Notices

5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations

Old
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations

After being acquired in a draft-day trade, Brodziak scored a career-high 32 points, finished -3 and was shuffled along various lines throughout the year. Rather streaky, Kyle had stretches where he would be invisible for a month followed by a week long scoring streak. With that said, without Belanger and most likely Ebbett, what are your expectations for Brodziak next year?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
State of Hockey

More of the same. He'll probably get more ice and better linemates that he deserves, and that will pad his stats.

If you look hard at what Brodziak did last year, he was a disappointment. His goal total was the lowest of his career, and that was playing with better linemates and ice time. his stone hands were very evident. And most importantly, he was far from a faceoff ace. In fact his numbers short handed, and cumulatively, were borderline poor.

With that said he has the potential to bounce back to an Edmonton level of play, but even that is not the improvement over it that we wanted to see.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's not true at all - 0 and 1 are fewer than 9.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
saywut

Kyle was brought in as a depth forward familiar with Todd Richards and the system he planned on using, with the versatility to play all 3 forward positions(though he played C exclusively). Its not his fault that at times he was our 2nd best center, but he clearly does not belong in the top-6. The line of him, Kobasew, and Clutterbuck played fairly well, and could be re-united next year as our 3rd line.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Goldy

He's a third liner, nothing more. He's a good fit for the system, and we got him for next to nothing. Not a bad pickup, but not a difference maker either.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
mnwildgophers

I expect Brodziak to play a 3rd line center taking big draws and playing the PK. That's where he's a good fit and that's where he will hopefully play.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Brodz doesn't have the hands to be anything more than our checking line center. So, as long as he keeps doing what he does, then I'm fine with that.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:16 AM
BigT2002

He wants to have his checking role back, and that was quoted by Russo from him. He isn't meant to be a scorer nor play the kind of minutes he was playing. Basically he needs to be 3rd line with Clutterbuck and probably Kobasew next year.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

Edit: Wellman obviously, not Weller.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

I could see this, but he's also Richard's favorite guy, so we know he'll get plenty of minutes.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
BigT2002

Quote:

What two can score??? Wellman could score, but Clutterbuck still can't hit the broad side of a barn if he tried. .096% shooting. 136 Shots on Goal with only 13 goals.....

Old
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.

Old
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.
18 SOG @ .056%. Considering linemates....that isn't too bad.

Old
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wellman has speed and a fantastic shot. If he gets stronger he'll be just fine. Few people enter the NHL at their peak.

Clutterbuck also has an amazing shot, top three on the team IMO. His biggest problem is not being able to bring the puck into the offensive zone or getting into scoring position. Sometimes he will sneak a goal with a wrist shot from the top of the circles at a funny angle...which is very impressive considering he's facing NHL goalies. But he's going to have to get into the slot to score more goals, and he'll have to play with guys that can hold onto and dish the puck.

Old
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Brodziak's hands are really, really bad. I think he's a valuable guy to have (an upgrade over Veillieux, who I also appreciated) but he has no ability to steer the puck whatsoever. I expect he'll be in a defensive role most of the time. He has the hustle to get into some decent scoring positions but just can't capitalize! If i wasn't as worried about his passing accuracy in those situations I'd say pair him with a speedy scorer (wellman) and just tell him to dish it to whoever is closest to the net.

Clutterbuck has no aim either. Players have said he has an excellent shot and we can see it from time to time but...I don't see him effective as the guy who looks to get in a scoring position as his main objective. Stick to what you're great at, and work on that aim. I expect his goal totals will go up marginally next season and his hitting will decrease a little.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.
I know! i've been trying to wrap my head around the difference. he's got a quick shot in both but the accuracy isn't there in-game. Like you said it has to be a mindset thing--in practice and warmups he's obviously not looking to lay anyone out or worried about retributive hits but if you play like he does, i can see having a larger part of your attention focused on tracking potential hitters/hittees.

I like his focus where it is now, though. As a great hitter clutterbuck energizes the rest of the team and more than a few times has kept the home crowd from turning ugly while we struggled on the scoreboard. Also forces the other team to get off their game sometimes. That said, we do need more scoring...

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:58 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Because he's tired and he doesn't have time to think about what he's actually doing. Plus he doesn't normally have someone poke checking him to beat hell either