HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1 shellacking - a good thing?

Old
05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

vCash: 500
Well we all remember our meltdown against the Caps in game two...

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I'm wondering if there are many teams in the history of the NHL that lost a game (any of the games, just not game 1) by 6 goals and still won the series.

I bet this has not happened many times.
Chicago vs Van, rnd 2
Mtl vs Pens Rnd 2
Detroit vs Pitsburg SCF last year

just off the top of my head I'd say it's not that uncommon

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
dapriceisright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
i think this series is a different beast altogether. fact is philly has shutdown players, more Depth and an actual defense. i think goaltending is a wash up, might be the equivalent of fleury in.

the example you bring up like i stated in my previous post is entirely different. we had one game 1 and knew we could compete with them. game 2 we had a 4-1 lead and a huge meltdown late in the game, so again we knew that despite being told otherwise we could compete.

yes we lost against the pens in game 1, but it wasnt by a shutout. most of their goals were on the PP an area that could improve right away. in addition, the style of the pens wasnt entirely different than the previous series.

as for yesterday they will have to convince themselves that they have a lot more compete to offer and will do it. they will have to take away the momentum from the flyers and make them start doubting themselves. desperation hockey will be required, we either need a split or at the very least a loss in which the game is much tighter where we had some periods of clear domination.

dapriceisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapriceisright View Post
i think this series is a different beast altogether. fact is philly has shutdown players, more Depth and an actual defense. i think goaltending is a wash up, might be the equivalent of fleury in.

the example you bring up like i stated in my previous post is entirely different. we had one game 1 and knew we could compete with them. game 2 we had a 4-1 lead and a huge meltdown late in the game, so again we knew that despite being told otherwise we could compete.

yes we lost against the pens in game 1, but it wasnt by a shutout. most of their goals were on the PP an area that could improve right away. in addition, the style of the pens wasnt entirely different than the previous series.

as for yesterday they will have to convince themselves that they have a lot more compete to offer and will do it. they will have to take away the momentum from the flyers and make them start doubting themselves. desperation hockey will be required, we either need a split or at the very least a loss in which the game is much tighter where we had some periods of clear domination.
After that 4th goal on halak the team quit and mailed it in. I don't blame em, its been a long run with a long way to go..who wants to start paying the physical price to score, cycle, draw penalties, etc just to expend energy and get the score to 4-1 or 4-2.

Game 2 starts with a clean slate and I expect the team to respond.

The habs played undisciplined and gave away PP opportunities and philly capitalized..it didnt help that PK blew a tire and also fanned on the puck following a faceoff win or that halak was sub-par. I agree with what was posted earlier, if your going to play badly at least its good that everyone played poorly and got it out of their system, its not like they wasted a brilliant performance by halak or lost 6-5...

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Ross MacLochness

Not better or worse than losing 2-1 in overtime. In the playoffs results get forgotten the second its completed. All you can do is look back at things you did wrong and things they did right and try to make changes.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:09 PM
The Real Guy Lafleur

Stupid puck didn't bounce our way.

No worries, we have secret power with us!

We didn't win 24 cups for nothing in the past.

We will prevail!

The Real Guy Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Chicago vs Van, rnd 2
Mtl vs Pens Rnd 2

none of those were won by six goals

Quote:
I'm wondering if there are many teams in the history of the NHL that lost a game (any of the games, just not game 1) by 6 goals and still won the series.

Detroit beat SJ 7-1 in round 2 and still lost series (though they were down 3-0 in the series at that point)

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
m00ks

Well we might as well get it out of the way early. Lots of adjustments have to be made, like doing a better job at blocking in the shooting lane or picking up guys bumrushing the net. If they allow more 4+ next game, well, then we know where this series is heading.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
JayBee*

Why was Obyrne not dressed? Baffling

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Actually this was more reminiscent of game 3, where we got blown out at home. We stank up the next game too. At least we know we have teh ability to buckle down our D when required.

Scoring's my main concern.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
tinyzombies

The worst part is that it will be an easy series physically for the Flyers, so they can heal up. Doesn't mean they will win, but they will get stronger as it goes on no doubt. We have to make them skate and control the puck better and reduce turnovers.

We did not look ready to play right from the start and even worse looked scared. We'll see after the adjustments tho. They got to the scoring areas pretty easily as well.

We need to toughen up, but not take stupid penalties.

Also, not sure the counter-attack is going to work this time. Philly has good speed up front and smart defenders who back off. I would like to see more of an aggressive forecheck. We need to overload the puck as well because we aren't winning one-on-one battles. We aren't a good cycle team with the exception of Gomez-Gionta though so, as Muller said, we need to use the points more since Philly is collapsing. As Martin said, we have to get back to our short passing game to take them out of their physical play and frustrate them into penalties.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:59 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Well, the good part is that we know how to beat the Flyers.

Everything we did last night, don't do that.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
i dont know if a team ever won a series if the lose game one by 6 goals but does it matter this year whether something has never happened before?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:20 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Chicago vs Van, rnd 2
Mtl vs Pens Rnd 2

I said losing BY 6 goals not conceding 6 goals.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

Detroit beat SJ 7-1 in round 2 and still lost series (though they were down 3-0 in the series at that point)
You are right about this one.
I guess that was already too old for me to remember

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
JayBee*

If the Habs can't have someone else besides Cam and Gionta scoring goals then it's over. Philly will score a lot more goals than the Pens cuz they crash the net. Habs will have a hard time scoring because they get killed along the boards and Philly's top 4 D is very very good. Perimeter play just plays into Philly's hands and allows Leighton to look like Dryden.

Think about it. Did Leighton have a tough time on any shots? No, cuz they were all taken from the boards 20+ ft away.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

The Habs are clearly done. No way any team in these playoffs could come back from a 1-0 deficit.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

I hate MAB on the ice but what he said in his post game interview sums it up :

"we watched them too much, trying to figure out what kind of team they where, and they showed us, it was clear to everyone what needs to be done"

Losing 1-0 or 2-0 might not have been as revealing, I know Jaro will bounce back and the guys will be hungry.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Markov4Captain

I wouldn't call last nights game a complete meltdown. We had scoring chances and if the puck could have bounced our way then I think that we could have scored a goal or two. But, the only positif i can think of is the fact that everything that could have gone wrong, whether it be Halak not standing on his head or Gill-Gorges pairing being "horrible", went wrong in one single game. If the team wasn't going to show up, I rather it be in the beginning of the series, ideally Game 1, just to get it out of their system. Now, they boys need to bounce back and show people why they are the team that managed eliminating the Caps and the Pens.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:

I actually did some research because, well, I obviously don't have anything better to do. I went back till 1994 (current system) and San Jose's the 6th team since then to do so.
5 teams have won the first game 6-0:

Carolina wins Game 1 against New Jersey 6-0; wins the series 4-1

St. Louis wins Game 1 against Vancouver 6-0; loses the series 3-4
(Also the last time a team lost the series despite winning any game by 6+ goals until this year)

Colorado wins Game 1 against Chicago 6-0; wins the series 4-3

Detroit wins Game 1 against San Jose 6-0; wins the series 4-0

The Rangers win Game 1 against the Islanders 6-0; win the series 4-0

So teams are 4-1 in that department.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
The pens lost game 5 of last years Stanley cup finals 5-0 to Detroit. Its not over quite yet
Thing is, their system was such that it would allow them to beat Detroit. I'm still trying to figure out HOW to do this, given Pit had Malkin and Crosby and everybody playing perfect hockey. Size was not a factor in that series. It was execution, sort of like in the last of our two rounds.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote