HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drilling Sweat / Vent holes In Skate Bottoms???

Old
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Monsignor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I doubt their is any liquid moisture "drained", but I bet it works to some extent as water vapour is driven off due to the temperature gradient-warm foot to cold rink air-even though the holes are pretty small.

This process also cools the foot, so it may reduce sweating as well...again, in a small way.
Bingo! One of the laws of thermodynamics is that heat follows [chases] cold so, in effect, some of the heat will move from the inside of the skate to the outside via the holes towards the ice. Along with the heat will be water [sweat] vapor as warm air holds more moisture than cold air. The ice acts as sort of a heat exchanger both dehumidifying and cooling the foot. It's probably not a substantial amount of moisture/cooling but, perhaps, enough to take the edge off....

FWIW my Reebok 11K's have holes in them (factory) and I have noticed that my skates/footbed are a bit drier than my old CCM Tacks were...

YMMV-

Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the s17 skates already have holes drilled in the bottom of them

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Axxion89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Does it bother you that I'm not a mindless sheep, that I dare to question something like this? I know when people have original thoughts and they question others, they intimidate others not capable of thinking on their own.
Sounds like what you are doing to a lot of posters as well there buddy

Also, one thing in your little foot in the tub analogy is that your bare foot on the drain is impermeable and will not allow water to go through our foot. In a skate, your socks and the footbed are permeable (unless you waterproofed it for some odd reason).

Therefore, when your sock gets saturated and your footbed gets saturated in the scientific term of the word (saturated means that a material becomes so soaked with a liquid that it can no longer hold any more of that liquid) the excess liquid will begin to pool in your skate. The holes drilled will DRAIN that pooled liquid onto the ice as well as allow some cold air into the skate.

If you see any flaws in my scientific logic, please let me know because according to your logic, things such as groundwater would not exists because there is sooo much soil that all the water would get absorbed!

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the s17 skates already have holes drilled in the bottom of them
I think most of the Eastons have it, i know my SE10's have the tear drop shaped vent like the S17's

KerPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
There is absolutely no weakening of the outsole. A holder swap doesn't hurt outsole durability and rivet holes are larger.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Does it bother you that I'm not a mindless sheep, that I dare to question something like this? I know when people have original thoughts and they question others, they intimidate others not capable of thinking on their own.
No, it doesn't bother me that you "dare to question it". But when you show a lack of respect for the people whose career and livelihoods are built around it, then yeah that does bother me a bit.

You seem to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. You've been provided with two main reasons why it is done: ventilation to allow for evaporation and drainage. And zero evidence that it damages the integrity of the sole or outsole. But, you in your infinite wisdom believe the only reason people would possibly do this is because "the pros do it" and the only reason pros do it is apparently because the equipment managers have nothing better to do than drill a hole in a boot, which in your eyes damages the skate causing them to spend more money out of their budget.

Also, new skate socks are meant to whisk away the sweat, so a lot of guys aren't skating with soaked socks, the sweat seeps down to the insole, then below it. Add in that new Edge socks funnel moisture down into the skate as well and there's a few more reasons to try and get as much ventilation and drainage as possible.

This isn't tongue flopping or chewing on mouth-pieces.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
But pros don't have to worry about their skates breaking down prematurely so the fact that pros do this is not a very good example.
I've never seen a skate break down in this area due to drilling. I've seen it break down in the area around the rivets more often. If you're really worried about that then you should get your rivets replaced more often.
I never said it would actually break down nor that I was worried it would. All I meant was that pros don't need to care if their skates wear down prematurely since they can afford to change skates a few times a year, before they have a chance to break down, unlike common folk like us who hope that our skates will last at least 2 or 3 years. So to base what we should do on what pros do to their equipment is pretty irrelevant.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
I never said it would actually break down nor that I was worried it would. All I meant was that pros don't need to care if their skates wear down prematurely since they can afford to change skates a few times a year, before they have a chance to break down, unlike common folk like us who hope that our skates will last at least 2 or 3 years. So to base what we should do on what pros do to their equipment is pretty irrelevant.
Pros don't worry about the skate breaking down as much, but the equipment managers do. High end skates are still expensive for pro teams even with a large budget.

Old
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
The fact that pros don't need to worry about a boot breaking down because they can afford to buy or have boots bought for them but still have their boots drilled negates your entire point. And what pros or equipment managers do or have done to their gear is absolutely relevant. Where do you think the manufacturers go for input on new and recent developments that trickle down to us?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:37 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
No, it doesn't bother me that you "dare to question it". But when you show a lack of respect for the people whose career and livelihoods are built around it, then yeah that does bother me a bit.

You seem to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. You've been provided with two main reasons why it is done: ventilation to allow for evaporation and drainage. And zero evidence that it damages the integrity of the sole or outsole. But, you in your infinite wisdom believe the only reason people would possibly do this is because "the pros do it" and the only reason pros do it is apparently because the equipment managers have nothing better to do than drill a hole in a boot, which in your eyes damages the skate causing them to spend more money out of their budget.

Also, new skate socks are meant to whisk away the sweat, so a lot of guys aren't skating with soaked socks, the sweat seeps down to the insole, then below it. Add in that new Edge socks funnel moisture down into the skate as well and there's a few more reasons to try and get as much ventilation and drainage as possible.

This isn't tongue flopping or chewing on mouth-pieces.
This guy has been on a tear lately of just making posts to argue and basically insult people, shouldn't take anything he says serious.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
You've been provided with two main reasons why it is done: ventilation to allow for evaporation and drainage. And zero evidence that it damages the integrity of the sole or outsole..
All that has been supplied is people's ideas on why it's done, you guys can't even agree on why it's done. That alone is enough to say that it's a gimmick not worth the effort. That and a total lack of any proof that it does as suggested is proof enough.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
This guy has been on a tear lately of just making posts to argue and basically insult people, shouldn't take anything he says serious.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings........

Old
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
All that has been supplied is people's ideas on why it's done, you guys can't even agree on why it's done. That alone is enough to say that it's a gimmick not worth the effort. That and a total lack of any proof that it does as suggested is proof enough.
We're awaiting the University of Toronto's government backed study right now. Also, Popular Mechanics is working on a cover story. And Scientific American should have an op-ed piece on it by June.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:58 PM
DevsFan84

I have to say, I do this for people maybe 1-2x a month on request. I personally think its useless, but whatever. I'll saw the skate in half on your request if you buy it from me.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:19 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
"Seems like a good idea" and "actually proven to be effective" are two different animals. But hey, the pros do it so it must be the right thing to do.

Ever stand in the shower with your foot over the drain and watch the water back up? Now think about 3 or 4 tiny holes in your skate bed, covered over with the in sole, draining out the sweat that's soaked into the skate, your socks, and the foot bed. End result is weakening a high stress area in your skates and no drainage, but you're doing what all the pro guys do.
Do you really think those tiny holes will weaken your skate? Have you ever removed a footbed and looked at the hole in the heel for getting the nut off of the blade? Not to mention all the rivet holes? You are clueless...

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 01:11 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Sorry if I hurt your feelings........
Nope, its just obvious you have basically become a troll, nothing new to the internet people like you been around for awhile.

Old
05-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Ani simov mal

Total ones have vent holes too.

6:08-6:18

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 01:44 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
Total ones have vent holes too.

6:08-6:18
Great vid...ALMOST makes sense why it costs so much =p

Old
05-15-2010, 02:09 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I had my Vapor XIX for 2 years with hole drilled in them. Zero sole issues from it (not to mention there are far more, and bigger, rivet holes in the boot so this is no surprise). Did the same thng to my 40's, again, no issues.

I have absolutely no idea if it helps after a skate. I noticed no difference.

During the skate it's noticeable. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. The whole swamp ass boot feel is reduced, and the soles I skate in don't really absorb water nor do the socks, but I sweat a lot. So I'm leaning towards the holes being effective. I might just be one out of a million, but I'm going to keep doing this to skates until holes in the footbed becomes the standard.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
We're awaiting the University of Toronto's government backed study right now. Also, Popular Mechanics is working on a cover story. And Scientific American should have an op-ed piece on it by June.
You must really hate it when your dreams are shattered. Let me know if the studies show anything so I can mindlessly drill holes in my skates so I can be like the pros too.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
You must really hate it when your dreams are shattered. Let me know if the studies show anything so I can mindlessly drill holes in my skates so I can be like the pros too.
Does it take a lot of practice to become such a complete tool or were you born with it? We get it. You don't think holes in skates do anything. Move on and let the conversation go on.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
and the crickets go *chirp*.

This reminds me of the time you told somebody that they should bake their entry level skates at home because a website told them they were heat moldeable despite it voiding the warranty and that the manufacturer advises against it? So, going by what is typed into a spreadsheet on a website is sacred text, but something practiced by top equipment managers in the game is useless. Bravo.

Old
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Is it hard work being that cool?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Ampersand

@ Gino

The idea of holes/vents at the bottom of foot wear to increase ventilation has been done for years in more than just skates, I have been selling high performance running shoes (which does not mean I am an expert) for some time now, and one of the shoes that has been proven time and time again are the Adidas "ClimaCool" series. Along with an almost all mesh upper to the shoe, Adidas has been making shoes with a large hole in the sole of the shoe for several years. Now where the descriptions of S17's and other skates have differed the Adidas shoes have also put corresponding holes in the foot bed to allow for proper air flow.
So basically I am asking, If there were tiny holes put in the foot beds of the skates, would they no longer seem like a gimmick to you?

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Quote:
The fact that pros don't need to worry about a boot breaking down because they can afford to buy or have boots bought for them but still have their boots drilled negates your entire point. And what pros or equipment managers do or have done to their gear is absolutely relevant. Where do you think the manufacturers go for input on new and recent developments that trickle down to us?
You'll have to elaborate on your first sentence, otherwise it makes no sense. And while the manufacturers use pros' inputs, their engineers will study and modify these ideas to make them structurally feasible. I wouldn't hesitate in buying skates with vent holes designed into the insoles since the manufacturer's engineers may have increased the strength of the surrounding area to compensate for the holes, but adding holes in a sole that was only designed to have a specific amount of rivet holes and access holes as in the heels of Bauers is a different story, especially in today's skates which are already a compromise of lightness and durability.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote