HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Should Move Malkin

Old
05-17-2010, 03:08 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Obviously not happening but:

Kane + Versteeg + 1st/2nd for Malkin

for example.

Sharp - Malkin - Byfuglien
Ladd - Toews - Hossa
Brouwer - Bolland - Skille

Kunitz - Crosby - Kane
Versteeg - Staal - Dupuis
Cooke - Talbot - Kennedy

I think makes both better. Especially since I think Malkin plays his best hockey when Sid is hurt or isn't scoring, so I'm inclined to believe he'd thrive on his own team.

You're giving up WAY to much for him from the Hawks perspective. Kane + Versteeg PLUS a first or second? Malkin is good and all, but really? I would NEVER make that trade.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
all good stats but for some reason i'm not crazy about him at all.
Is it because he would be possibly the greatest young forward to ever play for the Rangers?

Love to know what you don't love about his game. He played this entire year hurt with multiple injuries. He was absolutely phenomenal when Crosby went down last year. He has been a megastar in the postseason. He is physical.

If you're not crazy about Malkin, you have to believe that every Ranger is pure garbage. You can't like Staal, Callahan and whoever you may think you like.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
The only way I foresee Malkin moved is if Pittsburgh had a contract in the works for Kovalchuk, which would mean they might fancy draft picks, primarily not from the team they are trading Malkin to. I wonder if they would send Malkin to Edmonton for the first round pick and other prospects. Hall and Kovalchuk would be ridiculous... just ridiculous...

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:33 AM
pld459666

Pittsburgh would want a 1st liner back.

Other than Gaborik, we have none.

Pittsburgh would want our top prospect

your call as to who that is, Stepan? Kreider? Grachev? doesn't matter. Put either one in

Pittsburgh would want a secondary prospect

Sanguinetti / Werek / Hagelin / Bourque - again doesn't matter, put one in.

Finally Pittsburgh would want a 1st rounder, probably in this years draft, so Johansen/Burmistrov/Tarasenko/Skinner doesn't matter he's gone.

Is Malkin worth that much?

I know that this is Hockeys FUTURE Message Board, but until a prospect can show that they are capable of NHL success (by whatever defination you choose to use) they are still UNKNOWN assets. Pittsburgh is not going to trade him without getting proper value back.

And the Rangers don't have what it would take to land this particular player without crippling the franchise going forward.

Not a deal that makes alot of sense for the Rangers, but if they did have the ability to make that deal, and still needed centers, you make that trade in a heart beat. Malkin is a franchise center that the Rangers could build around.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:46 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Pittsburgh would want a 1st liner back.

Other than Gaborik, we have none.

Pittsburgh would want our top prospect

your call as to who that is, Stepan? Kreider? Grachev? doesn't matter. Put either one in

Pittsburgh would want a secondary prospect

Sanguinetti / Werek / Hagelin / Bourque - again doesn't matter, put one in.

Finally Pittsburgh would want a 1st rounder, probably in this years draft, so Johansen/Burmistrov/Tarasenko/Skinner doesn't matter he's gone.

Is Malkin worth that much?

I know that this is Hockeys FUTURE Message Board, but until a prospect can show that they are capable of NHL success (by whatever defination you choose to use) they are still UNKNOWN assets. Pittsburgh is not going to trade him without getting proper value back.

And the Rangers don't have what it would take to land this particular player without crippling the franchise going forward.

Not a deal that makes alot of sense for the Rangers, but if they did have the ability to make that deal, and still needed centers, you make that trade in a heart beat. Malkin is a franchise center that the Rangers could build around.

I totally agree with what your saying, but taking it to the extreme here. If you told me a player of Gretzky's caliber was up for grabs I don't think you'd find someone who wouldn't give you a decade's worth of first rounders for him. Is Malkin worth Gabs, a first and 2 prospects? Not in the least. I'd go on to say Malkin isn't worth Gabs in a straight up trade. Maybe in our situation where we need a top center, Malkin may have a little more value. But when comparing the players themselves Gabs is definitely better.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:01 AM
DrAStuart

I agree that they're not likely to trade Malkin any time soon (and if they did, it wouldn't be to a team in the E.Conference)....BUT there is still a big question about how the Pens deal with their shortcomings (i.e. lack of top calibre wingers) given that 5 guys are eating well over half of the cap space...
Montreal showed quite clearly that by focussing their energy on Crosby, Malkin and Staal they could pretty effectively shut down the Pens. A lot of teams are going to be watching those game tapes come September.
If the answer isn't to move Malkin, then what do they do?

As an aside, it is a problem the Rangers would love -- at least the guys eating up the Pens cap space are actually producing on the ice...if only we could say the same....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I seriously doubt Pittsburgh moves Malkin, and the chances they move him within the division are almost non-existent.

Having two superstars lead the charge is so important in the new NHL. why Pittsburgh would even consider flushing that down the toilet is beyond me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

This is the same crap that came out when they lost to Detroit two years ago. It's completely reactionary. I listen to the radio on my way to work every morning, and some of the "fans" here in Pittsburgh are absolutely ridiculous. "Trade Malkin!" or "Trade Fleury and make Brent Johnson the starter!" It's hilarious.

If they trade Malkin, they're certainly not trading him to a division rival. That being said, I don't think we have the assets to begin with.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:07 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Why dump the young core for a guy like Malkin? I know what kind of points he can put up but honestly, would it really be worth losing alot of young players who the Rangers have drafted and developed themselves? Keep going the way things are. I like the core that is developing here and I don't see any reason to blow it up for a guy like Malkin who can go long stretches without being seen.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Why dump the young core for a guy like Malkin? I know what kind of points he can put up but honestly, would it really be worth losing alot of young players who the Rangers have drafted and developed themselves? Keep going the way things are. I like the core that is developing here and I don't see any reason to blow it up for a guy like Malkin who can go long stretches without being seen.
Malkin is a incredible talent. Hes the kind of guy you blow up our incredibly overrated young core for if he becomes available, which I doubt he does.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
mjolnir13

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I don't think it will happen either.....but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it. Seeing Malkin on Broadway would be awesome. Gabby on his wing would be sick.
Won't happen...I think the Pens would ask for Gabby in exchange for Malkin.

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I totally agree with what your saying, but taking it to the extreme here. If you told me a player of Gretzky's caliber was up for grabs I don't think you'd find someone who wouldn't give you a decade's worth of first rounders for him. Is Malkin worth Gabs, a first and 2 prospects? Not in the least. I'd go on to say Malkin isn't worth Gabs in a straight up trade. Maybe in our situation where we need a top center, Malkin may have a little more value. But when comparing the players themselves Gabs is definitely better.
I love what Gaborik did for the Rangers last year, but if Pitt was to offer Malkin to the Rangers straight up for Gaborik, you pull the trigger 10 out of 10 times and not lose one second of sleep over it.

Malkin - Franchise center to be built around

Gaborik - Elite Level winger with significant injury history (that is hopefully a thing of the past)

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
OverTheCap

I'm not sure if our fanbase is undervaluing Malkin, or overvaluing our prospects. Perhaps a combination of both.

But Malkin is one of those players that you give up part of the farm for. He is that good... Conn Smythe winner, Art Ross trophy winner. There is no one in our farm system who will be as good as him.

For a team that is starving for talent, it seems like a lot of the fans have little desire for talented players. I mean, some members of the fanbase were more concerned about the loss of Sjostrom, Betts, and Orr last season than Naslund, Zherdev, and Gomez, or Jagr the season before, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:02 AM
The New Originals

Having Crosby, Malkin, and Staal as your top three centers is perfect. Their problems lie elsewhere.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Having Crosby, Malkin, and Staal as your top three centers is perfect. Their problems lie elsewhere.
Unfortunately, they may not be able to fix those problems in a cap era with those 3 players.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
You know its summer time when Ranger fans think of new methods of taking the short road in building a team.

Accept it folks, for us to make any kind of splash we need to have sunk for a couple of seasons. And for the "well look at Montreal" crowd, you could fiddle together a random group of players like they did 100 times and not see the conference finals once. Don't bank on it.
Personally, I don't want Malkin here, or at least for the amount of assets we'd have to ship over. I'm always against taking down the farm. I think every youth in the system should be given a shot if they have even a remote chance of contributing.

Corey Locke for Ranger's Blue '11

Quote:
I'd go on to say Malkin isn't worth Gabs in a straight up trade. Maybe in our situation where we need a top center, Malkin may have a little more value. But when comparing the players themselves Gabs is definitely better.
I actually agree with this. Gaborik has been totally undermined when it comes to his value and talent from being constantly injured and playing on crappy teams with pisspoor offense. (Wild, Rangers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Unfortunately, they may not be able to fix those problems in a cap era with those 3 players.
This is why I wouldn't put so much doubt in Malkin being moved. Think about 3 seasons from now. Crosby will be looking at UFA. Jordan Staal will be looking at UFA. Staal will definitely demand a raise, Crosby might as well. And then a year after that, it'll be Malkin and Letang's turn to take raises. Pittsburgh just can't keep all these players without shipping one of the big boys out, or sacrificing a hell of a lot of depth. One year after that, Fleury is looking at UFA and will need a raise.

Someone has to go, somewhere along the line. Even now, Penguins are in cap troubles.

Crosby 8.7
Malkin 8.7
Staal 4.0
Kunitz 3.75
Dupuis 1.4
Talbot 1.05
Rupp 0.825
Godard 0.75
Kennedy 0.725
Adams 0.550
Letestu 0.50

Orpik 3.75
Goligoski 1.833
Letang 3.50

Fleury 5.00
Johnson 0.525

Between these players, there's already a cap hit of about $45M.

Kunitz - Crosby - ______
Fedotenko - Malkin - ______
Dupuis - Staal - Rupp
Godard - Kennedy - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Goligoski - ______
_______ - ______

Not a good situation. They'll have a little over $10M to look for a top pair defenseman, a 1st line wing, a 2nd line wing, and 2 bottom pair defensemen. Depth is being heavily sacrificed here.

Last edited by Panfork: 05-17-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Not buying that Pittsburgh would trade Malkin. And if they did, it wouldn't be in the division. And if it was, we don't have the resources to get him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I love what Gaborik did for the Rangers last year, but if Pitt was to offer Malkin to the Rangers straight up for Gaborik, you pull the trigger 10 out of 10 times and not lose one second of sleep over it.

Gaborik - Elite Level winger with significant injury history (that is hopefully a thing of the past)
No question about it.

05-17-2010, 02:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Malkin go long stretches without being seen? Maybe by you.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Is it because he would be possibly the greatest young forward to ever play for the Rangers?

Love to know what you don't love about his game. He played this entire year hurt with multiple injuries. He was absolutely phenomenal when Crosby went down last year. He has been a megastar in the postseason. He is physical.

If you're not crazy about Malkin, you have to believe that every Ranger is pure garbage. You can't like Staal, Callahan and whoever you may think you like.
i'm not crazy about him as far as a superstar goes. hes not in the same league as ovechkin and crosby. and some of his stats are padded because there are plenty of times he plays with crosby. he played this entire year hurt... great so did just about every other player in the league. sean avery finished a playoff game with a busted spleen (in the 1st period). why dont you like him? malkin disappears for good stretches whether its regular season or playoffs. i happen to think that he played bad vs the canadiens. he won the conn smyth last year, i give him credit for that but how about the year before when he disappeared in the finals and said he was tired. not the kind of attitude anybody should have in the playoffs. tone down the megastar in the playoffs, hes not their yet even with his conn smyth. and i happen to think he is a piece of **** dirty player. so just because i am not crazy about malkin i cant like staal callahan and who ever else... at what time did you take it upon yourself to decide that for me. i will choose to like and dislike whoever i want.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
i'm not crazy about him as far as a superstar goes. hes not in the same league as ovechkin and crosby. and some of his stats are padded because a significant part of the time he plays on crosbys line. he played this entire year hurt... great so did just about every other player in the league. sean avery finished a playoff game with a busted spleen (in the 1st period). why dont you like him? malkin disappears for good stretches whether its regular season or playoffs. i happen to think that he played bad vs the canadiens. he won the conn smyth last year, i give him credit for that but how about the year before when he disappeared in the finals and said he was tired. not the kind of attitude anybody should have in the playoffs. tone down the megastar in the playoffs, hes not their yet even with his conn smyth. and i happen to think he is a piece of **** dirty player. so just because i am not crazy about malkin i cant like staal callahan and who ever else... at what time did you take it upon yourself to decide that for me. i will choose to like and dislike whoever i want.
so he's not a megastar in the playoffs except for when he was a megastar in the playoffs and won the conn smythe, but that doesnt count? Also Crosby/Malkin rarely play together at even strength.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

i disagree because i dont think malkin can lead a team by himself. he reminds me of marian hossa, a ton of talent but has to play with an elite superstar.

Old
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
so he's not a megastar in the playoffs except for when he was a megastar in the playoffs and won the conn smythe, but that doesnt count? Also Crosby/Malkin rarely play together at even strength.
so we are claiming someone a megastar because of 1 year in the playoffs. he's not there yet. fine it might be rare even strength but they are together on the powerplay and when ever the pens are down or need to change something its malkin playing with crosby. its not as rare as you think.

but your right i will edit my other post.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 05-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old
05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
so we are claiming someone a megastar because of 1 year in the playoffs. he's not their yet. fine it might be rare even strength but they are together on the powerplay and when ever the pens are down or need to change something its malkin playing with crosby. its not as rare as you think.

He's 23, has two 100+ point seasons. He missed time this season and was still over a PPG and over a career PPG player in the playoffs. Some of that you attribute to Crosby. Some of Crosby you can attribute to Malkin.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
so we are claiming someone a megastar because of 1 year in the playoffs. he's not their yet. fine it might be rare even strength but they are together on the powerplay and when ever the pens are down or need to change something its malkin playing with crosby. its not as rare as you think.

You just dont like the guy, for whatever reason. Admit that and move on.

that would be a lot better of a stance than trying in vain to discredit a great hockey player.