HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anisimov Interview

Old
05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
squishy

vCash: 500
Anisimov Interview

Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread (mods, feel free to move it if so), but I translated an interview with Anisimov from a few weeks ago that I think people would find interesting. Here's a few of the most interesting bits:

Quote:
- If you draw the Rangers season as a line, you get some kind of sine wave. And you yourself played inconsistently.

- I agree. There was a period of 16 games when I didnít score any points. I made the allowance for myself that it was my first season at this level. Still, I needed to adapt. But you know when I settled down?

- When?

- Here Iíd played these 16 disastrous games, and the coach calls me in. Thatís it, I think, Iím done. But he told me ĎArtem, donít worry, donít be nervous. We believe in you, we believe that everything will work out.í After that, really, everything got back to normal. Words like that are very important from a psychological point of view.

- So it was possible to play and not worry particularly about statistics.

- Yes. But I paid a lot of attention to defense, and let in very few [goals]. So I wasnít completely useless to the team.
Quote:
- It seems like you finished the season on the fouth line, with the enforcers?

- Yes. I became friends with the guys. Itís very easy to play with them, to be honestÖ in the sense that you feel completely safe.

- In what way?

- In front of the net, for instance. The other teamís goaltender will cover the puck, and without fail you get shoved. But in skate my linemates and they begin to say all kinds of things to those who touch me.
Quote:
- You played on a line with the illustrious Avery. How was that?

- Itís fine as long as he plays on our team. Opponents donít like him. Yes, he provokes, but it benefits the team. By the way, Iíd note that in the locker room heís completely different.
Full interview is here: http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...ith-tough-guys

Last edited by Trxjw: 05-17-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Updated Title / Moved to new thread
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
NYR Viper

Props to Torts for taking him in and talking to him. Some people may not like him but I like what Torts has done with the younger players. Great interview overall, thanks Squishy!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread (mods, feel free to move it if so), but I translated an interview with Anisimov from a few weeks ago that I think people would find interesting. Here's a few of the most interesting bits:

Full interview is here: http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...ith-tough-guys

Quote:
By the way, Iíd note that in the locker room heís completely different.
But, wait, doesn't he know the locker room is divided? Sean Avery on one side, Lindsay Lohan and her crew on the other?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
OverTheCap

Some very insightful quotes from Arty.

Sounds like he enjoys playing with the bigger guys who protect him. I wish our team had some skilled power forwards that he could play with. Prust and Shelley just aren't talented enough to continue playing with him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Sounds like he enjoys playing with the bigger guys who protect him. I wish our team had some skilled power forwards that he could play with. Prust and Shelley just aren't talented enough to continue playing with him.
If you look at who he had success playing with in Hartford, it's always been a guy who wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty on one side and a more skilled winger on the other. I think Prust has some upward mobility and while he's not a true top six forward, the league is littered with examples of players who played in the top six simply because they just fit right on a certain line. So who knows. The key is getting someone with some more skill on the other side.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that Anisimov sort of got thrown to the wolves by his Russian teammates after their game yesterday. A Russian tabloid had caught a few Russian players on camera smoking after their game with Belarus and it turned into this big thing in the press. So the players got pissed off and decided to boycott the media after yesterday's game. But they soon found out that, per IIHF rules, they're required to send at least 3 players out to talk to the media after a game. So they shipped out the kids -- Anisimov and Kulikov -- to deal with the angry reporters. Ansimov ended up doing most of the talking, and obviously wasn't thrilled with the position he was put in, but handled it pretty well, all things considered.

For the record, Tretiak make it clear with the players today that there would be no more boycotting the media.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think this covers enough outside of the WC's that it warranted a new thread.

Some good stuff from Artie in there.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think this covers enough outside of the WC's that it warranted a new thread.

Some good stuff from Artie in there.
Yeah, nice long article.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
If you look at who he had success playing with in Hartford, it's always been a guy who wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty on one side and a more skilled winger on the other. I think Prust has some upward mobility and while he's not a true top six forward, the league is littered with examples of players who played in the top six simply because they just fit right on a certain line. So who knows. The key is getting someone with some more skill on the other side.
It was Byers - AA - Parenteau with the Pack in 08-09, right?

I'd bet on some combination of Dubi/Prust - AA - PAP/MZA next season depending upon whether they feel Artem is ready to center the 2nd line or not.

Old
05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Matteau Matteau

In the locker room he [Avery] is "very different."

Sounds like a compliment to me, ie: not an agitator, not a pest, not a dick.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Props to Torts for taking him in and talking to him. Some people may not like him but I like what Torts has done with the younger players. Great interview overall, thanks Squishy!
Absolutely...

I'm not a Torts hater... nor am I a "fan".

But this shows everyone that it's not all benchings (both waranted and "random"), yelling, water bottle throwing and in game line shuffling...

The guy is coaching.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Wonderful job as usual Squishy. Great quotes, especially that last one, hehe. Artie better watch out, Dubi may sick Lohan on him next!

In all seriousness, this kid has a bright future. He's going to be a much more consistent force next season, me thinks.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:15 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
- Coaches in Russia do not likes such differentiation.

- Again, I’m sure that this is all because of the size of the ice surface. Here you need to be able to do everything.

In general what I liked about America is that the majority of players have their own role. One is responsible for only forechecking and does nothing else on the ice. The task for our fourth line was well defined: move the game into the opponents zone. Don’t let them in your own zone. That’s all.
This quote in particular was very interesting. Shows me he's thinking and trying to adjust, which is the most important thing for him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
The task for our fourth line was well defined: move the game into the opponents zone. Don’t let them in your own zone. That’s all.
Too bad the rest of the team didn't do that. With as bad as we are in our own end this could be Torts' new system lol

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

To those who said Torts is ruining the production of the Ranger's youth:

Shove it.

Nice interview, glad to see Anisimov feels he's coming along as a player, and is ready to contribute even more next year. Also good to see that the organization has faith in him, and also good to see more direct sources that Avery is fine in the locker room.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

So another example of Torts helping a guy out and showing that he doesn't just yell all the time. He actually had a calming affect on a young guy.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It was Byers - AA - Parenteau with the Pack in 08-09, right?
It started that way, but then Byers went down with a season-ending knee injury 9 games in, so Dupont stepped in... which worked well, since he, Anisimov and Parenteau had spent a big chunk of the previous season together on a line as well.

Old
05-17-2010, 11:23 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
In all seriousness, this kid has a bright future. He's going to be a much more consistent force next season, me thinks.
Indeed. Hopefully he'll come in with some more confidence, and earn a spot in the top 6. I definitely agree with those saying that Dubi could fit well with him. The other wing is the issue, as we have very limited talent on the RW outside of Gaborik. Cally is good, but hopefully we can get someone with some more skill to play with AA.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
It started that way, but then Byers went down with a season-ending knee injury 9 games in, so Dupont stepped in... which worked well, since he, Anisimov and Parenteau had spent a big chunk of the previous season together on a line as well.
That's right. Brain fart.

Old
05-17-2010, 11:40 AM
ZacUSNYR

He was my favorite in hartford and I root for him as a Rangers. We need to keep him on the rangers and be patient because he will have a break out season.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

I just cant believe how bad Torts is for the yoots..........

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I just cant believe how bad Torts is for the yoots..........
I really think AA wouldve been sent down if there was any other suitable replacement at center. But when you look down at the farm and see Corey Locke, it just makes sense to provide some encouragement to Anisimov.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
How can you say that? Not during training camp, or during the pre-season, or at the start of the regular season did I have any confidence. I didnít even rent an apartment, I lived in a hotel and waited for them to send me to Hartford.
From now on, every time someone gets on our rookies about not tearing up the league, I'm gonna post this.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I really think AA wouldve been sent down if there was any other suitable replacement at center.
I disagree. Rookies don't get sent down because they aren't scoring. They get sent down because they are making mistakes that cost the team. By all accounts, Artie's defensive play was very good.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525587

Quote:
What impressed the Rangersí coaching staff the most about the 6-foot-4 Russian was his strong defensive play, and his smart play away from the puck. The coaching staff often referred to Anisimov as one of the smartest players on the team throughout the year.

ďThe reason why we kept playing him even when he wasnít scoring is because Artie was so reliable defensively and so smart with the puck, making smart decisions,Ē explained Tortorella.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
ruckus*

I love the way these other languages translate into English. Always makes me laugh.

I love Artie. Absolutely love him. Expect big things from this kid in the future. Hope he keeps progressing.

Interesting to hear his opinions on playing with the grinders. He's got a point it must be nice for him to not worry about all that. It was obvious since they were our best line at the end of the season but Artie was a huge part of that.

As good as Shelley and Prust played without Artie they wouldn't have been anywhere near that.

As much as we all want him to move on up, what might be most important is finding linemates for him that keep him comfortable.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think the kid is going to be a long time NHLer, regardless of whether or not he turns into a scorer.

At the very worst, we have our hands on a good, skilled 3rd line center.

-2 in his rookie season is very respectable.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote