter the NHL at their peak.

Clutterbuck also has an amazing shot, top three on the team IMO. His biggest problem is not being able to bring the puck into the offensive zone or getting into scoring position. Sometimes he will sneak a goal with a wrist shot from the top of the circles at a funny angle...which is very impressive considering he's facing NHL goalies. But he's going to have to get into the slot to score more goals, and he'll have to play with guys that can hold onto and dish the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
  #15
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 24,065
vCash: 50
Brodziak's hands are really, really bad. I think he's a valuable guy to have (an upgrade over Veillieux, who I also appreciated) but he has no ability to steer the puck whatsoever. I expect he'll be in a defensive role most of the time. He has the hustle to get into some decent scoring positions but just can't capitalize! If i wasn't as worried about his passing accuracy in those situations I'd say pair him with a speedy scorer (wellman) and just tell him to dish it to whoever is closest to the net.

Clutterbuck has no aim either. Players have said he has an excellent shot and we can see it from time to time but...I don't see him effective as the guy who looks to get in a scoring position as his main objective. Stick to what you're great at, and work on that aim. I expect his goal totals will go up marginally next season and his hitting will decrease a little.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:23 PM
  #16
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
  #17
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 24,065
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.
I know! i've been trying to wrap my head around the difference. he's got a quick shot in both but the accuracy isn't there in-game. Like you said it has to be a mindset thing--in practice and warmups he's obviously not looking to lay anyone out or worried about retributive hits but if you play like he does, i can see having a larger part of your attention focused on tracking potential hitters/hittees.

I like his focus where it is now, though. As a great hitter clutterbuck energizes the rest of the team and more than a few times has kept the home crowd from turning ugly while we struggled on the scoreboard. Also forces the other team to get off their game sometimes. That said, we do need more scoring...

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:58 AM
  #18
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.
Because he's tired and he doesn't have time to think about what he's actually doing. Plus he doesn't normally have someone poke checking him to beat hell either

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.