HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

75th World Ice Hockey Championship 2011, Bratislava and Košice,365 days and counting

Old
04-29-2010, 08:01 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
75th World Ice Hockey Championship 2011, Bratislava and Košice,365 days and counting

75th World Ice Hockey Championship 2011

Bratislava and Košice
29th April- 15th May 2011

MASCOT

Gazda
Gerly
Speedy
Wulfy
GOOLY is the winner! (and gets new image too, thank God)

Candidature video

TIMELINE:
-19.05.2006 at 16:10- René Fasel announces that Slovakia will host the 2011 IIHF World Ice Hockey Championship, having won 70 of the 114 votes.
-04.04.2007- SZĽH announces that new arena will be built in Petržalka on right bank of the Danube river and Prístavný bridge with a capacity of 12 000 and sheduled to open in August or September 2010
-03.10.2007- Arena in Bratislava might also be built nearby Nepela rink in Tehelné pole area
-31.01.2008- Vladimír Bajan, chairman of the Bratislava selfgovernment proposes arena for 2011 WHC in Petržalka
-06.03.2008- Town MP´s in Bratislava decide that the arena for the WHC should be built at the place of current basic chool on Kalinčiakova Street
-27.08.2008- it was decided that the Ondrej Nepela Winter Stadium will be rebuilt for the WHC 2011, paid by the state
-23.04.2009- the rebuilding of the Ondrej Nepela officially started
-15.05.2009- according to NMS agenture survey on 355 respondents 88% know that Slovakia will organize the WHC 2011, but 60% of the have doubts whether the roganization will be good, 49% of respondents agrees with the 2011 WHC, 39% more agree, 10% think that the championship will be a flop for the organizators and 28% believe that the organozation will be good
-11.06.2009 - first meeting with Infront Sports, IIHF´s marketing partner
-12.08.2009- second meeting with Infront Sports
-30.11.2009- building of trainign rink in Košice launched
-25.03.2010- 400 days to World Championship
-06.04.2010- The mascot- a wolf of the WHC is publicized, fans get the opportunity to choos the name
-23.04.2010- Slovenia promotes from Division I and will play in Slovakia 2011
-23.04.2010- 5 finalists for the name for the mascot are known: Gazda, Gerly, Gooly, Speedy, Wulfy
-25.04.2010- Austria promotes from Division I and will play in Slovakia 2011
-29.04.2010- A year to the 2011 World Ice Hockey Championship in Slovakia, the name of the mascot will be known, countdown will be started in the evening by Hotel Carlton on Hviezdoslav square in Bratislava and on Main Street in Košice

Venues

STEEL ARENA , KOŠICE
Štadión Ladislava Trojáka/Ladislav Trojak Stadium
Arena capacity: 8 378
Built in: 2006

Visualization:

Outside:

Inside:

Training rink visualization:

Current state:

SAMSUNG ARENA, BRATISLAVA
Zimný štadión Ondreja Nepelu/Ondrej Nepela Winter Stadium
Cost: 63 million EURO
Arena capacity: 10 000 (8 026 before reconstruction)
Built in: reconstruction started on April 23rd 2009, expected end November 30th 2010 (February 28th with training rinks)

Visualizations:

Before reconstruction:

Current state:

NOTE: Most of the arena pictures are from skyscrapercity forum, visit their 2011 World Championship in Slovakia topic here to follow the progress on the arenas.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 04-29-2010 at 01:13 PM.
slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post

Candidature video

Holy flashback. Róbert Švehla sighting!

I wish Hossa didn't read straight off the card, it was a little too obvious. Also liked Demitras comment about girls.

Good thread tho. Very excited for the games.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Holy flashback. Róbert Švehla sighting!

I wish Hossa didn't read straight off the card, it was a little too obvious. Also liked Demitras comment about girls.

Good thread tho. Very excited for the games.
Mr. Švehla by the way is the currenty chief of youth development in Dukla trenčín.

As for the video, I think most of them just read it, but I really don´t see how Kamzik can claim that the level of our hockey player is very good. Overall the video was nice, although some parts of it aren´t true anymore, highest number of NHL players per capita or never even were true, like that new arena in Bratislava thing etc.

The mascot for the championship was originally supposed to look like this and was made by a Swiss, how did last year´s as well:

Similarity with random drunk primitive Ján S. from Žilina is just a coincidence

Let´s just say that he wasn´t very warmly welcomed by pretty much anyone in Slovakia. And after all SZĽH decided to change the wolf and we got one from a Slovak artist:

Still, SZĽH claims wolf to be a typical Slovak animal, but none of the zoologists really agree with them. A Kamzík would be more appropriate but at leats this one doesn´t look like he´s high and kinda looks nice.

Anyway Gooly (pronounced sth like Goohly) was officially christened and countdowns to the 2011 WHC were started yesterday, those look like this:

Video from yesterday can be watched here

I think they could have been a bit more careful with the name, considering what gooly means in English, I know the name originiates from gool/goal and it is supposed to be pronouced góly, but I´m sure the English speakers will call him gúly. I personally liked Wulfy from the 5 proposals the most, though I still believe that Tunelko would fit him the most.

EDIT: There also was a discussion show on STV : 1 year to the WHC in Slovakia yesterday and it can be watched here for Slovak speakers who might be interested.

364 days and counting!!!

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 04-30-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old
05-15-2010, 01:06 PM
slovakiasnextone

Official trailer

Old
05-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Kamzik

I was hoping for another speaking part for Ivan Gasparovic, with Lubomir Jahnatek providing English translation.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Do you think that there will be extra incentive for the NHL players to come play next year since the games are on ''home ice'' for the first time?

Old
05-16-2010, 02:29 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Do you think that there will be extra incentive for the NHL players to come play next year since the games are on ''home ice'' for the first time?
It is the general belief over here that the plyers won´t miss such an opportunity and that some of the older plyers will make it their lst goodbye party....

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-16-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old
05-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Washington Capitals

Let's hope they finish the arenas on time.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
Let's hope they finish the arenas on time.
Is it a real concern that they won't?

Old
05-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Is it a real concern that they won't?
The state of Samsung arena looks suspicious. From what I've heard they had some delays and are behind the schedule.

Old
05-17-2010, 06:18 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
The state of Samsung arena looks suspicious. From what I've heard they had some delays and are behind the schedule.
Really? I actually heard that they were further than they should have been a few months ago and are on time now.

Old
05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Really? I actually heard that they were further than they should have been a few months ago and are on time now.
It was on Markiza, I believe.

Anyway, another thing that bugs me is there won't a parking lot in the nearby of the arena. I'm a lil bit sceptical about it. Will the temporary bus transportation work out?

Old
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
It was on Markiza, I believe.

Anyway, another thing that bugs me is there won't a parking lot in the nearby of the arena. I'm a lil bit sceptical about it. Will the temporary bus transportation work out?
Well, I´d rather rely on that thread on skyscrapercity I posted in the first post than Markíza, there are people who follow the progress very closely and I think that sometimes even someone working on the building posts some pictures/info on there.

As for the 2nd part, as long as I know it did work out for the Czechs in 2004.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
slovakiasnextone

Groups

GROUP A (Bratislava)
Russia
Slovakia
Germany
Slovenia

GROUP B (Košice)

Canada
Switzerland
Belarus
France

GROUP C (Košice)

Sweden
United States
Norway
Austria

GROUP D (Bratislava)

Finland
Czech republic
Latvia
Denmark

All play-off games will be played in Bratislava, relegation round in Košice.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:55 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Scumbaggery of highest order.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:03 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Scumbaggery of highest order.
What? It was to be expected that Slovakia will play the group in Bratislava, bigger arena and all. Maybe they should have given Košice at least those 2 quarterfinals, but it wouldn´t even mean that they´d actually get to see Slovakia play as we might not make it to the quarterfinals or we still could play the quarterfinal in Bratislava. A lot will depend on the players who actually come to the WHC teams, but in a non-Olympic year all of Sweden, Canada and US might bring better players than all of the teams in BA except for Russia. And I personally believe thet the IIHF also wanted it this way, because Steel Arena is way too small for the home team´s game (though every rink in the world would be for this one probably) and they probably consider it too small for play-off games as well.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:36 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

The difference in capacity ain't that big, 1.5k at most. Bottom line, it's like having Champs in Ottawa and Montreal and giving all Team Canada games *and* all the important games to Ottawa - well, if Ottawa was a hideous hellhole with minimal interest in hockey, that is.

Would it kill them to have two quarters and a semi in Kosice?

Old
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
The difference in capacity ain't that big, 1.5k at most. Bottom line, it's like having Champs in Ottawa and Montreal and giving all Team Canada games *and* all the important games to Ottawa - well, if Ottawa was a hideous hellhole with minimal interest in hockey, that is.

Would it kill them to have two quarters and a semi in Kosice?
Considering that when they put in that Škoda car and all Steel Arena´s capacity will be somewhere around 7000, so yeah 1500 is lots and lots when talking about numbers under 10 000.

It´s not like Slovakia is a big country and people from all around the country will travel hundreds of kilometers to Bratislava and Košice. It´s not like the tourney was awarded to people of Košice only and only alone. Some of this small minded people from Košice are starting to piss me off. I suppose the whole tournament should have been played at Košice, right? The fact is that the majority of the country would much rather travel to Bratislava than to Košice to watch those games and let´s not even speak about the foreigners.

Maybe thos two quarterfinals might have been there, but you have to be kidding with that semifinal, right? It´s not like the bronze/gold medal games are played the day after the semifinals, I could already see how all the federations/players would have been happy to have to travel before the bronze/gold medal game, it´s not like it would handicap them, right?

My travel to Bratislava from where I live is twice shorter than my travel to Košice, but I´d like to see Sweden play and if I get my hands on a ticket to their games and can actually afford them, I will travel all the way to Košice to see them play. Some of those crybabies from Košice seriously piss me off therefore.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Considering that when they put in that Škoda car and all Steel Arena´s capacity will be somewhere around 7000, so yeah 1500 is lots and lots when talking about numbers under 10 000.

It´s not like Slovakia is a big country and people from all around the country will travel hundreds of kilometers to Bratislava and Košice. It´s not like the tourney was awarded to people of Košice only and only alone. Some of this small minded people from Košice are starting to piss me off. I suppose the whole tournament should have been played at Košice, right? The fact is that the majority of the country would much rather travel to Bratislava than to Košice to watch those games and let´s not even speak about the foreigners.
What sort of 'fact' is that? Western Slovakia is not the majority. And you have to be kidding with the foreigners prefering by far the uglier and touristically less worthwhile city. The only reason one might prefer BA is proximity to Wien.

Quote:
Maybe thos two quarterfinals might have been there, but you have to be kidding with that semifinal, right? It´s not like the bronze/gold medal games are played the day after the semifinals, I could already see how all the federations/players would have been happy to have to travel before the bronze/gold medal game, it´s not like it would handicap them, right?
Or just replace it with the bronze game. Besides, the one hour flight from KE to BA would hardly be a problem, it might even take as long for the other team to get from the arena in BA to their hotel.

Quote:
My travel to Bratislava from where I live is twice shorter than my travel to Košice, but I´d like to see Sweden play and if I get my hands on a ticket to their games and can actually afford them, I will travel all the way to Košice to see them play. Some of those crybabies from Košice seriously piss me off therefore.
Your travel doesn't mean that half the country should be completely screwed out of home and meaningful games.

Besides, BA is simply not a hockey town in the slightest. It doesn't deserve having everything just by the 'virtue' of being the capital. Their arena is being built using all taxpayers' money, and it sickens me to see my money, and the money of half the country - aside from being embezzled by Siroky and his cronies - used to build a hockey arena in a city with no hockey culture to speak of, with all relevant games being played there as well.

Oh well, at least the fans from abroad will be able to 'enjoy' the glorious BA and the incredible parking solution they plan for the WCs.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
What sort of 'fact' is that? Western Slovakia is not the majority. And you have to be kidding with the foreigners prefering by far the uglier and touristically less worthwhile city. The only reason one might prefer BA is proximity to Wien.

Or just replace it with the bronze game. Besides, the one hour flight from KE to BA would hardly be a problem, it might even take as long for the other team to get from the arena in BA to their hotel.

Your travel doesn't mean that half the country should be completely screwed out of home and meaningful games.

Besides, BA is simply not a hockey town in the slightest. It doesn't deserve having everything just by the 'virtue' of being the capital. Their arena is being built using all taxpayers' money, and it sickens me to see my money, and the money of half the country - aside from being embezzled by Siroky and his cronies - used to build a hockey arena in a city with no hockey culture to speak of, with all relevant games being played there as well.

Oh well, at least the fans from abroad will be able to 'enjoy' the glorious BA and the incredible parking solution they plan for the WCs.
Frist of all you´re showing that your knowledge about hockey preparations of a team is very minimal, if you think that moving between two cities for back to bac games in the hockey event of the year for the most important games is just a matter of an "one hour flight"

And tell me please what glorious is there to see in Košice for those foreign tourists? Enjoying the beauty sights of Luník IX? (I hate mentioning that when speaking to people from Košice, I´m reserving it just for the likes of you who think that Košice is something special). The fact is that the numbers of foreign tourists in BA are uncomparable to KE and yeah they most probably prefer the closeness of Vienna to BA rather than the closeness of Košice to Ukraine. Yeah, I know that sounds pretty arrogant and offedning, but that´s exactly how you sound when speaking about Bratislava.

I used my travel just as an example, I´m not the only one who will travel, this is not an event that is reserved for the people of Košice only and alone, it´s for us all. The majority of people from central Slovakia would prefer it if the rinks for the WHC were built somewhere between Zvolen abd BB and Slovakia would play there, but I don´t see any of us crying about it like some of the Košice crybabies.

I couldn´t care less which town is/isn´t a hockey town, this is not about how much of fans the people in any town of Slovakia, the fact is that during the World Hockey Championships everyone in the country is a hockey fan and it wouldn´t matter to me and 99% people of the country even if Slovakia played in Horná-Dolná.

The real fans of hokey in Košice are looking forward to possibly seeing 3 of the best teams in the tourney (in an non-Olympic team), which still is 99% more than any other town outside of BA in the country gets, the likes of you can keep on crying.

EDIT: And it´s nothing unusual that all play-off games are played in the main arena, actually it has happened 4 times in the recent history of the tourney:
2009-Bern
2007- Moscow
2006- Riga (whole tourney played in Riga)
2004- Prague

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Frist of all you´re showing that your knowledge about hockey preparations of a team is very minimal, if you think that moving between two cities for back to bac games in the hockey event of the year for the most important games is just a matter of an "one hour flight"
Or maybe you could try reading and realize that I compared the time it'd take to get from arena to hotel in that permanent traffic jam called BA to flying from KE to BA...

Quote:
And tell me please what glorious is there to see in Košice for those foreign tourists? Enjoying the beauty sights of Luník IX? (I hate mentioning that when speaking to people from Košice, I´m reserving it just for the likes of you who think that Košice is something special). The fact is that the numbers of foreign tourists in BA are uncomparable to KE and yeah they most probably prefer the closeness of Vienna to BA rather than the closeness of Košice to Ukraine. Yeah, I know that sounds pretty arrogant and offedning, but that´s exactly how you sound when speaking about Bratislava.
Well, the vast majority of tourists in BA are friggin' english stag parties. As for what is there to see, you mean aside from the several times bigger historic city centre than BA's, or the cathedral that makes BA's look like a wooden chapel? Right... What's in BA anyway? A castle that looks more like a block, UFO bridge and their own Lunik IX attempt in Petrzalka?

Quote:
I used my travel just as an example, I´m not the only one who will travel, this is not an event that is reserved for the people of Košice only and alone, it´s for us all. The majority of people from central Slovakia would prefer it if the rinks for the WHC were built somewhere between Zvolen abd BB and Slovakia would play there, but I don´t see any of us crying about it like some of the Košice crybabies.
Well, for a real arena and WCs BB and ZV would have to have more than five and a half inhabitants, unfortunately.

Quote:
I couldn´t care less which town is/isn´t a hockey town, this is not about how much of fans the people in any town of Slovakia, the fact is that during the World Hockey Championships everyone in the country is a hockey fan and it wouldn´t matter to me and 99% people of the country even if Slovakia played in Horná-Dolná.

The real fans of hokey in Košice are looking forward to possibly seeing 3 of the best teams in the tourney (in an non-Olympic team), which still is 99% more than any other town outside of BA in the country gets, the likes of you can keep on crying.

EDIT: And it´s nothing unusual that all play-off games are played in the main arena, actually it has happened 4 times in the recent history of the tourney:
2009-Bern
2007- Moscow
2006- Riga (whole tourney played in Riga)
2004- Prague
The only comparable from that list is Bern, FWIW.

Anyway, yeah I'll get to see Canada's games at least. It's just unfortunate that our NT will be stuck with the sort of 'support' that BA 'fans' tend to provide, where the greatest activity is throwing food on the ice.

Old
05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Or maybe you could try reading and realize that I compared the time it'd take to get from arena to hotel in that permanent traffic jam called BA to flying from KE to BA...

Well, the vast majority of tourists in BA are friggin' english stag parties. As for what is there to see, you mean aside from the several times bigger historic city centre than BA's, or the cathedral that makes BA's look like a wooden chapel? Right... What's in BA anyway? A castle that looks more like a block, UFO bridge and their own Lunik IX attempt in Petrzalka?

Well, for a real arena and WCs BB and ZV would have to have more than five and a half inhabitants, unfortunately.

The only comparable from that list is Bern, FWIW.

Anyway, yeah I'll get to see Canada's games at least. It's just unfortunate that our NT will be stuck with the sort of 'support' that BA 'fans' tend to provide, where the greatest activity is throwing food on the ice.
Maybe you are not capable of understanding this, but the people at Slovakia´s game will not be only from Bratislava, they will be from all over the country. It would be the same in Košice, the number of people from Košice there would be minimal. The whole "smotánka" from all of the country that will be capable to actually afford to buy tickets for the Slovak games and will manage to get it´s hand on them that is.

Anyway, what can I say to you? A big IGNORE to all of your post from now on, you´re much of a bigger ignorant than the majority of Bratislava citizens are. I don´t even need to comment your comments regarding Bratislava, anyone reading them can create an image of you alone.

Old
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
zorz

Don't worry people. You forgot relegation round takes place in Košice? Seems like fans in Košice will enjoy their team as well

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Don't worry people. You forgot relegation round takes place in Košice? Seems like fans in Košice will enjoy their team as well

Getting relegated at home would surely be hilarious.

Old
05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Kiraly

Quote:
Getting relegated at home would surely be hilarious.
I cannot realistically foresee a set of circumstances that would conclude with the relegation of Slovakia on home ice. I think the most likely scenario will be that Russia and Slovakia will battle it out for first place in the group.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote