Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

The Prospect Thread

Old
05-14-2010, 06:42 PM
obanga

vCash: 500
The Prospect Thread

Seeing as there was creation of a Strasburg thread, how about a thread that covered some of the other top prospects across the minors?

Let's start with the top 100 prospects list from the start of the season, ranked by Fangraphs.

1. Jason Heyward, OF, Atlanta Braves
2. Stephen Strasburg, RHP, Washington Nationals
3. Desmond Jennings, OF, Tampa Bay Rays
4. Mike Stanton, OF, Florida Marlins
5. Buster Posey, C, San Francisco Giants
6. Neftali Feliz, RHP, Texas Rangers
7. Carlos Santana, C, Cleveland Indians
8. Jesus Montero, C/1B, New York Yankees
9. Domonic Brown, OF, Philadelphia Phillies
10. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pittsburgh Pirates

11. Christian Friedrich, LHP, Colorado Rockies
12. Dustin Ackley, 2B/OF, Seattle Mariners
13. Brian Matusz, LHP, Baltimore Orioles
14. Jeremy Hellickson, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays
15. Alcides Escobar, SS, Milwaukee Brewers
16. Justin Smoak, 1B, Texas Rangers
17. Madison Bumgarner, LHP, San Francisco Giants
18. Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Cincinnati Reds
19. Chris Carter, 1B, Oakland Athletics
20. Martin Perez, LHP, Texas Rangers

21. Logan Morrison, 1B, Florida Marlins
22. Casey Kelly, RHP, Boston Red Sox
23. Aaron Hicks, OF, Minnesota Twins
24. Andrew Cashner, RHP, Chicago Cubs
25. Starlin Castro, SS, Chicago Cubs
26. Tyler Matzek, LHP, Colorado Rockies
27. Tim Beckham, SS, Tampa Bay Rays
28. Wade Davis, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays
29. Michael Montgomery, LHP, Kansas City Royals
30. Devaris Gordon, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers

31. Derek Norris, C, Washington Nationals
32. Brett Wallace, 3B/1B, Toronto Blue Jays
33. Kyle Drabek, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays
34. Jarrod Parker, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks (out because of Tommy John)
35. Ryan Westmoreland, OF, Boston Red Sox
36. Freddie Freeman, 1B, Atlanta Braves
37. Julio Teheran, RHP, Altanta Braves
38. Josh Bell, 3B, Baltimore Orioles
39. Tyler Flowers, C, Chicago White Sox
40. Hank Conger, C, Los Angeles Angels

41. Mike Moustakas, 3B, Kansas City Royals
42. Shelby Miller, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals
43. Wilson Ramos, C, Minnesota Twins
44. Casey Crosby, LHP, Detroit Tigers
45. Eric Hosmer, 1B, Kansas City Royals
46. Fernando Martinez, OF, New York Mets
47. Yonder Alonso, 1B, Cincinnati Reds
48. Josh Vitters, 3B, Chicago Cubs
49. Austin Romine, C, New York Yankees
50. Michael Taylor, OF, Oakland Athletics

51. Austin Jackson, OF, Detroit Tigers
52. Matthew Moore, LHP, Tampa Bay Rays
53. Jason Castro, C, Houston Astros
54. Brad Lincoln, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
55. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Cleveland Indians
56. Zach Wheeler, RHP, San Francisco Giants
57. Arodys Vizcaino, RHP, Atlanta Braves
58. Jordan Lyles, RHP, Houston Astros
59. Brett Lawrie, 2B, Milwaukee Brewers
60. Tony Sanchez, C, Pittsburgh Pirates

61. Zach McAllister, RHP, New York Yankees
62. Zach Stewart, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays
63. Ike Davis, 1B/OF, New York Mets
64. Jenrry Mejia, RHP, New York Mets
65. Daniel Hudson, RHP, Chicago White Sox
66. Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Texas Rangers
67. Jacob Turner, RHP, Detroit Tigers
68. Simon Castro, RHP, San Diego Padres
69. Jhoulys Chacin, RHP, Colorado Rockies
70. Brandon Erbe, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

71. Jordan Walden, RHP, Los Angeles Angels
72. Junichi Tazawa, RHP, Boston Red Sox (Tommy John surgery eek )
73. Jake Arrieta, RHP, Baltimore Orioles
74. Brandon Allen, 1B, Arizona Diamondbacks
75. Thomas Neal, OF, San Francisco Giants
76. Alex White, RHP, Cleveland Indians
77. Kyle Gibson, RHP, Minnesota Twins
78. Zach Britton, LHP, Baltimore Orioles
79. Jio Mier, SS, Houston Astros
80. Ethan Martin, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

81. Mike Trout, OF, Los Angeles Angels
82. Matt Dominguez, 3B, Florida Marlins
83. Ian Desmond, SS, Washington Nationals
84. Michael Saunders, OF, Seattle Mariners
85. Nick Hagadone, LHP, Cleveland Indians
86. J.P. Arencibia, C, Toronto Blue Jays
87. Logan Forsythe, 3B, San Diego Padres
88. Hak-Ju Lee, SS, Chicago Cubs
89. Trevor Reckling, LHP, Los Angeles Angels
90. Nick Barnese, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays

91. Hector Rondon, RHP, Cleveland Indians
92. Mike Leake, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
93. Jose Tabata, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates
94. Danny Duffy, LHP, Kansas City Royals
95. Chris Heisey, OF, Cincinnati Reds
96. Andrew Lambo, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers
97. Mat Gamel, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers
98. Jaff Decker, OF, San Diego Padres
99. Jay Jackson, RHP, Chicago Cubs
100. Trevor May, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies

for the ones who are currently in the majors

Among those being mentionned for midseason callups are
Mike Stanton (raking in AA Jacksonville)
Carlos Santana
Stephen Strasburg (now in AAA Syracuse)
Desmond Jennings
Jeremy Hellickson (Kinda stuck behind 5 pitchers who are doing great)
Drew Storen
Logan Morrison
Chapman? (nice K rate, but pretty high walks)
Buster Posey

Discuss.

I'll start by saying if Matthew Moore of the Rays (Advanced A, Durham) improves his control and has another good season, he could jump into the top 15 next year. Insane K rates with a good curveball.

Last edited by obanga: 05-14-2010 at 08:24 PM.
obanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
AK

From the Pirates, Jose Tabata is drilling the ball in Indianapolis. I think he's about equal in prospect value to Tony Sanchez, and Sanchez was ranked 60th. He should be a bit higher around the list somewhere.

There are a few top guys who should be in the majors soon, but I'm not sure Jennings is one of them. The Rays are in too much contention to deal Crawford, and they're not going to start Jennings' arbitration clock to split time with Upton or move Zobrist permanently to second base. Hellickson's the same way for them. Garza, Price, Shields, Niemann, and Davis aren't going anywhere until the offseason. I guess there's a chance they bring him up as a reliever to start (just like they did with Price), but he's not in their rotation anytime this season.

Chapman's still very raw, and he's struggling with control for Louisville so far in AAA. The Reds need to be careful with him. His throwing is unbelievable, but he needs to get better at pitching. Major Leaguers know how to take walks. He's walking 5.1/9 innings in AAA, and that's only going to rise. Plus, the Reds' pitching is fine. He should be a while. Call him up much later in the season, especially if they stay near contention.

Alvarez is an interesting case. His power is absurd, and he'd be the biggest bopper on the Pirates right now if he was called up. There's the arbitration clock situation with him, though, and his defense is fairly poor. If Andy LaRoche keeps clubbing as well as he has been, he's not going to be rushed. It might be exciting and sell tickets if they called him up, but they should be in no rush. He's hitting a shade over.250 in AAA. If he starts to absolutely dominate, he comes up. Otherwise, he should stay. The Bucs are pretty likely to bring up Tabata at some point, though. Lincoln, too, though that's much less certain.

Storen comes up pretty soon from the Nationals, I think. He'll be after Strasburg, but not too far after him. If Jordan Zimmerman ever gets his arm healed well, that's three huge pitching prospects for them, plus some good young arms already in the bigs (Capps, Clippard). They could be really good in a few years.

Stanton will get called up in Florida at some point. Their outfield is hitting for virtually no power whatsoever, and he's just what the doctor ordered for power, average, and basically anything.

Also, watch for Freddie Freeman in Atlanta. He's doing fine in AAA, and the Braves can't keep Glaus and Hinske at first for too long.

I'm interested in any feedback.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
I love me some Starlin Castro.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

The Pirates have had quite a few farm hands off to good starts.

Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Indianapolis (AAA) - Leads team with 8 HRs and 33 RBIs so far and has improved his plate discipline (a focus this year). He'll be in Pittsburgh within a month. Keeping him in Indianapolis for an extra month or two certainly wouldn't hurt, though. His plate patience has improved (though at the cost at a ton of strikeouts in the first couple of weeks, a stat that has normalized since) but his defense is still poor. The call for Alvarez to change to 1B because of Andy LaRoche's play at third in Pittsburgh this year is unfounded in my opinion, though, as LaRoche's lack of power and fielding prowess makes him a more natural switch to 2B, a position very weak throughout the system. Alvarez will move before too long, but it doesn't need to be yet, nor should it be. Alvarez-Cedeno-LaRoche-Jones is how I want the Pirates infield to read at the end of the season.
Brad Lincoln, RHP, Indianapolis (AAA) - 4-1 with a 3.83 ERA. Heir apparent to Zach Duke in the sense that he's effective and efficient but unspectacular (thanks to Tommy John Surgery, his upside used to be through the roof).
Jose Tabata, RF, Indianapolis (AAA) - Has established his standing more this year, with the continued lack of power but a knack for slapping the ball to all parts of the field. .326 batting average is very solid and he's been a gem in the field. Like Alvarez he'll be in Pittsburgh before long, and with Iwamura's horrific season he may be batting lead-off by the August.
Neil Walker, UTIL, Indianapolis (AAA) - After his dimming star burned out last year he's re-appeared on the prospect chart after adding three new positions to his resume (can play third base, second, left field, right field, and catcher). A .338 batting average and 1.00 OPS aren't hurting (his career high in those stats in the minors so far have been .298 and .768 at those in separate years...this as a guy who spent four seasons in BaseballAmerica's top 100). Looks like a super-utility man in the Majors who will play in more games than he doesn't play in, but never be a starter at a position without an injury forcing him into it.
Chase d'Arnaud, 2B/SS, Altoona (AA) - Struggling so far in Altoona with a measley .217 batting average and .289 OBP a year after .293 and .398 numbers in A ball last year.
Tim Alderson, RHP, Altoona (AA) - Mechanics have been worked on majorly this year, leading to struggles. A 2-1 record accompanies ugly 6.35 ERA and 1.73 WHIP stats.
Rudy Owens, LHP, Altoona (AA) - Last year's minor league pitcher of the year in the system seems to be adjusting well to AA ball, with a 3-1 record, 3.74 ERA, and 1.01 WHIP in a hitter-friendly ballpark. 9.9 K/9 Inn and 6.17 SO/BB ratio are equally impressive.
Danny Moskos, RHP, Altoona (AA) - The most unfortunate villain in Pirates history...I doubt he'll get much of a shot to be a fan favorite because of his status as all that has been wrong with Pirates baseball the past 18 years (drafted 4th overall despite sandwich round talent as a reliever...who was then changed to starter and failed miserably). Moskos returned to relief this year and has done a great job as Altoona's closer this year, allowing 2 earned runs in 14.2 innings with a perfect 7/7 saves stat. He's back on the radar of at least making the team some day, after spending last year completely off the prospect map.
Brock Holt, SS, Bradenton (A+) - The star is rising for Holt, who was drafted in the 9th round in 2008 for well above slot as part of GM Neil Huntington's brilliant draft good players strategy (a far venture from the previous two regimes of Pirates GMs). Holt posted nice numbers in short A ball State College last year and has improved impressively in high A, hitting .352 thus far. Defense is a concern, though.
Tony Sanchez, C, Bradenton (A+) - Seen as a bit of a reach last year Sanchez has done nothing but amaze since entering the system almost immediately after the draft. Drafted primarily as a defensive catcher with a moderate bat and intangibles out the wazoo he's hitting .318 with a .937 OPS so far. His eye (.423 OBP) and gap talent (12 doubles in 107 ABs) is extremely promising.
Starling Marte, CF, Bradenton (A+) - The most intriguing prospect in the Pirates system. Marte is a five-tool player from the Dominican Republic who blew onto the scene last year. He's ridiculously raw and had some troubles initially settling into high A ball, but is still hitting .283 with a .374 OBP and 9 steals early in the season. His defense has been impressive, with 4 outfield assists already. Listening to every coach and scout in the system the potential for power is there, but it hasn't come up yet, as he still has 0 home runs.
Bryan Morris, RHP, Bradenton (A+) - The centerpiece of the Jason Bay trade for the Pirates, Morris had just about as bad of a season as a kid could have last year. He's rebounded in a way that can only be described as impressive, posting a 0.66 ERA through 40 innings pitched (with a measly 3-0 record in 7 starts, way to give him run support Bradenton). The 0.96 WHIP is impressive. The 36 Ks are nice (more than he had all of last year). The 5 walks is stunning. Morris posted a SO/BB last year of 0.94, a stat that now reads 7.20. Needless to say, he probably isn't long for Bradenton, but after last year the organization is taking things slow with him.

The low minor players haven't started play so I won't mention them and I really don't feel like going in-depth with everyone with pro potential (sorry Quincy Latimore) so I'm just stopping there...the system looks to be be re-stocking quite well under Huntington, and picking #2 in the draft with a huge draft budget again (hey, when you know you're going to suck I'd rather have $5 million poured into the draft than into a middle reliever) the system should be in great shape by the end of the year...not that the effects aren't shown by the change as it stands. The Bradenton Marauders contain mostly Huntington-era prospects and sit in first place in the Southern Division of the Florida State League. The Curve, who are about 50/50, are 20-13.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-14-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
obanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
From the Pirates, Jose Tabata is drilling the ball in Indianapolis. I think he's about equal in prospect value to Tony Sanchez, and Sanchez was ranked 60th. He should be a bit higher around the list somewhere.

There are a few top guys who should be in the majors soon, but I'm not sure Jennings is one of them. The Rays are in too much contention to deal Crawford, and they're not going to start Jennings' arbitration clock to split time with Upton or move Zobrist permanently to second base. Hellickson's the same way for them. Garza, Price, Shields, Niemann, and Davis aren't going anywhere until the offseason. I guess there's a chance they bring him up as a reliever to start (just like they did with Price), but he's not in their rotation anytime this season.

Chapman's still very raw, and he's struggling with control for Louisville so far in AAA. The Reds need to be careful with him. His throwing is unbelievable, but he needs to get better at pitching. Major Leaguers know how to take walks. He's walking 5.1/9 innings in AAA, and that's only going to rise. Plus, the Reds' pitching is fine. He should be a while. Call him up much later in the season, especially if they stay near contention.

Alvarez is an interesting case. His power is absurd, and he'd be the biggest bopper on the Pirates right now if he was called up. There's the arbitration clock situation with him, though, and his defense is fairly poor. If Andy LaRoche keeps clubbing as well as he has been, he's not going to be rushed. It might be exciting and sell tickets if they called him up, but they should be in no rush. He's hitting a shade over.250 in AAA. If he starts to absolutely dominate, he comes up. Otherwise, he should stay. The Bucs are pretty likely to bring up Tabata at some point, though. Lincoln, too, though that's much less certain.

Storen comes up pretty soon from the Nationals, I think. He'll be after Strasburg, but not too far after him. If Jordan Zimmerman ever gets his arm healed well, that's three huge pitching prospects for them, plus some good young arms already in the bigs (Capps, Clippard). They could be really good in a few years.

Stanton will get called up in Florida at some point. Their outfield is hitting for virtually no power whatsoever, and he's just what the doctor ordered for power, average, and basically anything.

Also, watch for Freddie Freeman in Atlanta. He's doing fine in AAA, and the Braves can't keep Glaus and Hinske at first for too long.

I'm interested in any feedback.

I've heard about Alvarez being switched to 1B because of his poor defense and size no? He's got pretty crazy power.

I think Santana will come up after super 2 or something. Cleveland's catchers are not hitting at all. Marson's hitting .194

Agreed with the comments on the Rays. Barring a Crawford trade, which won't happen if they're in contention, they'll take it easy with Jennings. But imagine an outfield of Crawford, Upton and Jennings
That'd be a really fast one out there. With Jennings at the top of the lineup, Crawford second, Zobrist, Longoria, Upton and Bartlett, that team would be crazy on the basepaths.
Rays have very good pitching depth in the minors. I mean it's pretty ridiculous. 5 great pitchers in the majors, with Hellickson, McGee (future closer?), Colome, Torres, Moore and the list goes on...

Nats should have a solid core once they draft Harper. With Strasburg, Harper, Jordan Zimmerman, Ryan Zimmerman and Drew Storen, that's not too shabby. Derek Norris is looking like a pretty good power hitting catcher as well. Sign a few free agents and it's a pretty decent team.

Old
05-14-2010, 08:39 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by obanga View Post
I've heard about Alvarez being switched to 1B because of his poor defense and size no? He's got pretty crazy power.
I think it would work, but the front office has come out and said that no such plans exist right now.

Quote:
I think Santana will come up after super 2 or something. Cleveland's catchers are not hitting at all. Marson's hitting .194
Yeah, probably. That Cliff Lee trade sure was something.

Quote:
Agreed with the comments on the Rays. Barring a Crawford trade, which won't happen if they're in contention, they'll take it easy with Jennings. But imagine an outfield of Crawford, Upton and Jennings
That'd be a really fast one out there. With Jennings at the top of the lineup, Crawford second, Zobrist, Longoria, Upton and Bartlett, that team would be crazy on the basepaths
Oh, I know. I play as them on MLB2K10 for that exact reason. I bunt all game and steal my way around the bases. It's unstoppable.

Quote:
Rays have very good pitching depth in the minors. I mean it's pretty ridiculous. 5 great pitchers in the majors, with Hellickson, McGee (future closer?), Colome, Torres, Moore and the list goes on...
In the majors, too. Bullpen and rotation. It's really not fair.

Quote:
Nats should have a solid core once they draft Harper. With Strasburg, Harper, Jordan Zimmerman, Ryan Zimmerman and Drew Storen, that's not too shabby. Derek Norris is looking like a pretty good power hitting catcher as well. Sign a few free agents and it's a pretty decent team.
They still don't have much depth. They're great at the top.

Old
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Alvarez will move to first eventually because of his size. His defense is mediocre there, but I think too much is made of it. Glove wizard Andy LaRoche has more errors in Pittsburgh than Alvarez does in AAA. The range isn't quite up to snuff, but LaRoche's range is ridiculous (3.34 is second only to Seattle's Jose Lopez) and Alvarez's range, transposed into the majors, would put him exactly as average (2.65 would be tied for 16th in the league with Arizona's Mark Reynolds).

The change will come eventually, but I'm of the thought that LaRoche doesn't hit with enough power for a corner infield position and has a glove that seems to fit second better than third anyway (ridiculous range, so-so arm). Second is an organizational weakness. Garrett Jones, by all accounts, will be back at first before long as the Jeff Clement experiment looks to be a failure...which is more fitting for him anyway as he's a good fielding first baseman and mediocre in the outfield.

The change will happen eventually, but it shouldn't happen until there is someone legitimately pushing him from third. All moving him to first does now is block Jose Tabata.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
obanga

Ouch, Chapman got obliterated today. 8 earned runs on 9 hits and 3 walks, in 3.1 innings. 5 strikeouts. 75 pitches, 42 strikes.

And damn, Hellickson with a gem! 6 innings, 6 hits allowed, no runs, 11 strikeouts. Guy doesn't have an insane fastball but has great control.
Carlos Santana went 3-4 with a double in the same game.

Jeff Clement and Jarrod Saltamacchia seem like big catchers/ 1st basemen with decent walk and very high strikeout rates who haven't panned out in the majors.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Clement was merely a toss-in in a trade involving Jack Wilson, that really says all that needs to be said about him. No reason for the Pirates not to give him a shot considering we didn't have a first baseman, and no reason for the Mariners to keep him around. He's a mediocre at best bat who doesn't have a position (he can't play catcher any more and has the range of a potato chip at first)...generally doesn't bode well for success.

Still, he's better than Brian Bixler

I still can't figure out how a guy can strike out 26 times in 44 at bats. I mean, at least Clement has power. Bixler's career high in home runs in the minors was 9.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
obanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Clement was merely a toss-in in a trade involving Jack Wilson, that really says all that needs to be said about him. No reason for the Pirates not to give him a shot considering we didn't have a first baseman, and no reason for the Mariners to keep him around. He's a mediocre at best bat who doesn't have a position (he can't play catcher any more and has the range of a potato chip at first)...generally doesn't bode well for success.

Still, he's better than Brian Bixler

I still can't figure out how a guy can strike out 26 times in 44 at bats. I mean, at least Clement has power. Bixler's career high in home runs in the minors was 9.
yeah, that's pretty awful and usually doesn't bode well for the transition to the majors. Doesn't help maintain a good batting average. A bit like Chris Davis who strikes out a ton and can't hit well.
Of course, there are exceptions, notably big power hitters.

Or guys like Adam Dunn, who walks so often and compensates his .250 average with a .383-.400 on-base percentage.

Which is why I'm really hoping Mike Stanton works on improving his contact and plate discipline. Going to help out Hanley in Florida.

Old
05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
The Face Pincher*

These are players that I think you should keep a watch on (slight homerism may be included)....

Padre's prospects to watch:
AAA players:
OF Luis Durango: He's probably the fastest player in their system. This season he's got 14 steals in 21 attempts. He can also hit pretty well (hitting .308 in 32 games) but he has no power what so ever (3 homers in minor league career). If there's an injury in the outfield he'll probably get called up.

RHP Ernesto Frieri (closer): Even though no one really talks about him(fans or non-fans) I personally like what I see based on his stats. In his first season in AAA, batters are hitting .115 off of him in 16 innings.

AA players:

2B Logan Forsythe: He's on the DL right now with a broken hand. His numbers this season aren't much above average (hitting .260), but last season he hit .300 in A+/AA.

3B James Darnell: He's good, but he's really struggling in AA. He's hitting .220 and has struck out 24 times in 100 ABs, though he's hit 4 homers so far (not bad). Apparently he's been compared to Casey Blake but he has more patience (doesn't seem like it though lol)

OF Cedric Hunter: After having an average season in his first season in AA, he seems like he's figured the AA pitchers out. He's hitting .304 and has 21 RBIs in 32 games.

RHP Simon Castro(starter): He' probably the best pitcher in our system and I can't wait to see him pitch in the majors. Last season he struck out 157 in A ball (140.1 innings pitched). This year he's got 32ks in 39.1 innings. And batters are hitting .201 off of him.

RHP Evan Scribner (reliever): Though he's overlooked, he's doing very well. 22ks in 17.1 innings with a 1.56 era, and hitters are hitting .177 off of him, and he's only walked 1 hitter this season.

A+ prospects:
SS Drew Cumberland: Hitting .394 in 26 games this season and has 14 stolen bases in 17 attempts. The only problem with him is he's had several injuries in the past.

SS Cole Figueroa: Hitting .326 in 34 games.

OF Jaff Decker: Made his season debut last night, so we'll have to see who things go from there.

RHP Brad Brach (closer): 20ks in 18 innings.

A prospects:

LHP Juan Oramas(reliever): Yet another overlooked prospect. 25ks 3bbs in 15 innings; hitters are hitting .176 off of him. He was promoted to A+ at the beginning of the month and is starting now.

Sorry if I said too much about some of the players, I just don't really have any where to pimp the Padre's prospects. Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by The Face Pincher*: 05-14-2010 at 11:15 PM.
The Face Pincher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:29 AM
darko

Quote:

I think Alvarez will be up very soon (early to mid June). Pirates need a power bat and Alvarez will move to 1B, he's pretty bad defensively. I agree that Tabata will get a look soon too. JMO

Some prospects who could be close to promotions (and haven't been mentioned)

Daniel Hudson (White Sox) - has been much better than stats will show. He got roughed up in 2 games. Gave up 9 runs in 1 inning of work against Clippers which inflates his numbers. He would replace Freddy Garcia.

Brett Wallace (Blue Jays) -raking in AAA. Leads PCL in home runs, .961 OPS and sporting a .305 BA. Overbay's days are numbered.

Tanner Scheppers (Rangers) - Rangers just keep on producing quality pitchers. Dominated AA and was promoted to AAA and sporting a 1.50 ERA albeit only 3 games. Before the season started I would've said a Septmeber call up but with the situation of Rangers pen he could be up by late June early July. K's a ton, I absolutely love this kid. 1 of my favorite prospects ... after Arrieta off course lol.

Jake Arrieta (Orioles) - speaking of the Devil. 1.67 ERA in AAA, the only issue is 24 walks in 43 innings. If he gets his walk issue somewhat under control he may even be better than Matusz. What he's got working for him is that O's rotation has been pretty horrid so far.

Chris Carter (A's) - just a matter of time, raking in AAA (9 HRs) and A's ae power starved.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:47 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face Pincher View Post
3B James Darnell: He's good, but he's really struggling in AA. He's hitting .220 and has struck out 24 times in 100 ABs, though he's hit 4 homers so far (not bad). Apparently he's been compared to Casey Blake but he has more patience (doesn't seem like it though lol)

Yeah he's definitely regressed this season. Like you said 24 K's in 100 ABs is a lot for a guy who struck out only 89 times in 450 ABs.

Speaking of regressing ... Aaron Poreda. When he got traded he went straight to Padres AAA team and was horrid. You kinda put it to 'adjustment period' but it's more than that. In AA this season and walked 16 batters in 16 innings.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
obanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I think Alvarez will be up very soon (early to mid June). Pirates need a power bat and Alvarez will move to 1B, he's pretty bad defensively. I agree that Tabata will get a look soon too. JMO

Some prospects who could be close to promotions (and haven't been mentioned)

Daniel Hudson (White Sox) - has been much better than stats will show. He got roughed up in 2 games. Gave up 9 runs in 1 inning of work against Clippers which inflates his numbers. He would replace Freddy Garcia.

Brett Wallace (Blue Jays) -raking in AAA. Leads PCL in home runs, .961 OPS and sporting a .305 BA. Overbay's days are numbered.

Tanner Scheppers (Rangers) - Rangers just keep on producing quality pitchers. Dominated AA and was promoted to AAA and sporting a 1.50 ERA albeit only 3 games. Before the season started I would've said a Septmeber call up but with the situation of Rangers pen he could be up by late June early July. K's a ton, I absolutely love this kid. 1 of my favorite prospects ... after Arrieta off course lol.

Jake Arrieta (Orioles) - speaking of the Devil. 1.67 ERA in AAA, the only issue is 24 walks in 43 innings. If he gets his walk issue somewhat under control he may even be better than Matusz. What he's got working for him is that O's rotation has been pretty horrid so far.

Chris Carter (A's) - just a matter of time, raking in AAA (9 HRs) and A's ae power starved.

hmm, yeah, honestly don't know what happened to Poreda. Walked as many in 32 innings as he did in 64 with the Sox AAA. O.o

Chris Carter is going to be a stud man. wOBA of .450, hit 24 home runs in AA with an iso of .239. Also seems to have some speed with 13-5 SB ratio.
His average and strikeouts aren't looking too good right now, but he can really rake. His home-away splits are pretty big though. I wonder if his home park is a pitcher's park or something. OPS of .941 away, only .726 at home. O.o

Old
05-15-2010, 03:58 PM
The Face Pincher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Speaking of regressing ... Aaron Poreda. When he got traded he went straight to Padres AAA team and was horrid. You kinda put it to 'adjustment period' but it's more than that. In AA this season and walked 16 batters in 16 innings.
His other numbers aren't bad though. He's got a 1.69 era and a .260 baa in 12 games, but obviously if you're every going to be considered a good pitcher, you can't walk a batter an inning.

The Face Pincher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
obanga

Also, the Braves called up Craig Kimbrel about a week ago. Big time closing prospect with pretty monstruous strikeout rates in the minors. I'm guessing he's their closer of the future, once Billy Wagner retires.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

The Pirates seriously can't buy a damn break. Starling Marte, the first decent Dominican prospect the team has had in years, may need hand surgery which would end his season, and its the type of injury that tends to zap any and all power (effectively reducing Marte from a five-tool prospect to a four-tool at best).

Ugh.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:37 PM
obanga

Quote:
The Pirates seriously can't buy a damn break. Starling Marte, the first decent Dominican prospect the team has had in years, may need hand surgery which would end his season, and its the type of injury that tends to zap any and all power (effectively reducing Marte from a five-tool prospect to a four-tool at best).

Ugh.
Oh damn, that really sucks. :/

Pirates's farm isn't very deep right? Other than their top prospects, it's kinda icky down there?

On another note, I can't wait to see how Alex Anthopoulos does in the draft for the Jays. I remember hearing they had quite a number of picks in the top 100. Hoping to see their farm replenished.

Adeiny Hechavarria is 2-12 so far in Class A Advanced with Dunedin. Only 1 strikeout though.

Old
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Oh damn, that really sucks. :/

Pirates's farm isn't very deep right? Other than their top prospects, it's kinda icky down there?
Quite the opposite, now that Huntington has taken over. The past two drafts have been of a spread the wealth mentality, involving the Pirates spending more money on bonuses than any other team in the past two years. We've got a glut of #3 potential starters and 3 tool batters, they're just all very low in the system aside from Alvarez, Lincoln (was considered by many to be the best player in his draft class, but almost instantly required Tommy John Surgery (a requirement far too frequent from Littlefield and Bonifay drafts to think it was a fluke), and Tabata (acquired in a Huntington trade for Xavier Nady).

The Pirates system is deeper than its ever been in my life as a fan, but we're just not that deep in top-heavy prospects. Alvarez has star potential, and last year's graduate McCutchen is already a star...otherwise the prospects are all either very nice but lacking in at least one major tool (Tabata's lack of power prevents him from being a monster prospect, but he's still got everything to be a damn good player...Lincoln lost a lot of velocity because of the Tommy John Surgery, but has improved his breaking stuff because of it, etc.). The most intriguing prospects in the system are still low...unfortunately Marte means the fall (or at least year stagnation) or our most intriguing batting prospect after Alvarez, but our most intriguing pitching prospect still hasn't thrown an inning this year (Zach Von Rosenberg, a first round talent that the Pirates drafted in the sixth round last year after an apparently 'unbreakable' commitment to LSU, which involved Von Rosenberg getting more than half of the bonus that 4th overall pick Tony Sanchez received and paid tuition to LSU for Texas-native Von Rosenberg. Out of pure stuff Von Rosenberg may be the best pitching prospect to enter the Pirates system since Kris Benson. Being drafted directly out of high school he's to start in low A West Virginia this year). But at that raw of a prospect its still hard to take them extremely seriously.

This is a make-or-break draft for the Pirates. Huntington's system has given great rewards to date, but three magnificent drafts in a row would be huge. The Pirates only real hope at being a competitor in this league is going to be through the draft, as we can't offer the international bonuses that teams like New York, Boston, and Anaheim can offer (though the international scouting staff has been nearly tripled in size under Huntington and the budget has been doubled)...but if we can draft smartly and have a few of these spread-the-wealth drafts...we may have a decent team in a few years. I just hope that happens before Andrew McCutchen leaves town...I've never been as much of a fan of a player in my 18 years as a Pirates fan (fml) as I have been of McCutchen. He's a legitimate five-tool player with a slight frame (to say the least, the fact he hits any home runs with his frame is bordering on miraculous) who is the definition of a character player, playing a huge part in Lasting Milledge's reformation (though Milledge has performed poorly last year his life has done an essential 180 since joining the Pirates system and dealing with McCutchen).

Pre-Huntington any success by Pirates draftees seemed purely of the 'if you throw enough **** against the wall some of it is bound to stick' mentality. The Danny Moskos and Bryan Bullington selections speak for themselves.

Old
05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
AK

Littlefield was the worst GM in baseball. The only one who even contests him today is Dayton Moore, and maybe Omar Minaya.

Getting McCutchen was all luck. He probably drafted him on youtube highlight tapes alone. He has nothing to do with the fact that Cutch is now an elite outfielder.

Old
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
obanga

Quote:
Quite the opposite, now that Huntington has taken over. The past two drafts have been of a spread the wealth mentality, involving the Pirates spending more money on bonuses than any other team in the past two years. We've got a glut of #3 potential starters and 3 tool batters, they're just all very low in the system aside from Alvarez, Lincoln (was considered by many to be the best player in his draft class, but almost instantly required Tommy John Surgery (a requirement far too frequent from Littlefield and Bonifay drafts to think it was a fluke), and Tabata (acquired in a Huntington trade for Xavier Nady).

The Pirates system is deeper than its ever been in my life as a fan, but we're just not that deep in top-heavy prospects. Alvarez has star potential, and last year's graduate McCutchen is already a star...otherwise the prospects are all either very nice but lacking in at least one major tool (Tabata's lack of power prevents him from being a monster prospect, but he's still got everything to be a damn good player...Lincoln lost a lot of velocity because of the Tommy John Surgery, but has improved his breaking stuff because of it, etc.). The most intriguing prospects in the system are still low...unfortunately Marte means the fall (or at least year stagnation) or our most intriguing batting prospect after Alvarez, but our most intriguing pitching prospect still hasn't thrown an inning this year (Zach Von Rosenberg, a first round talent that the Pirates drafted in the sixth round last year after an apparently 'unbreakable' commitment to LSU, which involved Von Rosenberg getting more than half of the bonus that 4th overall pick Tony Sanchez received and paid tuition to LSU for Texas-native Von Rosenberg. Out of pure stuff Von Rosenberg may be the best pitching prospect to enter the Pirates system since Kris Benson. Being drafted directly out of high school he's to start in low A West Virginia this year). But at that raw of a prospect its still hard to take them extremely seriously.

This is a make-or-break draft for the Pirates. Huntington's system has given great rewards to date, but three magnificent drafts in a row would be huge. The Pirates only real hope at being a competitor in this league is going to be through the draft, as we can't offer the international bonuses that teams like New York, Boston, and Anaheim can offer (though the international scouting staff has been nearly tripled in size under Huntington and the budget has been doubled)...but if we can draft smartly and have a few of these spread-the-wealth drafts...we may have a decent team in a few years. I just hope that happens before Andrew McCutchen leaves town...I've never been as much of a fan of a player in my 18 years as a Pirates fan (fml) as I have been of McCutchen. He's a legitimate five-tool player with a slight frame (to say the least, the fact he hits any home runs with his frame is bordering on miraculous) who is the definition of a character player, playing a huge part in Lasting Milledge's reformation (though Milledge has performed poorly last year his life has done an essential 180 since joining the Pirates system and dealing with McCutchen).

Pre-Huntington any success by Pirates draftees seemed purely of the 'if you throw enough **** against the wall some of it is bound to stick' mentality. The Danny Moskos and Bryan Bullington selections speak for themselves.

Hmm, I guess I was wrong or at least, basing myself from old perspectives.

I guess this article would be interesting.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-draft-review/

Chase D'Arnaud seems pretty good. SS with nice walk rate at 11% and good AVG/OBP along with some pretty nice speed.
Ranked number 7 on Fangraphs' list and they had this to say about him.

D’Arnaud has come a long way in a short time. The infielder looked like a future MLB utility player when he was drafted, but he’s worked hard to improve his skill set and he reached high-A in ‘09 as a 22-year-old. The right-handed hitter batted .291/.394/.427 in 213 low-A at-bats before moving up to high-A where he hit .295/.402/.481 in 210 at-bats. D’Arnaud produced solid walk rates at both levels, right around 12.4%, but his strikeout rate rose 5% to 19.5% upon his promotion. With that, though, his power increased from an ISO of .136 to .186. If the power fluctuation is just a tease, D’Arnaud still has some added value on the base paths after stealing 31 bases in 39 attempts. He won’t ever match former starter Jack Wilson on defense, but D’Arnaud is solid in the field, and he should produce more on offense.

Nice I hope he does well in AA. Any takes on him?

Old
05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Littlefield was the worst GM in baseball. The only one who even contests him today is Dayton Moore, and maybe Omar Minaya.

Getting McCutchen was all luck. He probably drafted him on youtube highlight tapes alone. He has nothing to do with the fact that Cutch is now an elite outfielder.
The McCutchen pick is an aberration...seriously, I don't know how it happened.

Littlefield was the worst GM in baseball history. He drafted Danny Moskos over Matt Wieters as a baseball decision. As much as I ****ing hate Pirates ownership, that pick isn't their fault. In the very next draft Huntington showed a willingness to deal with Wieters' agent Scott Boras in signing Alvarez for more than Wieters signed for. I mean, yes, Wieters signed for more than Moskos did...but last year the Pirates signed the 4th overall pick (the pick Moskos was drafted with three years previously) Tony Sanchez for roughly $2.5 million, aka slot value...which has gone up in the three years. Moskos signed for $4.2 million. Not only did Littlefield draft a guy that everyone and their ****ing sister called a sandwich round talent about 35 picks too soon, he paid the guy like he was a legitimate #4 pick. As much as I hate the guy, Bob Nutting wasn't going to stand between $1.8 million in signing bonuses for a guy who is going to make the Orioles...well he's going to make them a lot of money while Danny Moskos, regardless of what he ever accomplishes in the Majors, will always be the most undeserved villain in Pirates history (seriously, can you blame the kid for cashing in when dealing with a retard?).

Ugh. Seriously, I want to dip that ****er in acid for the crimes he committed against the sport of baseball. Screw even just being a Pirates fan, he ****ed baseball up by forfeiting nearly a decade of Pirates baseball. Bob Nutting may well be the worst owner in sports...and he is...but the money the Pirates aren't spending right now that is in the budget is being used equally in improving the scouting and signing budgets three-fold and the rest in savings for future contracts. Huntington, unlike Littlefield, isn't about to use a surplus in budget to trade for Matt Morris (~$10 million contract...and giving up a guy who is an every day starter in the Majors today for him) or claim Cesar Izturis (back-up shortstop making $5.5 million). Either the man has balls like steel or he's legitimately interested in putting a team together that may actually work rather than a team that may win 75 games in a season and extend his contract by a year. The second the Pirates lose Huntington we're back in the horrific place we've been in since Barry Bonds forgot how to throw the ball in October of 1992, because he will get a job offer from an actually legitimate team before long, and we won't luck into a guy like him again.

Old
05-15-2010, 10:58 PM
obanga

Yeah, I read about that Moskos pick. Reliever turned starter or something. Eek. Really has to make fans cringe when they hear of him.

Matt Wieters is a studly young catcher. Hasn't flashed the power (about .200 iso) or shown the discipline (12-15% walk rate) he had in the minors, but I think it'll eventually come.

Old
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I was wrong or at least, basing myself from old perspectives.

I guess this article would be interesting.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-draft-review/

Chase D'Arnaud seems pretty good. SS with nice walk rate at 11% and good AVG/OBP along with some pretty nice speed.
Ranked number 7 on Fangraphs' list and they had this to say about him.

D’Arnaud has come a long way in a short time. The infielder looked like a future MLB utility player when he was drafted, but he’s worked hard to improve his skill set and he reached high-A in ‘09 as a 22-year-old. The right-handed hitter batted .291/.394/.427 in 213 low-A at-bats before moving up to high-A where he hit .295/.402/.481 in 210 at-bats. D’Arnaud produced solid walk rates at both levels, right around 12.4%, but his strikeout rate rose 5% to 19.5% upon his promotion. With that, though, his power increased from an ISO of .136 to .186. If the power fluctuation is just a tease, D’Arnaud still has some added value on the base paths after stealing 31 bases in 39 attempts. He won’t ever match former starter Jack Wilson on defense, but D’Arnaud is solid in the field, and he should produce more on offense.

Nice I hope he does well in AA. Any takes on him?
I have high hopes for d'Arnaud, but he's off to a poor start this year. He's one of my favorite prospects in the system, and the fact that he can play three positions legitimately well makes him very appealing (2B prospect mainly, but plays equally as well at SS where necessary in the minors, has played well in 3B when called upon to do so). He's another slap hitter prospect, which is something the Pirates have a ton of though (Alvarez and Quincy Latimore are about the only legitimate power prospects we have right now, and I'm not very high on Latimore at all). He seems like one of those prospects that isn't necessarily great at anything, but good enough at everything that he'll make it along. Throw in an (apparent) great attitude and you have something...but he's not going to solve the Pirates woes.

Old
05-15-2010, 11:11 PM
AK

Quote:
The McCutchen pick is an aberration...seriously, I don't know how it happened.

Littlefield was the worst GM in baseball history. He drafted Danny Moskos over Matt Wieters as a baseball decision. As much as I ****ing hate Pirates ownership, that pick isn't their fault. In the very next draft Huntington showed a willingness to deal with Wieters' agent Scott Boras in signing Alvarez for more than Wieters signed for. I mean, yes, Wieters signed for more than Moskos did...but last year the Pirates signed the 4th overall pick (the pick Moskos was drafted with three years previously) Tony Sanchez for roughly $2.5 million, aka slot value...which has gone up in the three years. Moskos signed for $4.2 million. Not only did Littlefield draft a guy that everyone and their ****ing sister called a sandwich round talent about 35 picks too soon, he paid the guy like he was a legitimate #4 pick. As much as I hate the guy, Bob Nutting wasn't going to stand between $1.8 million in signing bonuses for a guy who is going to make the Orioles...well he's going to make them a lot of money while Danny Moskos, regardless of what he ever accomplishes in the Majors, will always be the most undeserved villain in Pirates history (seriously, can you blame the kid for cashing in when dealing with a retard?).

Ugh. Seriously, I want to dip that ****er in acid for the crimes he committed against the sport of baseball. Screw even just being a Pirates fan, he ****ed baseball up by forfeiting nearly a decade of Pirates baseball. Bob Nutting may well be the worst owner in sports...and he is...but the money the Pirates aren't spending right now that is in the budget is being used equally in improving the scouting and signing budgets three-fold and the rest in savings for future contracts. Huntington, unlike Littlefield, isn't about to use a surplus in budget to trade for Matt Morris (~$10 million contract...and giving up a guy who is an every day starter in the Majors today for him) or claim Cesar Izturis (back-up shortstop making $5.5 million). Either the man has balls like steel or he's legitimately interested in putting a team together that may actually work rather than a team that may win 75 games in a season and extend his contract by a year. The second the Pirates lose Huntington we're back in the horrific place we've been in since Barry Bonds forgot how to throw the ball in October of 1992, because he will get a job offer from an actually legitimate team before long, and we won't luck into a guy like him again.
I still like Moskos, though, and I feel bad for him. It's not at all his fault that Dave Littlefield is the worst GM in the history of spots. He's an above average relief prospect who I'd love to have if he was taken in any round but the first, anywhere but in front of Matt Wieters. I don't want to talk about Rajai Davis for Matt Morris. I'd prefer not to slit my wrists tonight.

I agree that Huntington is crucial for the Pirates. He's a very smart man, and he doesn't make brash moves just to say he spent money and did something bold. He "gets it," if such a thing is to be gotten. The jury's technically still out since most of their top prospects are in the low minors, but there's finally a glimmer of hope.

@ Obanga-

I don't see d'Arnaud as much more upside than a so-so starting shortstop, but that's not a bad asset to have at your disposal. He won't hit for any power, but he has a glove and can put his bat on the ball. It's not like there's anyone in the organization blocking him right now, but I wouldn't mind taking Manny Machado in the draft, which would basically end d'Arnaud's bid to ever start for the Pirates at short.