HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire sounds bitter

Old
05-15-2010, 05:16 AM
mexiusacanucker

vCash: 500
Long time lurker, first time poster. This is as good as time as any I guess. F&^% Pierre McGuire. That freaking chatterbox ruins everything he gets into. He is the reason that I watch all my TSN network broadcast Habs games on RDS. I may only half ass understand what is being said, but at least I do not have to hear McGuire yammering on and on just to hear himself talk. Same goes for Glenn Healy. Oh and Hi everyone. This is a mighty fine board you guys and gals have here.

mexiusacanucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiusacanucker View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. This is as good as time as any I guess. F&^% Pierre McGuire. That freaking chatterbox ruins everything he gets into. He is the reason that I watch all my TSN network broadcast Habs games on RDS. I may only half ass understand what is being said, but at least I do not have to hear McGuire yammering on and on just to hear himself talk. Same goes for Glenn Healy. Oh and Hi everyone. This is a mighty fine board you guys and gals have here.
Welcome aboard! With an avatar like that, please post often!

I agree with you on Pierre McGuire. For any of you who didn't get to watch the TSN Trade Deadline show this year, you missed the entire TSN crew making fun of McGuire throughout the day. They kept on showing clips of McGuire where he was wrong (mostly from Free Agent frenzy day--things like Leafs will be contenders because they picked up Exelby) and made fun of him all day. It's amazing how often someone can be off the mark and still take themself so serious!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:53 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Come on. Only the most deluded of us Habs fan actually expected this....

...and those who did are completely delusional
In my pool, I predicted a Habs win over Philly in the est final...

Call me delusional or whatever ;-)

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:17 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
In my pool, I predicted a Habs win over Philly in the est final...

Call me delusional or whatever ;-)
Dude, when will you ever change that Avatar ... lol

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Guys, read again what I wrote. I said we would be competitive. I totally agree with you that I did not write, back in March, "The Habs will beat both Pittsburgh and Washington by scores of exactly 4 games to 3 and Mike Cammalleri will have exactly 12 goals, etc.," all down to the last detail.

Competitive means competing on a fairly equal footing with the other teams. You might win, you might lose. Heck, even if someone correctly predicted two seven game series between evenly matched opponents, the chances of winning both were only 25%. The difference between me and some of the people eating crow today is that the crow-eaters needed that 25% to come through to realize that we were in fact competitive already. I didn't. I mean I'm ecstatic we won game 7 at the Mellon Arena, but even had we lost, I would have still felt that my assessment was pretty correct and we were competitive. Teams can lose a playoff round and still be considered competitive!! I certainly think Detroit and Vancouver are competitive teams, even if they are out now.

Incidentally, I do think that the final three games of the season affected very many people's outlooks going into the playoffs. Had we gained 4 points out of 6 instead of two points, I think a lot more people would have been in the "competitive" camp. Unfortunately, Halak had one bad game (Islanders) and one absolutely HORRIBLE game (the Toronto one), so we squandered two points and shook the confidence of many of the fans.

But in the big picture, we still won the majority of games Halak played and a big majority of games in which our total skaters injured was less than three regulars. In the big picture, the Habs outpointed Pittsburgh in the second half of the season. In the big picture, our record without Markov was 14-20-3 and with Markov was 25-13-7. Given that we were going into the playoffs WITH Markov it was obvious to several of us that a team playing at a 25-13-7 clip would in fact be competitive with most "solid" playoff teams that clinched early. And THAT is where we were basically right, not in predicting the EXACT outcome.

The way it turned out, in fact, the saving grace for the Habs was that the recall of PK Subban made it possible for the team to lose Markov yet again, and still remain competitive. The team just cannot afford to be without a good puck-moving guy who can play 25+ minutes when necessary and remain defensively reliable as well.

Anyway, I hope this explanation clarifies my position a bit.

GO Habs GO!
Well if being competitive is all we're talking about, then fine, I never said we weren't going to be competitive. All I said was that judging from what we saw in the regular season, from the crazy swings of inconsistencies, it would be very hard to predict that we could pull off two awesome series victories against two of maybe the 5 or 6 stanley cup favorites. If i didn't think we had a chance to win, i wouldn't have watched every playoff game, and wouldn't of held out hope when we were down 3-1 in the Capitals series. But I did. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

Go Habs!

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote