Random Talk 101

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
vofty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Chicken, hopefully your sister makes it out just fine, and good thing on the flood insurance (so few around the country have flood or even water damage insurance). I cringe at the thought of FEMA doing anything productive and not just staying out of the way. Am I correct in interpreting your remarks to indicate your sister collected mugs of Goofy, the Disney character? It really is interesting to me what people collect and consider losses in a disaster such as this.
lol...yes you would be correct in that interpretation. Most of the description about my sister's house had been from an e-mail my mother sent and my mom is big on collections, she probably has about 300 elephants around her house. So yes I'm sure it sucked for my sister to lose the mugs but I'm sure my mom was the one who was more concerned with them. Luckily my sister had two floors so things that were really important had gotten moved upstairs, like the cedar chest my grandfather had made her and an afghan my grandmother had made. So my sister didn't really lose anything that a terrible loss. She did lose her wedding pics but my mom has copies of all of them. The biggest thing she was upset about was the scrapbooks, and she was very concerned for her husband's grandmother's china. My sister was very lucky and came through this as best as could possibly be hoped for in such a situation.

Kind of a funny note though my father had laid new laminate floors for her about 6 months ago. Well when the water was waist deep and they were being evacuated the boards were popping up, and she was trying to push them back down cause she felt so bad that my dad had done all this work and now it was gone. But on a good note now she will get new floors and have them professionally laid.

The whole thing is so surreal. I've already promised my fiance that we will stay in Dallas for my residency but Nashville is a place I would love to move to for my fellowship. The city is just so absolutely beautiful. Still just hard for me to wrap my head around what is going on.

Old
05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
What's the name of the Metallica song they play during pregame warmups during the low-light-laser show? I recognized it while it was playing but I can't remember it now ...
When are you talking about?

Like during the video intro? Or like during the starting line up? Inbetween is the Pantera theme song so can't think of what you're talking about.

Neither of them were Metallica songs I don't believe.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
yeah there was a metallica song. 'No Leaf Clover'. i think they started using it after the all-star break instead of the coheed and cambria song.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
vofty

went to help my sister this weekend, here are some pics. They are from my iphone so they might not be the best quality. The whole thing was just surreal. People already had their bottom levels stripped down to the studs. Every couple of minutes volunteers would come by offering water or snacks. The people of Nashville have really helped out my sister's area, kudos to them.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Chad_

The third photo shows a 3 to 4 foot water level at peak. Wow.

Old
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Captain Awesome

That's crazy stuff, I bet she's really glad she's insured, though. Glad everything seems to be working out for her, though.

On a random note, since we were talking about collections, I steal coasters from restaurants and collect them. I have no idea why I started doing it, but it's a very easy and low cost collection to maintain.

Old
05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Chad_

Except you've got to pay for a meal or drink before getting one. And aren't they all the same? It's been a long, long time since I've bothered paying attention, but aren't they all Budweiser coasters?

Old
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
On a random note, since we were talking about collections, I steal coasters from restaurants and collect them. I have no idea why I started doing it, but it's a very easy and low cost collection to maintain.
What a coincidence, I steal coasters from the collections of people who collect coasters. It's also low cost, but somewhat harder.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to electrical outlets when they're submerged that badly?

Old
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
What a coincidence, I steal coasters from the collections of people who collect coasters. It's also low cost, but somewhat harder.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to electrical outlets when they're submerged that badly?
they like to go spark so everything gets replaced. They tore out everything down to the studs, so insulation, wiring, drywall, the fireplace, cabinets, the stairs, the floor, moldings, windows, doors...pretty much everything but the studs.

Old
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Chad_

Depends on the age of the house (i.e. the electrical wiring, breaker, etc.), sometimes the entire house needs to be re-wired after a flooding. The fun part will be the time needed to ensure mold doesn't take over even after whomever is doing the work thinks it's dry.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Except you've got to pay for a meal or drink before getting one. And aren't they all the same? It's been a long, long time since I've bothered paying attention, but aren't they all Budweiser coasters?
It's true that I have a ton of budweiser ones, but it depends on where you go. And besides, I never go out to eat just to have a coaster, I just get it while I'm going out to eat, you've got it all backwards.

Old
05-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
went to help my sister this weekend, here are some pics.
Wow. I knew it was bad but didn't really pay attention enough to realize how bad it was.

Thanks for the pics.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
vofty

So I had to take my final early because I have an all day experiment tomorrow which was when it was scheduled for, of course this meant that I had to go to the profs office and take it there. I finish up and am walking out when I hear sirens and people talking about the fire alarm had been pulled in the chemistry building, which was 2 buildings over from where I was taking the exam. Well low and behold...
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/93421299.html
Quote:
there's been a chemical explosion at the Chemistry Annex Building on Ross Street at Texas A&M University. There are reports that two people have been injured.

The blast occurred sometime around 10:45 a.m. on the fourth floor of the building.

The building has been evacuated and people are being urged to avoid nearby buildings.

Fire departments from Bryan, College Station and emergency workers from Texas A&M EMS are responding to the area.

The cause of the explosion is still unknown, but early reports indicate it's the result of a chemical reaction from an experiment that did not go as planned.

Old
05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Chad_

Aggies . . .

Old
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
vofty

I LOVE thai bubble tea! That is all.

Old
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
vofty

Just downloaded the new gatorade commercial song...yep it's official I'm a dork.

Old
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
which one?

I kind of dig the Amstel Light commercial song

Old
05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
which one?

I kind of dig the Amstel Light commercial song
lmao are you being ironical? Vancouver most definitely does not like that song.

and here is the gatorade one

Old
05-17-2010, 05:20 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

no, no, no not that version of the amstel light commercial. The one with Brazilian Girls' Good Time. I can't stand Chelsea Daggers. Watching a lot of blackhawks games at school it pisses me off because, as you pointed out, it is their goal song.

The song actually kind of sucks but I dig it in the commerical(which isn't up on yt)

I also like this nike commercial featuring The Hours' All in the Jungle

Not a bad song from that Gatorade commercial either though

Old
05-17-2010, 06:35 PM
vofty

lol..you know that Brazilian girls' song wouldn't be so bad except for the really weird parts. "Some people go booo, they go quack, quack, they go keek"...wtf? Let's just say they chose the right parts for the commercial.

Everytime that Nike commercial comes on I find myself tapping my toe. Might be another one I have to download, although that gatorade song is a free download http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx#program?s=g-evolve

Old
05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

ahh, free is good

Old
05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
vofty

Just found my dream car
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951-...item439f4529ff

Old
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
It's located right around the block from you too. Just come up with $100k and it's yours.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:19 PM
vofty

I just paid off my last ebay car this month...I think it is a sign to get a new one. Although the actual cost of this one maybe a potential problem. It is a sexy beast of a car. My fiance already knows at some point in my life I will own a 1950's jaguar roaster, would love to do the work myself but the fact that I don't know jack squat about cars could hamper that effort...lol.

Old
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
dallashockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
yeah there was a metallica song. 'No Leaf Clover'. i think they started using it after the all-star break instead of the coheed and cambria song.
seems like I remember a song around St. Paddys Day that I wanted to download but had no clue what or who it was. It rocked.

Closed Thread