HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to properly push down on the stick for power?

Old
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
How to properly push down on the stick for power?

So heres the question I have.

I can push down on the stick just fine on concrete or cement, or any other type of ground just fine. But trying to push down on the ice and get that flex is a lot harder than what was previously mentioned.

So 1st of all what is this called? the kick point? is there a term that is used to find the spot where your stick will bend?

Also my wrist and arms are KILLING me cause im trying to push down on the stick so hard to get more power, is this normal? or am i not properly doing this correctly?

Man talk about A LOT to learn.......much respect for all of you hockey players who have put in the time and effort to learn all this stuff you deserve it

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

See this is why most people should be using lighter flexes than they think. Ice has very little friction, and we're not digging way into the ice like we are in the hockey shop...seriously, who shoots by standing over the puck like a caveman leaning onto the stick?

What works for me is having my bottom hand hold the stick firm against the ice while shooting. I'm not necessarily leaning into the shot with all my weight, but I'm not just using my forearms. By ripping my top hand back when I release the puck, I get some whip on it. And I've also switched to a 60-65 flex stick (I'm 5'8) to get plenty of whip on those shots.

Remember, the puck is only a few ounces, and that's your main bit of resistance. Unless your shots are all slappers, you're loading up the stick with the weight of the puck a lot of the time.

Or as a smarter man once told me, if you need to try and flex the stick, it's too stiff for you.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The number one key for me is dropping your bottom hand more, especially on lower kickpoint sticks. Also, try to lean your whole body into it. That's the secret to flexing the stick and getting a good shot

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
fearitself

If you're talking about slapshots...

Try and get your top hand down a little bit but always make sure you are bending at the knees and not at the hips. Dropping your bottom hand down is going to make you want to lean forward a little bit more.

You need to make sure your top hand is off your hip and out in front of you. Basically, you want to push the face of the blade into the ice as hard as you can about 6" to 12" behind the puck (visualize digging a hole into the ice). Make sure that as you are flexing your stick into the ice that you are using the palm of your hand into the wide side of the shaft.

It's really tough to teach by text, but give it a go.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Fear, I think he's talking about loading up the stick for a quick shot, not a slapper, but that's just an educated guess on my part. This is really a common problem for beginners. Developing real hockey strength takes a lot of time, but this is also directly related to balance. Without good balance, you can't lean all your weight into the stick.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 05-17-2010 at 09:03 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
fearitself

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Fear, I think he's talking about loading up the stick for a quick shot, not a slapper, but that's just an educated guess on my part. This is really a common problem for beginners. Developing real hockey strength takes a lot of time, but this is also directly related to balance. Without good balance, you can't lean all your weight into the stick.
Ahh figure i'd take a stab at it anyways. Either way, you nailed it, balance and technique are the main pieces to doing this effectively.

Take a few thousand shots and your muscles (to a point) will find the most effective way to do this. After that you might want to get a visual from a hockey coach or teacher to tidy up any additional technique problems.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
maci4life

if you want to get a feel for bending the stick or even working out the balancing issues and how to put force on the stick then start from the basics. in a normal shooting stance just put pressure on the stick and try to bend it. Then do the same but let the recoil take the shot for you, so go into an easy wrist shot motion but let the spring of the stick shoot the puck. slowly by adding to it you will take more of an active shot and allow the stick to do a lot of the propelling. The tough part is putting the pressure to flex the stick while balancing yourself. once you get used to putting some force on the stick while balancing, the normal wrist shot motions will seemlessly tie in with practice.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Renbarg

Here is my advice, although I may not be understanding the question:

Pick up your back leg and basically lean on the stick while on your front leg (lefty left leg, righty right leg). Thats kind of the exaggerated flex you need (and in fact can use as a legit shot snap shot). Once you get balanced, figure out what is comfortable in terms of weight distribution and go from there.

Last edited by Renbarg: 05-25-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Hockeyfan68

You don't really consciously put weight on a slapshot, the power generated from your actual shot motion does it, just make sure you hit the ice about 2 inches or so behind the puck.

The stick will flex on its own.

However some wristshots get a lot more oomph if you preload the flex, it is not easy to do and I am still learning it. So far I have achieved the best results with shooting stationary while receiiving a pass as a sort of onetimer wristhot snap. There is a noticable velocity increase with the preloaded composite stick for those.

Someone posted an Alex Kovalev instructional video of this in here and that was when I first started practicing it. Cannot find it at the moment, I am sure someone will post it.

For slapshots though taske my advice and use the less is more technique. Going out of your way to put downforce to get a flex while shooting is not a normal way to shoot a slapshot.

Just make good on your mechanics first, when you can shoot a slapshot hard THEN work on flexing the shaft by hitting a couple of inches before the puck.

Some people who are novices try to shoot like a pro in a week and work on the things in days that take years for some, take time to accomplish€ these things.

No carts before the horse. learn to shoot well first and then fine tune that other junk afterwards.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:34 AM
hoonking

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
That's the one ... the King of Hoons gets an A+!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote