HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers sign Teemu Hartikainen - as per Team1260

Old
05-14-2010, 05:08 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I agree, I'm just saying I've seen this before with prospects. Wasn't Chorney and Petry suppose to easily make the NHL and yet they struggle mightly at the AHL level.
Every team has fans that overrate or expect to much from their prospects. Things in Edmonton have gone from that, to very conservative expectations of Jordan Eberle in a short time because of the failings of the past top-prospects. I don't think I'm overstating Hartikainen's readiness here, he's not going to step into a major role.

It doesn't help guys like Chorney and Petry stepped into top-4 roles on an awful team. Taylor's development has definitely been hindered by playing a role in the NHL he's clearly not ready to.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So the only one that is left that needs to be signed from 2008 is Jordan Bendfeld. Can he even re-enter the draft? This would be his third go around.
Bendfeld signed ages ago. I believe he signed right after his draft. I'm pretty sure he has played in Stockton the last two seasons. Maybe not last year due to all the injuries.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Abu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyhemskyhemsky View Post
From what I gathered from other posters, it's his last year of mandatory military service. Everyone has to do it. And due to the Finnish agreement with the NHL, he's free to sign at anytime. Why wouldn't he sign?
Actually, finnish military service is only 6 months and Hartikainen allready compleated it. And everyone dosen't have to go to military service. Second option is civil alternative service, where you help old peapole and so on. Third option is jail : )

Anyways, I from the same city as Hartikainen, and KalPa, where Hartikainen played is obiviously my favorite team and I have seen him play a lot. As you all know Harikainen is a strong player who drives to the net. He's really hard to knock out of the puck actually 'cause he has an exelent balance. Actually, there was no man in SM-Liiga (the finnish league) who could check him so that he would fall. He's is really good protecting the puck. His normal shift was that he hold the puck in the corners like a minute by himself and then drove to the net and make the other team make a penalty : ) And I'm not joking here. He usually scores most of his scoring chances. He also is a good leader and is best at the end of the season and in the playoffs. But there are also so minus things. Allthough he plays in front of the goalie in powerplays, he just dosen't screen the goalie. He's not a very good skater, but it was enough for SM-Liiga. But in the smaller ice, where game speed is a lot faster? Well, training helps : )

But anyways you just got the most promising player of Kuopio since Olli Jokinen. And you will love him after two years : )

Abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu View Post
Actually, finnish military service is only 6 months and Hartikainen allready compleated it. And everyone dosen't have to go to military service. Second option is civil alternative service, where you help old peapole and so on. Third option is jail : )

Anyways, I from the same city as Hartikainen, and KalPa, where Hartikainen played is obiviously my favorite team and I have seen him play a lot. As you all know Harikainen is a strong player who drives to the net. He's really hard to knock out of the puck actually 'cause he has an exelent balance. Actually, there was no man in SM-Liiga (the finnish league) who could check him so that he would fall. He's is really good protecting the puck. His normal shift was that he hold the puck in the corners like a minute by himself and then drove to the net and make the other team make a penalty : ) And I'm not joking here. He usually scores most of his scoring chances. He also is a good leader and is best at the end of the season and in the playoffs. But there are also so minus things. Allthough he plays in front of the goalie in powerplays, he just dosen't screen the goalie. He's not a very good skater, but it was enough for SM-Liiga. But in the smaller ice, where game speed is a lot faster? Well, training helps : )

But anyways you just got the most promising player of Kuopio since Olli Jokinen. And you will love him after two years : )
Yeah, it was a mix-up. Sorry about that.

This is making me very, very excited. Awesome stuff man, thank you!

hemskyhemskyhemsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:24 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

My only concern with his skating is his puck retrieval.

His first few steps are... not good at all. Spinning out from the top of the crease and collecting rebounds from the lower half-boards should be a huge part of his game - but against mobile defenders, he won't be able to consistently get to the puck IMO.

He's one player who will need to work with Steve Sardachny quite a lot.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Defsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
My only concern with his skating is his puck retrieval.

His first few steps are... not good at all. Spinning out from the top of the crease and collecting rebounds from the lower half-boards should be a huge part of his game - but against mobile defenders, he won't be able to consistently get to the puck IMO.

He's one player who will need to work with Steve Sardachny quite a lot.
Well, year in Oklahoma will help him with that, but still that skatin is an issue. But if he was good enough to compete in Finnish elite league as 18-yo, then I'm really positive about he can compete next level.

Defsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:38 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Bendfeld signed ages ago. I believe he signed right after his draft. I'm pretty sure he has played in Stockton the last two seasons. Maybe not last year due to all the injuries.
Yes, he signed either last year or year before has played in Stockton for two years and played a handful of games for Springfield this past year.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:37 PM
CupofOil

Awesome news, i was thinking that they weren't going to make him a priority and allow it to go past the deadline, this kid is a BEAST along the boards and has overcome long odds to become a legit prospect, he could be a very good bottom 6er for us, i'm very happy about this signing.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Hemsky4PM

Hartikainen has grit. We need players with some sandpaper and borderline cheapness. I do think his effort level and drive will get him to the NHL one day. He has what speedsters like Salmelainen don't have, size. It's vital to have some size on the bottom two forward lines, to bang opposing d's.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:40 PM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Awesome news, i was thinking that they weren't going to make him a priority and allow it to go past the deadline, this kid is a BEAST along the boards and has overcome long odds to become a legit prospect, he could be a very good bottom 6er for us, i'm very happy about this signing.
He seems to be one of the first prospects in the many years of our terrible, terrible drafting that took criticism and worked on it. Bad skating, worked on it. Needs to be more of a team player, triples his assists. He's working in his weak spots and it's great to see one of my favourite underdogs making a legitimate effort to make the big club one day.

Old
05-14-2010, 07:50 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
He seems to be one of the first prospects in the many years of our terrible, terrible drafting that took criticism and worked on it. Bad skating, worked on it. Needs to be more of a team player, triples his assists. He's working in his weak spots and it's great to see one of my favourite underdogs making a legitimate effort to make the big club one day.
I love the fact that he's continuing to improve and that he balances out our top end skilled prospects with his physicality and tenaciousness, he's exactly the type of prospect that we need for our bottom six.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
He'll be back in land of Fin. He has military obligations(playing hockey) to finish up.
No he completed these near the end of his regular season. He was quoted saying that he can finally focus all his energy on just hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
He completed his military obligations earlier this Spring.

He did an interview saying that he felt much better on the ice now that he doesn't have to focus on "army things" anymore.

Last edited by Grod: 05-14-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I love the fact that he's continuing to improve and that he balances out our top end skilled prospects with his physicality and tenaciousness, he's exactly the type of prospect that we need for our bottom six.
I know it's hopeful/wishful thinking, but this guy can be a complete bottom six forward. A third liner who contributes and makes you think twice before you get in his way. When's the last time a the Oilers had that sort of player?

Old
05-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
No he completed these near the end of his regular season. He was quoted saying that he can finally focus all his energy on just hockey.
Here it is:

"...I've got a lot more energy because now I'm free and don't have to think about anything Army-related."

--Teemu Hartikainen, after finishing his mandatory military service.

Teemu Hartikainen's KalPa team finished the regular season in second place with 109 points in 58 games. They await their playoff opponent as the SM-Liiga's play-in round begins. Hartikianen was fifth on KalPa in points and tied for third in goals as he bounced between the second and third line throughout the season. Hartikainen's second year in the league was a big one as he completed his mandatory military service and took part in the World Junior Championships. Teemu was Finland's best player and leading scorer in the tournament, showing that he could play the North American game and was capable of handling the physical play and dishing it out at the same time.

Very interesting stats about his time before and after he completed his military obligations--> http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/3/25...sophomore-year

Old
05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I love that we could nickname him "Tik" Not that it sounds like he could be anywhere close to THAT good, it sounds like there are a lot of simularities between the 2

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Really nice, like what I've seen from him. Could use his body more but hes a pretty good player and he's even got some nice hands around the net. I like the Holmstrom comparisons as well.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

If he could grow an afro, he could be compared to Scott Hartnell as well.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Abu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHfB...eature=related

There's some goals made by "Härski" (Hartikainen) on his rookie season.

Abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu View Post

Well spoken words! That's an exciting, honest and well needed report. We can speculate as much as we want but will never witness Finish hockey to your degree.

As for the speed issue. Size and puck control is more of a concern for a player of his style, not speed. Speed will come with strength at his role i believe. The ice surface being smaller takes better puck control and stronger legs to turn into success. A quick and confidently guaged shot is most important in scoring goals though.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Hartikainen - Vande Velde - O'Marra/Macdonald/Reddox

I personally like O'Marra in that spot, but whoever gets resigned, if any of them, would work out nicely. A bang, crash, grind, cycle and score line for the Barons.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

I personally like O'Marra in that spot, but whoever gets resigned, if any of them, would work out nicely. A bang, crash, grind, cycle and score line for the Barons.
We seem to be lacking in RW depth.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
DerekZona

His hockey nickname is "Härski" which is just his name shortened. However, that actually translates to English as "rancid". He has some other personal nicknames that aren't used. But, combine that with "The Lamp" (Lander) and "Päjjan" (Paajarvi) and the kids have some interesting nicknames.

Here's a scouting report from the end of last season, and here's my interview with him.

My favorite quote:

Quote:
I try to get to the front of the net a lot and I like to hit often. I use my body and strength in the corners and then I try to drive close to the goal and shoot.
And he doesn't lack for time in the gym, he's a fanatic.

I'm speaking to him this weekend - anything you want me to ask him?

DerekZona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
SharksAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekZona View Post
His hockey nickname is "Härski" which is just his name shortened. However, that actually translates to English as "rancid".
It comes from Härski Hartikainen (acted by Spede Pasanen) from Uuno Turhapuro movies

SharksAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekZona View Post
I'm speaking to him this weekend - anything you want me to ask him?
Ask him if he feels he can be a scorer in the nhl(he'll probably say yes like even a young Marty Reasoner would but just ask him I'm interested to hear his response) also ask him if the oilers have gave him any idea of what they want his role in the organization to be.

Also, what are his thoughts about playing in the American league. Thanks in advance.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:09 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

I slot VV as 2nd line center and graduate Kytnar to OKC 3rd line

I posted this in another thread and my opinion may change regarding MPS and possibly Eberle being graduated but

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Left Wing-Center-Pisani or replacement
Stone-Center-Stortini

Gilbert-Whitney
Smid-D
Peckham-D

Oklahoma City

MPS-Nash-Eberle
Omark-VV-Linglet
Hartkainen-Kytnar-Rajala
Cornet-C-RW

Plante-Chorney
Petry-D
Arsene-Motin
Fill the holes with Cheap FA's and let our damn team develop, aware that I'm leaving off Pouliot/Jacques/Jones, Possibly graduate Plante if no suitable trade partner is found and dance the night away as a plan for growing into a super franchiseHall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Left Wing-Center-Pisani or replacement
Stone-Center-Stortini

Gilbert-Whitney
Smid-D
Peckham-D

Oklahoma City

MPS-Nash-Eberle
Omark-VV-Linglet
Hartkainen-Kytnar-Rajala
Cornet-C-RW

Plante-Chorney
Petry-D
Arsene-Motin
Fill the holes with Cheap FA's and let our damn team develop, aware that I'm leaving off Pouliot/Jacques/Jones, Possibly graduate Plante if no suitable trade partner is found and dance the night away as a plan for growing into a super franchise

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote