HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey-dad

Old
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Hockey-dad

as the title says this one goes out to all the hockey dads...

my son is now 3 years old and likes hockey pretty much and always asks me why he cant go with me when I`m on my way to the rink, so I think its time to get it started!

so how would/did you begin? I was thinking about these old-school roller-skates (with2 wheels in front, 2 behind) or should I wait till winter and get him some ice-skates?

and I read Vaneks book and he said he also started when he was 3 with ice-skates with 2 blades on one foot but I never saw skates like this...

so how would you do or how did you do?!?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Steelhead16

First of all, Welcome to the club. You are signing up for a long time commitment but it's well worth it.

As for the skating. I've taught beginner hockey skating for years and years. I don't suggest you start him on anything else except single blade figure skates. Double runner and roller skates will just get him going in the wrong direction right off the bat.
I also don't like starting kids out on hockey skates. Little kids usually start off running on the ice and the hockey skates just frustrate them. Figure skates will help them learn how to stroke properly because you have to stride back and out because of the toe picks. ( 5 oclock and 7 oclock) Also if you watch figure skaters they have really long strides and and a good snap and the end of each stroke.

Forget all the hockey stuff right away (or do some stick and ball stuff off the ice if you want) Teach him to skate first and then add all the other stuff after that. If they learn to skate with a stick they will use it as a crutch and just lean on it.

Have a figure skater teach him and after the skating is good, move to hockey skates, then go the hockey classes if available in your area. Otherwise go to some stick and puck sessions with him yourself to introduce the stick. If he doesn't have to think about the skating, all the rest will come a whole lot easier.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
and I read Vaneks book and he said he also started when he was 3 with ice-skates with 2 blades on one foot but I never saw skates like this...
They're called 'bob skates':

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
so how would you do or how did you do?!?
My son started skating at 2 with regular (one blade) skates.
At first he used something like this:

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

I love watching Buggaboo hockey!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 50
My son is 2 and wants to come with me when I go play as well. Unfortunately he has a full leg cast on right now after trying to climb on the railing and falling down the stairs. I think I'll take him to a couple of family skate next winter when his leg is better and possibly put him into the skating classes.

I agree that the most important thing is to get his skating straight before you introduce sticks and pucks. They just need to feel comfortable out there.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
My son is 2 and wants to come with me when I go play as well. Unfortunately he has a full leg cast on right now after trying to climb on the railing and falling down the stairs. I think I'll take him to a couple of family skate next winter when his leg is better and possibly put him into the skating classes.

I agree that the most important thing is to get his skating straight before you introduce sticks and pucks. They just need to feel comfortable out there.
Skating is absolutely everything, they should be skating before they do anything else.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:55 PM
alexanderovechkin8

I agree with this that one reason i stopped ice hockey i was not a good enough skater and it annoyed my i didnt get to play much either

alexanderovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

When I was 3 i did INLINE SKATING (Fell on my butt alot)

What I would do, is if you live in a place where going ice skating every day is hard (Like me in Phoenix) then get him a pair of Inlines and help him skate around the neiborhood and house, then when he gets better at skating and can skate by himself let him play roller, or ice hockey league.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

^^yep, thats a hugh problem here too...

thanks for lots of good advices guys!

now I have to face just two more "little" problems: its very hard to find Inliners in his size and I`m not the best skater myself, gonna be funny and I cant wait till we can start

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

As someone who started on figure skating lessons and moved over to hockey skates last year, it really helps. The transition was easy, I had no problems. Only issue is I sometimes forget you can't lean back as far on a hockey blade without your feet sliding from under you.

If you're not a great skater, find someone who is to teach your son Then he won't pick up any bad habits.

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Cant wait tell i have a son and get to teach him how to play hockey.....

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote