HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The price for NY Crosby

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2005, 06:47 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
If you ended up with the 1st pick,you wouldn't draft Crosby? That is cluelessness at its finest! :lol
It all depends on what's offered. If you'd pass up a Lindros-sized haul for Crosby you'd be clueless. If someone's willing to grossly overpay, you let him, and you walk away laughing and counting you assets.

You'd be a fool not to take it if someone offered you:
1. the top-ranked prospect not playing in North America (Peter Forsberg)
2. a 27-year-old, top flight offensive defenseman (Steve Duchesne)
3. A 24-year-old defenseman with 142 NHL games under his belt (Kerry Huffman)
4. A 21-year-old hard-nosed 2nd/3rd liner with "captaincy" written all over him (Mike Ricci)
5. A 28-year-old goalie of sporadic quality (Ron Hextall)
6. The player drafted 25th overall in the previous year's draft (Chris Simon)
7. First round picks in 2006 and 2007

Forget about the $15 million in cash that also went in that trade, the Avalanche owe their 2 Cups and their other successes to Eric Lindros and the Philadelphia Flyers, and I suspect that every last Flyer fan with an objective bone in his body would reverse that trade in a heartbeat.

(We can also talk about Herschel Walker and the Minnesota Vikings.)

Old
03-06-2005, 10:24 AM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
Well naturally, but you get my point. If a team is willing to send 2 studs or more for Crosby I'd do it without thinking. Crosby is only human, he's good but how good will he be when he's up against hulking 6'4 defencemen or guys like Kasparitis who can skate and hit like a mack truck, something the Q lacks. IMO he's good but he's not God-like yet and if the right offer comes, I won't think twice.
IF someone were willing to pay that much,it's a no brainer, but to say that if you have the first pick this year, you are LOOKING to trade down , is just nonsense. As to the hitting, Crosby isn't a small frail player so I'm guessing he'll do ok. Last time I checked he was listed at 6' or 6' 1" and like 195 lbs. He hasn't dealt with alot of the physical stuff in that league, but at that size, I would expect he can take a hit.

Old
03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
It all depends on what's offered. If you'd pass up a Lindros-sized haul for Crosby you'd be clueless. If someone's willing to grossly overpay, you let him, and you walk away laughing and counting you assets.

You'd be a fool not to take it if someone offered you:
1. the top-ranked prospect not playing in North America (Peter Forsberg)
2. a 27-year-old, top flight offensive defenseman (Steve Duchesne)
3. A 24-year-old defenseman with 142 NHL games under his belt (Kerry Huffman)
4. A 21-year-old hard-nosed 2nd/3rd liner with "captaincy" written all over him (Mike Ricci)
5. A 28-year-old goalie of sporadic quality (Ron Hextall)
6. The player drafted 25th overall in the previous year's draft (Chris Simon)
7. First round picks in 2006 and 2007

Forget about the $15 million in cash that also went in that trade, the Avalanche owe their 2 Cups and their other successes to Eric Lindros and the Philadelphia Flyers, and I suspect that every last Flyer fan with an objective bone in his body would reverse that trade in a heartbeat.

(We can also talk about Herschel Walker and the Minnesota Vikings.)
I don't think mistakes like that are a regular occurence. That speaks more to the desperation of the franchises involved. It is also the type of situation the Rangers find themselves in, with NO legitimate offensive first liners in the near future in our system. I love watching a good defenseman play, but I am truly amazed watching guys like Mario and Jagr operate. Offense and creativity are natural draws. Teams will always gravitate to the offensively superior players first, and fans will as well. Really the only exception to this is NHL goaltending.

Old
03-06-2005, 10:44 AM
dedalus

Quote:
I don't think mistakes like that are a regular occurence. That speaks more to the desperation of the franchises involved.
True. One can only hope that should the Rangers get the opportunity to draft Crosby, a Russ Farwell stands up to be counted. (Philly's been waiting for the promised land for a looooong time. Maybe all they need is someone to get them over the hump. Lightning strikes twice? )

Old
03-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Freddie79

I think you guys are really underrating Crosby value.
It's not only his on-ice talent that lets GMs drool about him but also
his off-ice qualities.
The guy could be the next Gretzky or Lemieux and could fill an arena almost by himself.
The franchise receiving him will get a ton of attraction from people who
normally dont give a damn about hockey.
Every team would love to have such a guy especially after the long lockout. Now think about how upset the fans would be after hearing that their golden boy has been sold ...

In my opinion Crosby wont fetch us much as Lindros did in 92 but he will cost a kings ransom none the less

Old
03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
If you ended up with the 1st pick,you wouldn't draft Crosby? That is cluelessness at its finest! :lol
I didn't say if I had the first pick I would take someone else.

I said that I would make a trade and acquire 4 top prospects and maybe some other throwins, such as the Lindros deal.

Talk about clueless you can't even comprehend a simply freegin post.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I need smiley faces to prove my point, so there you go.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
bmoak

If your goal stated goal at the outset is to trade Crosby no matter what, then you've already lost.

I find it unbelievable that people would swing a deal revolving entirely around unproven talent (prospects and picks). Build the trade around a proven young stud or don't make it all.

But Crosby isn't being traded any more than Ovechkin was...

Here's a hint to the people who were making trade proposals for the #1 overall last year.

*Starting off with Poti and Lundmark is not a good idea
*If you don't want a player to play for the Rangers, don't think another team will be keen to give you a #1 pick to take him off your hands...
*Throwing in mulitple 2nd round picks and 2nd tier prospects doesn't increase the value of your package.

Old
03-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I can't see anyway the Rangers could trade up into the top spot. Why would any team take a pass on Crosby, unless the offer was ridiculous? The only way Crosby comes to New York is if the Rangers are awarded the #1 pick...all other theories are in my opinion, just pipe dreams.
I agree with you. No way a team would deal Crosby. Let say Chichago offered us(if we got Crosby) Ruuto, Babchuk, Barker and a lower 1st round pick it would be allot more then we ever could offer and I still don't think Sather would accept it. Sure it would be a tremendous offer and from a hockey point of view maybe better for us in the longrun but Crosby could be a one of a kind hockeyplayer and they don't come around that often...

Closed Thread