HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Iginla willing to waive NTC if it works for his family?

Old
05-16-2010, 10:00 AM
HALAKIT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouliot Ness View Post
I was happy reading this intense forum war, up until i read this. This simple phrase has totally annihilated your whole argument that you are knowledgeable in what is important for winning hockey games. -(or should i say championships)

A guy with a contract negotiation coming up that is willing to prioritize really good defensive coverage, over amassing points in a loosing cause is gold my friend.

And that is coming from a guy that isn't even that much of a Plek fan.
I guess I was a bit harsh on Pleks, but I expect more goals from a center. On the other hand, I am quite content with Scott Gomez' play this post season, and I think Pleks has been learning a lot from him. I guess I should give the kid more credit. I want to resign Pleks. The Iginla idea includes Pleks and Cammy on the line. I still say it would be sweet to have Jarome join the team, but only if we need him. When we win the cup this year, we will be expected to defend well next year. There will be some movement within the team, not much thankfully, but there will be enough happening that the cap room needed to pick up Iggy's 7 mil contract will materialize. Especially if we can dump Hamrlik.

HALAKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfantoronto View Post
I love watching arguments on here sometimes. I really find it amusing seeing the written tone that is taken when addressing someone who is newer on the boards. I usually come here to find news links and rumours about injuries or trades, but every so often there is this conversation witnessed that just cries "internet rhetoric" and I have to keep reading. The two of you bring joy to my heart.

And just to clarify...there is a world outside the walls of ethernet cable you wrap yourself in. If someone is new to a message board it doesn't mean he's 12 and just got a computer, it means that he could have just found this board you have taken ownership of. Doesn't make him a troll for sticking up for himself or his opinions either. We're all Habs fans here so why talk down to someone electronically? ......
Ok - first on the "we treat the newcomers badly" - I need to explain a few things (I also consider myself rather a newcomer).

See - there are many Habs centered forums around the internet. Most of the ones I saw, french or english, favor a "highly emotional" style of posting and poster. The kind of poster that goes beserk if you do not agree with him, that goes into name calling and uses the "I shout louder therefore I'm right" argument.

We have some of these around here. Usually they come and go. Not kicked (unless they do something clearly wrong) but out of boredom.

However - the part I liked the most about these forum is that we also have a rather large group of posters (and mods) that use common sense and are less "aggressive". I learned a lot about hockey, about the Habs and even about the Habs prospects here, from knowledgeable people.

So - while no one will bash newcomers, we recommend them to adhere to our style and way of posting. Otherwise you will get bored and leave.

On Iginla - sure he is a good player, in his prime. But so was Lecavalier last year and boy, am I glad we did not sign him. I do not think the "star power" element would work in the current model of the Habs. It would be like getting Gaborik or Kovalchuk - it could hurt our basic team-building values.

So - I'm all for raising our all-stars from within instead of buying overpriced ones. Plekanec is one of these potential all-stars. I would rather pay Plekanec 5.6 mil for 7 years then Iginla 7 mil for 7 years. Call me crazy if you want.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
HALAKIT

You're crazy.

Old
05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
kovaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Cammalleri/Pleckanek/Iginla
Pouliot/Gomez/Gionta
Moen/Moore/Lappierre
Pyatt/ depth player/ White

Markov/O'byrne
Spacek/Subban
Gill/Gorges

Holy Mama!!!!!!!!
I just squirted in my paints

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
timbitca

Iginla to MTL? Where can I Paypal money to chip in on the flight?

I'll take a guy like him on my team any damn day of the week, with certain reservations on what's going the other way though, but it'd be a great piece to add to an already good lineup

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Captain Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I do not think the "star power" element would work in the current model of the Habs. It would be like getting Gaborik or Kovalchuk - it could hurt our basic team-building values.
While i do agree that having a "star power element" is not the best thing for the habs (with the current core and what they have shown up to now), i still feel Iginla is not the type of player to bring discord to a team. I always found him to be a great leader, a player with integrity that is willing to give it all for his colleges.

Fitting him under cap and the asking price to trade for him is the real issue here, in my opinion. Not wondering if he would fit or not in our team of soldiers. Because i think he would. But that's just me. what do i know i am under 100 posts

Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Stan

I love Iginla but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the asking price. I think I'd rather take a run at a guy like Malkin, where the asking price could be steep but he's young and will be with the team for the long haul.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:51 AM
HALAKIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I love Iginla but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the asking price. I think I'd rather take a run at a guy like Malkin, where the asking price could be steep but he's young and will be with the team for the long haul.
The problem with Malkin is I fear he is another Kovalev. He performed better with Cindy out of the lineup last season than he has the rest of his career so far. Go figure. He likes the limelight.
Iggy on the other hand is a team player, and doesn't quit. He still has a lot of great hockey left in him. It would be an absolute honour to have him wear the CH.

Old
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I would kill to have Jarome Iginla on this team, but I think it's just a pipe dream, and nothing more. He's an amazing player and he'd fit right in.

I would part with a lot to get him, not Subban though. Coming from someone who has stood by Price his whole career, and this whole season, I would include him in a trade for Iginla in one second.

Problem is, I think if you do believe that Price needs a change of scenery, it probably shouldn't be to another Canadian team. I don't know a whole lot about the city of Calgary, but I'm assuming they're pretty fanatic about their Flames, much like we are with the Habs. I'm just probably going to have to go out on a limb and think that the media there might be a little better than they are here, so maybe it's good regardless.

I would maybe package Price, the Kostitsyns, and another player along with a pick to get Iginla. That' how highly I think of him.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:11 AM
The Right Price

I think Calgary would be asking way too much for him, so no!!

The Iginla-ship has sailed some 5 years ago. Plus we don't have the cap space for him anyway so let's just forget him, he's not that good anyways.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
First of no room for his salary. And maybe I am alone or in a small minority but paying what some people are saying here with regards to talent and picks for a 33 year old forward who is not what he once was is not a smart move by any stretch of the imagination. His point totals have decreased in each of the last two years. For only the second time in his career, the last time being his first two years in the league, he had consecutive minus seasons. Just not worth it.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DainiusZubrus View Post
I think Calgary would be asking way too much for him, so no!!

The Iginla-ship has sailed some 5 years ago. Plus we don't have the cap space for him anyway so let's just forget him, he's not that good anyways.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Ginu

Having Iginla would be great, but when you see that he's 33, does that change your view? Are you willing to part with 3 or 4 young players who have their whole careers in front of them? I wouldn't mind parting with the Kostitsyns but Calgary won't do it. Iginla is the focal point of their offense and those guys won't replace him in Calgary.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:22 AM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eazy View Post
Im a big price fan, i agree with you price had a very good start of the season and a solid season overall but when was Price clutch in the nhl when it matters the most? he was good(not amazing ) in the bruins series 2 years back, but then was awful in the philly series, we actually totally outplayed philly that series but habs where totally out goalied.

i think Price has been VERY clutch all his career prior to his nhl dedut but hasent proven anything at the nhl level yet
Shame on Price for not winning the conn smyth at 20/21. At 22 when Halak had to replace Price in the Philly series how good did "Mr.Clutch" fair? Was it 4 or 5 goals he let in

It's unbelivable how one playoff run at 24 makes Halak some clutch machine

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
McNuts

Iginla is past his prime and would cost a very good player, a very good prospect and a 1st round pick, so no thanks.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:26 AM
MXD

Don't think it's gonna happen in a salary cap world.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovaless View Post
I just squirted in my paints

Old
05-16-2010, 11:40 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Shame on Price for not winning the conn smyth at 20/21. At 22 when Halak had to replace Price in the Philly series how good did "Mr.Clutch" fair? Was it 4 or 5 goals he let in

It's unbelivable how one playoff run at 24 makes Halak some clutch machine
U have to bring another Halak vs Price in every ******* thread

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
U have to bring another Halak vs Price in every ******* thread
Isn't this a debate site? When I say something about Halak 45 posters comment back yet when someone says something about Price im not allowed to comment back ?...

Old
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I know the Flames need firepower. Maybe if we threw our 1st, Trunev or Naatinen, AK, SK, and Maxwell for Iginla Calgary might bite.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
la25ecoupe

Cammy - Plek - Iggy
Trotter - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Moore - Pouliot
Pyatt - Laps - White

Markov - OB
PK - Spacek
Gill - Gorges

Price
Halak

AK+SK+1st2010+Patches+Weber gone

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Cammy - Plek - Iggy
Trotter - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Moore - Pouliot
Pyatt - Laps - White

Markov - OB
PK - Spacek
Gill - Gorges

Price
Halak

Believe it or not I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

Old
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Cammy - Plek - Iggy
Trotter - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Moore - Pouliot
Pyatt - Laps - White

Markov - OB
PK - Spacek
Gill - Gorges

Price
Halak

And the cap for this team?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
We could never afford Ingila. And I would not give up any one our Stanley Cup champion players for him.

The only trade I'd do would be:

to Calgary Flames: Andrei Kostitsyn,Ryan O'Byrne, Roman Harmlik, Max Pacioretty,Glen Metropolit, and mid-level prospects Yannick Weber,Shawn Belle,Ryan White, Ben Maxwell. I forgot they also have to take George Laraque off our hands.
to Montreal Canadiens: Jay Bouwmeester, Mikael Backlund

Take it or leave it.

But Calgary has no need for goaltender Price so a trade between them will never happen.

to Montreal Canadiens: Kris Versteeg
to Chicago Blackhawks: Sergie Kostitsyn,Mathieu Carle, 2010 5th round pick

to St Louis: Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, 2010 2nd round pick
to Montreal: Alex Pietrangelo, 2010 1st round pick(14)

to New York Islanders: St Louis Blues 2010 first round pick(14), Montreal Canadiens first round pick(30)
to Montreal Canadiens: New York Islanders first round pick(5th=Kirill Kabanov)

2010/2011 Roster

Forwards:
Mike Cammalleri(6) - Tomas Plekanec(4.5) - Kris Versteeg(3.1)
Travis Moen(1.5) - Scott Gomez(7.357) - Brian Gionta(5)
Benoit Pouliot(1) - Dominic Moore (1.15) -Manny Malhotra(ufa)(.9)
Mikael Backlund(.875) - Maxim Lapierre(1)- Tom Pyatt(0.85)
Marc-Andre Bergeron(.75 on pp and 4th line spare)
Defencemen:
Andrei Markov(5.75) - Alex Pietrangelo(1.6)
Jay Bouwmeester (6.7) - P.K. Subban(0.875)
Hal Gill(2.25) - Josh Gorges(1.1)
Alexei Emelin(.9)
Goalies:
Jaroslav Halak(3.2)
Sanford(.6)

Cap Used = ~56.8
lol, I don't mean to sound negative but I highly doubt any of those would work. Maybe the Versteeg one which I would do.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Iginla will be playing in Pittsburgh next summer in a deal like this:

To Pittsburgh:

Jerome Iginla + Steven Staios

To Calgary:

Jordan Staal + Alex Goligoski + 1st round draft pick in 2010 (20th overall)

The calgary flames will build around Staal and are in rebuild mode so can use a 1st round draft pick that they traded to Phoenix this summer, and Iginla was born to play with Crosby and Pittsburgh needs scoring/skilled wingers.

I just don't get this fascination withan Jordan Staal

This guy is going to live off his brother's (Eric) reputation his entire career.

Eric Stall is the talented brother (the 2009 playoff run proved it) .... Jordan Staal isn't even half as talented. He's just a regular NHL'er, nothing more.

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote