HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating?

Old
05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Socastee09

vCash: 500
Skating?

so i went for the first time today to play "stick and puck" and it was a lot of fun on ice. ive played roller hockey for 8 years but never on ice. so the shots and stick handling were fairly simple and familiar, but turning and stopping were really confusing. i guess i tried to stop like as if i were in roller but it doesn't work, i ended up on my butt every time. any tips to stopping? the only real way i could today was to turn and kinda just stop.

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socastee09 View Post
so i went for the first time today to play "stick and puck" and it was a lot of fun on ice. ive played roller hockey for 8 years but never on ice. so the shots and stick handling were fairly simple and familiar, but turning and stopping were really confusing. i guess i tried to stop like as if i were in roller but it doesn't work, i ended up on my butt every time. any tips to stopping? the only real way i could today was to turn and kinda just stop.
If you want to get good at ice, the first thing is to try and quit roller. Turning and stopping requiring proper edge use and control. Roller blades don't have edges. Every time I see someone who plays roller on ice, they have edge control problems. I've played roller before, because sometimes, there is no ice, but if possible get as much ice as you can and stop the roller for a while.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Socastee09

well thats what i planned on doing, but i was just really confused. i mean ive been on ice before but never to really play hockey just to skate and have a good time. but i tried stopping everytime and couldn't. mostly i kept using the inside edge and it would just throw me off and i would fall. so any tips would be great.

Old
05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Hrad

I don't even know how you learn to stop

But I guess you should start off doing what you're doing...Just kind of turn to stop, until you get good and can make sharp turns, then sharper, until you're eventually doing an actual "hockey" stop. Once you have the basic idea how to stop, you just repeat until you're good at it.

I'm going to have to get some more ice time myself so I learn how to stop better on my non-dominant side, since I already know the basics, I'm just going to repeat. But I'm not sure what you should do in your scenario with really no prior experience...

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
HowToHockey

These videos might help, check the video description and there is a link to the full article

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I also come from a roller background and one thing that helped me was watching myself in the reflection of the boards. I followed the advice of this video:

Seeing myself made me see if I was rotating properly and keeping my shoulders square. Plus it gave me a 'finish line' for stopping. Beav has some good tips on his vid too.

Also, do not quit roller hockey, just don't try to stop like you are on wheels and you will be fine :-) It's not that hard for your feet to remember what surface they're on.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:01 AM
NJDwoot

Use youtube as your coach... search hockey stop. Watch it over and over and try and visualise you doing it.

I'm at work so I cant see what videos the other guys posted but youtube has some pretty good ones. Watch a few different videos since some of them will show you the stops from different angles.

I took a learn to skate class and they showed me the basic snow plow and one foot snow plow, but the class alone turned out to be a waste. Since then I had to teach my self the hockey stop.

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:15 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Practice edge control in general and stopping will come soon after. First, begin doing crossovers at lower speeds, then build up. Use the same mentality for stopping.

Old
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Socastee09

well see i could start like it was no problem, turn really sharp with no problem, and even skate backwards and then forwards. all that hasnt been a problem and i can almost hockey stop on ice but somehow i through myself off and lose my balance. but i will check out the videos. thanks beav and everyone else.

Old
05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
well see i could start like it was no problem, turn really sharp with no problem, and even skate backwards and then forwards. all that hasnt been a problem and i can almost hockey stop on ice but somehow i through myself off and lose my balance. but i will check out the videos. thanks beav and everyone else.
I think I might know what your problem is. You must keep enough weight on your back leg so that your front leg is only scraping the ice, not digging into it. The back leg should have a slightly deeper knee bend than the front leg. This is the same problem I had when going back to ice after several seasons of roller 5 or 6 years ago.

Old
05-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I think I might know what your problem is. You must keep enough weight on your back leg so that your front leg is only scraping the ice, not digging into it. The back leg should have a slightly deeper knee bend than the front leg. This is the same problem I had when going back to ice after several seasons of roller 5 or 6 years ago.
so if my strong leg or better yet more dominant leg is my left im going to try to stop with my left left leg in front first, so i would want more weight to be on the front leg than the back?

Old
05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
so if my strong leg or better yet more dominant leg is my left im going to try to stop with my left left leg in front first, so i would want more weight to be on the front leg than the back?
If your left is stronger, it's probably better to have that as your back leg. But that's not universal, it's dependent on the individual. Anyway, try to keep weight distribution and proper balance in your mind as you do it at low speed. After a while, it'll come naturally at higher speeds.

Here's a really good intro video on it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8qD...os=1M50IiKYvrw

Old
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Socastee09

okay makes more sense. i guess i just have to go out there and do it and try.

Old
05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I also come from a roller background and one thing that helped me was watching myself in the reflection of the boards. I followed the advice of this video:

Seeing myself made me see if I was rotating properly and keeping my shoulders square. Plus it gave me a 'finish line' for stopping. Beav has some good tips on his vid too.

Also, do not quit roller hockey, just don't try to stop like you are on wheels and you will be fine :-) It's not that hard for your feet to remember what surface they're on.

Fixed

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Socastee09

thanks habs, ill see what i can pull off during this sundays session. i need to work on getting a new pair of skates. im trying to stay under 150 for right now for a decent pair...any suggestions? i saw the new supreme one40 from bauer for like 130...any thoughts on that?

Old
05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Badger36

The big difference from roller to ice is edge control. You need to learn how to effectively use your inside and outside edges.
Theres several different ways to stop on ice. You can do the snowplow, hockey stop or the t-stop.
Theres lots and lots of vids on Youtube that show you how to do each. I personally found the hockey stop to be the easiest to learn.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Actually, you need to learn to stop on both sides. Always practise a bit more the side that's harder to brake on than the easier side until it becomes equally easy on both sides.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Badger36

Quote:
At first you will use your front leg to stop and use the back one just to keep your balance but eventually you will want to use both feet to slow you down.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Socastee09

sounds good to me guys, thanks for all the input. hopefully ill get to the ice rink this weekend to skate a little bit more. but a decent pair of skates is what im after right now.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I recently just got back into ice hockey as well. I got myself a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's at my local proshop for $150, including the fitting, baking, and sharpening of the blades.

I cannot stress this enough, make sure you get fitted. You save paying $150 at a proshop over paying $120 online for skates you have to take to get fitted, so don't worry with that either.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:47 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
^^ This. Once you get the feel of scraping your lead foot along the ice everything else is easy!

Start with as little weight on the front foot as possible. Then the more you get comfortable then more pressure. Or shift more weight to the front foot, depending on how you think of it.

Also, push your ankle forward so your skate blade is as vertical as possible so it bites less. As you get more comfortable then you'll use the edge more with the blade at more of an angle.

As you get better with one foot, then the other foot. Then when both feet are comfortable then start getting your back foot stopping too.

nullterm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Socastee09

yeah, im going to greenville this weekend and theres like 3 pro shops so im going to try just about any skate that im willing to pay for right now on and see what it feels like. kinda why i havent ordered anything off the internet yet.

and i know, i have to get the "scraping" of the ice down, it kinda scared me im not going to lie, always playing roller and then feeling and hearing ice was totally different in my own perspective and it was really cool just got to get the hang of it i would assume.

thanks guys for everything, it makes a heck of a difference now that it was explained to me.