HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, how much is too much?

Old
05-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kovalchuk, how much is too much?

With Kovalchuk being the biggest FA prize out there, how much is too much for his services? I'm curious to see what is the maximum that you would sign him for (cap hit and years). Post you maximum, even if it is unrealistic (i.e. $16 million/4 years).

Just reply once with a long term contract cap hit max and a short term contract cap hit max. I don't care how much money he makes, only what the cap hit is.

I've already said that I would give him a retirement contract ($80 million/12 years), but a lot of people wouldn't. So here is your chance to call your shot now and get it on record.

My long term max: 10+ years for a cap hit under $7 million

My short term max: 3-5 years for a cap hit under $8.5 million

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
My long term max: 10+ years for a cap hit under $7 million

My short term max: 3-5 years for a cap hit under $8.5 million
Pretty much the way I feel.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
As long as it's not more than 7.9 Mill i'm fine with a long term.
I would prefer a front loaded contract what makes the cap hit around 6.8
doesn't matter how long. Something Franzen like

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
funky

nothing over 8.2, which is between hw Crosby's of the world and the Gaboriks.

10 year 75 mil
5 year 41 mil

scary in two ways

1. scary good player
2. scary in the fact that a contract that big could hurt us retaining core players until Smyths contract is done

funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:26 PM
riseandfall9

With those numbers we are all going to be pretty disappointed. Because either we signed him for his real value which is way more then that. Or we don't get him because those numbers are too low. Either way people are going to be upset.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Well I merely ask, how much money are you guys willing to see the team spend on Kopitar, Doughty, and Ilya put together? Just curious. I am not yet sure if I want Kovy or not.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

If Chicago can hold things together with Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa and the terrible contracts of Campbell and Huet, I am confident that the Kings can keep the core together and go after a guy like Kovalchuk.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 06:16 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
If Chicago can hold things together with Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa and the terrible contracts of Campbell and Huet, I am confident that the Kings can keep the core together and go after a guy like Kovalchuk.
Agree 100%. And Lombardi won't make a deal with Kovalchuk if he knows it's going to hurt our chances of signing any of those other core players. But it would be awesome to have Kovalchuk as one of our core locked up long term.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Short term: $9 million
Long term: $8 million

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I think long or short term that CAP hit needs to be <$8m. I guess short term they maybe could afford a little more than that but I honestly don't think there is a shot in hell he signs a contract less than 3 years in term.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:09 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Kovalchuk will settle for between 7.5-8 million. Book it.

Many on the main board are uneducated and think that Kovy's #1 priority is to make bank. If this were so he would be set for life down here in Atlanta. Bottom line is that Ilya Kovalchuk wants to win.

Pretty sure Kovalchuk and his agent know they've already passed on the best offer, but Kovy is to proud and works to hard just have his career be thrown away by signing a contract with a team that is run by an ass hat in DW (and I guess now Dudley who isn't much better).

Guy wants to win and make fair money. Seeing you guys are gonna be cup contenders for the next 10 years or so you can easily offer both (something really no other team can).

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Well I merely ask, how much money are you guys willing to see the team spend on Kopitar, Doughty, and Ilya put together? Just curious. I am not yet sure if I want Kovy or not.
Long term they should all be less than $7 million each, under $21 million combined. Dean could always give Doughty a 1-2 year deal and then give him his raise after Smyth's contract is up. I think Doughty is the most likely to work with Dean and the Kings. Not sure about Simmonds and Johnson taking discounts, but they should make much less than Doughty.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

His cap cost is my only reason for not wanting him. I have asked Hawk fans if after having Hossa for the season considering his contract, would they do it again and or are they happy with the signing. The majority say not really. Remove Hossa and they would be able t keep Sharp Versteeg Buffallokin etc and they feel that these players would serve them better than one scoring winger.

Kovy is more of a sure hit than Hossa but i have to wonder if we won't end up in the same boat.

I would be more interested in signing him short term (which I can't see any reason for him to do when the standard for players of his caliber has been set by being long long long term contracts) for a ton of cash than long term for....well....a ton of cash.

Short term (3 years which he wouldn't ever take) at $9m per year, take it or we find another fit.

Kovy is worth it but at the numbers and length that he is going to get, is it really worth making him the face of our franchise for the next 10 years?

I am still not sold and fear that if things exploded in our faces that we could end up as a slightly better west coast version of Atlanta.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Haik

12 years $5m/yr
5 years $7m/yr

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
His cap cost is my only reason for not wanting him. I have asked Hawk fans if after having Hossa for the season considering his contract, would they do it again and or are they happy with the signing. The majority say not really. Remove Hossa and they would be able t keep Sharp Versteeg Buffallokin etc and they feel that these players would serve them better than one scoring winger.
Meh. Same could have been said last season about Briere or Gomez. Now, both Philly and Montreal wouldn't let them go without considerable payment. It is a year to year thing. I have a feeling Chicago fans will be happy they have Hossa once their core grows up a little more and he is turning back into his 100 point self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Long term they should all be less than $7 million each, under $21 million combined. Dean could always give Doughty a 1-2 year deal and then give him his raise after Smyth's contract is up. I think Doughty is the most likely to work with Dean and the Kings. Not sure about Simmonds and Johnson taking discounts, but they should make much less than Doughty.
Doughty surely would, and Simmonds would likely come to the table and make things happen as well. Johnson, on the other hand, probably wouldn't. I couldn't see him taking another big cut. He is going to cost some solid change once he reaches UFA status. This next year is going to be quite important for him. If he can shore up that +/- of his, and turn in a 35+ point season, then it might be wise to look at a long term $4.5 million or so deal for him.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
12 years $5m/yr
5 years $7m/yr
gawd how awesome would that be

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Duncan Keith earns $5,538k per for the next 10 years. DD at $7.5 per for as long is a risk I would take and sign him for the next ten if he would do it. As a comparison, DD is worth more to me than DK (who is also a fantastic young all star dman) but DK set the early standard (imo) for dmen signing ltc's so we will have to lock up DD for a mega multi year deal based on this.

Hossa gets $5.25, per for a decade and Kovy will like pull in the mid 7's also as the bidding war looks like a biggie for him.

And the long term contract comparisons for Kopi (I looked at a few but none were perfect matches) from what I could see was around $6.3 or so for ten.

I think that a cap hit for these three should be in the $23m per give or take. IF Schenn pans out to be what he can be then he will want a similar deal, same could be said for Hickey and Johnson.

We could easily end up having $40m some mill tied up in 6 players without even trying.

Its a scary new cap world.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
MxH0CKEY

How many Kovalchuk threads? Dumbest thing to do is sign him long-term, unless you do not want Simmonds, Schenn, and well basically our better prospects. 3 yrs is the most I will give him, as it is he is already considering going to KHL. What a risk that would be to waste our time on him...

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
How many Kovalchuk threads? Dumbest thing to do is sign him long-term, unless you do not want Simmonds, Schenn, and well basically our better prospects. 3 yrs is the most I will give him, as it is he is already considering going to KHL. What a risk that would be to waste our time on him...
I think because he's such a solid player he has more people at his doorstep asking him to join. He would be dumb to put on blinders and not consider KHL if they are offering him more.

I don't want to go any longer than 7 years with him. No more than 8.5 mil. But I would put incentives in there. He would get a base of say 7.5 mil and the rest when we gets so many points....also something to the effect of having a good plus minus so he doesn't turn into a defensive liability.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Comparing the Kings to the Chicago situation is just dumb.

Top 4 Forwards:
(Hawks)
Kane
Toews
Hossa
Sharp
Total: $21.7M

Kings:
Kopitar
Smyth
Stoll
Brown
Total: $19.7M

Top 4 D-Man
Keith
Campbell
Seabrook
Sopel
Total: $18.5M

Doughty
Scuderi
JJ
Greene
Total: $13.1M

Goaltenders:
Huet
Niemi(ARB Eligible)
Total: $9M(Estimate)

Quick
Bernier
Total: $2.6M

EDIT: Thought Seabrook was traded.

Basically what i'm saying is retaining the young guys with Kovalchuk is doable, as long as DL locks up Simmonds etc. before they break out, and don't make any dumb signings(I.E Campbell)

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 05-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
He isn't going to the KHL. It wouldn't be all that difficult to fit him in as long as you move forward conservatively. He earns his paycheck anyway you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I think because he's such a solid player he has more people at his doorstep asking him to join. He would be dumb to put on blinders and not consider KHL if they are offering him more.

I don't want to go any longer than 7 years with him. No more than 8.5 mil. But I would put incentives in there. He would get a base of say 7.5 mil and the rest when we gets so many points....also something to the effect of having a good plus minus so he doesn't turn into a defensive liability.
You can only put bonuses in ELC deals.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
Kovalchuk will settle for between 7.5-8 million. Book it.

Many on the main board are uneducated and think that Kovy's #1 priority is to make bank. If this were so he would be set for life down here in Atlanta. Bottom line is that Ilya Kovalchuk wants to win.

Pretty sure Kovalchuk and his agent know they've already passed on the best offer, but Kovy is to proud and works to hard just have his career be thrown away by signing a contract with a team that is run by an ass hat in DW (and I guess now Dudley who isn't much better).

Guy wants to win and make fair money. Seeing you guys are gonna be cup contenders for the next 10 years or so you can easily offer both (something really no other team can).
I agree with everything in this post except for the lack of letters in the word "too"

But seriously, its a pretty simple thing. He would want to play here (assuming he is not all about the weather) because of the team we have. So if he wants to play here so he can skate with Kopi and Brown and Doughty and Johnson and Simmonds with Bernier and QUick behind him, why would he insist on a contract that would prevent the team from retaining those players?

If Kovalchuk is really just testing UFA to see if he can get the largest contract ever handed out (which I doubt), then yeah, screw him. Otherwise he will have to play ball. Or play hockey for another team like the Thrashers. His choice.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

5 years / $37M. That's it no more money and no more years.

Doughty is the guy you give the 10 year deal.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:37 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Whatever it takes. We need this guy.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!