HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Iginla willing to waive NTC if it works for his family?

Old
05-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Rushtime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
I just don't get this fascination withan Jordan Staal

This guy is going to live off his brother's (Eric) reputation his entire career.

Eric Stall is the talented brother (the 2009 playoff run proved it) .... Jordan Staal isn't even half as talented. He's just a regular NHL'er, nothing more.
Hum no .. 6'4 ..21 years old .. got 50 points in his last two years playing on the third line with no wingers .. One of the best two way players in the league ..
When this guy will be regular on a top line he will be a ppg player and a selke finalist each years

Rushtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Captain Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
to Montreal Canadiens: New York Islanders first round pick(5th=Kirill Kabanov)
Isn't Kabanov projected way lower then that nowadays ?

Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
timbitca

Quote:

This guy is going to live off his brother's (Eric) reputation his entire career.

Eric Stall is the talented brother (the 2009 playoff run proved it) .... Jordan Staal isn't even half as talented. He's just a regular NHL'er, nothing more.
How many 49pt, 3rd line centers do you know, especially ones who don't get a lot of powerplay time per game. And who has missed 1 regular season game (scratched his rookie year) and 1 playoff game his entire career thus far. He works hard and delivers more than enough with his limited icetime, I'll take him on my team any day.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Smoke Monster

We could never afford Ingila. And I would not give up any one our Stanley Cup champion players for him.

The only trade I'd do would be:

to Calgary Flames: Andrei Kostitsyn,Ryan O'Byrne, Roman Harmlik.
to Montreal Canadiens: Mark Giordano, Mikael Backlund

Take it or leave it.

But Calgary has no need for goaltender Price so a trade between them will never happen.

to Montreal Canadiens: Kris Versteeg, Ben Eager
to Chicago Blackhawks: Sergie Kostitsyn, Max Pacioretty, 2010 4th round pick

to St Louis: Carey Price, Ben Maxwell,Glen Metropolit 2010 2nd round pick
to Montreal: Alex Pietrangelo, 2010 1st round pick(14)

to New York Islanders: St Louis Blues 2010 first round pick(14), Montreal Canadiens first round pick(30)
to Montreal Canadiens: New York Islanders first round pick(5th=Kirill Kabanov)

2010/2011 Roster

Forwards:
Mike Cammalleri(6) - Tomas Plekanec(4.5) - Kris Versteeg(3.1)
Travis Moen(1.5) - Scott Gomez(7.357) - Brian Gionta(5)
Benoit Pouliot(1) - Dominic Moore (1.15) - Mikael Backlund(.875)
Ben Eager(1) - Maxim Lapierre(1)- Tom Pyatt(0.85)
Marc-Andre Bergeron(.75 on pp and 4th line spare)
Defencemen:
Andrei Markov(5.75) - Alex Pietrangelo(1.6)
Spacek (3.8) - P.K. Subban(0.875)
Hal Gill(2.25) - Josh Gorges(1.1)
Mark Giordano(.9) - Alexei Emelin(.9)
Goalies:
Jaroslav Halak(4)
Sanford(.6)

Cap Used = ~56.8

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-16-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
lol, I don't mean to sound negative but I highly doubt any of those would work. Maybe the Versteeg one which I would do.
I posted before I was finished revising it.

I know a trade between Calagary and Montreal is unlikely.

Calgary players I'd be interested in are Giordano and Backlund.

We can't afford players like Iginla and Bouwmeester. Besides, I like our players: Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Markov, Halak, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Subban, Moen, Lapierre, Pyatt and the rest of our team. The only two players that I think are underperforming are Andrei Kostitsyn and Pouliot, and I'd be relunctant to trade because I think they have the potential to become very good players .

I think the Price trade to St Louis for Pietrangelo is possible. Why not? St Louis can't go wrong with Price. They already have a lot of good defenseman and can afford to let go of one.

The trade for two mid to low end 1st round picks for a high pick is unlikely.
I wonder what kind of trade between a high first round pick, let's say between 4-7, and two mid to low (between 14-30) end first round picks would work ?

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-16-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old
05-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Corey

Acquiring Iginla wouldn't be the optimal way to build for the future.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
And the cap for this team?
that's PG's job

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
2eazy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Shame on Price for not winning the conn smyth at 20/21. At 22 when Halak had to replace Price in the Philly series how good did "Mr.Clutch" fair? Was it 4 or 5 goals he let in

It's unbelivable how one playoff run at 24 makes Halak some clutch machine
Im not comparing the 2 goalies why are you bringing halak into this.
I was just responded to a post that said price has been clucth in big game this just hasent been the case in the nhl yet, I have been pretty happy with price progression in the nhl has most goalies develop much later.

And please dont downgrade what halak has done this postseason, He has put on one of the most dominant goalie performances in this decade
And about halak being clutch or not its hard to tell because he hasent been put in alot of huge game situations , but he has played 2 game 7 so far and both games he played amazing, maybe its variance or maybe hes good during big games?

Why do people always feel the need to compare halak and price when its not even the discussion

2eazy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:17 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Acquiring Iginla wouldn't be the optimal way to build for the future.
Our core players are in their prime for the next 4-6 years, and are signed for the next 4 years. So the future is kind of right now. Surprisingly enough, we're one of the oldest team in the NHL.

If there was a way to fit Iginla on the habs while keeping Markov, Subban, Halak, Plekanec, Gomez, Cammy and Gionta we should definitely do it.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:19 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Our core players are in their prime for the next 4-6 years, and are signed for the next 4 years. So the future is kind of right now. Surprisingly enough, we're one of the oldest team in the NHL.

If there was a way to fit Iginla on the habs while keeping Markov, Subban, Halak, Plekanec, Gomez, Cammy and Gionta we should definitely do it.
Almost 40 million in 7 players...(Markov,Gomez,Iginla,Cammy,Gionta,Halak, Plekanec)

No way we give up cheap youth for Iginla.

17 million to sign another 15 players

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:

I definitely agree.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:22 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Almost 40 million in 7 players...(Markov,Gomez,Iginla,Cammy,Gionta,Halak, Plekanec)

No way we give up cheap youth for Iginla.
If all 16 remaining players average 1M it can be done. But yeah, point taken, it's highly improbable. Thus why I said "if it can be done".

Old
05-16-2010, 03:25 PM
scottyG

Quote:
If all 16 remaining players average 1M it can be done. But yeah, point taken, it's highly improbable. Thus why I said "if it can be done".
He can be squizzed into the team, but then we would be like Tampa Bay, 2 good defensemen and 2 good lines with AHL players filling up the rest

It depends what we give up for him. What would you realisticly give up?

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:31 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
He can be squizzed into the team, but then we would be like Tampa Bay, 2 good defensemen and 2 good lines with AHL players filling up the rest

It depends what we give up for him. What would you realisticly give up?
I don't even want to entertain fantasy thoughts of what could be dealt for Iginla. I hate those types of posts. It depends on too many things and no one knows what would work.

But ... if you ask me... the only way it works for us is if they're interested in a SK, AK, prospects/picks type package. And the only way we can fit him in is by dealing Hamrlik, Spacek and signing Emelin to replace one of the aforementioned veteran dmen. And by Emelin stepping in someone's shoes and playing top notch D.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
How many 49pt, 3rd line centers do you know, especially ones who don't get a lot of powerplay time per game. And who has missed 1 regular season game (scratched his rookie year) and 1 playoff game his entire career thus far. He works hard and delivers more than enough with his limited icetime, I'll take him on my team any day.

How many 3rd line centers get to skate with E.Malkin or S.Crosby?

Go back and check those 49 pts and subtract the ones Malkin and/or Crosby were on the ice.

Guy is a 3rd line center, nothing special.

I'd take brother Marc Staal (d-man) ahead of him.

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
I don't even want to entertain fantasy thoughts of what could be dealt for Iginla. I hate those types of posts. It depends on too many things and no one knows what would work.

But ... if you ask me... the only way it works for us is if they're interested in a SK, AK, prospects/picks type package. And the only way we can fit him in is by dealing Hamrlik, Spacek and signing Emelin to replace one of the aforementioned veteran dmen. And by Emelin stepping in someone's shoes and playing top notch D.
This might sound crazy, but you know I'd rather keep Spacek - who has been playing for us with probably the biggest heart of all - than get Iginla. Besides getting Iginla I think would be a big mistake not only because this expensive guy (7million cap) is on the way down in his career ( being 32), but also it would mean a team with very little depth. Dumping SK,AK,Spacek, and a lot more? Why? We could instead trade for depth and prospects .

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-16-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old
05-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
How many 3rd line centers get to skate with E.Malkin or S.Crosby?

Go back and check those 49 pts and subtract the ones Malkin and/or Crosby were on the ice.

Guy is a 3rd line center, nothing special.

I'd take brother Marc Staal (d-man) ahead of him.
You have never watched Jordan Staal play.

Jarome would never come here.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouliot Ness View Post
Isn't Kabanov projected way lower then that nowadays ?
I would be very suprised if he goes later than 10th. Projected 5th here:
http://nhlyoungguns.com/NHL-2010-Ent...-List-Top-210/

I could see him going earlier. Watch him play. He reminds me of skills that you would find in a Kharlamov and Lemieux. This guy is a pure natural sniper that you find once a decade.

Old
05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

I could see him going earlier. Watch him play. He reminds me of skills that you would find in a Kharlamov and Lemieux. This guy is a pure natural sniper that you find once a decade.
Man, are you ever behind in the times. Those rankings were before he got kicked off two teams (Moncton Wildcats and then Russian U-18 team). I hope you enjoyed your hibernation.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
TankEller*

I hate the idea of dealing Markov, I absolutely HATE it, but I think I'd consider a Markov/Iginla swap.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Man, are you ever behind in the times. Those rankings were before he got kicked off two teams (Moncton Wildcats and then Russian U-18 team). I hope you enjoyed your hibernation.
I don't care about those rankings. They change all the time. I would still choose him in the top 10 picks. Wait 5 years and come back here and let's see if you are right about not choosing a player who has obviously more talent than 90% of the players in the nhl .

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old
05-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

There's a fascination with him because of his potential. He's big, can skate, has a good vision, playing as shutdown guy means he's a solid two-way player, has everything that you need in a player, but more importantly he does that while being a center. A rare breed in the NHL(big, talented center). And while he has all this, he's stuck playing third center because he plays below Crosby and Malkin and several teams and fanbases are salivating at the prospect that he could become a top two first lines center for them. I don't think he's ever going to be a top point scorer but when you have someone like him centering your second line for example, it makes your team better, at least it gives you a solid makeup. The Habs for example, would be in heaven with someone like Staal since they're not asking for the moon, they just want a big, somewhat talented center.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:

IMO, he will go in the middle of 1st round, not higher.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I hate the idea of dealing Markov, I absolutely HATE it, but I think I'd consider a Markov/Iginla swap.
I think we have to keep Markov.

Last night's game against Philly basically proved that Subban isn't ready to be our No. 1 D yet. We need to keep Markov around to be a good influence on the kid, and also to take some pressure off of him.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:47 AM
neofury*

It's funny this is coming out now. I've been saying this to my friend for quite some time now, Calgary seems to be moving in a new direction (kind of like we did) and I'm pretty sure the writing is on the wall, they want new leadership etc. I was thinking a deal for Iginla would make sense for us, he's everything our team needs.

Who would I personally trade for him? To be quite honest, I thought of it a long time, how could you get Calgary to bite. For starters Jaybo hasn't exactly been the player they've wanted him to be, and Phaneuf is gone.

Markov has been injured for us the past couple seasons on and off (not saying he's injury prone, but he's the last of our old teams main guys), maybe it's time for a new scene for both Iginla and Markov?

Normally I would never want to trade Markov, in fact, I like Markov more than Iginla, but you've gotta look at what each teams needs are. I think we need a guy like Iginla more than we need Markov, mainly because of Subban, imo he would be able to take Markov's place (eventually) and is much younger.

Obviously though we'd have one too many top 6 forwards if it was just Markov straight up for Iginla.

We all know we're keeping Pouliot, the org is very high on this kid (as am I). They didn't trade the golden boy Lats for him for no reason. We also know Metro/MAB are both probably gone, and that Moore will likely get signed.

For the time being Plek is a ? but I think he will sign, suprisingly for a discount (we'll have to wait and see)

So what do you guys say, Andrei has had his ups and downs, may wind up being a solid player in the end, but will he ever be an Iginla? I think not. Iginla is a dominant force who imo needs a change of scenery, he's played with Cammalleri before.

If our top 6 was:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Iginla
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

I think it would be pretty scary.

Players I believe they could move in order to get the deal done (out of players the org would want to move):

Both Kostitsyn's, Spacek/Hammer(probably Hammer but no dice in an Iginla deal, same with Spacek imo), Price/Halak(still going to put Halak here, you never know, the org seemed pretty high on Price), Markov

The reason I say Markov, if a deal is centered around Iginla, for our team, it would need to be Markov going the other way, imo to address both teams need of a superstar type player. They may want a guy like Subban but I doubt the habs bite, I'd imagine since we'd have a to overpay to avoid that, something like:

Markov, Andrei K, Sergei K, Other Pieces to Calgary
Iginla, Other Pieces to Montreal

Call me crazy but, I think the K brothers time here is running out, I think Markov may be in a position to be traded now, being that we have pretty good D, and I feel adding Iginla addresses more of a need currently then having Markov does. I think opposite can be said for Calgary, adding Markov would help their team a lot, I wouldn't necessarily say they need Iginla, if they can plug both Kosty's into their lineup and have Markov on the backend, I think it's honestly win/win.

Remember our lineup would look something like:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Iginla ($$$ )
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta (When Pouliot produces again: $$$)
Moen-Moore-Lapierre (This is pimp imo too)
Pyatt-White-Darche (Wouldn't hurt to trade for a vet if this line became an issue, but I think by next year, it wouldn't be)

Gorges-Gill
Hammer-Subban
Spacek-O'byrne

Halak
Price

Would you guys be happy with that, or do you think it's too soon to move Markov. I know the guy is really important to our team, but Iginla is the type of guy who is also. Plus maybe Markov becomes not even worth re-signing at the end of his contract (too expensive) and is injured far too often by then. (Could be the type of move that sees a quality asset on the decline moved before the decline, however, could blow up in our faces)

Both teams could be taking a huge risk imo. If you were to go after Iginla, how would you guys do the trade. (I'm no GM, just doing my best to figure out something where both teams would accept)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote